Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old August 07, 2012, 23:57   #1
L1A1Johnno
Cresote Fan
Contributor

FALaholic #: 15133
Fitting Metric HTS into inch lower

Before I started losing parts on the garage floor I thought I would ask all of you guys with the years of experience for an answer

To my eye it looks like you could use a metric HTS in an inch lower

Can it be done?

What I would like to do is use a Jard Metric set up in a inch lower.

Minor mods to the lower do not worry me as it will be staying that way forever.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Johnno
L1A1Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 08, 2012, 18:16   #2
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Think you should be able to if you also use metric pins.. not sure how the pin lock would work or the hammer spring/strut, have never really looked into or tried it.
Old August 08, 2012, 20:20   #3
L1A1Johnno
Cresote Fan
Contributor

metric hts in inch

OK thanks
I will start pull things apart this weekend and see what problems need overcoming
Can grind up new pins etc if needed

It is about 130 in our garage at present - faces west- so if it is not to hot we will fly into it and report back

Cheers
Johnno
Old August 09, 2012, 19:46   #4
NHBandit
Registered

FALaholic #: 7986
IIRC inch pins are larger. This would mean you will have to enlarge the holes in the metric HTS components to make them fit and use inch type pins. Doing that to the hammer & trigger might be an easy job, the sear not so much. Unless you have some magic easy way to make the holes in the inch lower smaller ? Not sure having never tried it, where the sleeve used with the inch trigger & sear would play into it. Probably not use one ? Is there enough meat around the oblong hole in the sear to enlarge it safely ? Another variable I'm not sure about. Personally I think you're opening a can of worms that will cause you nothing but headaches. If you have the ability to make new pins I suppose it would be possible to make them metric size but with a slightly larger shoulder on the end where the head of the pin is but you would still have to make some sort of a sleeve for the holes in the lower on the opposite side and a way of keeping the sleeves from coming loose. One thing is certain. It's not a 5 minute job.

Last edited by NHBandit; August 09, 2012 at 20:00.
NHBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2012, 22:31   #5
L1A1Johnno
Cresote Fan
Contributor

metric into inch

Curosity got the better of me again so I pulled an inch and metric apart to see if it could be done

I measured the pivot pins and only and couple of thousands of an inch difference
I measured the distance betwwen pivot holes and they seem the same

Metric Selector fits in inch lower
Used the metric hammer pivot pin and the inch trigger pivot pin - all fit fine to HTS and lower

Here's the catch - you would have to lengthen the trigger hole in the bottom of the inch to allow the metric trigger to fit- but that all it seems OK and easy to do. Just have to run the trigger slot in the inch down to the top side of the trigger pin plate retension slot (about a 1/16 or so)
That way you can use a Jard adjustable trigger, get an instant trigger job on an inch and gain 3 US parts in the process.

Next thing is to fine a crapped out Inch lower and give it a go.
Old September 08, 2012, 15:46   #6
L1A1Johnno
Cresote Fan
Contributor

It works

I do not recommend that you mess with you trigger mechanism unless you are qualified, but you can fit a Jard metric trigger to your inch lower.

I recommend you ask a qualified gunsmith to do this modification and assembly to your receiver.

Cheers

Johnno
Old September 08, 2012, 21:43   #7
dirtshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 4888
Off the top of my head it seems I remember they're different. The inch trigger is longer and I can't remember if it fits in the metric trigger guard.
Also, check the semi-auto selector. How it's cut and how the back of the trigger fits into it might be different. I know some are different. I can't remember if it's the izzy or what that was different but the safety/selector is important to check.