Notices

Old July 16, 2017, 11:59   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Turkey Buzzard Problem

Long Buzzard Post to Cover Years Worth of Details Leading to Issues:
Have always had healthy buzzard population and leveraged to clean up varmints too lazy to go bury or otherwise dispose of. Normally when shoot squirrel let them fall to either feed the feral cats or draw coyote in. Can pop a couple in the early evening and by midnight usually get a coyote or two roll up for execution. With the large coyote population and lean pickings since folks have learned to keep small pets indoors with any luck a coyote execution leads to another or few coming to knaw on their dead tribe member thus more executions. As far as we can tell only one other person in earshot that seems to shoot regularly enough to be doing the same though know a few other neighbors run suppressors. Past two decades buzzards roosted in trees about a half mile north as mostly wooded area. Recently for some reason house two doors down got them in back yard to point began using fireworks and installed spike strips on eve of roof.

Since spring buzzards moved to trees behind our house and becoming significant pests. At times will be over a dozen on rear deck and know it's time to clean gutters based on their landing on roof to pick through leaves debris for grubs and worms. Clean gutters and unless put all debris in wheelbarrow and haul off they just dig through the debris along foundation of house. Back of house is over 20 feet from gutter to ground so getting debris from gutters and valleys of roof to land in wheelbarrow is tough which leads to raking but doesn't get all. Seems like they have run off the feral cats that lived off mice and dead squirrel. Now having to get more active about fighting mice outside the house to keep them from finding ways in. The buzzards are freaking wife out as becoming more and more bold.

Have taken to cleaning gutters more throughly and disposing of debris. Also spending a lot more time going after dead varmints with a shovel and burying to discourage them but problem is still getting worse. Since they went to roosting on deck rail installed spike strips to discourage so they went to roosting on deck furniture. Turned chairs upside down, took umbrella off table and been chunking lots of fireworks out back door when a flock swoops in. This morning went out front door about 4 am to slip around side of house with the night vision coyote rifle and was over a dozen sleeping on rails of front porch. After zapping the coyote took a broom and slapped a couple which freaked them out and as went into panic flight they all were spewing sh!t all over porch as trying to figure out what was up while still mostly asleep. Luckily have had lots of rain which keeps most of the buzzard crap washed off deck but not off front porch. If not on front porch they also roost on ridge cap of roof and our nice metal roof is covered with acidic bird droppings. Between that and always poking in gutters they have out worn welcome.

Have always been a buzzard friendly person as something has to eat all the road kill and till recently appreciated them eating whatever I was too lazy to pick up after killing. If they would roost in trees and just eat dead stuff all would be fine. Seems to be three different flocks on or near our property now. One actually swooped at wife when tried to run them off deck, they stare in kitchen windows at her and are making her uneasy. Do not want to drill holes to install bird spikes on ridge caps of roof, don't want to spend the money on swapping to the new high tech gutters and wife doesn't like the spikes on deck as it's her little outdoor haven and can't flip over out pre WW2 iron yard furniture if wants to sit on deck in morning or evening when cool. Can't use railings for rifle rest without risking getting stabbed with spike strips now. Have installed a lot of electric bird strips on signs and roofs ridges for clients and especially billboards but do not want the added attraction of EMP/lightning events running electronic bird strips along lip of roof, ridge caps, etc. Never had great luck with the commercial paint additives that are supposed to deter birds, mainly pigeons.

For 30 years have run all kinds of bird infestations off signs and roofs for clients but do not want any of the solutions that work attached to my house permanently and wife said this morning the buzzards had to go. She actually put an official "contract" on all buzzards but had to tell her are protected species and there is nothing nastier than watching a buzzard eating itself after being shot. Seen that more than once, someone shoot a buzzard dead center with high power rifle putting significant hole through them, many just look at gaping entrance hole in chest and start pulling own guts out and eating themselves to death. Used to know a really perverted guy who did this for sport, used 30-06 black tip to make good solid hole but do minimum short term trauma then he and a couple buddies would wager on how long it would take buzzard to actually die. Sure, could slaughter a flock as from seeing others murder them, shooting one usually doesn't spook the flock but they become very interested in their buddy with the bullet hole and help him eat himself.

Talked to guys two doors down on July 4th and said buzzards were the reason they were shooting off fireworks year round as after they installed spikes went to roosting on their cars, porch, etc. Next door neighbor on other side is having same issue and he blasted two in past week because has carport instead of garage and were roosting on his wife's car. Called Game & Fish to see if they helped under these circumstances or if any special rules for extreme buzzard issues. My idea was paint ball gun with pepper balls to see if the pepper affected buzzards, would at least bruise them and hurt. Game Warden said shooting them with paintball gun was illegal but unlikely to get more than a minor ticket if caught. Also said like coyote and deer, buzzards were such a common complaint odds were if willing to go in front of a jury finding a dozen people in this area that would convict a person for pepper balling a vulture would be slim if willing to hire lawyer. When a flock fills one of the poplar trees at fence line would be easy peasy to bust a half dozen or more at a time with 34 grain Dogtown hollow points from one of the 22 Hornets. Imagine inside of a couple weeks they would either learn to move elsewhere or be coyote bait which would not bother me at all except know we need buzzards in the food chain. Till they started causing damage to house and upsetting wife we had a great relationship. They stayed in woods till heard crack of rifle and smelled blood. Since kill varmints almost daily I am contributing to the issue by spraying blood and guts all around the Ponderosa.

If they had not run off my mice eating feral cats, started damaging house and upset spousal unit we could all still live in harmony. Have only used one high frequency sound device that worked on birds and it costs over $500 plus unsure if the constant exposure to the high frequencies might cause wife to stab me in the eye with a fork some night. So now am asking for any successful out of the box solutions to buzzard pollution. Hate to run them off totally and hate idea of killing them even worse just because rotting, stinking dead animals laying around sucks. If get them back to roosting just 100 yards from house, stay off deck, porch and roof without covering everything with spike strips and electric shock devices all will be fine. So who has the magic buzzard voodoo?
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 13:14   #2
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
" So who has the magic buzzard voodoo?"

