The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old February 05, 2018, 17:56   #1
JohnnyJohnsoninWI
Registered

FALaholic #: 45760
'98 Mauser Bolt Spec's?

Does anyone know the diameter specifications for the locking lugs on a '98 Mauser bolt? Thanks.
JohnnyJohnsoninWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2018, 08:39   #2
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
I pulled out books and couldn't find it so I measured a couple bolts from Mauser 98's. You can't get an accurate measurement because of ejector slot cut on left lug but I'd say it is around .970" - .980". If it's an actual millimeter dimension, the closest would be 25mm (.984").

This obviously is not scientific, just a educated guess-timate. If I was still working, I could get deadly accurate measurements on a CMM. I do miss some of the shop equipment I don't have access to anymore.
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2018, 22:55   #3
JohnnyJohnsoninWI
Registered

thanks idsubgun

My commercial FN '98 mauser measures .950" and my commercial '98 mauser of Spanish origin measures .965".

The Spanish mauser extractor didn't put enough tension on the case to hold it in place for proper extraction/ejection. I purchased a new military surplus extractor to experiment with and gradually removed metal from the radiused tab below the extractor claw (the part that rides in the slot in the bolt) until the extractor just clears the locking lug. Now the claw just barely holds the case against the other side of the bolt face but with little to no tension and the rifle still doesn't function properly.

Still trying to troubleshoot the problem. The thought occurred to me that maybe some ding dong welded up the lug diameter and re-turned them to oversized diameter. Anyway, that's why I was asking.

No, I'm not about to start turning down the lugs.
Old February 06, 2018, 23:30   #4
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Somebody made oversize claw mauser extractors years ago,,,cant remember who, but I remember fitting one back early 90's or so...
Did you try looking at brownells by chance ??
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2018, 09:54   #5
JohnnyJohnsoninWI
Registered

oversized extractors

The Gun Runner 98 Mauser extractor blank from Brownell's has been discontinued. The Strobel extractor blank from Midway is currently out of stock with no backorder allowed. Hopefully, they'll get some more in and I will buy one to play with.
Have a great day.
Old February 07, 2018, 11:10   #6
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnsoninWI View Post
My commercial FN '98 mauser measures .950" and my commercial '98 mauser of Spanish origin measures .965".
The actual measurements across the lugs were .952", .958", .9585", .959" and .962", and that's on the flats where they cut the ejector slot.

I was trying to guesstimate what it'd be if completely round with the .970"-.980" and .984" (25mm) dimensions.
Old February 07, 2018, 11:19   #7
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnsoninWI View Post
The Gun Runner 98 Mauser extractor blank from Brownell's has been discontinued. The Strobel extractor blank from Midway is currently out of stock with no backorder allowed. Hopefully, they'll get some more in and I will buy one to play with.
Have a great day.
I'd put WTB ads for Gun Runners and Strobel extractor blanks on gun forums. I bet someone has one laying around.

I'd definitely put an ad on Gunboards.com.
Old February 22, 2018, 10:10   #8
JohnnyJohnsoninWI
Registered

Thanks alot IDSubGun

I'd never heard of Gunboards.com before. Now I'll be spending every spare moment for the next two months reading through their forums. Oh well, what else is there to do this time of year in WI?
Thanks again.