Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old January 17, 2018, 14:26   #1
madmax_fal
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 78386
Thinking about a Colt 6920

I'm completely new to ARs, and thinking about getting a Colt 6920. I know this rifle has gotten alot of attention on gun boards across the web, but considering how technology and the quality of individual manufactures can change rapidly for better or worse, I was wondering what yall think about it. In general, how do those of you who have it, like it? More specifically, are there any currently any ARs that are at least as good or better out of the box at around same price point?
Old January 17, 2018, 15:08   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
ArmaLite Bushmaster Colt

The ABC's of ARs. Always have good luck with ArmaLite and Eagle Arms.

A few options similar to 6920:

https://www.armalite.com/product/m15...tical-carbine/

https://www.armalite.com/product/15eamft-eagle-arms/

https://www.armalite.com/product/15e...porting-rifle/

*Colt may hold resale value better than Bushmaster, Eagle Arms, and maybe ArmaLite, if that matters to you.
Wife's favorite color: glitter

Last edited by TenTea; January 17, 2018 at 15:10. Reason: more
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 15:21   #3
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Can't say enough good things about mine. Was reasonably cheap (they sell for less than MSRP), good upper / lower fit, decent trigger (no MIM ejector pins on mine). Some people think the Colt chrome line barrels are as durable as the FN ones (also have ). Came from the factory with OD Magpul front and rear furniture, I've since added the Magpul grip with the storage compartment so I can hold sight adjustment tools.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; January 21, 2018 at 12:29.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 15:28   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
As far as I can tell, the 6920 still seems to be “the” standard.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 15:54   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Pony guns will never go out of style or vogue. Some makers that are considered top line may not exist next year. Even if Colt fails their history will always be well known and help your rifle hold its value. That said, the 6920 is also a fine rifle. I would pull the trigger group, order a Colt Competition Match Trigger for $50 from CDNN and have it professionally tuned to a 3.25 pound crisp pull and put original trigger group in box in case want to sell as 100% original some day.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 18:06   #6
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Figure out EXACTLY what you want to do with an AR, and then buy the parts you need to assemble EXACTLY that rifle.

Now, if all you want to do with the rifle is "own a Colt," then a 6920 will EXACTLY fill that need.

Otherwise, a 6920 is just one of a gazillion examples of a decent-made AR type rifle with:
  • non-floated 16" barrel
  • a step for "attaching a grenade launcher"
  • very basic flash hider
  • very basic handguards
  • very basic iron sights
  • very basic trigger
  • very basic buttstock

If that's what you want in an AR-15, you should get one.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 18:11   #7
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
I bought a stripped 6920 with no furniture. The oem 2 model. They you choose your own buttstock, and free float rail but you got the colt quality and reliability where it matters. One thing to note if you buy it put a scope on it then try to get 1" groups with steel cases or cheap 55 grain ammo you're going to be disappointed. The 1:7 twist barrel is designed for heavier loads. Mine groups around 1 moa with 77 gr hpbt and 69 gr but the cheaper 55 grainers are only good for 2 moa and they don't hold up in the wind so if you want to shoot more than 300 yards you're going to want the better ammo.
Also if you want to do it right I think the acog is the ideal optic for just about any scenario you might want to use the Colt in.
Falfan2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 18:25   #8
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
If a dozen untested civilian AR carbines were laying on a table, with assorted characteristics, from assorted manufacturers, and I had to grab one and head straight into a gun fight, I would grab the factory Colt 6920.

They are a no-frills tool that will get the job done. Prices are reasonable. Excellent platform for upgrades later down the line. No brainer.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 19:27   #9
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Personally, I prefer the 20" barrel, fixed stock ARs like the Colt AR15-A4 to the 16" barrel, adjustable stock ARs like the Colt 6920. The little horsey is worth the extra price as you will recoup that premium at resale. The Purdey of poodle shooters.

The 6920 is the standard bearer in today's market, and its position is well earned. If you want a carbine, the 6920 is as good a choice as you could make, but it is a carbine and not a full length AR, like the AR15-A4.

Check out both, and get the one that appeals to you most.
Old January 17, 2018, 21:59   #10
MistWolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 7435
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Figure out EXACTLY what you want to do with an AR, and then buy the parts you need to assemble EXACTLY that rifle.

Now, if all you want to do with the rifle is "own a Colt," then a 6920 will EXACTLY fill that need.

Otherwise, a 6920 is just one of a gazillion examples of a decent-made AR type rifle with:
  • non-floated 16" barrel
  • very basic flash hider
  • very basic handguards
  • very basic iron sights
  • very basic trigger
  • very basic buttstock

MadMax, being new to ARs, won't know what he wants until he actually shoots one. In that case, a bare bones AR like the 6920 is the perfect rifle to start with. The furniture and sights a 6920 comes with doesn't add much to the cost and that basic flash hider is not only cheap, but very effective.

