The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old January 24, 2018, 07:10   #1
mp44collector
Registered

FALaholic #: 68944
ISO: Armourer Kit

Anyone sell a Kit with all the tools Needed to work on a FAL. Complete with Go/No Go Gauges, Correct size Punches, Vise and Clamp, sight tools, recoil spring tool Etc Etc. and a good selection of head spacing parts. I have found a Bit of things But I like to hear Referrals. Thanks Shawn
mp44collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018, 07:29   #2
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Sure Iíll sell you the whole package. Shipping on the vice is going to be a bitch.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018, 08:59   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I'm almost finished putting my kit together. So far it fills a 1700 sq ft shop.
Old January 24, 2018, 10:08   #4
SmokeEater2
Old grouchy bastid
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10990
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I'm almost finished putting my kit together. So far it fills a 1700 sq ft shop.

SmokeEater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018, 10:10   #5
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Is Gunthings.com still in business? Haven't been building for awhile, but he was a good source for such things. Believe he sold Ratas's Barrel Vise and Receiver wrench along with a Pin Gauge set and Buttstock tool.
He also had Gunplumber's Workbook & DVDs.

Recommend the Bolt Extractor tool if he has the thing. Real handy item, saves a lot of cussing and bloodshed.

The BFH, BHV, and One inch 4' "extension pipe" can be sourced locally and a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old January 24, 2018, 10:34   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Is Gunthings.com still in business? Haven't been building for awhile, but he was a good source for such things. Believe he sold Ratas's Barrel Vise and Receiver wrench along with a Pin Gauge set and Buttstock tool.
He also had Gunplumber's Workbook & DVDs.

Recommend the Bolt Extractor tool if he has the thing. Real handy item, saves a lot of cussing and bloodshed.

The BFH, BHV, and One inch 4' "extension pipe" can be sourced locally and a heck of a lot cheaper.
Yes, Brad is still quite active here on on the FAL FB page.
Old January 24, 2018, 11:32   #7
Potshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 6398
Strange. All my vices ship quite easily....
Old January 28, 2018, 12:16   #8
mp44collector
Registered

FALaholic #: 68944
ISO: Armourer Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
Sure Iíll sell you the whole package. Shipping on the vice is going to be a bitch.
Thank you for the Response's. The Vise Might be a Bit much for a Tool roll but Thanks, The 1700 Sq Foot shop sounds inviting but I am not Ready to settle down Yet. Seems to be sites to get these items But looks like No one has a Complete package setup. Again Thanks
mp44collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018, 12:37   #9
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp44collector View Post
Thank you for the Response's. The Vise Might be a Bit much for a Tool roll but Thanks, The 1700 Sq Foot shop sounds inviting but I am not Ready to settle down Yet. Seems to be sites to get these items But looks like No one has a Complete package setup. Again Thanks
Probably due to the expense of everything required, and a very narrow buyer group. You could source all of your tools on-line or locally, like the rest of us did, and you'll have hand tools you prefer, a vise in the size you want, and the choice of how and where everything fits.
Mark for example, made some of the tools he uses. Most of mine are from the Snap On truck as I'm a mechanic. My advice is put your own kit together. Buy quality tools, a quality bench vise, the Ratas build set, and you'll get many builds out of your custom made kit.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018, 13:09   #10
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
A total kit would be spendy and give you tools that you may not need. Example, there are at least 3 front sight tools you would need - Izzy, Inch, and metric. Some tools like the gauges are good for all 7.62 rifles. But you would need to pick up two separate sets - one for the .308 ammo you might want to shoot and one for the mil-surp 7.62 you will most likely shoot.

What everyone here is trying to say in answer to your question, there is no set "tool kit" out there for working on FAL's. There are armourer's lists of tools that can guide you, but they include some very rare and expensive presses and gauges you really don't need.

A well equipped tool bench/box with a decent vise of good size (>6") and some specialized stuff you can usually find in the Marketplace - Ratas Receiver vise and wrench, sight alignment tools, extractor tool, recoil plug tool, and pin gauges - will suffice. Anything else is a luxury and not a necessity.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018, 13:51   #11
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
I love tools...

And somehow I get a good giggle knowing somebody or maybe a bunch of people are going to go bat shit crazy trying to figure out WTF some of my shop made gunsmithing tools and fixtures are for....
Hell,,,sometimes I come across stuff I built that I cant figure out WTF it was for...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote