Notices

Old June 18, 2017, 17:07   #51
tdb59
Grey Hair Pict / Enabler
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
............... This is going to have repercussions.
Any bets that the Navy will blame the dead sailors, as they did in the IOWA incident ?

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017, 17:11   #52
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Yeah,that type Destroyer would have a very sophisticated radar system.No doubt about that. But screw-ups do happen. Have a nephew who was on the Greenville when it bonked that Japanese fishing boat. He was sleeping when that happened.
Peace and profound sympathies to those families of those lost 7 crew.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017, 18:38   #53
martin35
Gringo Viejo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
As a exercise I like to invent criminal defense scenario's,,, you never know when you'll need one.
Here's one,,, what if the Cargo vessel was in stealth mode lights off, pingers off, GPS indicators off and newly painted with radar reflecting paint,,, that was not yet dry,,, that sounds like evil intent to me,, and that Navy lawyer from a "Few Good Men" could prove it.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017, 21:15   #54
RG Coburn
Registered

https://www.conspiracyoutpost.com/to...comment-291873

Interesting track of the Crystal.
Old June 19, 2017, 01:33   #55
Enquiring Minds
Registered

FALaholic #: 209
... major fvck-up @ 2AM... there be some friggin' in the riggin' goin' own... shaggin' on the chart table...

... only remains to be determined was it hetero (wimminz on warships, what could go wrong?), or DADT...
Old June 19, 2017, 10:53   #56
JM
Registered

FALaholic #: 46494
Whole thing stinks of an Islamic attack. Why go small potatoes using car or truck to take out civilians. Planes ,trains and cargo ships are a terrorist dream. The U.S. Navy was infiltrated with Islamist years ago from top to bottom. This was a coordinated attack carried out between the container ship crew and some traitorous Navy sailors. Check out the roster of the Navy ship and find out who belongs to the religion of peace. May sound far fetched but the dots connect.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017, 11:36   #57
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
before and after footage. I'm pretty sure our ships run 24/7 cameras these days. It would be dirt cheap to do,and a very logical thing in today's hyper-political environments.
all navy boats in this class carry onboard navigational systems that record movement of nearby craft as tracked by a multiplicity of sensory deveices, including radar and video. automatic collision alarms are state of the art. subs are the same, with even cooler shit. the electronic records should make the investigation of this incident cut and dried. somebody is going the PCF in Yokosuka. too many others have already gone to Davey Jones locker in this case.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017, 13:10   #58
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Looking at the damaged caused by bumping into a container ship, I am a bit concerned what would've happened if this ship had been in a combat situation and gotten hit by anti-ship ordnance. I've always assumed that Navy ships were designed to take a lot of abuse before sustaining substantial damages. However, looking at the damage caused by the container ship and the damage wrought upon the USS Cole by a Zodiak boat full of explosives, I fear it may take less to knock our ships out of working condition than I first thought.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017, 15:23   #59
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
Looking at the damaged caused by bumping into a container ship, I am a bit concerned what would've happened if this ship had been in a combat situation and gotten hit by anti-ship ordnance. I've always assumed that Navy ships were designed to take a lot of abuse before sustaining substantial damages. However, looking at the damage caused by the container ship and the damage wrought upon the USS Cole by a Zodiak boat full of explosives, I fear it may take less to knock our ships out of working condition than I first thought.
There was that destroyer in the Persian Gulf some years ago that got hit by an Iraqi launched Exercet anti-ship missile. It didn't sink, but if it had been required to defend itself further its questionable whether it could have.

As for the COLE, I spent a little bit of time on her. Not as a crewman, but as a quest of the Captain at the time. (they rotate command every 18 months) If you are interested in the COLE attack, the Captain that was in cmd. at the time wrote an account of that incident titled "The Afterburner". Very interesting read.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017, 15:51   #60
bnz42
Registered

FALaholic #: 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post
There was that destroyer in the Persian Gulf some years ago that got hit by an Iraqi launched Exercet anti-ship missile. It didn't sink, but if it had been required to defend itself further its questionable whether it could have.

As for the COLE, I spent a little bit of time on her. Not as a crewman, but as a quest of the Captain at the time. (they rotate command every 18 months) If you are interested in the COLE attack, the Captain that was in cmd. at the time wrote an account of that incident titled "The Afterburner". Very interesting read.
That was the USS Stark, a guided missile frigate. Not nearly as large or capable as the USS Fitzgerald.
bnz42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017, 20:17   #61
RG Coburn
Registered

That the Fitz had to be towed in is embarrassing. They should have brought in in under its own power,by any means possible. Barges are towed. Ships are sailed.
Old June 19, 2017, 20:36   #62
easttex
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
That the Fitz had to be towed in is embarrassing. They should have brought in in under its own power,by any means possible. Barges are towed. Ships are sailed.
Well, they put the USS Cole on a heavy haul ship and shipped it home. Not sure that's much better but it did make for an interesting photo op.

Molon labe
Old June 19, 2017, 20:37   #63
easttex
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydah View Post

I will look that up later, thank you. It's always interesting to get the CO's account.

Molon labe
Old June 19, 2017, 21:55   #64
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
I will raise a glass and shed a tear to the sailors that sacrificed. Fair winds and following seas.

Until Valhalla
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017, 07:25   #65
Exit308
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
I will raise a glass and shed a tear to the sailors that sacrificed. Fair winds and following seas.

Until Valhalla

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017, 23:07   #66
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Greater love hath no man...

Quote:
When the Fitzgerald collided with the merchant ship, 37-year-old Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., "leapt into action," according to The Daily Beast.
The Fitzgerald was struck below the waterline, and Rehm Jr.'s family was told by the Navy that he went under and saved at least 20 sailors, according to WBNS-10TV in Columbus, Ohio.
But when he went back down to get the other six sailors, the ship began to take on too much water, and the hatch was closed, WBNS-10TV said.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 05:52   #67
martin35
Gringo Viejo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
Greater love hath no man...
It sounds like the below the waterline bulbous bow hull protrusion speared the destroyer,,, at least one hero was born of this disaster,,, well done PO 1st Rehm.

Last edited by martin35; June 21, 2017 at 06:00.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote