The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old December 21, 2016, 20:52   #1
superjc
Registered

FALaholic #: 30508
quick paddle mag release question

Will I be able to remove just the paddle & keep the mag release button functioning? I have a PTR-91 coming in that I'll need to install my Cali-legal "Bullet Button" (mag release button shroud) obviously if there's a paddle
that defeats the purpose of the bullet button. It came in as a barreled receiver (no pistol grip)
Would have gotten the model without the paddle but they were out of stock...
superjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 21:45   #2
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
Will I be able to remove just the paddle & keep the mag release button functioning? I have a PTR-91 coming in that I'll need to install my Cali-legal "Bullet Button" (mag release button shroud) obviously if there's a paddle
that defeats the purpose of the bullet button. It came in as a barreled receiver (no pistol grip)
Would have gotten the model without the paddle but they were out of stock...
Grip wrape ?
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 22:03   #3
superjc
Registered

I have one but since I won't be using any more 20 rounders I'd rather have the classic look & just use the Bullet Button... it'll be a range toy. I'm just wondering if the mechanism will still function without the piece that cams with the paddle. I'll take it apart and see when I get it.
Old December 21, 2016, 22:45   #4
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
I have one but since I won't be using any more 20 rounders I'd rather have the classic look & just use the Bullet Button... it'll be a range toy. I'm just wondering if the mechanism will still function without the piece that cams with the paddle. I'll take it apart and see when I get it.
Got you

You can take off the paddle no issue ..I have seen CA legal HK41 and G3 that had that done to them ..
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 22:57   #5
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
The mag catch will work fine with the paddle removed, even leaving the contact piece in place. However, the paddle cannot be easily removed. The axle that it rides on is welded in place so your only alternative would be to cut the paddle off. A barbaric proposition. I can understand your need for the mod, however.
Old December 22, 2016, 00:33   #6
superjc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
The mag catch will work fine with the paddle removed, even leaving the contact piece in place. However, the paddle cannot be easily removed. The axle that it rides on is welded in place so your only alternative would be to cut the paddle off. A barbaric proposition. I can understand your need for the mod, however.
I did think of that and thought the same thing... barbaric! PTR claims to make 100% their own parts now so I wouldn't be sawing a piece of history. I'll get my punch set out and see what I can do...

I'm going for the classic G3 look with this one; no bells & whistles & definitely no kydex grip wrap... I mean I threw all my normal size mags into the ocean already but at least a 10 round mag looks somewhat "normal" ...
Old December 22, 2016, 07:43   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
no no no no no. Technically correct but not useful.

The paddle without the contact piece does not engage the push button mag catch.

Replace the contact piece and standard push button, with a semiauto type pushbutton. Use a bullet button that blocks the pushbutton mag catch. The paddle can dangle, disconnected from function.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 08:31   #8
superjc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post

Replace the contact piece and standard push button, with a semiauto type pushbutton. Use a bullet button that blocks the pushbutton mag catch. The paddle can dangle, disconnected from function.
Thankyou! Looks like all the individual components are for sale at various places, I'll make it work.
Old December 22, 2016, 10:25   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Quote:

I may have misunderstood, I thought the paddle would be in the way of the BB or shroud or whatever and had to be removed. By all means, if it does not, Mark's advice is golden.
I freely admit, I have no idea how the Cali devices work and are installed and was giving advice based on info I gleaned from the OP's post. My mistake, my apologies.
Old December 22, 2016, 12:14   #10
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
The HK BB (at least the ones I've installed) aren't big shrouds like the AK and FAL, it's a small shroud around the push button so you can't finger-activate it, but need to poke a tool into the hole.

gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 19:02   #11
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

Thanks, Mark. I learned something today.
Old December 22, 2016, 21:06   #12
superjc
Registered

Quote:
The HK BB (at least the ones I've installed) aren't big shrouds like the AK and FAL, it's a small shroud around the push button so you can't finger-activate it, but need to poke a tool into the hole.

The news reports that bullet buttons are a "quick magazine changing device"

Soon even bullet-button semi autos will be registered as "assault weapons". I swear I'm going to re-film the Val Kilmer mag chance scene in "HEAT" with a bullet button rifle, splice it into the original film with proper overdubbing and put it on youtube....

I've had the mag release apart on my other gun before so I should be able to do this no problem. Thanks again guys
Old December 22, 2016, 21:28   #13
Wehrmacht
Registered

FALaholic #: 75823
Hey OP you are probably to strapped for time with the new Cali laws coming into effect but I have a PTR GI with no paddle mag release that I would trade for that does.
Wehrmacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 08, 2017, 18:55   #14
superjc
Registered

Update:

The Raddlock Bullet Button comes with a bushing/contact piece that does NOT have the cam to mate with the paddle mag. Got this thing installed & it's Ca. compliant ready to sight in..... classic black G3 I'm not gonna tinker with this... just need the wide handguard.... trigger job... HK21 cocking handle....

You wouldn't believe the flaming hoops Atlantic Firearms went thru to get me this barreled receiver before the cutoff date!