The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old May 24, 2017, 15:02   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
What dot for a Glock 41 MOS?

Ordered a new Glock 41 MOS this week, should be here next week. I don't have to drop a dot on it right away but the ability to take one is why I bought it. My eyes are not getting any better and I want to (quickly and accurately) shoot more .45. Am leaning toward a Votex, maybe a Viper. Is there any really compelling reason to upgrade to the Venom?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"

Last edited by Timber Wolf; May 24, 2017 at 16:34.
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017, 16:10   #2
red rider
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 485
I just picked up a 40 long slide 10mm MOS and it is sitting here on the table
waiting for a couple cap head bolts to anchor it correctly. Vortex called me and said I should get them this week. I have it installed with the taper head bolts so it is not ready to fire. Mine ( Vortex Venom) came with 3 MOA which should be ok up to fifty yards but the 10mm should be good to a hundred yds. IMHO, we will see how well the 3 MOA works at longer distance.

I plan on taking it out this weekend and run it through a work out. My eyes are still good, only need reading glasses for the fine print,LOL..

My next project will be to install a trigger upgrade, later after 500 rds down the pipe. May or may not need it, I might get used to it the way it is.

I like slab sides and Sigs' so this is my first Glock I have owned, shot many
but never owned..
red rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017, 16:41   #3
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
I put a Trijicon RM02 on his Sig for my dad's 70th birthday and he loves it. He can shoot groups like he's 20 years younger again.

No experience with the Vortex - sorry.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:29   #4
nopec
Registered

FALaholic #: 72693
Take a look at the leupold deltapoint point. It has a nice window and clear glass, very little tint.
nopec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2017, 10:50   #5
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I really like the Burris Fastfire II, I like it more than the lll. If I'm lucky I can find a used Fastfire for about $100 some times under that but they go really fast when they are under $100. I haven't been fast enough on any at that price yet.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 17:38   #6
red rider
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 485
Finally tested the Venom 3moa, I thought it might be to small boy was I wrong.
Perfect for my eyesight, not to large for close up and great for the eighty yard range. Had to get used to having both eyes open for a HG. BTW I can still use the pistol sights thru the glass on the Venom, if it ever was to die.

I am used to dot sights on log guns and the doughnut of death in the Aug but this is my first dot on pistol. Took me five mags before I settle in to any grouping but after that that damn thing is wicked.

Glock 40 six inch barrel, 10mm Sig ammo, 180gr hp, 15rd mags, that is a fighting handgun.

I will keep an eye out for Burris and other dot sights but I got the Venom for two bills shipped NIB and I am happy with it so far. This summer I will run it hard, may even get another 10mm Glock. The daylight fire ball was an average four inches so the shorter barrel has to be quite large.
red rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2017, 18:18   #7
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Second the trijicon
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 07:08   #8
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
I am not opposed to spending money to get what I want, within reason of course, but usually look for a "sweet spot" of value. The Vortex Venom is $230, the Deltapoint $400 and the Trijicon $500. I really like the Trijicon MRO I have on a couple on long guns (carbines) but also have a couple of Vortex dots (Spitfire and SPARC) and like them as well and they are a lot less expensive. Of course I have several Leopold scopes and they are known quantity as well. I will probably end up with the Venom on the 41, may try the 6 MOA dot as I do not have anything that large and want to see how it works.

As an aside, although I have not actually shot the 41 yet I have fingered it quite a bit and am really liking the big (but slim slide) Gen 4 Glock. Unlike my old Gen 2 G20 that feels like a brick in my hand. I think Glock has a winner here with the longer barrel and slim slide, if it shoots as good as it looks and feels I will be a happy camper.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2017, 10:04   #9
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
I've got a couple thousand rounds through my G41 now and still love it. It's good stuff!

I did see a guy with a Vortex dot (he said Viper, but wasn't sure - said he paid $180 for it) on a pistol at a match last weekend and he said he loved it. No idea how many rounds he's put through it though.

On the dot size - another guy tried a 2 MOA dot on his pistol and had all kinds of problems finding it quickly in the varied light and background that are match conditions. "Traditional wisdom" is 6 MOA dot for pistol and 2 MOA dot for shotgun or rifle.
Old June 14, 2017, 19:57   #10
Colorobo
Registered

FALaholic #: 49627
Shield MRS. Cowitnesses with factor sights 4 moa dot.
$386. I like mine look into them. Rob
Colorobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017, 05:22   #11
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yeah,

Went with the Vortex Viper on my 19 MOS. Love it, price was great and lifetime warranty is also great.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 00:28   #12
sirspyair
Registered

FALaholic #: 79874
Location: Santa Cruz CA - Research reference and practical knowledge gathering
Interesting suggestion, Colorobo. I have to check that one.
sirspyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017, 19:29   #13
gunshack
Registered

FALaholic #: 17916
Any flavor of Trijicon! Top quality at a reasonable price.
gunshack is offline   Reply With Quote