In my experience, the 6920 had been very reliable, more than accurate enough with blaster ammo holding to a consistent 2 moa. Quality ammo cuts that in half.

MadMax, in addition to the 6920, take a look at 6720 (lightweight barrel) or better yet, the 6920r Trooper, which comes with a very nice Centurion free float handguard.
Old January 18, 2018, 22:14   #11
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
ArmaLite Bushmaster Colt

The ABC's of ARs. Always have good luck with ArmaLite and Eagle Arms.

A few options similar to 6920:

https://www.armalite.com/product/m15...tical-carbine/

https://www.armalite.com/product/15eamft-eagle-arms/

https://www.armalite.com/product/15e...porting-rifle/

*Colt may hold resale value better than Bushmaster, Eagle Arms, and maybe ArmaLite, if that matters to you.
Not all Bushmasters are of the same quality, I’ve seen some early Bushmasters that I wouldn’t buy even if the price was free. But the Bushmasters from about the Clinton weapons ban forward are good to go.

I own a Colt and it has never let me down even when the extractor pin broke durning a 5 day training course I was using it at. Never missed a beat. It wasn’t until I was cleaning it after the course that I found the broken pin which wasn’t there on day one (we spent half the first day breaking down our ARs and putting them back together).

As others have said Colts hold their value, they may go down a bit but over time they maintain their value. As for a first AR, the Colt 6920 isn’t a bad starting point. It has lots of advantages over a custom home build when it comes to reselling it. That little prancing pony on the side can make a big difference.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 21:36   #12
squid8286
Registered

FALaholic #: 7276
Nothing wrong with having a 6920 around. As I have said elsewhere, in the looks department they ain't so great, but they usually have it where it counts. With the price of them being what it is now, no better of a time to get one.
squid8286 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 11:05   #13
madmax_fal
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 78386
A sincere "thank you!" to all of you for your thoughts. I have decided that a 6920 is probably the way to go at this point considering my needs and experience level.

Thanks again guys!
Old January 20, 2018, 12:09   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Just a thought for new folks. W.E.G. is an authority on the subject of AR's and one should always consider his opinions and not discount anything he says without consideration. In this case my opinion (free advice from some may not be worth what it cost) is OP's initial post says:
Quote:
I'm completely new to ARs, and thinking about getting a Colt 6920.
W.E.G. replys:
Quote:
OP states he is completely new to AR's and his question seems to be is buying basically the benchmark of what a basic AR configuration is from the most known name in the industry for said rifle a fair concept. Personally I think everyone should own one Pony Rifle and if someone has never owned one how are they to really know what bling is necessary and which is not. Also should someone unfamiliar to AR's build their first rifle in said genre? Seen too many first attempt home builds go south and builder has zero experience to base any diagnosis of what proper function is and how to resolve it.

Buying a basic Colt AR 15 the owner can expect it to function within military specifications and to hold its value if not appreciate over the long haul. After buying and shooting a decent AR for a while owner can decide what does and does not like. If it's accurate enough for needs or too big/too small, etc. Then other barrel choices, stock designs, handguards, sights, etc can be contemplated and incorporated into a second rifle built to exact needs if a base model doesn't fit after owner matures with use. If decides the Colt is totally configured wrong for needs and not abused it can more likely recoup a higher percentage of initial investment than that of a kitchen table build or other brand.

Just my less than two cents. If OP had opened with looking to buy an AR for varmint hunting, wild hog infestation, close quarters combat may have recommended another model/cartridge immmediately. If OP had opened with just finished building my third AR and am wondering if a entry level Colt will outperform a home build would have asked questions then made recommendations. If OP said am looking for best AR to buy as an investment in event they are banned in future and want to soak some away would have recommended looking at a power buy on Smith M&P 15's due to price, quality and inexpensive price point giving most room for profit if goal is neckbearding. OP had me agreeing with his logic with opening sentence based solely on initial statement.

If he were a close friend of W.E.G. and lived close would have said go see "the man" before you buy a rifle and see if he has anything in his "catch and release" inventory as it will likely be built with more care and better parts selection than any entry level factory rifle.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 12:55   #15
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

• non-floated 16" barrel
  • very basic flash hider
  • very basic handguards
  • very basic iron sights
  • very basic trigger
  • very basic buttstock

I have to say I'm with WEG on this one. My first AR was my first build. I researched what was out there, went to gun shows to touch and feel what I liked and what I didn't, set a goal for the rifle (it IS still a tool, after all), and watched various build vids until it felt like I'd been building them for years. It turned out to be EXACTLY the target I was shooting for, and far superior to most anything on the market.

Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the 6920, but ARs are one of the few places where you can build for yourself a superior piece to most commercial offerings for far less money. I figure if you're going to spend the money, why not build it custom to you, the end user, to begin with.

Last thought though... are you a buy it, play with it for a little while, sell it type, or are you like me once you own it you rarely let it go? If the former, buy the Colt, but if the latter, do your research and build it for YOU.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018, 08:45   #16
VAplinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 78941
Now is a good time to buy - ARs are a buyers market. I bought a 6920.... to flip before the election. Probably not the the most virtuous reasoning. Anyhow, right before the San Berdo shooting, the prices were really stagnant, so I picked up a 6920 from Ratworx for $810. I keep checking back with them - their prices seem to fluctuate around. After San Berdo happened, they shot up again.

I never had a hard on for the AR, as after the service it hold much cool appeal. I respected the rifle, but I guess it didn't have any novelty for me. Funny, as now it is one of my favorite plinkers, and I would not sell it. It is a lot of fun as an iron sight platform (I like irons) and so well made from an ergonomics perspective. Mine came with the M4 markings, I think 2013 birth year, and with magpul bump up sights. I added an old school carry handle like I was used to, and I really love it. Its light, the iron sights are great, I really like the double heat shield handguards. I like the standard grip. I really like the plain jain! But it depends on the person - I like it as it reminds me of the M16A2 in a lot of ways (I was mostly pre-acog, though we got M16A4s right before I got out).

Good deals new ARE out there. Do not overpay, especially nowadays. You can even pick up NIB online from guys selling ones they bought and have not touched.. Using the VA classifieds here, after the election guys were dumping NIB cheap, admitting in their ads they stocked up anticipating different election results.

Also, I wasn't 'in the know' as far as the AR world. Do research any accessories and where you source them. So much knock off crap and cheap made-in-China bits. I even ordered my carry handle sight from BCM - overpaid, but I didn't trust the el-cheapo ones on ebay that may or not be made to spec. Lots of knock off magpul stuff. I wouldn't trust gun shows.
VAplinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018, 10:18   #17
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Here's one for 729$
https://gunprime.com/product/colt-m4...-le6920-ar-15/

Here's another idea. You buy a naked one like this and then put your choice of stock and rail on there. Mine wears a Rogers super stock and a free float rail. Notice the gas block on this is pinned. This is an improvement over most do it yourself builds which use a set screw.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/121650
Falfan2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018, 11:22   #18
VAplinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 78941
$729 is a fantastic price for NIB! If you want the stock furniture, you can't beat that.
VAplinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2018, 12:07   #19
Edgartwib
Registered

FALaholic #: 80246
When i was looking into an AR the 6920 was on top of my short list. My brother went to college in Maine. He came back with a Windham Weaponry AR. (The original Bushmaster owner owned company, when Windham sold to Bushmaster to Remington and thay moved production from Maine. He did not like seeing his hometown industry leave so he bought his old factory back and opened WW. I really did like it and was considering one because it was cheaper than the Colt.

I was living in southern Oregon at the time, i did not know, but the heart of Noveske country. I was about a day out from picking up a 6920 when an old guy at my gunclub sold me a Noveske gen 2 afghan for $1000 w/box. I still only own one AR that Noveske. I realize i stole it for thst price😎. i have a preban daewoo k2 too but thats different. If i wanted an ar today. Id snag that $729 6920 the WW W-4 (m4 model) i considered were about that price.
Good luck!
Edgartwib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018, 16:32   #20
Tactical Baron
Registered

FALaholic #: 79895
The 6920 is a fine rifle for the price, and it's also a safe bet. My only complaint on the last 6920 that came through the shop was how bad the trigger was, but that's not that big of a deal. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy any Colt rifle if the deal was good, but I normally stick with BCM for most of my rifle needs.
Tactical Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2018, 21:11   #21
lockjaw
Piggie Lips
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Here is a good article on the 6920.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...iew-colt-6920/
Old February 04, 2018, 16:01   #22
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
If you are into shooting rifle on a pistol range, pretty much the cheapest AR that won't malfunction with the cheapest ammo is what you want.

I don't shoot AR's on the plinking range any these days.

I only wan't one that will shoot the highest-quality ammo, in the most accurate fashion, at distances of 100 to 600 yards.

White Oak Armament will sell you a complete upper that is capable of winning the national championship right out of the box.

$670 - brand new

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/a4-...t-ban-1-8.html

Add scope of your liking, and lower receiver with trigger and buttstock of your liking.

I've been shooting White Oak uppers for better part of a decade now. I hold pretty hard, and I still can't hold inside the capability of a White Oak upper.

If you're just a dirt-shooter, then get some no-name brand with a basic barrel and basic trigger, and make some noise.

You'll pay a few hundred extra over the no-name if you go with the Colt. The Colt will be a reliable dirt-shooter with any brass-cased ammo. The steel-cased ammo may give you grief.

I'm totally done "flipping" any toys at all. That includes guns. If I can't get legitimate use out of it within a few weeks of acquiring it, I don't want it in my house.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2018, 21:04   #23
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Dirt shooter checking in. My two best ARs have 20-inch FNMI govt barrels. They will handle garbage ammunition that locks up other gunz.