Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 23, 2017, 21:17   #1
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
UZI

For some reason I have never seen any information or discussions reguarding UZIs on the Files. I have had this unit, a Norinco for some time and almost forgot I even had it. I made my own stock adaptor which works pretty well. Not all that useful but interesting non the less. I have the 9mm and .45 ACP configurations which is sort of cool me thinks. Change the bolt and barrel easy peasy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2549.JPG (112.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2546.JPG (113.3 KB, 56 views)

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017, 22:01   #2
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
320 was fun for a minute, then again it was an easy trade for that izzy mauser and poodle shooter...

I was hoping it would balance out in hawkjr's hands, but too heavy.
Old June 23, 2017, 22:36   #3
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Big UZI fan here ..Have messed around with Full autos ..They are fun ..And have some fun with Model b and some of the weird post 1989 parts kits on a IMI lower 45acp guns

Fun guns ...Better in full auto ..Though I dont mind the 16inch on them oddly only on them though not some of the other sub guns

I never got into the Norinco due to the welded on the barrel nut etc ..Some alsod dont run well sounds like you got lucky
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017, 21:46   #4
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
320 was fun for a minute, then again it was an easy trade for that izzy mauser and poodle shooter...

I was hoping it would balance out in hawkjr's hands, but too heavy.
By the way, if you know who has it, I'd buy it back.
Old June 24, 2017, 21:52   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I ran a Vector uzi for years in the subgun competition and found it to be a good solid running gun. Sold it almost a year ago but very happy I had the pleasure of owning it and shooting it.
Old June 24, 2017, 22:35   #6
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
I've got one complete Group/Vector and a couple of builds. They make for good SBR candidates.

If you want to add a suppressor and use sub sonic ammo.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017, 08:17   #7
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Always wanted a good UZI, just feel like the "new" would wear off pretty quick and I'd feel stupid for the money spent on the amount of fun had. Full size UZI, heavy subgun without the fun switch. SBR, more cool heavy subgun without the fun switch.
Obviously, to me the UZI only has real value when it's select fire, otherwise there are smaller and lighter alternatives that are more practical.

I have a pile of UZI mags that were destined for an AR build that I lost interest in, they need a home but it would be a wall hanger/conversation piece. Maybe some day I'll have a nice example for the collection.

The pistols and micros have more appeal but nothing says UZI like the original rifle.
Old June 26, 2017, 09:10   #8
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
When they made NFA items legal in my state several years ago, the first thing I did was buy a semiauto Vector Uzi. Then it took me a few years to finally convince myself to go through all the hassle to legally make it an SBR. Now that it is finally an SBR it is one of my favorite guns. It is my go-to farm gun and I take it everywhere. I kill more snakes, opossums, raccoons, and rats with it than any other gun I own.

I thought real hard about getting one full auto but ultimately I decided that semi-auto makes more sense for me for these reasons:

1. Saved about $5,000 by choosing semi-auto (not to mention savings in ammunition over the years)
2. I can legally hunt with a semi-auto Uzi but not full auto; and yes, I do hunt with it.
3. I can't stand open bolt; I think I am more accurate with closed bolt

Is it too heavy? Yes. Are there more practical options? Yes, the CZ Scorpion would be much more practical and lighter weight. Is there anything else that has the long history and is as cool as an Uzi? No. A couple weeks ago I had a bunch of guys from my church out for a shoot and BBQ. They brought their sons and we had a good time shooting all sorts of things. The Uzi was one of the crowd favorites. Everybody enjoyed shooting it.
Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017, 13:06   #9
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
Buddy has a stamped open bolt NFA stamped one, god awful uncomfortable to do serious shooting with , but I guess for a bullet hose it is kinda fun. The M16 w/ suppressed 9mm upper is a lot more fun
Old June 26, 2017, 13:16   #10
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I like mine.

It's not always my first grab, but I am glad that I have it.

It's reliable.

It's accurate.

It's simple to maintain/service.

Not a lot about them to not like really.

There have been a few times when I have grabbed it during severe storms/tornado warnings to accompany us into the basement in case the worst happens. Yeah, I trust it that much.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017, 13:18   #11
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I like mine.

It's not always my first grab, but I am glad that I have it.

It's reliable.

It's accurate.

It's simple to maintain/service.

Not a lot about them to not like really.

There have been a few times when I have grabbed it during severe storms/tornado warnings to accompany us into the basement in case the worst happens. Yeah, I trust it that much.
what is that thing at the bottom of the picture that looks like a CZ with an Uzi mag hanging out of it?
Old June 26, 2017, 13:50   #12
John A
Registered

A scorpion with an uzi mag hanging out of the bottom of it

The adapters use uzi pro magazines.

Mine have been flawless. Don't have to worry about feedlips cracking or popping off.

good stuff.

https://detroitammoco.com/product/uz...rpion-adapter/
Old June 26, 2017, 17:57   #13
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Guy in Spokane, WA wants $1100 for his 320.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017, 18:59   #14
Skilter
Registered

FALaholic #: 1021
Just like cars... there are a few I wish I had not of sold...

Mini Uzi NIB Vector with a can. Can't beat it... everyone says it is useless until they work it. Somebody offered me stupid money (back then) and I sold it.

One pull delivers 3 rounds in a triangle kill zone of a head at 10 yards. Learn to use it and it is understood why it was made.

the larger ones... especially anything semi is just a stupid waste of money unless it is sentimental.

Just sayin... .02

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
--------------------------------------------
M 7:7-14 tells you all you need to know.
Skilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017, 22:01   #15
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Wow, I bought the 320 I had for less than $200 - and was happy to get my money out of it!

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2017, 06:27   #16
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
I've had my 320 since 2005 ish and love it. This was the ad was in the box when I bought it. Threw an IMI wood stock on it and some US parts and it is a fun shooter:

Old June 27, 2017, 09:16   #17
Incognito
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
A scorpion with an uzi mag hanging out of the bottom of it

The adapters use uzi pro magazines.

Mine have been flawless. Don't have to worry about feedlips cracking or popping off.

good stuff.

https://detroitammoco.com/product/uz...rpion-adapter/
Do the plastic CZ mags have a problem with cracked feedlips?
Old June 27, 2017, 09:35   #18
John A
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Do the plastic CZ mags have a problem with cracked feedlips?
A lot of them have. Especially when in contact with certain gun oils and solvents.

I have some that are still in great shape.

And have seen a lot of people and pictures showing cracked/broken feedlips and bullets puked out in a big pile.

Manticore Arms teamed up with Prepper gun shop and made a "lancer style" scorpion mag with metal feedlip insert on a polymer body.

But they failed my drop test when I was beta testing them and also would not correctly feed the flat tip ammunition reliably that I tried to feed them.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=85545.0

The uzi pro magazines with Todd's mag adapter, has so far ran about 900 problem free rounds through it. Bullet taper makes no difference. Flat tip, round nose, HP.

And just for what it's worth, the uzi pro's are now my dedicated mags for that gun now. Whether range or serious use.
Old June 27, 2017, 10:00   #19
Incognito
Registered

Very interesting...I have been contemplating a CZ Scorpion but I had not heard of this issue. I googled Uzi pro mags and just found a bunch of vendors selling them but no information as to what makes them different than a standard Uzi mag; what can you tell me about that?
Old June 27, 2017, 10:31   #20
John A
Registered

I'll send a PM. I don't want to hijack the topic.
Old June 29, 2017, 14:20   #21
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I love my FA Vector. Will be getting it plenty dirty this weekend.

Put the 1" buffer in and it acts a lot like am MP5 IMO.

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017, 13:32   #22
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
Open Bolt UZI, act with your firing shoulder as if you are about to use it to break through a door when you squeeze. That is what I was told first day at the range after I bought the house in 2000 ( Uzi was a gift from the village you can say). I guess it counteracts that bolt slamming forward. Joke there was UZI is only as accurate as far as you can throw it.
mountainman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2017, 11:27   #23
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Owning an Uzi without the fun switch is pointless imo.

I bought a Scorpion 3 months ago. Definitely the better gun for me. Eats anything and everything 9mm Luger caliber that I put into it. My mags are still holding up. No issues.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2017, 17:18   #24
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
I guess I'm a wuss. Rules was that we weren't supposed to put it on fun switch, but I never saw others get in trouble for doing such. My main concern was being able to go from keeping the stock half folded with right hand on the grip, left hand on the charger, and see how fast I could draw ( charge, shoulder weapon, and lock stock) fire, and hit my target.
mountainman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 00:07   #25
Glucker
Registered

FALaholic #: 12384
I love mine. Have a full auto Vector, and five IMI model B's, two of which I bought in the Marketplace. One of those two has since been sbr'd, and has an accompanying Mossad suppressor.
Mags are plentiful, and spare parts are easy to find, both Bundeswehr surplus and American made replacements for the semis.
Needless to say they're reliable, battle proven, no parts prone to breakage that I know of, and eat about anything. I can hit with my 16" semi's out to 100 yards without much effort, and have put holes in targets out to 200-225 yards or so.
And if you want to trick them out, the mounts are out there that allow you to do so.
The Uzi, the FAL, the Hi Power, and the Mag 58, IMHO the best (and coolest) guns ever made.
Old July 16, 2017, 07:51   #26
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I bought my IMI Model B in the late '80s. I've really enjoyed it over the years. It is accurate and dead-nuts reliable. With several thousand rounds of 9mm through her, I've never had a malfunction. I received a wooden stock for a Christmas gift one year and kind of alternate between that and the original folder; I like them both. It's a gun I'd never sell.
Old July 17, 2017, 09:46   #27
kev
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
Hate 'em,....can't think of a gun I'd want less, especially in semi. Sold my IMI SMG several years ago and do not miss it in the least. It was fun enough in .45 but made no sense to me in 9mm. Heavy, awkward handling. Dislike the folding stock(fixed wood was OK), grip, selector, grip safety, and ratcheting topcover. Just did not like anything about the gun. Oh, magazines are strangely difficult to load for a two-position feed. That's quite an accomplishment. More than anything I hated the balance. It's top heavy and 'bucky' while firing.

I generally don't care for SMGs that feed the magazine through the grip. It's a bad tradeoff in balance and handling for the 'benefit' of the silly hand-finds-hand marketing rubbish. I make an exception for the Steyr MPi69/81 because it's so damn smooth functioning and handling. People think it's basically an Uzi clone due to it's shadow, but it's an Uzi clone that's not heavy, not awkward, and doesn't have any of the sharp edges or uncomfortable features of the Uzi.

For a semi, I'd take a Sub2K before I'd take a dozen Uzis.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 11:05   #28
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Agree with Kev here. While I appreciate the historical aspect and the "cool factor," unless it was FA, the Uzi has never applealed to me. Heavy, clunky, expensive (when talking pre-ban IMI), short-term novelty, etc. IMI guns have steadily held their value for a number of years though.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 15:03   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
I think this is why they make chocolate and vanilla!