The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old November 28, 2016, 23:51   #1
Dazed and Confused
Registered

FALaholic #: 68257
Just picked up a Ruger MkII. Nice!

I've shot these before but never owned one... but now I do! Forgot how heavy they were.

Came with a leather holster, spare mag and mag loader.

Not bad for $220! That also includes a Rossi .410 stainless single shot shotgun and 5 boxes of .410 shells and 1 box of slugs!

Aren't relatives great?! The MkII is an early Christmas present to myself, the shotgun is for the wife... She's been wanting a .410 for some time.

Woo Hoo!

Last edited by Dazed and Confused; November 28, 2016 at 23:57.
Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 19:54   #2
a-kmanator
Registered

FALaholic #: 36117
Great deal! Congrats..I handled one years ago but never owned one.
a-kmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 20:07   #3
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Have you taken one apart before ? uh

You will get the hang of it though

Great guns though and good shooters .. I am eying the new MK4 myself as I want easy take down as I am that way

and for the price great job !

Old model Rossi yes none of the cheep Taurus stuff with the lock on it
pre1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 20:35   #4
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Great guns, I own three myself.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 21:44   #5
Dazed and Confused
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
Have you taken one apart before ? uh

You will get the hang of it though
That I do remember.... Just a slight pain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
Old model Rossi yes none of the cheep Taurus stuff with the lock on it
Uh... it's a newer model with the key. Will probably toss the key other wise the wife will lock it and loose the key.

Seems to go bang every time I pull the trigger so... As long as it makes the wife happy that's all that matters.

The relative I bought it from told me if I wanted the Rossi I had to buy another gun, the MKII. I couldn't turn it down when he told me the price $210. I actually gave him $10 more because I didn't have change for a $20 and it was just a good deal all way around.

Last edited by Dazed and Confused; November 29, 2016 at 21:55.
Old November 29, 2016, 22:26   #6
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
That I do remember.... Just a slight pain...

Uh... it's a newer model with the key. Will probably toss the key other wise the wife will lock it and loose the key.

Seems to go bang every time I pull the trigger so... As long as it makes the wife happy that's all that matters.

The relative I bought it from told me if I wanted the Rossi I had to buy another gun, the MKII. I couldn't turn it down when he told me the price $210. I actually gave him $10 more because I didn't have change for a $20 and it was just a good deal all way around.
Not a big deal I would keep the key ..I only ask as my Dealer had a Taurus or Rossi 410 for like 100 bucks or something ..The safty and key on it made me look to HR but for a cheep snake gun I think you will be happy ...

Unlike s&w the locks have less of a issue with going bad

Still good deal man you will like the set up I think a great around the woods the 410 and the 22lr imop
pre1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 23:14   #7
woodstock31
Registered

FALaholic #: 67795
Very good deal! I have enjoyed every one of these handguns I have owned. Any idea on the make of that leather holster? I have been looking for one just like that one.
woodstock31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 23:32   #8
Dazed and Confused
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock31 View Post
Any idea on the make of that leather holster? I have been looking for one just like that one.

The holster was actually made for a .22 revolver, it has "Hunter" stamped on the back and embossed on snaps. It looks just like the one I had for an H&R 999 Sportsman back 30 years ago. The relative I got the MKII from had to cut out a clearance for the rear sight but he did a good job re-staining the leather to match. It fit's the MkII like it was made for it.

The SN prefix is 215 so that puts it in the 1990 production run. He said it was the first gun he ever bought and he hasn't shot it much. Funny, we're the same age and I bought my first gun 11 years before.

Last edited by Dazed and Confused; November 29, 2016 at 23:41.
Old November 29, 2016, 23:39   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock31 View Post
Very good deal! I have enjoyed every one of these handguns I have owned. Any idea on the make of that leather holster? I have been looking for one just like that one.
Similar holsters available for the Ruger and numerous other handguns:
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/039.html
and
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/754.html

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 23:56   #10
Dazed and Confused
Registered

Those are nice holsters Gary. I like the first one with the mag pouch.

One nice thing about mine is the second snap is attached to the belt loop and there's another snap on back. Break those two loose and you can slide the belt loop between your belt and pants. This way you don't have to unbuckle your belt and accidently drop yer drawers trying to get the holster on.

Old November 30, 2016, 22:56   #11
AZ Dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7882
My first pistol was one like that one except it was a Mk I. It was in pieces in a cigar box. Traded an old revelation single shot 22 rifle for it And a brick of 22 ammo. I was 15 at the time and had it reassembled in a half hour! So easy even a 15 yr old can do it!
Old November 30, 2016, 23:51   #12
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Mk1 Bull barrel military, old, dirty, and sure fire!

There is a video on youtube about putting it back together, worth a good long look.
Old December 01, 2016, 19:10   #13
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Mk1 Bull barrel military, old, dirty, and sure fire!

There is a video on youtube about putting it back together, worth a good long look.
That PITA reassembly will really teach you to hold your mouth just right let me tell ya...

Otherwise it's truly a fantastic gun. I've taken squirrels, rabbits, a few snakes and other varmints with mine. It's a HB target model with, I bet, a good 10k rounds through it and it JUST KEEPS GOING... Still able to pop bulls at 25 yds at will with it.

I was nice to see Ruger listen though... with the Mk 3 they went to a traditional "American" style mag release, then with the new Mk 4 now the takedown is supposed to be a cinch. I might own one someday, but as long as this one goes on it's all I need.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2016, 04:23   #14
sharkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 77489
Ive got an old blued one with a Houston AWC suppressor on it. Its one of my true favorites. Its harvested hundreds of groundhogs and racoons.
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2016, 07:15   #15
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
I picked up a bull bbl years ago, offhand it's probably the only .22 auto pistol Ive got or had... It's an early model, possibly made before they were "Mark-? anything".. Have to do some serious digging to produce it and check that out...
It's clunky and there have been a few times been tempted to turn down the barrel thickness, but have been advised that it would be better to sell it as is and pick up something else like a Buckmark or such like.
It pops away about any .22LR Ive fed it, which is sayin something. My .22ing has been limited to revolvers these last years so it resides safely put away...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017, 16:48   #16
partisan50
Registered

FALaholic #: 1222
The MKII was the best model yet. MKIIIs have issues and the MKIV should take care of the take down issue.

I have a MKII stainless bull barrel and never take it apart. The gunsmith took it apart once to thread the barrel and move the front site back for suppressed use.

I just remove the grips, lock the bolt back. Flush the insides with brake clean, blow out with compressed air and oil.

I was going to buy a MKIV but went with a S&W Victory with threaded barrel. I like the idea of one screw take down for cleaning. Remove another screw and the barrel comes out. After market barrels too.
partisan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2017, 07:34   #17
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
firing pin spring is the same as a BIC ball point pen spring.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017, 18:20   #18
JSnover
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 78500
I just got one of those, dirt cheap!
The previous owner removed the grips and lost the screws.
Old January 21, 2017, 18:44   #19
lostmybearing
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62976
I have a Mk1 that was the first gun that I ever bought. I paid $40.00 for it in 1983 or so. I'm still friends with the guy I bought it from. It's a great little pistol . I just got it out to look at it.
Old January 21, 2017, 18:53   #20
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
I grew up with MKI and MKII Ruger .22's. Dad and I have owned probably 20 of them over the years. Love these little pistols!

Want to make yours lighter? Put a Tactical Solutions upper on it. I put a Volquartsen match trigger and guts in it years ago, and with it, and this deadly accurate TacSol upper, it's a very boring pistol to shoot. And it is threaded for a suppressor.
I still need to drill and tap a hole in the front of the frame to put in a trigger take-up screw, but I've been meaning to do that for years but it shoots good now so why mess with it? LOL

It's fricking deadly accurate!!

idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2017, 05:25   #21
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
May as well tell my story...

I first got an late 50's Standard model which was a bit worn, so the mag got a redo and a spare new mag and after 1-5 Bricks of shells a weekend, the round count finally took its toll, I cleaned it up real nice and gave it to my Grandfather who loved it as it was still a dependable shooter but accuracy suffered over 25 yds.
Then bought new an Silver Anniversary MKI semi bull 6 7/8" been happy ever since, all stock and sweet as they come.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 14:19   #22
bhound
Registered

FALaholic #: 51347
Go to TANDEMKROSS,They got bunch of accessories for them,also bought a COWs holster for my mark 1 bullbarrel with scope!
bhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 15:18   #23
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
You might want to watch this video. Seems very helpful to me.
eta-oopps, these tips here are for a Mk III. I just saw that yours is a Mk II. I don't know if they disassemble the same?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nDefvB1Io
Old July 12, 2017, 02:22   #24
ALL FAL
Registered

I should do a video on standard and MKI-II takedown.

Once I show someone the "Trick" to the re-assembly it is Very easy to do and only takes a few seconds ..
Old July 12, 2017, 06:03   #25
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
What's the best / easiest way to lighten and crispen the trigger on a Mark II?

I admit to being spoiled by a S&W Model 41 and Colt National Match w/ Conversion Unit.

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 15:35   #26
ALL FAL
Registered

The Usual ways TenTea.

I prefer getting the Arkansas stones out and polish them up, works dandy for most folks.
Then, all the after mkt triggers can be had. I've never shot a decked out with every option Ruger, but I bet they are awesome.
Old July 12, 2017, 17:10   #27
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
What's the best / easiest way to lighten and crispen the trigger on a Mark II?

I admit to being spoiled by a S&W Model 41 and Colt National Match w/ Conversion Unit.
The easiest way might be to substitute Volquartsen parts.

But cheaper....the original sear and hammer can be made pretty good. A substitute sear spring helps a lot. Actually I think its the key component; the rest is polishing/buffing.

It also helps to limit the overtravel and take-up. Ruger 'target' triggers had a set screw (concealed up near the pivot) to limit the overtravel.
Old July 12, 2017, 17:20   #28
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
I have an old Standard model that I picked up a few years back. They are great little pistols!

Thinking about getting one of these....http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

From what I have heard they make takedown a snap although after you do it a couple times it isn't terribly bad. Have heard it said that the Mk series is the least often cleaned pistol out there.
Old July 13, 2017, 06:39   #29
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
OP, you will enjoy your new pistol, it looks like a nice one and you made a great buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL FAL View Post
I prefer getting the Arkansas stones out and polish them up, works dandy for most folks.
Then, all the after mkt triggers can be had. I've never shot a decked out with every option Ruger, but I bet they are awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
The easiest way might be to substitute Volquartsen parts.

But cheaper....the original sear and hammer can be made pretty good. A substitute sear spring helps a lot. Actually I think its the key component; the rest is polishing/buffing.

It also helps to limit the overtravel and take-up. Ruger 'target' triggers had a set screw (concealed up near the pivot) to limit the overtravel.
I've owned several MKII's through the years and seem to remember all of them had light, crisp triggers.
Recently got the bug for one again and the trigger is not up to target grade snuff.
After some research yesterday, I opted to stone and polish, but also ordered the VQ trigger and sear as backup.
Will shoot for the first time tonight in its used OEM form.
Thanks for the encouragement.

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017, 22:25   #30
ALL FAL
Registered

Cool, let us know how it does.

I'll bet you will like your work.
Old July 17, 2017, 14:25   #31
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Great guns, I own three myself.
Actually, make that four. I just picked up a stainless MKII Competition Target Model at a gun show last week.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote