Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old October 27, 2018, 18:46   #1
Fleabus
Registered

FALaholic #: 10700
Wink Safari Rifles

I've always been a fan of safari lore and stories of past
PH hunters. WDM Bell, Col Patterson, the recent late great P Capstick.
Currently started rereading " Death in the long Grass"..
So a chance came up for me to buy a real deal on a classic style drop box magazine rifle proff built by
Brockmans Rifles..
Its one of their Dangerous game pcs in 300 mag on a CZ
true magnum actions. 5 in the magazine one up the spout.
The rifle looks exactly like the one on Brockmans Rifles
website in their dangerous game category.
I got it for 1/3 of its listed sale price thru a private sale.
Ive added a straight tube vintage Burris 1x4.5 fullfield
for glassing it.
Now when I read Capstick I can stroke my PH style rifle
and dream of African treks far away..
Got lucky on this one.
Best Fleabus...
Fleabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 10:13   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
What? No pics? There needs to be pics!

Well, Kudo's on you anyway. That's a heck of a coup right there.

Got to ask however, a DBM on a "classic" Safari rifle? I have one Bolt gun with a BDM and while it seemed a good idea at the time, as a reloader it does limit my cartridge OAL which will be a consideration on my next rifle. It is kind of handy to dump the magazine with a push of the button however.

Enjoy your Safari rifle you lucky debil!
Old October 28, 2018, 10:51   #3
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I met Capstick at a Safari Convention in Vegas back in the early 90's. He was an interesting character, like his books even though it is probably 75% true, 25% fiction. In one of his books he wrote about a young guy that got attacked by a hippo in Kenya and flown to South Africa for treatment. I was on the plane when they flew him back to the US.

He told me the animal he feared the most was the jaguar, and that was the only dangerous cat that ever bit him.
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 12:08   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Am a big Capstick fan and am currently re-reading “Safari Rifles” by Boddington. Capstick’s “Death in the Silent Places” is also a good read. My German mfg .378 Wby Mag scratches my elephant-bashing itch.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 13:49   #5
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
I went thru the safari rifle phase about 15-20 years ago. I think everybody should own at least one. Unless you're sensitive to heavy recoil. I still own a 458 and a 375 H&H. You never know when a rhino might escape from the zoo and terrorize your neighborhood.
It could happen
Old October 28, 2018, 15:34   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I"ve always wanted a double rifle in .45-70. Although I appreciate the external hammer colt 1878 Style, I also like the single trigger sabatti . Apparently Beretta made one also - GR2? - with double trigger.

Remington has one - the SPR22, but it is rather inelegant. (Really a Baiikal?)

Old October 28, 2018, 15:46   #7
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
I went thru the safari rifle phase about 15-20 years ago. I think everybody should own at least one. Unless you're sensitive to heavy recoil. I still own a 458 and a 375 H&H. You never know when a rhino might escape from the zoo and terrorize your neighborhood.
It could happen

Or when you might have to sort out a Jumbo in the memsahib's vegetable garden.

My African quiver consists of a light 7mm Mauser, a medium 375 H&H, and a heavy 416 Rigby.
Old October 28, 2018, 16:35   #8
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I"ve always wanted a double rifle in .45-70. Although I appreciate the external hammer colt 1878 Style, I also like the single trigger sabatti . Apparently Beretta made one also - GR2? - with double trigger.

Amen ! I've always joneses for one, although I have no idea why.

Are the Baikals that bad ?

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 17:06   #9
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
My .378 Wby is currently the biggest bore in my collection but I’ve always wanted a .416 Taylor and like an idiot I recently passed on a moderately priced one on a CZ-Brno action.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2018, 18:20   #10
bulletslap
Registered

FALaholic #: 8042
Friends of mine with bigger bank accounts than mine, and who have used heavy rifles recommend Chapuis Double Rifles as a good rifle for the money.

I will have to make do with my old Siamese Mauser Sporter in 45-70.

Last edited by bulletslap; October 29, 2018 at 13:20.
bulletslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2018, 08:14   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Just cosmetically - they are promoted as a working man's double. $600 ish. To me they look like a Ruger Red label. Birch stock and drab finish. Serviceable, but for the elegance they lack, they may as well be real-tree camo.

I think EAA makes a coach gun with .45-70 barrel inserts - slight elliptical mounts for regulation. Review said 6" at 50 yards. That's kindof my fantasy one day is to make a .45-70 double off an old shotgun action.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImag...wm_5171525.jpg
Old October 29, 2018, 08:36   #12
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
He told me the animal he feared the most was the jaguar, and that was the only dangerous cat that ever bit him.
I thought he feared the leopard. I read some of his books a long time ago. I kind of remember him saying the leopard killed and ate more people than it was given credit for, and that they were dangerous and smart and sometimes hunted him.
Old October 29, 2018, 12:27   #13
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:

I have a Siamese Mauser wearing a Douglas 45-70 barrel squirreled away in the safe that I hope to get around to some time in the future. That'll be a fun blaster if I ever get it finished.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2018, 12:56   #14
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
I thought he feared the leopard. I read some of his books a long time ago. I kind of remember him saying the leopard killed and ate more people than it was given credit for, and that they were dangerous and smart and sometimes hunted him.
That's what I remembered as well. IIRC, Ruark felt that way about leopard, might be what I am remembering.

Hard to beat either Capstick or Ruark.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2018, 13:09   #15
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
Chapstick lived the dream! Born in NJ, worked in lower Manhattan and ends up a PH in Africa. That only happens in the movies.
D P Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 12:00   #16
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 12:54   #17
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Ruger makes some great looking Safari Grade rifles, as does Winchester.

"Garage Art", or rather Gun Room Art.

I love machines.

Recoil is stout with full house loads in a .458 Lott, but not so bad in a .375H&H, and both can be loaded down to impress your friends at the range, with those huge shells.

A light 45-70 Marlin lever action will kick your ass. Light weight and poor stock design is why, but to save your life, nothing beats a heavy bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsqTXEM02Mk
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 14:36   #18
nmcollektor
Registered

FALaholic #: 61864
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Amen ! I've always joneses for one, although I have no idea why.

I have one and they're fine. The overall quality (including the stock) is better than you would expect for the price point, although the triggers need work out of the box.

Mine groups 2" - 4" at 50 yards consistently. I have been told not to bother shooting it further than that as you wouldn't in a real safari situation.

The good thing is - it's heavier than it looks, so the 45/70 PUSH is very manageable.

The bad thing is - like any double - the accuracy can't really be adjusted without a complete re-welding of the barrels, which explains the high cost of most of the doubles out there.

It is a head turner at the range for sure.

I looked for an SPR-22 in 45/70 for over a year without finding one, so I gave in and got the Baikal.
nmcollektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 14:58   #19
frankxtc
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10952
This thread motivated me go and find my 1968 copy of Elmer Keith's "Safari".

I recalled a passage from chapter 7 "Your African Battery, Part 1 - Rifles for dangerous game"

Elmer is explaining to the reader which calibers are best for each type of African game, and for different situations.

Page 84

"Though the lion can be taken with a .375, the big bores are infinitely better under most conditions you will encounter today.
Most of the lion and leopard are baited, or you trail them up on wet ground, and we have even trailed them several miles over hard baked ground.
At any rate you will seldom get but one shot at the lion or leopard and it is imperative that you kill or disable him with your first shot, or he will reach cover.
Then you have trouble in large quantity on your hands.
The lion is an old gentleman and even at close range will usually growl before he charges and let you know his position, not so the leopard.
That spotted cat will hide like a pheasant and won't move until you are in certain reach, then he will jump you.
For these reasons it's best to use a big gun on lion and also a good reason for the use of a powerful small rifle on the leopard.
If you get a wounded leopard in dense bush or grass the shotgun is then the best weapon if loaded with buckshot.

You won't see him until he jumps and you won't have time to either mount the gun or aim and the best you can do is simply ram it at him like a spear and shoot at the same time."
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 17:13   #20
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
I"ve always wanted a double rifle in .45-70.
Remington has one - the SPR22
I've always wanted one as well, but my Google-fu is not pulling up any on Gonebroker or elswehere actually for sale.

Were these a limited run with just a few out there or are my web search skills just lacking?
Old October 30, 2018, 17:19   #21
nmcollektor
Registered

FALaholic #: 61864
I have pretty good search skills as well, but never found one available - just those that had sold, mostly on Gunsamerica - where they don't list a price afterwards.

You can find the 30.06 SPR-22 pretty easily, but often overpriced at $1500 or more.
nmcollektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2018, 10:43   #22
MajHenryWest
Registered

FALaholic #: 11906
Question

Over the years I have had the opportunity to
Look at some of the older dangerous game guns,
Has anyone here shot the 2 bore or 4 bore rifles?
Huge black powder metallic cartridges.

How about .600 or .700 Nitro Express?
Old November 01, 2018, 08:21   #23
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Ive shot a Kneghoff 500 nitro express double rifle, just a hand full of years ago.
Used Hornady ammo and It kicked some, but not as bad as I was expecting.
Still, not something I could ever really need or afford myself.

All my 'safari' hunting is limited to when I get a wild hair and use my winny 70 in 375 h&h or a marlin 45-70 on the local white tails...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 02, 2018, 21:38   #24
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Regarding Baikals, they are great for hunting.

Try to bring one to a sporting clays, skeet or trap shoot.

You will shortly be embarassed by the expensive guns most shoot. Perazzis's, Kreighoffs, Brownings, Kolars, Remington 3200's, Winchester Diamond Grade, etc.

You CAN get away with a Remington 870 pump, as Remington has them for sporting clays, skeet and trap versions. Same with the Remington 1187 and 1100 models, for those sports too.

Don't be the guy who shows up at a car show........ with a Yugo.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 04, 2018, 21:07   #25
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
I hadn't ever really thought about a double rifle much, I just assumed they were out of my reach financially. Would love the opportunity.
I have been lusting after a 20 gauge Howdah pistol replica though as I have a couple black powder firearms in the same caliber already. One is a bit of a disappointment-- made in India 1720 French Dragoon horse pistol replica flinter with a 30# trigger pull and very crude lock. I shoot a patched .600 320g round ball behind a mild 30g of FF. The Pedersoli Howdah would be a nice step up and the charge could increase considerably.

These were supposed to be last ditch tiger defense back in the day. No tigers around here but maybe would work fine on a nasty hog.
Old November 06, 2018, 08:33   #26
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
My dad was a huge African safari and Capstick fan so I grew up with his books.
When I went to Africa on safari in 2001, I went with Ruger No. 1's, in .375 H&H and 6mm Rem. It was a great hunt. Three generations, my dad, me and my son. My son shot his first big game animal in Africa so he has that story to tell for the rest of his life. He was 13.
I shot my first Gemsbok with the .375 and then I put it down for the rest of the safari, and used my 6mm, which took everything from Gemsbok to Zebra to Springbok to Blesbok to Greater Kudu.

I asked my PH which rifle he preferred, and he owned a 7mm Mag. He said he hated it when a client showed up with .458 Win Mag's, and other rifles like that because most people flinch too much to make a good shot with them. Too much recoil. He really hated the .458. He said he had to track more animals shot with the .458 then any other caliber.

I did have to convince an Afrikaner in the Namibian Kalahari to allow me to use my 6mm when we hunted his land. He thought it was too small for plains game but my son took a Gemsbok, and I took a Gemsbok, both dropped dead with one round each.

Now, if I was hunting the Big 5, then I would carry a .375 H&H with 300 gr. solids. That round will kill anything in Africa. No need for .458's, .416's, etc, when you hit them in the vitals.

I shot a few deer and one elk with my .375 H&H in Idaho. I liked how it didn't tear up, and bloody the meat around the hole. Plus it dropped them like an invisible truck had hit them!
I sold my .375 but still have a .300 H&H Remington Classic. I was looking for the Remington Classic in .375 H&H so I would have both H&H's but I'm past my big game hunting days and really don't need it. Maybe one will come by for a good price someday..........

If anyone is interested, I used PH Fred Burchell, a descendant of British explorer and naturalist William John Burchell, who actually named many of the species he found in the mid 1800's.
Fred's web site. I went on the Namibian hunt, at the northern and southern farms. http://frontiersafaris.com/
I highly suggest if you can swing the money, you should really go on safari in Africa. You'll love it!!

Some of my trophies.
My Zebra was a huge mare. The rug is 11 feet long! When my wife and I searched for our retirement home, we had a list of items we wanted, but at the top of the list was a house with a wall big enough for this rug.

This one was my dad's Springbok. We went out on a meat hunt one morning, and dad shot this one.

idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2018, 18:26   #27
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
idsubgun wrote: "I shot a few deer and one elk with my .375 H&H in Idaho. I liked how it didn't tear up, and bloody the meat around the hole. Plus it dropped them like an invisible truck had hit them!"

I have been using a 9.3X62 for deer the last few years. I get less meat damage with it then I do with a 308 or 06.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 00:04   #28
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
This thread needs more pics..!!!!

My @1972 Winchester M70 .375H&H, bought it @1983 as a 14yo

(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 05:54   #29
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
IIRC Capstick was not that wild about crocodiles. He stopped short of saying they should be hunted into extinction. I think he said those things and the leopards were bad news and ate the most people.

I think we only have salt water crocodiles in USA.

Last edited by Mebsuta; November 07, 2018 at 06:03.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 09:30   #30
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
I read somewhere years ago that some African countries will not let you hunt big game with anything less than a .40 caliber rifle, no matter what manufacturer.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 10:23   #31
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
I read somewhere years ago that some African countries will not let you hunt big game with anything less than a .40 caliber rifle, no matter what manufacturer.

Jarhead
Never seen that, but may be truth. It'd be a stupid rule!

Some countries won't let you in-country with military ammo. So you might not be able to take your favorite .308 custom bolt gun.
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 07:51   #32
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
Never seen that, but may be truth. It'd be a stupid rule!

Some countries won't let you in-country with military ammo. So you might not be able to take your favorite .308 custom bolt gun.
I think that was in "Soldier of Fortune" magazine. They used to cover a lot of stories and adventures of African game hunters.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 09:06   #33
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I believe that most countries won’t allow a hunter to hunt the big 5 with anything less than a .375 caliber. I do remember reading in one of the outdoor magazines a story about 10 years ago where the writer was allowed to use a 30-06 to take a Cape buffalo.

I’ve wanted a 375 H&H since I was kid but I’m not sure I’ll ever own one, even if I make it to the dark continent. I have dreams of making it there one day but I think I’ll just take my Weatherby Mark V in 338-06. I think it will be able to take all the game I’d want to hunt. I’ve got a supply of original Bearclaw bullets as well as some Barns bullets just for the trip.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 15:34   #34
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
I have a dirty little secret....I do love hunting all manner of critters with my .375. I accept that it is a bit much gun for rabbits but that certainly does not stop me. As a kid (remember I got it at 14) many bunnies got cratered, but that turned into pigs and goats (we have LOTS of feral goats) and then in my late teens off into the far north hunting Asiatic Buffalo. I don't need an excuse to hunt with it.... When I was getting ready to go to Africa I used it for much of my hunting here (mostly pigs and Fallow Deer.....but a good number of bunnies as well) for the 18 months before I went. Offhand/field shooting it is not at all punishing and does bring a smile to my face...
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018, 08:12   #35
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
I believe that most countries won’t allow a hunter to hunt the big 5 with anything less than a .375 caliber. I do remember reading in one of the outdoor magazines a story about 10 years ago where the writer was allowed to use a 30-06 to take a Cape buffalo.

I’ve wanted a 375 H&H since I was kid but I’m not sure I’ll ever own one, even if I make it to the dark continent. I have dreams of making it there one day but I think I’ll just take my Weatherby Mark V in 338-06. I think it will be able to take all the game I’d want to hunt. I’ve got a supply of original Bearclaw bullets as well as some Barns bullets just for the trip.
9.3 x 62 is given an exception many places, as would be 9.3 x 74R.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote