The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 03, 2018, 16:49   #51
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Searched an older house behind my shop today. Probably built around 1940 I'd guess.

I like the Canadian coins,especially the older ones. This guy is 99.9% nickel. Has a very neat signal when you pass the detector over it.Also found a 1949 wheat penny. I showed the property owner the finds,she mentioned she saved wheat pennies,so I gave it to her. All the other pennies were modern,1960's and up.

This was kinda cool.Saginaw is about 30 miles west of me.

And after about 1.5 hours in the electrolysis bath...

RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2018, 19:45   #52
RG Coburn
Registered

Couple more finds from yesterday and today. The 4H pendant I found up behind the stables at the fairgrounds where the Sheriff's Posse used to keep their horses.The spoon I found at a spot where a homestead used to be. Farm field now.

Found this in a field near the other field where I found the spoon. Probably came off a horse drawn single bottom plow,way before they were making tractors.
Old March 04, 2018, 12:46   #53
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
More nice finds RG. I came pretty close on buying a Garret Pinpointer but the reviews I was reading on some of the forums kind of slowed down my forward progress on buying one.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2018, 17:22   #54
RG Coburn
Registered

Can't comment on others,but mine has been awesome. I think the trick to them is figuring out the modes. You don't just keep pushing the button a zillion times. You have to push,wait for the number of beeps,or vibrations,then proceed. Like I said,the videos from Garrett helped me the most in understanding it. And I just kinda figured it out. I was watching other guys go over targets,whip out the pinpointer,and pin the target that was like 4 inches in the ground. I'm like, "hey..mine doesn't do that!" Hmmm...why....watch the video...OH....kay....
Old March 04, 2018, 18:11   #55
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Maybe I'll buy one I know it would have to beat picking your big machine up several times when you have that find that doesn't want to be found.

Mark
Old March 04, 2018, 19:30   #56
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
What I hate are ghost signals.

You'll dig a while and check and it has vanished into thin air.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2018, 20:51   #57
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
My coolest find with a Tesoro Stingray, I still use it occasionally It has some real cool history, and I found it a hundred feet from the the old 1890's address of their office in Tampa about 2000 after a demolition for a parking garage.
Ocean Steamship Company button, I found numerous old brochures from the late 1880's online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OceanSSC.jpg (51.5 KB, 28 views)
Old March 05, 2018, 15:15   #58
RG Coburn
Registered

The Stingray is a waterproof unit,right? Saw one locally on Craigslist a while back. But I already have my 1280x. That is a heck of a neat find. I love finding stuff with anything written or stamped on it. Another thing I like finding is old dog tags. The bow-wow kind.
As far as ghost signals,yeah they can drive you nuts. That MX sport I have will find the tiniest crap,and drive you nuts looking for it. Stuff like a snip of aluminum the size of a fingernail clipping. Or a itty-bitty wad of foil. Found a knurled knob off a modern wrist watch. The pinpointer heps a lot in that area,as it is pulse induction,a different form of metal detection,and works well for getting you right on whatever it is.
Old March 05, 2018, 20:41   #59
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Yes, it is the old model, from 1996, It still works great in saltwater too. Found old casings from WW2 30-06 just the ends in the beaches at Ft DeSoto an old gunnery training place. Several WW2 military and artillery buttons. Indian head pennies, Tampa was closest to New Orleans minted coins so rarer mint marks are possible on the old stuff from the granite curbs downtown. Got a dozen old musket balls .620-.630 with old brown oxidation, from Ft. Brooke no doubt. Compact cases (brass)with old silvered mirrors from the 20's-40's rouge long gone, oh found a Kennedy/Johnson Voting medallion "A Time For Greatness" after a house was demolished, several silver thimbles, ladies fingers were smaller in those days. A 30 cal link, silver chains, rings, a couple small gold rings,A big 5"X4"X2" lead surveyors marker, I should donate this one to the Tampa historical society since I poached it many years ago.Tampa Cadillac co.#147 keyring medallion, and Ybor City was loaded with foreign coins from the teens thru the 30's. Many have found a lot more but I stayed within the lawful areas 99%. I was So tempted to hit a cemetery from the 1890's but love my freedom.
Old March 06, 2018, 15:53   #60
RG Coburn
Registered

Yeah,a lot of you guys are in areas of the nation where there was a lot more diverse traffic than my area,and for far longer. Michigan was primarily a state where people from about 1820 or so onward,went to make a homestead,or cut lumber,or mine something. We don't see the Civil war stuff,or the colonial stuff. We don't even see a lot of Indian artifacts here,though they were around. Now,south of here,along the big rivers,like in Ohio and thereabouts,lots better findings. And I've looked my ass off for artifacts.
New Orleans should be pretty awesome,as it's been there a heck of a long time.
Old March 06, 2018, 19:42   #61
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

How would you like to have this within walking distance? Being it is rarely seen might be some good hunting.

