Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old October 18, 2017, 07:20   #1
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Another view of Millenials and entitlement

A former co-worker of mine at a named big-time Aerospace/Defense company left the same day as did I about 6 years ago. She to grow her own high-end cake company, I to take another gig in R&D.

She was already successful doing her cakes part-time and went on to win the Food Channel's "Cake Wars" competition. That being said, her skills were strongly needed back in the Defense world and a few of us lobbied her to consider a job higher up the Org Chart than when she left. Her interview process was pretty strenuous, multiple interviews - and she passed with flying colors. This note is what she posted yesterday on her baking blog.

She ain't that old, she's just wise. Her perceptions of the younger kids and job-hunting and entitlement are spot on. This is a large reason we can't fill technical positions any longer - whether on the shop floor or Management.

Pasted from her blog:

Quote:
Story time:
Today I met with my consultants for an engineering project. I learned why I was hired for my position and I'm sharing the story as an FYI and maybe it'll help someone who's struggling for work:
Before I go into the main reason I was hired, I found out the second reason I was hired was because I successfully ran my own business for so many years. This topic came up because the consultants joked and asked if I brought cupcakes. I had a confused look on my face because I'm in engineer mode and I don't advertise cakes anywhere in my work world. They told me they googled me and discovered my bakery and my food network win �� moral of the story #1: everyone googles you... better check the internet often to see what it's got on You!
So then the conversation shifted to how new college grads handle job interviews. One consultant recently interviewed a young guy and this dude called and said he was running late to the intervew. When asked if he was stuck in traffic he replied "no no, I'm going to stop at Starbucks for coffee." I DIED. like ... What the major heck!!!! So I told this consultant "wow when my now boss called me for the interview he wanted to work around my schedule since I had a job. I told him that I appreciate his willingness to work with me but I preferred to work with his schedule. I told him "tell me a day and time and I'll make it work from my end."
The consultant said "and THAT very reason is why you got hired. Your work ethic set you apart from everyone. Anyone can learn technical skills but work ethic is hard to find" My parents did a fine job raising me ��
It was food for thought for me, and I hope for you too still shocked about the Starbucks guy ��
Apparently another guy turned down an interview date because he had beach plans that day!!!!!!!!!
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 08:59   #2
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
It's not just millenials. Every generation has its fair share of worthless people. I work with a lot of boomers who feel extremely entitled to govt bennies. Free healthcare, social security pensions etc. What do you mean I shouldn't buy this $50,000 truck? I'm 60 and have 150k saved for retirement!
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 11:12   #3
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yep,

Those are good life and work lessons. Anyone that tries to tell me boomers are paragons of work ethic doesn't remember that their generation brought us beatnicks, hippies and draft dodgers.

Pot meet kettle.

Good lessons though.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 11:35   #4
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
My millenial grandson, who I raised from age 6 on, who is now age 29 and a Lawyer, got "indoctrinated" by me.

Only the old, hard ways and old laws, will save humanity.

The result of my work with him is plain over time. He won his first case, a loser dog that they threw him.............he did research that showed, like what Smokey Yunick said..."most of what goes for fact, is mostly rumor and myth passed around so long, it is gospel." I wonder who he got that idea from? I also told him about lawyers being 60% incompetent snowflake assholes or worse, and to act like Attilla the Hun against them.

He got $15 mill settlement after he was able to show that the City's experts were full of shit. The city expected to settle for 2 million. Kid's boss was in shock.

http://www.edelmanpclaw.com/About/
He's the young tall kid in the back row, properly dressed.

Don't cross him, he's dangerous.

Last edited by V guy; October 18, 2017 at 14:09.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 13:53   #5
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
Interesting comment on the Internet - I worry about it.

There are things you may say or do in your teens or later online, that will be there forever. Even if you change your mind, values, opinions - it can come up to bite you. I know I've drastically changed mine since I started using the internet during High School and I'd probably shudder at the way I used to talk... all bratty and such.

But especially if you someone runs for public office.

I expect our future to have a lot of millennials running for office and old internet crap being brought up.

"Ah, we see here Candidate John Burgen had an account at Ashley Madison, looking for X and Y to be performed while watching Full House and drinking a Coca-Cola Slushie... And I bet he didn't pay a Sugar Tax on that Coca-Cola even though he lived in New York City!!"

"Well Candidate Amy Fuller, she may be a man now, but when he was a she - she posted her butthole on snapchat once to get back at a guy for cheating on him... her..."

"And Candidate Tommy Matthew once dressed as a Taco Salesman for Halloween when he was 16 - White Privilege once again gets away with Culture Appropriation!"

Okay maybe not, but things will come out.
Old October 18, 2017, 14:26   #6
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
There is a mindset in the "me" generation about entitlement.

A few years ago I set up a complete new facility in FL. This was a ground-up new location started with 3 guys and a truck, now at 80 something employees and 200,000 sq ft facility.

Anyway, when we first reached the point of needing a real office with real staff, I needed a receptionist / data entry clerk. I had well over a hundred applicants to sort through and finally picked one particular girl, smart, good work background, in her early 30s, I thought was mature.

I told her she could pick her own works hours on how we would do this schedule, at least until we grew more. Start between 7-9. End between 3 and 5. One hour, half hour, or no lunch hour with a snack at her desk. "Just pick what works for you and be consistent everyday so we all know when you will be here and available. All I want is consistency".

She picked her own hours and still could not get to work on time or show up every day. Kid sick, kid missed the bus, my mom died, my alarm did not go off, my kid's mom died, there was heavy traffic because of a wreck, I think I have cancer, my car won't start, my husband left me, my husband is sick, yada, yada, yada

Yes she got sent "down the road" eventually and then sued for unemployment. She never failed a drug test, but I am 90% sure this was all drug related which sadly brings in a whole other can of worms on so many of our younger generation.
Old October 18, 2017, 15:06   #7
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
There is a mindset in the "me" generation about entitlement.

A few years ago I set up a complete new facility in FL. This was a ground-up new location started with 3 guys and a truck, now at 80 something employees and 200,000 sq ft facility.

Anyway, when we first reached the point of needing a real office with real staff, I needed a receptionist / data entry clerk. I had well over a hundred applicants to sort through and finally picked one particular girl, smart, good work background, in her early 30s, I thought was mature.

I told her she could pick her own works hours on how we would do this schedule, at least until we grew more. Start between 7-9. End between 3 and 5. One hour, half hour, or no lunch hour with a snack at her desk. "Just pick what works for you and be consistent everyday so we all know when you will be here and available. All I want is consistency".

She picked her own hours and still could not get to work on time or show up every day. Kid sick, kid missed the bus, my mom died, my alarm did not go off, my kid's mom died, there was heavy traffic because of a wreck, I think I have cancer, my car won't start, my husband left me, my husband is sick, yada, yada, yada

Yes she got sent "down the road" eventually and then sued for unemployment. She never failed a drug test, but I am 90% sure this was all drug related which sadly brings in a whole other can of worms on so many of our younger generation.
She did not say "my kid's mom died..." I've met some liars and idiots, and some lying idiots, but I don't think I've ever heard one that good...
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 15:09   #8
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfranz View Post
She did not say "my kid's mom died..." I've met some liars and idiots, and some lying idiots, but I don't think I've ever heard one that good...
Yes indeed she did. You have not yet experienced "the pleasure" of dealing with a crack head's excuses of why they could not get to work my friend.
Old October 18, 2017, 16:42   #9
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Yes indeed she did. You have not yet experienced "the pleasure" of dealing with a crack head's excuses of why they could not get to work my friend.
Or why they are driving a stolen car: "These aren't my pants and I found the car keys in them." No shit, verbatim quote. Couldn't explain why there was meth in the pants along with his wallet tho'...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 18:53   #10
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Well, not why they were late for work, but Ive dealt with some crack/meth heads. I even had students whose opposite grandparents married making the mom and dad their brother and siste of their own kids. Believe me I've heard some stuuuuuupid shit including "stop trying to trip me up by using the facts" and "you'll never work this side of the Himalayas again", but "I was late because I died" hasn't been one of them. That's a dandy.
Old October 18, 2017, 19:46   #11
gunshack
Off Script
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17916
She baked a cake replica of Han Solo encased in carbonite!

I think I'm in love.
gunshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 21:02   #12
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Or why they are driving a stolen car: "These aren't my pants and I found the car keys in them." No shit, verbatim quote. Couldn't explain why there was meth in the pants along with his wallet tho'...
The meth was in the pants when he found them in the dumpster!
Old October 18, 2017, 21:28   #13
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Sounds like she had some specialized skill that was in demand and they came to her. That's why she got the job.

I call B.S. on 'work ethic', because probably 90% of all Corporations don't give a damn about work ethic anymore. If they did, older employees who have worked their entire adult lives wouldn't be scraping and scrounging for decent jobs these days.

Most people doing the hiring don't care about 'work ethic'. They want someone who won't eat up benefits costs (ie. no kids, no older person ailments), who they can push beyond a normal 40 hour work week and not pay more (everyone is Exempt ! - thanks crappy labor laws), and who will be easily replaced with another drone or person from India if they complain.

You want to be in demand, you need to have some very specialized skills that happen to be exactly what that person doing the hiring wants. Being smart, having a proven work record and work ethic...? pfft. Not worth what it used to be.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017, 09:50   #14
akajun
Registered

FALaholic #: 22516
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
" Mayynn, These aint even much my pants." This is a universal shitbag statement. Even met a London Bobby who said he hears it all the time.
akajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 08:23   #15
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
It's not just millenials. Every generation has its fair share of worthless people.
Here are things I have heard from both Gen X and Millenials:
  • When asked to name a major obstacle they had overcome in life in order to accomplish goals, the job candidate answered "Well, I have had some bad days and I overcame them all."
  • When discussing the proper use of the passing lane, the Gen X'er stated as loud as possible "I drive at speeds that I feel are comfortable and safe and I pick the lane I want. I dont move for anyone."
  • When the employee was caught stealing from another employee, she responded "I am pretty sure people have stolen from me too."
  • When the same employee was fired: "I refuse to leave my work station until my attorney calls me back as I fell this firing may be illegal."
  • An employee who was advised his car was drooling gasoline into a large puddle in the parking lot: "Yeah, it's been doing that for a few days. Do you think it is serious?"
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 08:52   #16
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet View Post
Here are things I have heard from both Gen X and Millenials:
  • When discussing the proper use of the passing lane, the Gen X'er stated as loud as possible "I drive at speeds that I feel are comfortable and safe and I pick the lane I want. I dont move for anyone."
There's a very special Hell for people who do that.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 12:03   #17
chet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1082
Tell me about it, Story. I live in a major southern MSA. On the backroads, people are imminently polite. Get on a highway with 2 or more lanes running the same direction and they lose all sense of courtesy. Morning and evening rush hours are BIZARRE - people load up the passing lane and just sandbag each other and its often intentional. Meanwhile, the right lane now seems to be the "exit lane" and it's often less congested than the others. I pass left lane bandits on the right all the time and, I guess, they just dont understand why I stare at them as I go by.

As soon as I get around them, I remember that person votes too. Time and tax thieves.
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 12:52   #18
starbuck
Registered

FALaholic #: 26466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Sounds like she had some specialized skill that was in demand and they came to her. That's why she got the job.

I call B.S. on 'work ethic', because probably 90% of all Corporations don't give a damn about work ethic anymore. If they did, older employees who have worked their entire adult lives wouldn't be scraping and scrounging for decent jobs these days.

