The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old April 03, 2018, 06:28   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
HAC 7 Up for Sale

This isn't mine, but a local FFL's here in MA. Kind of a rare bird. Test fired only and has all of the accessories with it. Too spendy for me at $4K, but if you ever wanted one, this may be a good specimen.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/xe...-rifle.334136/

Noah's Motors - NMSAMA MFG.

622 Broadway, US Rt. 1 N.
Saugus, MA 01906

Please call shop for more information and availability
781-233-1616

Old April 03, 2018, 06:33   #2
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/756004533
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 07:02   #3
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Kinda cool rifles but nearly every one I’ve ever encountered was way over-valued by the seller on the assumption that rarity automatically means value. The one nwobhm linked is obviously more realistic.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 07:32   #4
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I like the folder. Its like a cool, dystopian SCAR17.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 03, 2018 at 09:17.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 08:23   #5
jdmcomp
Registered

FALaholic #: 8267
While an interesting design, it was never fully worked out and suffers from many flaws. Like many new designs, only testing and lots of shooting will ever make a reliable gun. This one was not that gun.
jdmcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 10:15   #6
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
Actually, the one linked to was way underpriced. That's why it sold in a day with Buy Now. If it hadn't had that option it would have passed 3k easily. Not the greatest rifle in the world but it is more rare than you think. I don't remember total production and don't feel like looking it up, but want to guess around 300,....and I know one guy in WV who owns more than half of them. That doesn't leave too many available.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 10:56   #7
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
You can keep it.
I paid less that $4k for BOTH of these.
762gunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 12:08   #8
M90A1
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 3409
I had two of the HAC7 carbines. Neither one worked very well. Sold 'em a long time ago.
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 12:45   #9
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Actually, the one linked to was way underpriced. That's why it sold in a day with Buy Now. If it hadn't had that option it would have passed 3k easily. Not the greatest rifle in the world but it is more rare than you think. I don't remember total production and don't feel like looking it up, but want to guess around 300,....and I know one guy in WV who owns more than half of them. That doesn't leave too many available.
Way under priced or properly priced?

Bidders:

marioc11 A+(35)
WAMCollection A+(21)
eramse05 A+(51)
Zebra82 A+(1)
Bullet Hose A+(13)
SpringtownGuns A+(107)
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh A+(16)
wgoren911 A+(1)

8 people were involved in bidding on that rifle. 7 of them must not have thought it was going to hit $2,000.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2018, 17:19   #10
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
Way under priced. You can't tell anything from a 7 day listing that ended in a day. Seven bidders tried to steal it until the eighth bidder did. People will throw a low bid on almost anything. I swear if you auctioned a hundred dollar bill and opened it at a penny with a BN of $50 you'd see the exact same thing. I'm constantly buying items on GB with absurdly low BN prices and there are usually a whole list of people bidding on it.

I looked at the bidder list before posting. First thing I noticed was that the winning bidder is an FFL,......wanna bet he flips it for a hefty profit? There's some room there between the $2k that he paid and the $5k for the one on there now.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018, 23:49   #11
yarro
Registered

FALaholic #: 28278
Buying something for 30-40% less than the going rate on a buy it now when others are bidding on it makes me giggle every time.

-yarro
Old April 19, 2018, 07:25   #12
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Looking at the Forgotten Weapons video of this now, I'm not so sure I like it. That side cover held on with two flimsy tubular rivets is pretty lame.
Old April 19, 2018, 07:48   #13
imacoonass01
Registered

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762gunr View Post
You can keep it.

That's, what I'm talking about!!!!
imacoonass01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018, 09:53   #14
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Might be misremembering, but I seem to recall Peter Kokalis liked the HAC in an SOF article he wrote ? Not that that is saying much, even if I am remembering correctly.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018, 11:15   #15
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Well regardless of whether this thing sold for too much or too little or its a great design or a poor design...I got to learn something new today. I had no idea such a thing existed and what little history there is out there about this is pretty interesting. a by-gone era for sure. I enjoy learning about things like this that were going on while I was growing up around firearms but that I knew absolutely nothing about. Kind of reminds me of the history I read about Interarms a while back. So much went on that I was unaware of.
Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018, 19:16   #16
Bubacus
Registered

Incognito,

Here is some great info and a full scan of the original Firepower magazine interview:

http://aftermathgunclub.com/2014/01/...olloway-hac-7/

Old April 20, 2018, 19:26   #17
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Very cool read- thanks for posting this up Bubacus

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
Old April 22, 2018, 09:51   #18
1gewehr
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762gunr View Post
You can keep it.
Hmm, I remember the Galil 7.62 being available in 1984, but not the SCAR. And in 1984, the 7.62 Galil cost more than a HAC-7. And 7.62 Galil mags were even more scarce than HAC-7 mags. For that matter, they still are.

I was really pulling for the HAC-7 to sort out it's problems. Sadly, the company folded before they got it really ready for prime time.

I can't see anyone today actually planning on relying on either the HAC-7 or 7.62 Galil as a primary weapon. In the US, they are both really collector's items. Eventually, even my beloved FALs will end up in that category.
Old April 22, 2018, 12:03   #19
MK ULTRA
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gewehr View Post
Hmm, I remember the Galil 7.62 being available in 1984, but not the SCAR. And in 1984, the 7.62 Galil cost more than a HAC-7. And 7.62 Galil mags were even more scarce than HAC-7 mags. For that matter, they still are.

I was really pulling for the HAC-7 to sort out it's problems. Sadly, the company folded before they got it really ready for prime time.

I can't see anyone today actually planning on relying on either the HAC-7 or 7.62 Galil as a primary weapon. In the US, they are both really collector's items. Eventually, even my beloved FALs will end up in that category.
The SCAR was not available in 84.

MK ULTRA.....OUT.....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Statesman and Inventor: 1759

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.....
MK ULTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018, 12:16   #20
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Regardless of the pros/cons of the HAC-7 or SCAR, it is hard to beat a 7.62 Galil ARM for cool factor IMO.

Old April 22, 2018, 12:22   #21
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
Regardless of the pros/cons of the HAC-7 or SCAR, it is hard to beat a 7.62 Galil ARM for cool factor IMO.
Hear, hear !!!

I've owned a couple in both calibers and always liked them. As my need for optics increased, the Galils got sold as they are not particularly easy to put a good, practical scope mount on. The mounts I tried were always way high. Great rifles, though !

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 13:14   #22
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I'd love to see a version of the HAC-7 with all of the kinks ironed out. Seems like a very well-thought-out rifle, and it's certainly unique.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 13:44   #23
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Looks like a FAL that had an orgy with a Galil, HK, Armalite and a VZ58
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 15:14   #24
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
There were only 300 HAC7s built. A number of those were left handed.
I do not know why Bob Holloway stopped production of these rarities.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 15:15   #25
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanjoe View Post
Looks like a FAL that had an orgy with a Galil, HK, Armalite and a VZ58
Holloway took what he considered the best of several rifles and put those features into one.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 19:00   #26
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut1 View Post
The usual reasons: lack of funding and poor sales. Most small business fail in their first two years for lack of funding, inadequate cash flow and several similar reasons. When I worked at LWRC, I learned several valuable lessons about business in general and the gun business in particular. The very first is that you need at least 6 to 12 months of operating funding in hand prior to starting. Without that, you are screwed and will have an uphill fight to be successful, especially if you are in manufacturing.

I was fortunate to attend an industry conference in Richmond VA with many major players from Colt, Picatinny and other groups on the future of small arms acquisition. Many speakers were very interesting including Reed Knight Jr. Knight stated "I don't think you really know everything about the guns you make until you've made at least a thousand of them." At the time, I was pretty arrogant and thought "hah, we know all there is to know about our guns."

However, moving from a boutique manufacturer of maybe 300 guns per year to 1000 guns a month soon illuminated issues with LWRC International (the successors to the company I worked for) rifles that proved Reed Knight to be right. You can make one of anything that will work; production is entirely different.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 12:16   #27
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut1 View Post
Ian at Forgotten Weapons did an excellent video on this rifle. There were a few teething and durability issues with it, which could have been fixed had production not folded.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018, 21:00   #28
Bubacus
Registered

Speaking of Ian:

They Also have a Registry for the HAC-7 at http://hollowayarms.com/

BiggerHammer.net message board has been slow on these for years, but if you are interested in checking out the owners manual and lots of pics:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/hac7/
Old April 30, 2018, 03:46   #29
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
I remember the HAC-7 very well.. a buddy and myself were involved in a personal arms-race at the time they came out... we came close to droppin the dollars for a couple of them but for whatever reason shelved the idea and bought a passel of Mitchell Arms Yugo AK's instead. Glad we did, the HAC-7 never came close to living up to the hype in the firearms media of the time. The HAC was alas another fallen by the wayside "almost-was" American firearm. The Mitchell Yugos on the other hand have given trouble-free service for the last 30+ years. What the Yugos didnt accomplish was filled in by M1A's, FALs and H&K...
It has been a good time to enjoy firearms in America.. and for those just coming on to the firearms scene, may your journeys be as free and varied as we have enjoyed!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2018, 09:53   #30
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by STGThndr View Post
It has been a good time to enjoy firearms in America.. and for those just coming on to the firearms scene, may your journeys be as free and varied as we have enjoyed!
I agree, but I feel that we are teetering on the end of the golden age of firearms in the US. I actually feel like we have had two golden ages: The 70's, 80's, & early 90's gave us the likes of Galils, FNCs, HKs, FALs, SIG 550s, Valmets, Daewoos, AKs, Beretta AR 70s, AUGs, Uzis, etc. That age ended with the '89 and '94 bans. The second golden age started some time around 2000 and has much less variety but I think it has a much larger following. This second golden age is centered around ARs, AKs, and a few other varieties adding some spice like the SCARs, Tavors, Galil Aces, CZ Bren, Beretta, etc.

With the current push by the left it feels like this could all come to an end, again. And this time it would probably be permanent. All of my favorite firearms are a result of that first golden age. So much rich history behind all of those cold war service rifles. That period and those firearms will always be THE golden era for me.
Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2018, 18:37   #31
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I agree, but I feel that we are teetering on the end of the golden age of firearms in the US. I actually feel like we have had two golden ages: The 70's, 80's, & early 90's gave us the likes of Galils, FNCs, HKs, FALs, SIG 550s, Valmets, Daewoos, AKs, Beretta AR 70s, AUGs, Uzis, etc. That age ended with the '89 and '94 bans. The second golden age started some time around 2000 and has much less variety but I think it has a much larger following. This second golden age is centered around ARs, AKs, and a few other varieties adding some spice like the SCARs, Tavors, Galil Aces, CZ Bren, Beretta, etc.

With the current push by the left it feels like this could all come to an end, again. And this time it would probably be permanent. All of my favorite firearms are a result of that first golden age. So much rich history behind all of those cold war service rifles. That period and those firearms will always be THE golden era for me.
As to the "second golden age," that you speak of, I feel like it began in 2004-05 with the sunset of the '94 Clinton-era ban. And I agree, much less variety by comparison but def good if you're a newbie to the hobby.

Old May 08, 2018, 21:19   #32
Bubacus
Registered

One of the best things to come out of the ban era was the Robinson M96. It was a victim of cirumstance and poor support. I think that if Robinson was to make a run at these today, they would be quite popular.