Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old May 04, 2018, 07:20   #1
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Chuck Taylor Range Report

Wifey and I took all his courses last year and signed up again this year for all 4 of his 2-day classes.

Getting ready for 2 days of his next course this weekend. New Springfield 1911 is sorted. Much better weapon than the Sig 1911.

Pics from last month's *#^%-ing cold class. Day 1 was acceptable, Day 2 was raining and 34 freaking degrees. Targets covered with clear trash bags due to constant light rain. (did I mention it was cold?)

We'd setup malfunction clearing drills and just trying to set up a "stovepipe" in my 1911 proved impossible because I no longer had feeling and function in my fingers. (did I mention it was cold?)

Skill drills - multiple targets, threat assessment, threat to left/right/behind. All timed and from holster. Class was separated in half for the drills so Chuck and Staff could better observe and critique the shooters. This gives you time to re-fill your mags after each training session. He keeps it MOVING. Limiting the time to shoot to 2 seconds does really increase the stress and gives you a sense of how your accuracy suffers. (did I mention it was cold?)

I'll post up more pics of this weekend's classes. Hopefully one of the assistants will be there with a camera.

Classes this year are reviews for Wifey and me. We took all 8 days of his courses last year but we're believers in practice, practice, practice - with the watchful eye of an expert to correct mistakes.

Wifey on the line, second from left. Dark blue. Chuck spotting.

School class picture. Deliberately obscured ID of classmates except yours truly and Chuck. Wifey in dark blue.

Last edited by Slaughter; May 04, 2018 at 07:27.
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 08:43   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
What is Chucks every day carry now?
Old May 04, 2018, 09:19   #3
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Thanks for the pics!
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2018, 16:11   #4
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
A Glock - will have to ask. Memory says it's a 17
Old May 05, 2018, 21:06   #5
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
This is the first year he's gone with the S&W M&P in 45ACP. Minor trigger work. Excellent gun for daily carry. Couple people in class today had them.
Old May 06, 2018, 09:31   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I have always admired Mr Taylor for his military service and his contributions of knowledge to the gun community. Thanks for the report.
Old May 06, 2018, 22:14   #7
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

After two days, we're beat.

Just brought in our gear. Showered and we'll clean guns tomorrow.

There wasn't enough time to take pics during the sessions but one of the local gun shop sponsors may have gotten some pics. I'll post more when I sit down and push keys.

Chuck DID answer the direct question about his top 3 carry favorites - they are ranked below:

1 - Smith and Wesson M&P in 45 ACP - trigger worked down to <5 pounds
2 - Gen 2 Glock 19. He said later versions had too much unnecessary stuff for a constant carry. He has MORE than 300,000 rounds through his.
3 - Government model 1911. Trigger worked down to 5 pounds or less. Fixed sights.

If I get some more pics, I'll post them.
Old May 06, 2018, 22:24   #8
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Just one pic from my phone as we were setting up yesterday. We always bring our pop-up shade that I used for race pits for a decade. Living in the Desert, you ALWAYS go for shade when available.

Wifey unloading our gear onto the spool while her lazy-assed hubby does nothing but take a picture or two.

No pics of any action. I'll see what the staff posts and bring them over here.

Will write more of a report when I'm not fighting sleep.

Last edited by Slaughter; May 07, 2018 at 05:54.