The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old April 14, 2018, 23:39   #1
Imbel '02
Registered

FALaholic #: 27003
SKS Stock

I hope this is in the right spot. Can anyone recommend a quality Monte Carlo type stock for a Norinco SKS that is 'Merican sized? Thanks for any help.
Old April 15, 2018, 08:39   #2
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Check out Advanced Technology International, they might be your easiest route.

https://www.atioutdoors.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sks
Old April 16, 2018, 23:59   #3
Imbel '02
Registered

Thanks for the info. Looks like what I'm after.
Old April 17, 2018, 17:09   #4
MK ULTRA
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbel '02 View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like what I'm after.
What do u want for your old one??

MK ULTRA.....OUT.....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Statesman and Inventor: 1759

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.....
MK ULTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 20:47   #5
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK ULTRA View Post
What do u want for your old one??
If your rifle is a preban might consider keeping original stock in case decide to sell later as well as bayonet, etc. Not trying to kick you MK Ultraman, just trying to help save potential grief down the road. Left some SKS's stashed at parents house with 600 rounds per rifle. All preban with original 20 round box magazines, added extended butt pads as only mod, told dad to keep one out and left him about 30 stripper clips with non corrosive JSP's.

When dad was dying brother lost his house in the big 2008 crash so dad gave family home to my brother for his family. Moved mom in a little 900 square foot house built for my grandmother in 1970's after remodel. Nephew got hold of the non hidden SKS, put on a coon @$$/redneck folding stock, removed the bayonet so he could put on a cheap flash hider that slipped over the sight and bayonet assembly then of all things removed the pre ban metal 20 round box magazine to swap for a 30 round plastic mag.

After dad died and mom's health began to get worse asked me to come get rifles. Found all the hidden rifles and ammo but the one intended parents to use to defend themselves was gone. About three weeks later mom came to town and had the rifle in its new trim. Asked her about original parts and didn't know. Brother called and said his son spent a lot of his own money upgrading my rifle. Told him swapping out original furniture, bayonet and the 20 round box magazine were not upgrades. Folding stock made it illegal in some states and sucked to boot. Magazine nephew removed was $75 compared to $20 for the plastic junk he put in. Replacement preban bayonet was $50 and stock $70. Brother insisted the rifle was better than before and old parts were long gone. Ended up replacing all for $150 but had to hunt and work to get correct country and series to put rifle back original at fair price.

If plan on keeping and handing down to kids with value being no value or is a late model import selling the original may be zero issue and help finance the new. Just do a little research and figure out what the old stock would cost to replace if rifle has any more value in OEM trim. IMHO & YMMV
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018, 00:49   #6
Imbel '02
Registered

I don't know all the intricacies of the SKS, but I'll keep the existing stock. I say existing instead of original as it has a "branded in" number on the stock different from the bolt and receiver. It is in very good condition, so I want to retain it. I don't think it's anything special from a collection standpoint. I just want a more user friendly stock for shooting it. It's just too danged short as it is!
Old April 18, 2018, 07:42   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

They are even too short for my wife why add extended butt pads as just a replace two screw deal and put original butt plate in the box rifle came out of. Have a few rifles added Tapco triggers and the OEM trigger pack goes in OEM box as do sights when swap fro tritium. Have four SKS's with preban 20 round box magazine have put extended butt stock pad, Tapco trigger and tritium sights along with pair of AK's done same mods. Wife loves the SKS's and is as likely to pick up if zombies kick the door as her 5.7x28 AR's with the crazy first Gen Echo triggers sent to Utube reviewers with light springs. The Echo's run faster than a binary if not careful but she loves her "commie guns".

Come home about two or three days per month and she tells me need to police up brass on back deck and 70% of time she will have been running an SKS with 160 grain cast gas check bullets. She loves to roll of on deck in wheel chair of if feeling good uses cane and props SKS on railing to practice 20 round tapping of multiple targets, shove two more strippers in the top of rifle and go again. She says it's easier than than loading mags for the AK's then swapping and having to reload them all end of session. I still reload my iron sight M1a's from strippers as much as magazine swaps. Can carry an @$$ load of stripper clips much easier than magazines pound for pound.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 18, 2018, 12:46   #8
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/SKS/18-01-02

I had one of these and the ATI. I liked the Choate better. At that time,they could be had in camo,not sure if they still offer it. The Choate stock has a plastic that feels the same as what Remington used in its poly stocks. The ATI felt different,like recycled milk jugs or something.

I have one of their "dragunov" sks stocks,and it has a decent feel,and nice pull length. Only downside to it is you have to unscrew a grip panel to access the take-down lever function. The standard stock is accessible like a chicom stock.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018, 03:04   #9
Imbel '02
Registered

Thanks for more good info. I need to find one of those 20 round fixed mags!
Old April 20, 2018, 11:55   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbel '02 View Post
Thanks for more good info. I need to find one of those 20 round fixed mags!
Love them, changes entire dynamic of rifle and preban compliant for communist states unless has ten round limit.

Did a quick Google search and cheapest I found was $150 on gunchoker except one that is just started in an auction. On websites that sell them saw price range for chicom $149.99 to $199.99. May have to inventory how many are left on the Ponderosa. Keep meaning to list some SKS-M's but always worry about what value might do as preban rifles get more rare and more states enact goofy laws. Have not fired any of my Colt SP1's in some time because of their preban value up north. Guys on gunchoker keeps listing SKS-M's at $900 opening bid on gunchoker that it's tempting to offload a few. Like the Germans finally taking over Europe buying most of the British and other car companies, etc us southerners might win the fiscal side of War of Northern Aggression by selling preban rifles that often buy same price as post bans to Yankee's. Funny how we are all Yankees once we cross the pond.

If luck out and find a box of 20 round preban box magazines maybe I can do a Files discount to sponsoring users. Just have to look and see if there are any left not on rifles in service. If in a state where doesn't have to be pre-ban plenty of other options. Also HiTech still has inventory of 15, 20, 37 and 60 round pre-ban SKS mags for $125 plus $65 for the adapter (first is free if buy their magazine) but if willing to buy more than one they can be swapped like an SKS-M or top loaded from stripper clips. Wish I had the foresight to put some of them back before the ban when they were cheap.

http://www.rifletech.net/item2006.htm

They claim to have limited inventory left in all sizes and adapters. Information on preban status is on a different page than linked. If wasn't strung on with preban combloc rifles and accessories would buy a few myself.
Old April 20, 2018, 12:16   #11
biyf
Registered

FALaholic #: 41593
I passed on a Chinese wood SKS stock a couple weeks ago for $20. Guess I'll go back and see if it's still there.
biyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018, 16:16   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

They bring $300 used around here and if preban can sell for $500 in some of the communist states. Bought one someone had put a crappy folding stock on for $175, rounded up the right stock and bayonet for $75 and turned down $325 already. My time and effort is worth more than $75 and will likely keep doing small upgrades fill it's right.

Pit the extended recoil pad, massage the trigger, 20 round box magazine and just a tritium front sight post and have a handfull of preban goodness. Likely being close to $600 with the preban 20 round box magazine in right state to right buyer. Especially as more ban removable magazines. Same reason I keep piling up Mini 14's, no pistol grip and no flash hider means nice rifle, not evil black gun.

Last edited by hueyville; April 20, 2018 at 17:01. Reason: posted from phone & last sentence made less sense than normal
Old April 21, 2018, 18:23   #13
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
What is a preban SKS? I didn't know SKS was banned before and there is such thing as preban SKS. There is no evil features like AR/AK on SKS. Are you talking about 922r compliance?
By the way those aftermarket stocks may be loose and affect accuracy, I have one in ATI stock and I had to make a "recoil" cross pin like the factory stock to hold the action tight to the rear.

Last edited by HankC; April 21, 2018 at 18:33.
HankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 20:40   #14
GDavis
Registered

FALaholic #: 5233
Hank,

I believe "Pre-ban SKS" refers to the Chinese that were brought in before the Bush ban (don't remember exactly when that was- I believe 1989). Any after that date they cannot legally be modified with folding stocks and have the bayonet attached. (I see "modified" Chinese SKSs all the time at shows, so I really don't think it is enforced).

I have a pre-ban (bought in 1988), BUT- the receipt I have is totally faded and it cannot be read. Technically- I believe I have to prove when I bought it so I am out of luck. The pre-ban vs post ban only applies to the Chinese SKS, not the other manufacturers/countries since their dates of manufacture can be verified and associated with the serial number. China will not release manufacturing info on their rifles.
GDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 11:40   #15
marcosfal
Registered

FALaholic #: 72291
I went with the Tapco Timbersmith laminate stock. It fits very well and requires no permanent mods to the rifle. It is really solid. I kept the 10 round fixed magazine and installed the steel Tech-Sights with a slightly narrower front post. It is a very comfortable and accurate little carbine.
marcosfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018, 16:18   #16
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Screwing with sks is like putting tapco on a fal.

Just say no.

A nice wood with blade bayo stock is getting a vut hard to find now.

I still need atleast 2 wood stocks with blade bayo cut non pin barrel.

That is a great well proven war rifle.
Old April 29, 2018, 13:11   #17
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
Quote:
wood stocks with blade bayo cut
You can always glue wood shims to the bayo slot to convert spike bayo stock for blade.
HankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018, 20:17   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

All mine are Chinese, have original boxes, receipts and they do bring more in ban states because the bayonet can be left on. Have mix of blade and spike bayonets. Amazing how much SKS-M's appreciated. Wish had purchased more.