Mark

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/...k-beach-sands/

Last edited by oleblu72; March 07, 2018 at 12:31.
Old March 07, 2018, 21:43   #62
RG Coburn
Registered

There are wrecks along the shore of Huron north of me like that. The State will pinch your nuts if they catch anybody taking stuff off wrecks,even if they aren't in one of the wreck preserves. You can fight them,and maybe even win,but they'll bleed you dry in the process. There isn't really much on the in-shore wrecks,anyways,They are typically really beat to shit and ground down by 150 winters worth of shore ice,waves and winds grinding at them. Even the wrecks at 50-70 feet aren't that great either.
If a wreck like that was maybe in a slow moving river,it might have a better chance of having stuff on it. There are wrecks like that in the Saginaw River,I've seen them on the sidescan sonar. Older hogged-out hulks towed to a out-of-the-way spot,parked,and it just sinks into the mud. These would have typically been stripped of anything of use or value by their owners prior to settling in the bottom.But you never know,until you really start rooting around.
Wrecks that have caught fire on a river often have neat stuff on them,as they tended to burn out and sink before stuff of use could be taken off. These were pretty common back in the day. Sometimes they'd just tow them out into the Bay and let them sink. There is what's left of an old steam tug out off the mouth of the Saginaw River,that burned,just off the old channel,that I'd like to either dive or drop a camera down onto. Tough spot,usually really muddy. Got to pick just the right day.Should be a boiler or an engine still on it.
Old March 08, 2018, 19:41   #63
John A
Registered

I know what you mean.

The Tennessee valley authority is like that around the lakes in northeast Tennessee.

A couple of years ago, they prosecuted some teenagers for digging arrowheads along the lake when the water level was low in late winter.

They pretty much told them they owned everything around the lake, the lake and everything underneath of it.

Disgraceful to say the least.
Old March 09, 2018, 13:21   #64
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I know what you mean.

The Tennessee valley authority is like that around the lakes in northeast Tennessee.

A couple of years ago, they prosecuted some teenagers for digging arrowheads along the lake when the water level was low in late winter.

They pretty much told them they owned everything around the lake, the lake and everything underneath of it.

Disgraceful to say the least.
They might actually own the lake and so on. I don't know the legalities of whatever land titles they hold. Here,there have been successfully won cases where the State overstepped its authority and claims on what it can say it owns. They will always claim ownership or authority,and leave it to the citizen to legally prove they don't. I don't want to see native burial site dug for beads and stone points,but to pinch a guy digging the eroded bank of a river,for points or flakes,which is common knowledge,that these were thoroughfares in the day,this is lunacy.
Our state stone is the Petoskey,and there have been people prosecuted here for picking up too large of Petoskey stones from lakes shores.
If you ever find something interesting on public lands,note it,plot it out,think it thru,and if you do dig it,restore the spot to un-noticeable,and do not advertise you have it.
Old March 09, 2018, 13:48   #65
John A
Registered

I am very much against bothering any form of graveyard. Whether recent or ancient.

But these kids were just metal detecting and had picked up a few arrow heads that they had found laying around through the day.

They weren't charged with desecration of graves. They were charged with criminal trespassing and criminal damage to property best I can remember because they dug a hole. Probably to retrieve a beer bottle lid that had been thrown overboard 10 years ago.

Which would've been submerged a month later once the rainy season commenced.

The moral of the story, know what the law is I guess.
Old April 29, 2018, 20:32   #66
RG Coburn
Registered

Got the opportunity today to detect a yard of a house that looked like Herman Munster's..
Nothing really awesome in the yard. But I noticed a depression in the ground,off the back porch,about where a country boy would think would be an awesome spot to plant an outhouse.So I tell my bud,I'm going to dig a 2 foot deep test hole.And I start finding glass.And stoneware.And old iron.
Bud took this photo while I was focused on things in the hole.

This is the stuff I thought worth dragging back for closer inspection. Buried the rest back in the hole.

The bottles I found were mostly screw-top,so not terribly old.The stoneware was all broken to some degree. The one at the lower left would have been really neat were it intact,with those molded handles and the "6" both carved and painted onto it.

Some sort of ladies compact cover...

This is a bottle stopper,very similar to what Grolsch Beer uses on their bottles,only this one is clear. I like it.

This thing I found out in my yard today,after I got back home.Not sure what it says or does,looks like maybe a build plate? She is soaking right now in an electrolysis bath,so we'll know more in a couple days.
Old April 29, 2018, 23:00   #67
Small Arms Collector
Registered

FALaholic #: 80718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
Been watching youtube vids of metal detecting and it seems interesting, especially the ones from the UK and Europe. My house is old, 1860 old and I imagine there is all kinds of stuff in my yard especially since it was a commercial location years ago so foot traffic would also be be customers and workers, more than family and friends. Also, across the street is an overgrown old trolley stop and track bed. Gotta be lots of dropped stuff over there.
Shopping around for detectors, I see lots of them for about $150+ with some running much more. Do the less expensive ones offer enough performance to be worthwhile and/or are the more expensive ones giving you just a percent or two better performance for lots more money?
I’ve dabbled, and researched more.

Price does matter, it’s not that the more expensive ones “work better,” generally they work about the same, it’s that they can discriminate better and the really nice ones will even be able to predict what the object might be. They are usually all about the same power (though some will offer more depth too), but the difference is that with the cheap metal detectors you will be spending 90%+ of your time digging up aluminum foil, pull tabs, and nails, with the better detectors you will skip those and just focus on the good stuff.

Some general tips:

Avoid water unless your detector is designed for it, most are not and they are not water proof.

Areas like you describe, especially theabandoned trollry stop, are NOTORIOUS for junk. There may be some good stuff, but it may get lost amongst the garbage, you’ll be mostly digging up 100+ year old litter (and newer litter too). The way around this is to buy a detector designed for “contaminated” areas with really good descrimination, or nust be prepared to spend lots and lots of time clearing a few feet a day, or both.

Learn your detector’s sounds, they are all a bit different, know it’s sounds and you will gef a good idea if it is worth digging or not. Different metals will make different sounds, and different objects will makedifferent sounds. This takes practice. The nicer detectors will have a digital display so you don’t have to rely on sound as much and can even sometimes tale a best guess what it might be.

Different kinds of metals are better suited to different detectors. In general all detectors will detect all metal, but some are much better suited to one kind more than another, specificaly non ferous metals verses ferous ones. So really you should have two different detectors, one for ferrous metals, andanother for non ferrous metals. If you can only get one though you’ll have to have a general idea of what your looking for. Ferrous detectors will find more, but most of what they find will be trash, non ferrous detectors will almost never find trash, but they might also miss allot of good stuff. Many will have a mode for each, but the better ones will be dedicated.

Think outside the box about where you detect, some of the best places are places most people wouldn’t think of and are usually remote, the more obvious places are often picked over and full of trash.

Watch where you detect. Be mindful of private property, many people won’t like you trespassing, especually if you are tresspassing anddigging, even if it’s an “abandonned” property, and whatever you find, lefally speaking, elongs to the property owner, so make sure you get permission first. Public property is fine, but be aware that some places specifically ban metal detecting, for example most national park historic sites, and many local ones as well. Who owns that abandoned trolley stop? Can you detect and dig there?

Some objects are easy to miss. You should periodicly stop digging and rescan your dig site, and also your dirt pile.

If you dig a hole, fill it back up and try to restore the site before you leave.

Some of the more “interesting” areas may have metal detecting countermeasures in place, there are metal laiden substances which can be spread around a site to turn the whole place “hot” to prevent most (but not all) detectors from being able to detect anything else, and the low cost version of that may be to simply to spread steel BBs and lead shot around a site. Better detectors can defeat these countermeasures, but the chaper ones usually wont.

You may want a sifter plate as well, and maybe a gold pan.
Small Arms Collector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018, 09:49   #68
RG Coburn
Registered

Well,I got impatient,pulled the iron plate from the electrolysis this morning,and took it in to the shop and hit it in the cabinet with alum oxide.
This thing turned out to be the best find of yesterday.
Boss & Acme churns were the old barrel-style butter churns. This thing is heavy,like maybe 5 lbs of iron,so I'm kinda thinking it served as both a build plate and as a counter-weight.

This page mentions HH Palmer and his churns. Apparently,a pretty competitive industry.
Strange,too,I actually have an old barrel-type butter churn that my mother passed down to me. We always just kept winter hats and mittens in it,never used it as a churn. It would be something if it were a Palmer churn.
http://www.webpal.org/SAFE/aaarecove..._Churns_1.html

Old April 30, 2018, 09:55   #69
RG Coburn
Registered

Small Arms Collector...
You being in Port Huron...awesome spot. There has been traffic in your neighborhood since LaSalle sailed the Griffon thru there. Man,some of those old places along the river...killer areas. I have dived the St.Clair River,and yeah,there is stuff on the bottom out there still. Pretty tough diving,decent current.
Do you metal detect,currently?
Old April 30, 2018, 16:28   #70
Small Arms Collector
Registered

FALaholic #: 80718
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Small Arms Collector...
You being in Port Huron...awesome spot. There has been traffic in your neighborhood since LaSalle sailed the Griffon thru there. Man,some of those old places along the river...killer areas. I have dived the St.Clair River,and yeah,there is stuff on the bottom out there still. Pretty tough diving,decent current.
Do you metal detect,currently?
I’ve fidgeted out in the yard and wouldn’t mind doing more but my detector is of the ultra cheap variety, not sure how productive it would be. I thought about the beach but there is a big “no metal detecting” sign up down there, I think that only applies near the Fort Gratiot lighthouse, but I would hate to deal with confused cops. Still, I might give it a go someday.

My yard finds were unfortunately unimpressive, though numerous. Lots of change (modern), a few hot rocks, a few pieces of slag or “clunkers” (I suspect either old welding left overs or the recently demolished coal fired powerplant in the area), some random pieces of scrap metal and steel tubing, various automotive screws and scraps (I suspect someone used to work on cars in my yard), a paint can lid, and lots of aluminum foil.

There is a public park where Thomas Edison’s childhood home used to be that may be interesting, though I am unsure how the city would react to metal detecting there, and I’m not sure who to ask, I’m still relatively new to this, I’ve done lots of reading, but not much detecting. There is also a former rail yard by the St. Clair River, and a (rail) ferry dock that is now stripped of tracks and serves as a vast (and usually empty) dirt parking lot that gets used during the Mackinak boat race, but that’s about it, the only other thing down there is a small seasonal cafe and a farmers market, but I’m not sure if it (the parking lot) is public or private property. A section of the old rail bed is also still present (sans tracks), but it has had a paved walking/biking path installed and one section passes through “sensitive wetlands (I.E. a swamp).” A unique (one of a kind) rail drawdridge is also still present down there, it’s a local landmark but it sits on the Yaught Club’s property and they are known to be hostile regarding that bridge and have been trying to get permission to tear it down so I doubt they would approve. A section of intact line still exists heading into the old, original, Port Huron to Sarnia Ontario train tunnel (the world’s first international train tunnel), which goes under the St. Claire River, but it is just yards away from the still very active modern tunnel. The land is owned by CN and posted no trespassing, also about half of it, including the tunnel, is behind a fence in a security area monitered by Border Patrol cameras (the old tunnel, from what I hear, has had a wall constructed somewhere inside to block it off, it also was prone to flooding, even when active, so now, without the pumps keeping it dry, it is likely filled to the ceiling with water on the inside, in case you were wondering), I suppose CN and BP could be contacted about poking around down there, but I doubt they would be very receptive to it. There is a shallow cannal that goes off of the Black River that would probably be interesting, but the land owners along it are known to be VERY hostile to pretty much everyone and constantly call the police all summer, even if someone in a kayak just gets out momentarily to unstick themselves from a sand bar, so much so that the police have cadets babysitting the thing all summer and writing a constant slew of tickets, just to keep the miserable land owners happy (in reality it is only one or two crotchity old coots that keep making the nuisance calls, they pretty much just sit in their backyards all summer waiting for a boater to “tresspass” on thier mud so they can call the cops, again. I went to college with some of the cadets that have to keep responding to it, they complained about those people constantly). Other than that, I’m not sure where else around here to detect that is not just somebodies backyard. I’m open to suggestions.

Last edited by Small Arms Collector; April 30, 2018 at 16:47.
Small Arms Collector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018, 19:32   #71
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
well some things tards...

most of the mound culture as a general term mounds have been dug up and plowed into the field decades back
your chance of finding an untouched mound is close to zero.

I can take you to at least one ancient site here, human bits everywhere tilled up under plow, used to harvest skulls from that field. They tend to roll along with the tines. I can remember having 4 or 5 skulls on my gunshow table as a kid. Big deal. More Wet diapers by sissy types.
this only became an issue under Clintongs, still not a real issue

work on Praying away your Gay on bones...sheesh
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018, 21:34   #72
RG Coburn
Registered

Found this out behind my house,in the wheat field. Found a button of some sort,but couldn't make it out totally,so I put it in electrolysis to cook over night.
I think this is a safety razor handle. Composition is copper,with what looks like gold plate.Rang up around 70-75.It came out of the ground with a gold shine. Can't think of any other gold-colored metal that could do that for 80 years +...
Old May 06, 2018, 20:47   #73
RG Coburn
Registered

So I went back to an old cellar hole I remembered as a kid,way the hell back in the middle of nowhere. It was still there,just more grown over.
Found some old car parts scattered around.

Started finding some mundane stuff,like you expect at an old site.

Found some more interesting stuff,not terribly valuable,but interesting,none the less.The spoon says "german silver" on the back of the stem. The watch looks like it has a bit of gold guilding on it. The broach/pin thing was copper with a silver plating. The key has an 1898 patent on it.

Hit the old closed dump down the road,found some decent old glass.

More glass,not cleaned up yet. Weird,but I don't find Coke bottles there.

Daughter was with me,digging,and we found a couple old spoons(silver plated) and another pocket watch... still had gears inside the case.
Old May 23, 2018, 21:11   #74
RG Coburn
Registered

I've been getting out a bit more now. Nicer weather. This is stuff I found right in my yard this week,or in the field right next to my yard.
Cool little button with a steam locomotive on it..

Been finding old centerfire cartridges..these are 32-20 or 32WCF as on the stamp.

This is a 38-56 WCF..

Some sort of old belt buckle..

Has a pat. date on the reverse.

1910 Canadian 1 cent coin..

About shit a brick when I found this..you never find these this old,in this good of shape. This plate has a porcelain finish,not painted like later plates. Only thing I can think of that saved it so.

Old May 27, 2018, 09:51   #75
RG Coburn
Registered

Found another Canadian one cent down the road,but an 1886 Vicky this time. Found a 1902 Indian head penny in the field next to the house. Still finding lots of old shotshell heads,early 1900's. And a lot of iron.
Old May 27, 2018, 14:05   #76
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Nice coin finds RG. If you dug that license plate out of the ground I would say its in excellent shape and a nice find.

Mark
Old May 27, 2018, 22:57   #77
RG Coburn
Registered

Daughter and I took the old Radisson canoe down to the local river today. Its been low lately,but surprisingly clear. I snorkeled along a stretch that parellels the road,and found an old dumping spot. Started seeing lots of busted crockery and old plates.I ended up finding some nice older bottles;a Foley's honey and tar cough syrup,a old Coke,a Strohs Beer with raised letters,a Banner Brewing raised letter,and a couple of others.
Old May 30, 2018, 19:46   #78
RG Coburn
Registered

A new guy is renting the farmland around my property,and he ran some whizz-bang hi-speed till hing over it yesterday,then drilled beans in. I couldn't resist,so I ran over it...again...and holy cow,amazing the stuff I missed..
I think this is the back of a pocket watch? Its silver. If anybody could make the name out,I'd appreciate it.My decipher is: John C. McBlys then Bugbrook and 1838..but I am not an expert on older styles of writing .

Found these two...1909 and 1903

...and all the other various stuff. Still finding a lot of shotshell and 32-20 brass.