I wish I knew. They are really getting bold here in town. Dead squirrels in the road draws a few and they seem to dare you to run them over. There was a flock of thirty or more roosting in one man's back yard here in Cameron. I think they used propane cannons to scare them off. I have had them around an old dilapidated "barn" in the country and even had them lay eggs and hatch chicks.

As for that federal protection, it seems to me that only works if their protector is actually there. Egrets get the same "protection" and run the same risks. Dead buzzards stink for months; I don't think anything else will eat one, maybe not even another buzzard. Nasty damned birds.
Old July 16, 2017, 17:02   #3
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
You might want to edit your post, I've known people to get buthurt over the killing of tree rats, and an over zealous prosecutor could cause you trouble for shooting and leaving a state controlled game animal.

Personallly I would go out and buy a full auto airsoft rifle and manually repel them, air soft hurts but won't break the skin. I used to have a neighbor who I exchanged fire with on a regular basis, another vet and all in fun but it does hurt like hell when you aren't expecting it. Or You might try one of these,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009F1R0GC...a-375566648157

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Last edited by badzero; July 16, 2017 at 17:08.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 17:08   #4
mutter
Registered

FALaholic #: 22871
bird bombs

or for pleasure and cheapness

Wrist rocket and frozen paint balls
mutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 19:31   #5
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Bird bombs are now DD I think.

Have a friend with a major problem on his game ranch. Eating babies while being delivered and newborns. USFWS will issue permits to remove without too much paperwork, depending on your local office and the amount of degree of nuisance.
Vultures/buzzards have a pretty high intelligence level ,smarter than parrots and
falcons, highly trainable and can deduce simple problems. Will probably do well when SHTF and beyond. They are now as urban as coyotes.
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 07:48   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badzero View Post
You might want to edit your post, I've known people to get buthurt over the killing of tree rats, and an over zealous prosecutor could cause you trouble for shooting and leaving a state controlled game animal.

Personallly I would go out and buy a full auto airsoft rifle and manually repel them, air soft hurts but won't break the skin. I used to have a neighbor who I exchanged fire with on a regular basis, another vet and all in fun but it does hurt like hell when you aren't expecting it. Or You might try one of these.
Won't be any issue with wasting tree rats 24/7/365 as have multiple reports of damage. Right now have a ladder going to attic of work and rifle in attic to shoot the ones that have found way in again. Have had Ma Bell out twice to repair phone/DSL, alarm company three times and electrician twice. The squirrel are such a problem locally even cops are shooting them. Three LEO's will hang out at work on lunch breaks and on occasion tinted windows rolls down and little puff from suppressed 22 pops and a squirrel hits the ground. Have papers from DNR declaring then a nuisance due to the extreme damage are doing to business and home properties. Squirell and coyote are freebies just like ground hog are. Crow are free any time during growing season if in a farmers field or anywhere during season. I shoot the crap out of all. No buzzards at work but plenty of feral cats that dissappear when unlock gates in morning and migrate all around building when lock up. No mice or rat problem and they clean up the days squirrel. We have a deal, leave me alone during work day and they have run of exterior rest of time. Kill over 10 per day sometimes and have killed over 100 in a month when pecan trees put on nuts.

Have four pecan trees at house and fig. The squirrel go crazy for figs. If we don't kill,them wholesale they bring their nuts in the attic or basement to hide. They are ingenious about gaining entry by chewing holes in eve's and coming in. Had all the eve's of my house covered in aluminum as they don't seem to chew any kind of metal, just wood and vinyl. At work have dozens of holes patched with metal and can't seem to find their most recent means of ingress so when hear in attic run up ladder, grab 10/22 setup with tactical light a zap them. Have suppressed 10/22 loaded with subsonic next to side door and shoot them daily. Shot one off side of house one morning a few weeks ago that was actively chewing a hole in area that had wood and vinyl still. They have become extreme nuisance and have set off burglar alarm three times at work in past six months. Was no troube getting permits for work and house. Shoot ground hog weekly at home (thus far held back to neighbors yards) and noticed my first at work just recently. Any varmint can kill legally I exterminate. Know over year have shot over 500 squirrel at work as shooting in city is illegal and I have fought annexation every time. Am a little island of county jurisdiction inside of town and any renters that move in and complain about squirrel shooting or my indoor range get the rules read by cops first trip out.

So bad during fig season and pecan season wife has become a squirrel murderer as I can't be home like she is. Took a while for her to get her mind around killing them, let hit the ground and leave for other animals to tote off but she has adapted well and her sniping skills have really sharpened up. If legal way would shoot buzzards till they went away as my wife likes wildlife and doesn't like my friends deer huntil in yard but we have hit deer five times in trucks and once on motorcycle within a mile of home. Every animal can think of is now of epic nuisance proportion. Talk to DNR, get any permits or applicable rules and stay inside the lines. Unfortunately buzzards are protected and can't even do anything that makes contact with them and like paintballs was told airsoft, BB guns, pellets; all are illegal.

At work have had to resort to traps and poison for squirrel and dislike poison but cannot shoot them fast enough. Have to get then back in control before fall pecan season or its going to be pure hell. Now have buzzards to deal with. Threw three cherry bombs on back deck yesterday eve and one on front porch. Can't imagine lining gutters with spike strips as will make leaf buildup and cleaning impossible. Don't want to penetrate my new metal roof with screws for any devices have used. DNR suggested fireworks as best legal way to discourage. It has to work or going to follow wife's command. No more buzzards on her deck, staring in windows and walking on roof sounding like people make so much noise up there. First one catch on trucks will change the rules. Luckily rained last night and washed roof bUT why they tried to seek shelter on front porch. Have bark sensors that emit high frequency whine to control an neighbors dogs who apparently doesn't care if they bark all night. Other neighbors dog will only bark if animal in sight and knows my rifle will bark if alerts me.

Turned in yard one evening and five or six deer in front yard went crazy running in panic mode, ran into side of my main and spare work trucks and got tangled in fence. Easter Morning left house early and as pulled out of drive had a deer hit me in drivers side fender and another passenger side quarter panel. Inside city limits bow hunters are killing deer wholesale but not keeping up. Over a dozen businesses locally now that come chase/catch nusiance wildlife. These guys are expensive and only install devices to discourage buzzards. Not breaking down on the $500 high frequency device though researching building one. Other day as walking out door to truck caught three squirrel and only recourse was to pull suppressed 9mm SIG from briefcase and drill them with 147 grain 9mm hollow points. Messy. One way or another buzzards go back to the tree line at fence or dissapear. Wonder if the mob will let me dispose of them in foundation pours of skyscrapers? Have a paid pigeon job on a big business entrance sign as crapping on clients. Entire world around here is gone wild with scraggly, ugly, flea/tick infested wildlife populations and decades of regular killing used to keep them at fence line for most part but now it's just slowing them, are getting in structures. Poison for squirrel at house may become necessary soon but then the feral cats eat them and die. I shoot varmints daily and others just whine or pay a wildlife service to deal with. When chicken farmers offer to pay people to shoot coyou and corn farmers offer to shoot crow and could likely pay my bills doing so it has become an epic issue.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old July 17, 2017, 10:33   #7
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
The big problem you'll have is that they are a protected species, just like hawks, owls, and eagles. So don't do anything the critter cops will frown on.

That said, we have a problem wtih them here at work. Damaging buildings, etc. But the real big problem is our teaching zoo - 25-100 birds will congregate, steal food from the zoo animals, etc.

So our zoo folk have a permit to launch fireworks at them. Screeming meemies, buzz bombs, mortars, whatever. Loud whistles going up, loud report.

Keeps 'em away for about 20 minutes - long enough for feeding time.
Old July 17, 2017, 10:51   #8
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I really do not have advice I could offer you..

hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 11:59   #9
BruceHMX
Registered

FALaholic #: 18708
There is a house here in town that is close to the landfill. With that said he has been 150 to 200 on the house, yard, and trees. It's actually very creepy and every agency has tried to clean them up from Va. Game Commission, local animal control you name it. They have tried it all to include the old method of killing one and hanging it from said tree. Didn't work so they killed five of them and it still didn't work. So now they have given up and they just keep multiplying and getting more brazen. The five were killed with a suppressed AR-15 and hung up for a week. They have two dogs tied up outside and they pester them to death. County offered to take said dogs in and the old man refused. I know one of the animal control guys and I'll check to see if they have come up with anything recently. But I doubt it as I drove by Saturday and the yard was full. While they are nasty what freaks me out is when they spread their wings while just standing there to sun themselves. Driving by and like 50 to 75 are out there like that.
BruceHMX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 17:36   #10
nopec
Registered

FALaholic #: 72693
I don't believe in the sonics. Tried them to keep mice out of my vehicles in the garage. Didn't work. They are protected, and beneficial. But everybody wears out their welcome. If they are "harassing your livestock", you may have legal options.
nopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 21:09   #11
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
You have an overabundance of food supply around you, Huey.
This is the core of the problem.

Every 7 years you need to let the land lay fallow and live off of what you have stored during that 6th year. (Biblical).

I think you need to consider stopping the source of your problems and let nature take its course instead of doing battle with it any longer.

I'm not sure exactly what that would entail but I'm sure you are cogent enough to connect the dots and devise a plan of action.

It'll probably take a couple of years to accomplish but then you can hopefully get the situation back in balance/manageable.

Keep us posted as this is reminiscent of our current social problems of the entitlement species.

Last edited by Bama Steve; July 18, 2017 at 01:17. Reason: time line
Bama Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 14:50   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Had my monthly nerve block yesterday which meant staying at home today. In the anesthesia mix fog of Fentanyl and Propofol had a genius idea. Being retarded forces my best ideas to come when not sitting on my brain. While laying face down on surgical table and anesthesiologist was swapping from Zofran to Fentanyl then Propofol my brain fired one of my last remaining synapses. We go through a half gallon of Almond Milk every day, wife is lactose intolerant and I discovered like vanilla almond milk better than the real deal on my shredded wheat plus it keeps for months unrefridgerated. Went to our recycle bin before sunrise this morning and filled five jugs with water and left lids off. Set them at even intervals on deck rail, opened a kitchen window and removed screen then slid back almost closed. Screwed suppressor on my SIG 1911 Tacops and loaded it with a magazine of PMC Starfire. For some reason around breakfast time is when they begin to gather on deck railings and they were intrigued with the almond milk cartons trying to stick their beaks in the little spouts when I entered kitchen to refill coffee cup. Picked up the big SIG Tacops TB, lined up one of the half gallon jugs with a buzzard trying to stick his head in spout and busted the jug with a 45 acp 185 grain hollow point.

They didn't even have instinct to un @$$ the A.O. immediately were so panicked and managed to bust two more jugs before all flew away showering them with water and shredded cardboard. In kitchen, full house 45 acp rocking away and the big titanium Hybrid suppressor does such a good job it didn't even wake the wife but the buzzards have not returned today. Replaced the jugs blew up and have a SIG 9mm with Osprey suppressor that wife likes loaded with the pink box high velocity, low recoil Hornady Critical Defense ammo next to 45. Told wife whenever she sees the buzzards bust whichever jug is closest to one and if able to bust more before they leave to do her best not to get excited and shoot out one of my high efficiency double paned windows. No way will the 45 Starfire or low recoil 9mm Critical Defense carry enough mass or energy after hitting a half gallon jug of water to be of any danger. No way to miss from under 20 feet either, just center the jug and bust crap out of it.

My only mistake was not having the video cameras on porch. Have cameras on idle now and if they come back just have to tap record button on phone or tablet interface as picking up a pistol. Tomorrow hope they have chilled enough to return as will have cameras, removed all screens from kitchen windows and total of seven jugs. Plan is to wake wife tomorrow or gather her up if return this evening and one start on left, other on right and race to midle jug. Makes it a tactical pistol exercise in team engagement for both of us and scares the absolute crap out of the buzzards. I might have to start taking drugs again so able to come up with more ingenious ideas. Am so pissed didn't have my new action cams rolling as may have been the funniest thing have seen in a decade. First buzzard was fully concentrated on trying to get in jug when it blew up suprised it didn't have a heart attack. Was so stunned he was last of flock to fly off, others were flapping and starting to move or fly as busted second two jugs. Don't think Hollyweird movie special effects could have done better.

Half gallon cardboard milk jugs, large caliber suppressed handgun loaded with hollow points and your well into some buzzard buzz kill. They have returned before end of day if not immediately from cherry bombs but think the hydrostatic force bullet set up on water jugs and spray of something sudden got their attention. Maybe I should patent the idea.

Wait, what's that? Do I hear water running, suppressors getting threaded on and slides racking from afar?
Old July 19, 2017, 10:31   #13
AFeod
Registered
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Had my monthly nerve block yesterday which meant staying at home today. In the anesthesia mix fog of Fentanyl and Propofol had a genius idea. Being retarded forces my best ideas to come when not sitting on my brain. While laying face down on surgical table and anesthesiologist was swapping from Zofran to Fentanyl then Propofol my brain fired one of my last remaining synapses. We go through a half gallon of Almond Milk every day, wife is lactose intolerant and I discovered like vanilla almond milk better than the real deal on my shredded wheat plus it keeps for months unrefridgerated. Went to our recycle bin before sunrise this morning and filled five jugs with water and left lids off. Set them at even intervals on deck rail, opened a kitchen window and removed screen then slid back almost closed. Screwed suppressor on my SIG 1911 Tacops and loaded it with a magazine of PMC Starfire. For some reason around breakfast time is when they begin to gather on deck railings and they were intrigued with the almond milk cartons trying to stick their beaks in the little spouts when I entered kitchen to refill coffee cup. Picked up the big SIG Tacops TB, lined up one of the half gallon jugs with a buzzard trying to stick his head in spout and busted the jug with a 45 acp 185 grain hollow point.

They didn't even have instinct to un @$$ the A.O. immediately were so panicked and managed to bust two more jugs before all flew away showering them with water and shredded cardboard. In kitchen, full house 45 acp rocking away and the big titanium Hybrid suppressor does such a good job it didn't even wake the wife but the buzzards have not returned today. Replaced the jugs blew up and have a SIG 9mm with Osprey suppressor that wife likes loaded with the pink box high velocity, low recoil Hornady Critical Defense ammo next to 45. Told wife whenever she sees the buzzards bust whichever jug is closest to one and if able to bust more before they leave to do her best not to get excited and shoot out one of my high efficiency double paned windows. No way will the 45 Starfire or low recoil 9mm Critical Defense carry enough mass or energy after hitting a half gallon jug of water to be of any danger. No way to miss from under 20 feet either, just center the jug and bust crap out of it.

My only mistake was not having the video cameras on porch. Have cameras on idle now and if they come back just have to tap record button on phone or tablet interface as picking up a pistol. Tomorrow hope they have chilled enough to return as will have cameras, removed all screens from kitchen windows and total of seven jugs. Plan is to wake wife tomorrow or gather her up if return this evening and one start on left, other on right and race to midle jug. Makes it a tactical pistol exercise in team engagement for both of us and scares the absolute crap out of the buzzards. I might have to start taking drugs again so able to come up with more ingenious ideas. Am so pissed didn't have my new action cams rolling as may have been the funniest thing have seen in a decade. First buzzard was fully concentrated on trying to get in jug when it blew up suprised it didn't have a heart attack. Was so stunned he was last of flock to fly off, others were flapping and starting to move or fly as busted second two jugs. Don't think Hollyweird movie special effects could have done better.

Half gallon cardboard milk jugs, large caliber suppressed handgun loaded with hollow points and your well into some buzzard buzz kill. They have returned before end of day if not immediately from cherry bombs but think the hydrostatic force bullet set up on water jugs and spray of something sudden got their attention. Maybe I should patent the idea.

Wait, what's that? Do I hear water running, suppressors getting threaded on and slides racking from afar?
awesome!
Old July 19, 2017, 17:20   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Today not a single buzzard has appeared on our deck, porch or even inside the fence line. I may have caused some mental anguish and trauma. Fist day in weeks wife did not have to complain about them looking in the kitchen windows at her. My seven half gallon milk jugs are still in place and kind of hope they visit one more time so able to video the event though removed cams for evening now. Will put back out abut 5:00 am and leave to go to work, don't want wife trying to deal with camera controls and a suppressed SIG from inside kitchen without help. The big 45 does a better job on milk jugs than the reduced recoil 9mm does anyway. Think seems to be a good solution as 36 hours without a flock of buzzards is a record period of time over recent months.
Old July 21, 2017, 17:07   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Over 72 hours wife nor I have seen a buzzard on our property. None on front porch, rear deck, pecking in gutters or even tree line at edge of property. Next door neighbor called wife to say his buzzard issue has been significant past few days and if we had noticed a difference in buzzard population. Their house is unoccupied and been that way since mother died but they maintain it well and between the two brothers stop and check m on it daily with us watching. They even continue to maintain a vegetable gargen as parents did and keep the place nicer than our yard. I have carte blanche to waste any varmints on their property. He asked if I could try the jug trick on his porch.

Issue is its under 75 yards, need to create enough energy to set up enough hydrostatic force to blow up a half gallon milk carton but not shoot through. Have been in reloading room digging through old research and modern ammo. If miss potentially have a 308 round zipping through neighborhood. If hit and bullet doesn't come apart fast same problem. Have a box of the LeHigh 79 grain High Velocity Close Quarters Combat frangible's, LeHigh 145 grain Controlled Chaos Frangible, and two sub caliber sabot loads. High velocity sabot loads can be very inaccurate but have two worked up to try at my test range in a 1:13 twist 308 bolt gun built for shooting lightweight varmint bullets. Have some 40 grain tipped and some 79 grain cast from BHN 8 to BHN 10 lead pot as leading is no issue in sabots. Tomorrow have to test the different loads for ~68 yard accuracy, ability to cause extreme hydrostatic shock and explosion of jug and no carry through of projectile past target to be of consequence. Have a safe area with ability to simulate exact shot with five feet of rise in 68 yards. Going to put a sheet of 1/4" plywood about 10 feet behind jugs and blaze away. If the sabot rounds knuckle ball on me and miss the jugs even once they are out of contention. If the Controlled Chaos carry through plywood then no good. Maybe the 79 grain High Velocity frangible's that win out for task but also plan on swinging by LGS and getting some Engel Ballistic Research and ICC 125 grain High Velocity plus sweep a few other vendors for specialty 308 ammo. Another excuse to play with goofy bullets is always a good thing. Glad I scored a good deal on pile of the LeHigh ammo last week.
Old July 22, 2017, 09:53   #16
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
He asked if I could try the jug trick on his porch.

The issue is where they would relocate to... back to your place is a possibility.

When I lived in a subdivision, my neighbor and I traded ant mounds back and forth - we'd do whatever we did to kill/move/whatever them (I was a fan of boiling water and borax - would move a mound 20 feet....) until they were out of our own yard.

There was great celebration when a mount went from my yard, to his yard, and instead of back to my yard over further to the empty half lot on the corner... now those ants were NOBODYS problem, and we were all happy.

Just for giggles put a jug or two on their porch - maybe the buzzards will recognize and leave without needing to do the physics demo....
Old July 22, 2017, 10:59   #17
Trypcil
Deep Thunkerer!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Huey' it seems you are never bored - kudos to you!
Old July 22, 2017, 17:07   #18
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
TRYPCIL, He is always Bored, and stay's busy.

There was a Buzzard tree on our lower property till an ahole cut it down, was not his Tree, anyway it was a buzzard tree for over 30 years they would populate it spring and summer, raised them Baby Buzzies and taught them to fly from the tree, never were a pest to Anything or one.

Sounds like you are doing just the right thing with those bird brains, they will take a warning, the young birds especially, look close at them , you may find that most are young birds. So, you may have several Buzzard tree's at your place.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 17:50   #19
Trypcil
Deep Thunkerer!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Hah! Laughed my Titsoff!
Old July 22, 2017, 23:34   #20
Bama Steve
Registered

FALaholic #: 1982
Regular updates requested, Huey.

Hope you don't drive the neighbors birds back to your place . . .

Old July 24, 2017, 21:17   #21
armarsh
Registered

FALaholic #: 27915
Quote:

Since shooting at migratory birds is the same as shooting them, you could just as well SSS. The cat might be out of the bag on the last S, however.

I've met several Federal game wardens while hunting Corp of Engineers land. I've found them to be polite, professional and concise. I've never met one with a sense of humor, however. YMMV.
For the seeds that we let grow? - Neil Peart
armarsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017, 07:47   #22
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by armarsh View Post
Since shooting at migratory birds is the same as shooting them, you could just as well SSS. The cat might be out of the bag on the last S, however.

I've met several Federal game wardens while hunting Corp of Engineers land. I've found them to be polite, professional and concise. I've never met one with a sense of humor, however. YMMV.
Buzzards aren't exactly migratory (like duck, dove, etc). They are however raptors and protected just like hawks, owls, eagles, etc.
Old July 26, 2017, 20:46   #23
armarsh
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnogger View Post
Buzzards aren't exactly migratory (like duck, dove, etc). They are however raptors and protected just like hawks, owls, eagles, etc.
Both Turkey and Black vultures are part of the migratory bird act. You aren't thinking that the title of the law has anything to do with it, right?

Check out the list. It's not small.
https://www.fws.gov/birds/management...ed-species.php

I understand they are raptors and are protected by other laws as well. It's just that the folks that are already enforcing the migratory bird act are the ones that a person shooting at vultures are likely to encounter.
Old July 27, 2017, 12:03   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnogger View Post
The issue is where they would relocate to... back to your place is a possibility.

When I lived in a subdivision, my neighbor and I traded ant mounds back and forth - we'd do whatever we did to kill/move/whatever them (I was a fan of boiling water and borax - would move a mound 20 feet....) until they were out of our own yard.

There was great celebration when a mount went from my yard, to his yard, and instead of back to my yard over further to the empty half lot on the corner... now those ants were NOBODYS problem, and we were all happy. Just for giggles put a jug or two on their porch - maybe the buzzards will recognize and leave without needing to do the physics demo....
Same issue with ants. Wife is super allergic to bug bites so every year in early summer use a spreader to put three different kinds of ant bait on entire yard. Make sure spreader flings bait 20 feet across property line into neighbors. Both sides have ant hills to alost my fence line then they dissapear. Learned spot treating just makes them move. Buy my bait every fall when goes on sale as is expensive. One year forgot, spring came and was too cheap to buy $400 worth of bait to treat my three ant types. Was a miserable summer spot treating as they crossed fence line. This year we are having first indoor ant problem due to super mild wimter. Have three types of bait stations in house and after two months finally have them beat back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL FAL View Post
There was a Buzzard tree on our lower property till an ahole cut it down, was not his Tree, anyway it was a buzzard tree for over 30 years they would populate it spring and summer, raised them Baby Buzzies and taught them to fly from the tree, never were a pest to Anything or one.

Sounds like you are doing just the right thing with those bird brains, they will take a warning, the young birds especially, look close at them , you may find that most are young birds. So, you may have several Buzzard tree's at your place.
I like having buzzards close and yes, we have had "buzzard trees" close past two decades. I want to keep them close but not too close. Goal is to increase stand off distance to where it's been past 25 years and leave them alone. They save me a lot of effort picking up dead stuff snipe at a distance. The trees they have occupied past 25 years can see from house but three property lines away in wooded area. Just have to convince them to go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armarsh View Post

I called head of local game and fish office and explained issue along with solution. I am not shooting at the buzzards. Am shooting at milk jugs. Since they have become a nuisance the rules change just like with crow and deer except can't purposely kill or injure a buzzard. What I am doing he says is no different than bird bombs, besides never seen game and fish on my deck. If I did would be because they were invited over for cook out. Teaching hunter safety has helped me meet many of the local gang.

Day before yesterday returned to deck first time in over a week. Wife didn't shoot one of the jugs but said minute she started to open window they bolted. Before she could open door to chase them off and they would attack her. She had the suppressed SIG and said they didn't wait. Did have to shoot another squirrel off side of house yesterday and finally noticed where they have chewed hole to gain access. Worse place could be, 24 feet off ground, uneven and bad landing. Patched hole with metal and they were pissed. This morning shot two squirrel trying to chew new hole and a third escaped. I am not letting wildlife, humans, aliens or zombies have access to my home. They stay out of house and off deck/porch. No crapping on trucks or roosting on ridge cap of roof. Stay in woods and come eat anything I shoot then leave. It's worked over 20 years so just have to define the rules to new crop of them.

Have written email saying can shoot squirrel damaging house from game and fish. Neighbor has permit for us to shoot crow and deer eating his crops though not shooting deer due to logistics of burying but have a couple steel plates in garden I ring and they bolt. In an agricultural community if wildlife is damaging crops or if damaging house based on species can get permission or permit to kill. I follow letter of law and why didn't start killing them immediately. We need them in ecosystem but not crapping on deck and staring in windows at wife. Have figured out that the LeHigh 145 grain Controlled Chaos Frangible blow up milk jugs like a bomb and there is no damage to 1/4" plywood ten feet on other side. Neighbor has three milk jugs placed where if we're to miss from my shooting rest the loose bullet will go to safe backstop. Not caught them there and looking forward to catching buzzards in back deck so can zap another jug. No buzzards will be harmed. My guess is if first event kept them away over a week then they have ability to learn. Another jug or two exploding on them and am highly hopefull they will leave. Game Warden said if aggressive in persuasion they usually leave for good.
Old July 27, 2017, 14:54   #25
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Paint Ball gun, mark them to see who shows back up?

Paint balls might be the ticket to help "adjust" their behavior? Just an Idea of something you can try? Maybe feeding them in ANY form is Not a good thing?

So make the pest meals you are giving them at random Stop? or put dead pests far away from your home? in a special dinner spot for them, once they Know they will get harassed around your home and Fed at another location, might help? Good luck.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 20:05   #26
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL FAL View Post
Paint balls might be the ticket to help "adjust" their behavior? Just an Idea of something you can try? Maybe feeding them in ANY form is Not a good thing?

So make the pest meals you are giving them at random Stop? or put dead pests far away from your home? in a special dinner spot for them, once they Know they will get harassed around your home and Fed at another location, might help? Good luck.
I used paintballs on the neighbors dog, Both as a training aid and as evidence the bastige was in my yard. She saw me shoot the big dumbass once and called the sheriff... The Deputy that showed up laughed his ass off and told her she was lucky I hadn't used a real gun. He also told her "keep the troublemaker at home or it can be shot with a real gun" No more dog problem.

Four out of the five voices in my head say "Go for it"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017, 20:39   #27
armarsh
Registered

Quote:
Same issue with ants. Wife is super allergic to bug bites so every year in early summer use a spreader to put three different kinds of ant bait on entire yard. Make sure spreader flings bait 20 feet across property line into neighbors. Both sides have ant hills to alost my fence line then they dissapear. Learned spot treating just makes them move. Buy my bait every fall when goes on sale as is expensive. One year forgot, spring came and was too cheap to buy $400 worth of bait to treat my three ant types. Was a miserable summer spot treating as they crossed fence line. This year we are having first indoor ant problem due to super mild wimter. Have three types of bait stations in house and after two months finally have them beat back.

I like having buzzards close and yes, we have had "buzzard trees" close past two decades. I want to keep them close but not too close. Goal is to increase stand off distance to where it's been past 25 years and leave them alone. They save me a lot of effort picking up dead stuff snipe at a distance. The trees they have occupied past 25 years can see from house but three property lines away in wooded area. Just have to convince them to go home.

I called head of local game and fish office and explained issue along with solution. I am not shooting at the buzzards. Am shooting at milk jugs. Since they have become a nuisance the rules change just like with crow and deer except can't purposely kill or injure a buzzard. What I am doing he says is no different than bird bombs, besides never seen game and fish on my deck. If I did would be because they were invited over for cook out. Teaching hunter safety has helped me meet many of the local gang.

Day before yesterday returned to deck first time in over a week. Wife didn't shoot one of the jugs but said minute she started to open window they bolted. Before she could open door to chase them off and they would attack her. She had the suppressed SIG and said they didn't wait. Did have to shoot another squirrel off side of house yesterday and finally noticed where they have chewed hole to gain access. Worse place could be, 24 feet off ground, uneven and bad landing. Patched hole with metal and they were pissed. This morning shot two squirrel trying to chew new hole and a third escaped. I am not letting wildlife, humans, aliens or zombies have access to my home. They stay out of house and off deck/porch. No crapping on trucks or roosting on ridge cap of roof. Stay in woods and come eat anything I shoot then leave. It's worked over 20 years so just have to define the rules to new crop of them.

Have written email saying can shoot squirrel damaging house from game and fish. Neighbor has permit for us to shoot crow and deer eating his crops though not shooting deer due to logistics of burying but have a couple steel plates in garden I ring and they bolt. In an agricultural community if wildlife is damaging crops or if damaging house based on species can get permission or permit to kill. I follow letter of law and why didn't start killing them immediately. We need them in ecosystem but not crapping on deck and staring in windows at wife. Have figured out that the LeHigh 145 grain Controlled Chaos Frangible blow up milk jugs like a bomb and there is no damage to 1/4" plywood ten feet on other side. Neighbor has three milk jugs placed where if we're to miss from my shooting rest the loose bullet will go to safe backstop. Not caught them there and looking forward to catching buzzards in back deck so can zap another jug. No buzzards will be harmed. My guess is if first event kept them away over a week then they have ability to learn. Another jug or two exploding on them and am highly hopefull they will leave. Game Warden said if aggressive in persuasion they usually leave for good.
Well, since it is all approved and legal you should post up a video. Should be super easy to get a clip of you in action, based on the above.
Old July 30, 2017, 13:02   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Told specifically cannot legally shoot a buzzard or any raptor with a paintball gun. It is a guaranteed ticket if caught. Have a BIG @$$ box of paint balls that are filled with capsaicin which is the active ingredient in pepper spray. Absolutely sucks to get hit with them as they hurt, leave a big bruise plus your covered with pepper spray and blowing snot and eyes swelled shut. Was going to be my solution but told cant even use an air-soft gun legally. Bird bombs and select fireworks (up to discretion of game and fish officer if caught on which fireworks) can be used.

When came up with the idea of "spraying them with water" he said that was fine but didn't tell method till later. Guy at Game and Fish is a friend and got a chuckle. Tuesday will be two weeks I have not seen a buzzard back on the property. Wife said they have returned once and soon as she began to open window they bolted. If come back will do my best to get video running. Was putting my "GoPro" clones out for a few days but can't leave on deck 24/7 as need for other purposes. If they begin returning will do my best to get cameras positioned before next episode.

I went Kujo on cleaning gutters, valleys of roof and deck super well. That may be as good of a deterrent as anything. Making sure if kill squirrel or other varmints inside fence line to throw over the fence as well now. Eliminating what attracts them from actually landing on structure is highly recommended when did my research. I want to keep them in the neighborhood but just off the house and all will be fine. With wife after them think they won't linger too close for long as now they have both of us on their case. The upside is wife decided to take a few practice shots with the suppressed SIG using the Hornady Critical Defense low recoil high velocity loads and she is 100% on hitting the jugs from inside kitchen and is liking the suppressed 9mm. Had to tel her how much that ammo costs as she was getting happy with the over buck a round stuff and now keep her a few magazines of cast for pinking if the mood strikes.
Old September 20, 2017, 07:28   #29
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

About five weeks of blasting milk jugs and now we are about two months without a buzzard in the yard. Wife took to it though she preferred using 37 grain varmint grenades in a 5.56 suppressed AR shooting from inside house. Pistol with long suppressor on it big enough to set up hydrostatic shock violently in a milk jug is not as easy for her to handle as an SBR wit out risking a miss on half gallon cardboard jug. Took about eight total milk jug blasting events and buzzards stay two doors down in tree line have stayed past 25 years. No buzzards harmed, house now left alone and don't have to fix breakfast or lunch withe them sitting on deck rails and furniture staring in at us and crapping all over the place. Staying double time keeping gutters clean has kept them off front of house but the exploding jugs especially if one is just a couple feet away they flip totally out and jump of rail before remember to flap wings. Bottom line is we found a way to rid ourselves from them without disturbing neighbors. Suppressed big pistol or rifle was enough noise and the exploding jugs of water were absolutely terrifying to them. Now the milk jugs fall apart from weather if put out and don't see any buzzards. Know why they use bird bombs at airports. Great not having to resort to covering entire house in bird spikes.
Old September 20, 2017, 21:05   #30
AFeod
Registered
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Strong work!
Old September 20, 2017, 21:30   #31
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Huey, I now pronounce you "buzzard discourager par excellence". You've earned another FAL Files merit badge for that!

Old September 21, 2017, 05:39   #32
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I like the things, like the feral cats around the house and work. We have agreements. Cats don't try to become pets or pests, buzzards stay off the house and I will leave all the squirrel, ground hogs and coyote for them to feed on. Most I try to shoot ad edge of fence line except if squirrel are chewing on house, raiding pecan trees to their favorite is the fig trees. Every morning when turn in work and unlock gates cats will scatter in every direction. During day if snipe a squirrel just walk back in and less than an hour it's magically gone. (Four pecan trees at work as well) Otherwise do not see a single cat all day. Lock gates and if get a mile down road and have to turn around because forgot something when open gates cats scatter. They have learned gates open be scarce, gates closed take over every covered area. If they have kittens I ignore them till old enough to follow the open gate and disappear rule. We have two regular feral cats at the house. We had continuous mice issues to fight until cats learned we would feed them dead varmints but not put out food. That means is nothing killed by me they have to chas mice to eat.

I can get along with scavengers, just want some basic rules. No cats walking on hoods of truck or in the trash can. No buzzards in deck or front porch. Learned that keeping gutters super clean is a big help as longer let leaves accumulate, the more bugs take up residence and buzzards like to stand on edge of gutters and pick them out. So rather than bird spikes, clean the stupid gutters every month. When squirrel invade attic patch hole with metal. At house have eaves across front and sides skinned with 0.40" aluminum now but back of house is over 22 feet to eve's and can't get the bucket truck behind house so for now is shoot them off and patch holes. There are half a dozen local wild animal control companies around that specialize in squirrel, ground hogs, raccoon, opossum, coyote, etc. They charge big money to squirrel proof a house. They do things like keep out traps, cap chimney in spring and remove cap in fall so have to keep them coming regular. I am more of a hillbilly and just want varmints to behave. If out of my sight and yard, welcome to do whatever they want. Destroy property and will figure out a legal way to cull them or discourage.

Our biggest problem is deer and we have a permit to shoot if eating crops or decorative landscape vegetation on next door neighbor and my property. Only issue is it takes deer and coyote weeks to get them picked clean if leave laying and burying with backhoe has its own problems. Bow season is open and have three people hunting from mine and neighbors deck. Come gun season will have five or six plus neighbor on other side shoots every deer he sees in season. We have to get them in check. Living right on the edge of city limits where no hunting/shooting is allowed and agricultural community with horse farms/gentleman estates, cattle farms and lots of corn fields. Thus the wildlife has adapted to just 3/4 of a mile down road can do whatever want and can't be shot but they are not able to read the city limit sign and stay in city. City is considering several options due to complaints from the insurance community about deer strikes with cars and little old ladies whining about coyote eating their yip dogs and pet cats. One story ran local where lady was walking her dogs in affluent community and were attacked by coyote on sidewalk in groomed lawn area and one was killed and pulled from her grasp on leash, other had to be put down due to extensive injuries. Whenever discussed, the peace freak wanna be hippies show up and protest all ideas except live trap and release in the wild. Just what the more rural areas need, all our coyote turned loose in around their farms and homes.

Know I could make a fair living killing coyote around chicken farms as it's not uncommon for a broiler house to loose over $1,000 in chickens in one night if get in a big chicken house. Just have real work and enough friends that let me shoot all the coyote want too. Know my first shot long range skills are getting better from all the coyote ground hogs. Shame so few people hunt now and shooting skills have degraded to where next door neighbor says has shot "at" over 100 ground hogs and never hit one. When I squeeze the trigger they explode but at the ground hog station at side patio keep a suppressed 10/22 with 60 grain Aguila Sniper Subsonics, suppressed 223 loaded with 40 grain tipped bullets and a 22 Hornet with Varmint Grenades. When moved in here 25 years ago never saw coyote and seldom any ground hog and deer were scarce.
Old September 25, 2017, 19:01   #33
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Couple weeks ago risked life and limb to path hole in eve back of the house. Had the front and ends wrapped in metal so like metal roof, lifetime of no maintenance but crew wanted more to do the run across back of house than front including porch and both sides. They did 3/4 of total footage but said the way yard slopes and almost three story drop were not equipped and would only do if we paid a scaffolding crew. Figured would rig a rope belay off hitch on truck and do myself from over the edge but not done it for myriad of reasons, mainly my back. Went out on back deck when got home to pick up brass, wife said too nice of a day so took a rifle out on the deck and sent 100 commie bullets into traps but left brass for me.

As policing up the brass looked down the eve's and three new holes. Pecan trees are peaking and they are doing as always, chewing holes in house and hiding them for winter. Wife scolded me a little recently for shooting two off the side of the house which scattered blood on trim work. Marched her outside and showed her where corner of metal patch was partially dislodged but when they could not get it off they chewed three new holes. Have a shoot all tree rats no matter location, time or circumstances as have had them in house twice before and she did not like it. At work they managed to set of burglar alarm a few weeks ago as I fight them trying to store pecans there. I know no matter how many I shoot, as long as we have pecan trees and this winter there are pecans in attic it's going to be a problem so tomorrow going to shear and break some 0.40" aluminum to skin the front of rear eve then while fall protection is set up go ahead and put the new gutters up as tore off old due to water over shooting them since metal roof added. Not sure I want wife shooting squirrel off house and out of trees as if miss then have bullets not travelling toward a backstop. Told her any can engage on ground from deck is o.k. as a miss will just drive bullet in ground. Have to be so careful at work even using subsonic have not missed a shot in years. Verify my squirrel rifles on paper every week and they put bullet where supposed to.

Buzzards, squirrel, ground hogs, deer and coyote. All in droves these days and always been aggressive but now going to make it a mission. Have a local deer cooler that works with food bank and will take deer during season and plan to hunt first season in decades. Neighbor said would help with them, both shooting and dressing then once his freezer is full rest will go the the wild game food bank. Already decided most likely use a 6.8 with 90 grain Gold Dots and when see them murder everyone possible. Had a hunter tell me recently that saw coyote take one down but unsure if it was already wounded but came limping over a ridge with a half dozen coyote all over it till dropped. He had his AR in 300 BO with suppressor for feral hogs, yep, hogs are moving in too so he waxed four of the yote before the others ran off deciding not worth dying over but was sure they would be back with buddies soon as it got dark to finish their meal. Live less than a mile from city limit where they have a free pass and the city is going to have to look at a rule change if want problem to get under control. It's great if enjoy killing which I do but sucks trying to protect property.
Old September 26, 2017, 13:48   #34
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
absolutely unreadable rambling.
reminds me of my dad's mother's writing, she was born in '98 and never got past 4th grade.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 13:55   #35
hagar
Registered

You should see what his car looks like..
Old September 26, 2017, 14:11   #36
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
You should see what his car looks like..
I thought it was his truck?
We can be more forgiving, if a truck...

A clean truck is the sign of a sick mind!

123724w.jpg

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...

=------} Just a battleship mouth and a rowboat ass...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 14:27   #37
hagar
Registered

Truck I meant. Lets leave it at that, I have a photo of it, and it looks suspiciously a lot like the photo you just shared, only worse.

But I am not in the habit of insulting or degrading members of the Files. It is real tempting though ..
Old September 26, 2017, 16:13   #38
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

It is a 25 year old work truck and looks like it's been worked for 25 years. Why would I want to abuse my nice truck and sold my last car years ago. If don't like a ramble about varmints, put my posts on ignore and if people will "trim" quotes won't have to see it two or three times.