Most people doing the hiring don't care about 'work ethic'. They want someone who won't eat up benefits costs (ie. no kids, no older person ailments), who they can push beyond a normal 40 hour work week and not pay more (everyone is Exempt ! - thanks crappy labor laws), and who will be easily replaced with another drone or person from India if they complain.

You want to be in demand, you need to have some very specialized skills that happen to be exactly what that person doing the hiring wants. Being smart, having a proven work record and work ethic...? pfft. Not worth what it used to be.
There is a lot of truth to this. I've been asked to do ridiculous things as an engineer, and I'm in the best possible scenario since my boss actually owns the company. Most places, your boss has very little say over very serious decisions, even if his title is president because some dude running the tax shelter in Ireland is calling the shots. Its a two way street, just do a professional job and try to keep your boundaries. When its time to go, don't look back. I've made thousands of dollars more with each move, and only had one real raise.
Old October 20, 2017, 15:56   #19
Marksman1
Registered

FALaholic #: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
My millenial grandson, who I raised from age 6 on, who is now age 29 and a Lawyer, got "indoctrinated" by me.

Only the old, hard ways and old laws, will save humanity.

The result of my work with him is plain over time. He won his first case, a loser dog that they threw him.............he did research that showed, like what Smokey Yunick said..."most of what goes for fact, is mostly rumor and myth passed around so long, it is gospel." I wonder who he got that idea from? I also told him about lawyers being 60% incompetent snowflake assholes or worse, and to act like Attilla the Hun against them.

He got $15 mill settlement after he was able to show that the City's experts were full of shit. The city expected to settle for 2 million. Kid's boss was in shock.

http://www.edelmanpclaw.com/About/
He's the young tall kid in the back row, properly dressed.

Don't cross him, he's dangerous.
Love it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles"

Jeff Cooper-The Art of The Rifle.
Marksman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 17:12   #20
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
There's a very special Hell for people who do that.
I pray daily that this is true. It's the only thing letting me cope.

I swear I want slow people and semi drivers in the right lane more than I want world peace.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 19:50   #21
Arby
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
I swear I want slow people and semi drivers in the right lane more than I want world peace.

This subject needs it's own forum.

I submit this as a theme song for that forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzIHnVj1M7o
Arby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 19:50   #22
arashi
Registered

FALaholic #: 15871
Why should millenials care at all?

The baby boomers left them in a debt ridden world of shit.

Then the baby boomers demand payment from those they indebted in the first place.

This stuff happened before the millenials were even able to vote!
Old October 20, 2017, 20:02   #23
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by arashi View Post
Why should millenials care at all?

The baby boomers left them in a debt ridden world of shit.

Then the baby boomers demand payment from those they indebted in the first place.

This stuff happened before the millenials were even able to vote!
The course they're pursuing ("free" shit from Bernie) isn't going to help matters, however. Hell, if they have their way, we'll double down on stupidity.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017, 21:07   #24
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
arashi,

You quit making boomers look bad they dont like fact they're hypocrits and their parents thought they were slackers that lacked work ethic.

If we could only hear the comments from the greatest generation as they hired boomers. Probably be laughing our ass off.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017, 16:48   #25
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

https://www.buzzfeed.com/taylorloren...k64#.fnZMne8ye
Old October 21, 2017, 16:52   #26
Story
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post

This subject needs it's own forum.

I submit this as a theme song for that forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzIHnVj1M7o
I know how to solve the problem, and I've got the music to do it to.

Last edited by Story; May 17, 2018 at 16:15.
Old May 16, 2018, 16:52   #27
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
The Nature of Millennials

Old May 16, 2018, 19:46   #28
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
Quote:
I know how to solve the problem, and I've got the music to do it to.

https://youtu.be/ufUv9H4lcdQ
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2018, 17:06   #29
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
Quote:
I've made thousands of dollars more with each move, and only had one real raise.
Yep, that'll work good until you turn 50!! I changed jobs and spent half of my engineering career as a "contract engineer".

I had some contract jobs that lasted longer then "regular jobs"
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 09:46   #30
Story
Registered

Another Millenial moment

Anyone know this guy's ARFCOM screenname?

Quote:
JUNE 20--A Kansas man was charged today with lewd and lascivious behavior for his repeated attempts to have sex with the tailpipe of a parked automobile, according to court records.

Ryan Malek, 23, was named in a Municipal Court complaint accusing him of exposing himself with the intent of arousing or gratifying “sexual desires.” Malek has been summoned to appear in court on July 19 to answer the criminal charge.

Pictured above, Malek, cops say, was intoxicated when he sought to tryst with a vehicle on May 1 in Newton, a city 25 miles north of Wichita.

Local cops responding to a 911 call about a man beneath a vehicle discovered Malek endeavoring to place his penis into the tailpipe of a car parked outside an apartment complex. Malek, a Newton resident, was “oblivious” when initially contacted by police.

Malek, whose blood alcohol content was later measured at more than four times the legal limit, continued trying to have sex with the tailpipe in the presence of officers. Cops subsequently tased Malek, took him into custody, and transported him to a local hospital for treatment.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documen...e-tryst-762953

Last edited by Story; June 22, 2018 at 00:06.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:29   #31
Atla
Registered
Contributor

This guy obviously isn't a millennial. But my buddy arrested him, and your article reminded me of it.

What is it with people?

https://www.mcdowellnews.com/communi...ad2174089.html

Quote:
A Marion man faces an obscenity charge after he was caught on camera in front of a manufacturing plant performing a lewd act, authorities said Friday.

Officer Nathaniel T. Greene of the Marion Police Department charged Horace Ray Ferguson, 47, of U.S. 70 East in Marion with felony dissemination of obscenity.

According to arrest warrants, Ferguson was spotted on Clay Street outside of Key Gas Components in Marion on Oct. 22. It is alleged that while on the public street, the suspect used a flashlight to sodomize himself in front of Key Gas for approximately an hour, according to a court document.

After examination of video surveillance, Ferguson was arrested on Thursday, Oct. 26.
Old June 21, 2018, 11:07   #32
Story
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atla View Post
What is it with people?
How much time do you have for the answers?
Old June 21, 2018, 11:27   #33
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
How much time do you have for the answers?
LOL.

That's a rabbit hole I would like to avoid!
Old June 21, 2018, 13:08   #34
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
One of the things I find incredulous today is what flies for an excuse to call in "sick." I'm 7 years in my current position. We earn "x" amount of sick days that roll into perpetuity. I value them and know that one day $#!+ will go down from a healthwise point, and I will need the 7 weeks I currently have on the books.

All in all though I have been pretty damned healthy, but have my occasional cold, allergies, etc. like everyone in the species. I do not see those as reasons to call in. Annoying? Yes. Disabling? Certainly not. For the younger ones here though (under 30ish) a hangnail, bad haircut, dirty looks from a coworker, whatever, renders them bedridden in the fetal position for a couple of days. Company policy says if you call in more than 2 days in a row you have to see a doctor. Almost magically 2 days seems to be the point where EVERYONE gets well! Purely coincidence I'm sure. They fail to see that it will bite them in the ass at some point. Now if they have no plans to make this place a career hell, more power to 'em. But for those that might actually have that severe flu, car wreck, or the big C, and find themselves unable to make the rent because of being short-sighted they will figure it out the hard way. Live and learn I guess.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 19:59   #35
abbynormal
Registered

FALaholic #: 18513
Quote:
Anyone know this guy's ARFCOM screenname?

thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/kansas-man-charged-for-tailpipe-tryst-762953
If the car was an old clapped out 80's Camaro, I'd nominate W.E.G.!!!!!!!!
Old July 22, 2018, 12:07   #36
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
sick sick world.
man, you can't even make up stories that are this bazaar.
must be a liberal trying to reproduce maybe??
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote