The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old May 19, 2019, 18:21   #1
Leed709
Registered

FALaholic #: 36213
Polish WZ29 mauser

Yesterday at a local gun show I picked up a Polish WZ 29 mauser sn# 36503Z. No crest or other markings on rifle. All sn# match. Bolt is straight handle. Can anyone tell me when this rile was made. Thanks Lee
Leed709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 21:19   #2
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I believe WZ's were made from 1930 until 1939. I don't think there is a definitive way to tell what year it was based on serialization, but I could be wrong.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 01:48   #3
Leed709
Registered

WZ29

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what the Z behind the sn# means?
Old May 20, 2019, 16:35   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
A little history available on Forgotten Weapons. Apparently the WZ29 is the shortened version of the WZ24m Mauser with updated metalurgy. The original WZ24 was made from Mauser machinery captured in Danzig after WWI. The Polish Gov moved the plant to Radom in/near Warsaw and started producing modern centerfire rifles. The need for shorter rifles was being looked at by all WWI participants because the long rifles were cumbersome in the trenches. The WZ29 was adopted in 1929. Seems the bolts came with two models - straight for the infantry and turned down for the cavalry.

Here is a link to the FW video page.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ria...r-2940-mauser/

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 05:15   #5
stewardlumy
Registered

FALaholic #: 82557

Thanks for your reply can you help me little more????
stewardlumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2019, 00:08   #6
Leed709
Registered

WZ29 Polish mauser

Havn't been able to find a polish safety for this rifle that I'm trying to restore. all the parts match. Bore is dark, but very good rifling. Stock is in very good condition with the sn# on it in 2 places. I have a question for the ones in the know. Will a K98 safety fit? Thanks Leed709
Old May 28, 2019, 00:16   #7
Leed709
Registered

Polish WZ29

Finally got time to take rifle apart for cleaning. Very little surface rust, should clean up nicely. The bore looked like it was dark, but after soaking it for 3 days with S&W bore gel and a dozen passed with a 9mm brush and lots of patches the bore has a nice shine. Stock is sn# to rifle in 2 places. Once stamped on the outside and inside barrel channel with large numbers in black ink. Haven't taken the bolt apart yet. I think I found a safety for it on ebay with a circled z and no sn#. This is my first try at restoring a firearm. Not bad for a $300.00 rifle. I think this will be a keeper.
Old May 28, 2019, 16:09   #8
Leed709
Registered

Need help polish WZ29 bolt problem

Mailman delivered the safety that I got on ebay. Good condition no rust only marking was a small circled Z. Now my problem how to get the bolt apart with no safety installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated Leed709
Old May 28, 2019, 19:03   #9
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
You can use this for a guide.

http://thisoldrifle.com/mauser98gew/...mbly/index.asp

Just remember that the safety hold tension during the disassemble process. If the safety is completely missing (not broken off), you will have a lot of spring tension to fight while removing the bolt sleeve from the bolt body.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2019, 20:15   #10
Leed709
Registered

WZ29 safety

Thanks Tac40 The safety is completely missing. Maybe the reason I got this rifle so cheap. Most mauser that I see at gun shows cost 3 or 4 times as much. This is my first mauser rifle. From reading post on other sites the WZ29 polish mauser is hard to come by. It kind of late, so I'll try outside tomorrow.
Old May 29, 2019, 20:17   #11
Leed709
Registered

WZ29 safety

Bolt disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Safety working fine. Thanks to the info supplied by TAC40.