The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2016, 20:52   #1
superjc
Registered
 
superjc's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 30508
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 1,047
quick paddle mag release question

Will I be able to remove just the paddle & keep the mag release button functioning? I have a PTR-91 coming in that I'll need to install my Cali-legal "Bullet Button" (mag release button shroud) obviously if there's a paddle
that defeats the purpose of the bullet button. It came in as a barreled receiver (no pistol grip)
Would have gotten the model without the paddle but they were out of stock...
superjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 21:45   #2
pre1989
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76523
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Red rocks AZ
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
Will I be able to remove just the paddle & keep the mag release button functioning? I have a PTR-91 coming in that I'll need to install my Cali-legal "Bullet Button" (mag release button shroud) obviously if there's a paddle
that defeats the purpose of the bullet button. It came in as a barreled receiver (no pistol grip)
Would have gotten the model without the paddle but they were out of stock...
Grip wrape ?
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 22:03   #3
superjc
Registered
 
superjc's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 30508
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 1,047
I have one but since I won't be using any more 20 rounders I'd rather have the classic look & just use the Bullet Button... it'll be a range toy. I'm just wondering if the mechanism will still function without the piece that cams with the paddle. I'll take it apart and see when I get it.
superjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 22:45   #4
pre1989
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76523
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Red rocks AZ
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
I have one but since I won't be using any more 20 rounders I'd rather have the classic look & just use the Bullet Button... it'll be a range toy. I'm just wondering if the mechanism will still function without the piece that cams with the paddle. I'll take it apart and see when I get it.
Got you

You can take off the paddle no issue ..I have seen CA legal HK41 and G3 that had that done to them ..
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 22:57   #5
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor
 
hkshooter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 5391
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 6,393
The mag catch will work fine with the paddle removed, even leaving the contact piece in place. However, the paddle cannot be easily removed. The axle that it rides on is welded in place so your only alternative would be to cut the paddle off. A barbaric proposition. I can understand your need for the mod, however.
__________________
How's your dog, Paden?
hkshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 00:33   #6
superjc
Registered
 
superjc's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 30508
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
The mag catch will work fine with the paddle removed, even leaving the contact piece in place. However, the paddle cannot be easily removed. The axle that it rides on is welded in place so your only alternative would be to cut the paddle off. A barbaric proposition. I can understand your need for the mod, however.
I did think of that and thought the same thing... barbaric! PTR claims to make 100% their own parts now so I wouldn't be sawing a piece of history. I'll get my punch set out and see what I can do...

I'm going for the classic G3 look with this one; no bells & whistles & definitely no kydex grip wrap... I mean I threw all my normal size mags into the ocean already but at least a 10 round mag looks somewhat "normal" ...
superjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 07:43   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
 
gunplumber's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 96
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 22,806
no no no no no. Technically correct but not useful.

The paddle without the contact piece does not engage the push button mag catch.

Replace the contact piece and standard push button, with a semiauto type pushbutton. Use a bullet button that blocks the pushbutton mag catch. The paddle can dangle, disconnected from function.
__________________
T. Mark Graham
Master Gunsmith
Arizona Response Systems, LLC
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 08:31   #8
superjc
Registered
 
superjc's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 30508
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
no no no no no. Technically correct but not useful.

The paddle without the contact piece does not engage the push button mag catch.

Replace the contact piece and standard push button, with a semiauto type pushbutton. Use a bullet button that blocks the pushbutton mag catch. The paddle can dangle, disconnected from function.
Thankyou! Looks like all the individual components are for sale at various places, I'll make it work.
superjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 10:25   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor
 
hkshooter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 5391
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 6,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
no no no no no. Technically correct but not useful.

The paddle without the contact piece does not engage the push button mag catch.

Replace the contact piece and standard push button, with a semiauto type pushbutton. Use a bullet button that blocks the pushbutton mag catch. The paddle can dangle, disconnected from function.
I may have misunderstood, I thought the paddle would be in the way of the BB or shroud or whatever and had to be removed. By all means, if it does not, Mark's advice is golden.
I freely admit, I have no idea how the Cali devices work and are installed and was giving advice based on info I gleaned from the OP's post. My mistake, my apologies.
__________________
How's your dog, Paden?
hkshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 12:14   #10
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
 
gunplumber's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 96
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 22,806
The HK BB (at least the ones I've installed) aren't big shrouds like the AK and FAL, it's a small shroud around the push button so you can't finger-activate it, but need to poke a tool into the hole.

__________________
T. Mark Graham
Master Gunsmith
Arizona Response Systems, LLC
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 19:02   #11
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor
 
hkshooter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 5391
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 6,393
Thanks, Mark. I learned something today.
__________________
How's your dog, Paden?
hkshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 21:06   #12
superjc
Registered
 
superjc's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 30508
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
The HK BB (at least the ones I've installed) aren't big shrouds like the AK and FAL, it's a small shroud around the push button so you can't finger-activate it, but need to poke a tool into the hole.

The news reports that bullet buttons are a "quick magazine changing device"


Soon even bullet-button semi autos will be registered as "assault weapons". I swear I'm going to re-film the Val Kilmer mag chance scene in "HEAT" with a bullet button rifle, splice it into the original film with proper overdubbing and put it on youtube....

I've had the mag release apart on my other gun before so I should be able to do this no problem. Thanks again guys
superjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 21:28   #13
Wehrmacht
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 75823
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 138
Hey OP you are probably to strapped for time with the new Cali laws coming into effect but I have a PTR GI with no paddle mag release that I would trade for that does.
Wehrmacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 08, 2017, 18:55   #14
superjc
Registered
 
superjc's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 30508
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 1,047
Update:

The Raddlock Bullet Button comes with a bushing/contact piece that does NOT have the cam to mate with the paddle mag. Got this thing installed & it's Ca. compliant ready to sight in..... classic black G3 I'm not gonna tinker with this... just need the wide handguard.... trigger job... HK21 cocking handle....


You wouldn't believe the flaming hoops Atlantic Firearms went thru to get me this barreled receiver before the cutoff date!
superjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2015 The FAL Files