The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 14, 2018, 00:18   #1
Itchingforaninchpattern
Registered

FALaholic #: 17687
How to best liquidate a deceased friend's firearms and related items?

A family friend passed away and a relative and I have been working at cataloging his firearms and other related items. It is a large accumulation of firearms of types that run between hunting and modern sporting long guns, inexpensive surplus to high end hand guns, magazines, scopes, ammunition, parts, accessories, tools, bb guns and other items related to hunting and fishing as well as archery and knives. Some of the items appear to have seen use or abuse, and some items are as new in their boxes.
We are still in the early stages of the process, and seek to get the most possible from the sales for his widow, who does not have firearms or other related fields of knowledge in regard to her husband's collection.
Is there a process or method anyone would recommend for selling the particular categories of items?
My own thoughts are wait for increases in demands for certain categories of firearms that would increase prices on them, such as modern sporting rifles. I'm uncertain about sales such as ammunition because I think that would be best for doing in face to face transactions but could get to be inconvenient for this of us that would be doing that. The other items are more of a puzzle as to how to sell them off.
The area that the liqiuidation of the collection is occurring is in the Kansas City metropolitan region.
Input on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Itchingforaninchpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 00:22   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Source a auction company who specializes in what she has. You can help her set the reserve prices, and the company will handle the FFL and buyers.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 01:54   #3
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
What's your definition of "large"

Are you willing to handle it?
(For a cut or not)
Old September 14, 2018, 08:04   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Gunbroker.

Lots of pics.

Honest descriptions.

No-reserve auctions.

Good boxes.

Prompt shipping.

Sell ammo face-to-face locally. You can use Gunbroker for that too.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 08:07   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Having done it a couple times, let me say - good intentions aside, it is a nightmare.

Half the stuff, gunshow. Price a good amount below market. A quarter of the stuff - either of potentially high or unknown value - worth taking pics and doing gunbroker. Consider taking 30% of value and selling the whole lot to a gun store.

Quarter of the stuff - keep it, donate it, throw it in the dumpster. I'm still sitting on a couple cheap scopes from an estate I helped settle 5 years ago. It's too good to throw in the trash, but not good enough for me to want. And they've been to 8 gunshows at $25 - just not selling. I'm doing the show anyway, and have three tables of crap. But some stuff you literally cannot give away and would be money ahead to take to donate or throw in the dumpster.
Old September 14, 2018, 08:58   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Having done it a couple times, let me say - good intentions aside, it is a nightmare.

Half the stuff, gunshow. Price a good amount below market. A quarter of the stuff - either of potentially high or unknown value - worth taking pics and doing gunbroker. Consider taking 30% of value and selling the whole lot to a gun store.

Quarter of the stuff - keep it, donate it, throw it in the dumpster. I'm still sitting on a couple cheap scopes from an estate I helped settle 5 years ago. It's too good to throw in the trash, but not good enough for me to want. And they've been to 8 gunshows at $25 - just not selling. I'm doing the show anyway, and have three tables of crap. But some stuff you literally cannot give away and would be money ahead to take to donate or throw in the dumpster.
What scopes, Mark?
Old September 14, 2018, 09:10   #7
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

The time-investment for selling a firearm online will be minimum three hours actual labor.

Photographs.

Writing descripition.

Posting ad.

Negotiating with buyers.

Wrapping for shipping.

Receiving and processing payment.

Three hours minimum.

Per gun.

...or per POS old scope (maybe two hours)

Old September 14, 2018, 10:27   #8
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
What Gary said below. Most families don't have the time/expertise to list them or take decent pics. If you can do that you will get top dollar.

Selling ammo locally using gunforums/armslist - price it 25% under mail order prices in bulk and it will sell.

May want to conside selling shooter grade & common & popular guns like Glocks and 1911s locally as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Gunbroker.

Lots of pics.

Honest descriptions.

No-reserve auctions.

Good boxes.

Prompt shipping.

Sell ammo face-to-face locally. You can use Gunbroker for that too.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 11:12   #9
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
What Mark said. Most gunshops will only give you 25-30Ę on the dollar. But it makes for a quick sale and cash in hand. You could also separate out the high end stuff and sell on consignment at LGS. Still won't get top dollar. For top dollar, use Gunbroker or other national web auction hose. Make sure you have arrangements with LGS for the transfer paperwork if needed prior to posting on line.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2018, 11:22   #10
Itchingforaninchpattern
Registered

FALaholic #: 17687
To answer the previous question on defining large:
Firearms collection is about 75 firearms. Probably a low-middle size collection in most forum members perspective.
Ammunition is in unknown still, but a low figure is maybe 20K for centerfire pistol and rifle rounds.
Magazines run in the quantity 150 to 200 found so far, excepting the ones that would be included with a firearm's sale. Lots of AR mags and 2-3 dozen Glock mags of various models.
2-3 of Streamlight tactical lights and 3 EOTech sights found so far. 2 appear to be never mounted and still in the case. Other older optics of lower quality that I have found.
This is still a process of discovery on the items. There was a storage unit that was emptied out and put in a garage stall that I have not seen the contents of.
There is primarily survival equipment and motorcycle riding gear I have no idea on value of for whatever condition in might be in.
The one positive thing is the items do not need to be sold off within a year or less.
Itchingforaninchpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2018, 21:38   #11
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Off topic post, but the topic gives one pause to think. We may never know when the end is nigh, but a fellow ought to strive not to leave his peeps in this condition. My plan is to spend my retirement selling my stuff off, except just a few toys and the ones I want to leave to selected folks.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2018, 22:48   #12
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I guess it boils down to how much time you want to spend on it. The longer you take, including the time to research the value of each item, the more money you can get.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 06:01   #13
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Never sell a firearm for what the husband/significant other said it cost.

Kidding aside, low end stuff - get a table at a gun show. High end - Gunbroker with a reserve price.

I've had decent results with selling FTF on Armslist. Our sheriff's office has a safe space out front for doing on-line deals. Just call in advance so they don't think they are getting invaded.

I've used Gunbrokers advanced features to see what firearms have sold for previously. Works ok to try and determine value.
Old September 16, 2018, 07:53   #14
ROBBO
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9777
If you are interested in the auction house option, and anywhere near Cincinnati, Cowan's might be worth a look. They do take a cut from both buyer and seller, but generally get good prices, and it's less hassle than doing it yourself.
ROBBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 08:24   #15
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
I just got a request from an old friend to help him sell off his gun and knife collection. Good info here. Will be checking out what he has and what path he wants to take with it next week.
Larry
Old September 16, 2018, 08:34   #16
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Being responsible for this is a PITA. Watched a friend do it nearly twenty years ago when a good friend passed and my it turned into a second job for nearly a year.
You sound as if you want to get market prices for the item (being willing to wait for a good market for items) so dumping the lot for pennies on the dollar is out I suppose.

You've made a good start by cataloging everything. Continue this until it's complete and accurate. Be sure you secure safe storage for the stuff but have easy access to it yourself.
Organize the items by type or group. Divide and conquer. Sell off groups of items in smaller numbers that are easy to track and handle rather than trying to sell everything at once. It's a nightmare to keep straight when thirty people are communicating with you at once. Payments come in, phone calls are made and received, FFL and address information piles up. It's easy to get lost and send the wrong item to someone or forget someone all together.

Consider giving each item a part number if you have multiples. If you have a group of like items and list them together this will make is much easier to keep track of and avoid sending someone the wrong item. It also makes it easier for buyers to identify exactly what item they want. Add the part numbers to your inventory.

I'd sell the rifles in groups, say, what you call sporting rifles. List and sell ten at a time until they are gone then move to the next group. Repeat until all arms are gone. Get bills of sale for FTF deals, keep FFL's for shipped deals.

I'd sell ammo to anyone willing to pick it up or dump it on a shop. You'll be money ahead doing this vs trying to pack and ship it.
You can add item specific accessories to any firearm sale. Let mags and scopes go with rifles they fit for example.

Where to do it is another avenue to explore. Gunbroker is good but it's a lot of work to keep up with. Plus you have douche bags you'll likely have some trouble with which complicates things. Still a good option if you have an account and experience with it.
Internet forums like this one are excellent. Fewer douche bags and a concentrated interest for the particular items you want to move. You can control the eyes that see very specific items for sale and control the specific details of the sale process.

There are many forums out there with varied interests, you name it and there's a forum for it and all of them have marketplaces.

So...

Take accurate inventory.
Keep accurate inventory, update as things go away.
Sell in groups to keep tracking easier and avoid going insane.
Ahead of time obtain as much shipping material as you can find. Gary said above, boxes. You thank him for such advice later.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/shippingboxdelivered.aspx

Designate a day or days and hours that will be set aside for working on the project. This way you can work it into your work and family life. You can communicate with buyers whenever but the meat and potatoes of the project eats a lot of time. Knowing exactly when you have scheduled to do the work and hauling it to the shipper will help give you a feeling of control.

Open a bank account specifically for the operation. This is where all of the money goes into and all expenses come out of. Keep accurate records of every transaction so the widow or family can see exactly what's transpired. And it'll cover your ass in the event something goes sideways. Keep all receipts and FFLs, in the case of firearms, together and filed neatly.
When the operation is complete I'd keep a file of everything for a few years, again, just to cover the ass. You never know when some ahole might accuse you of something and families can get ugly after a death when it comes to money.

Good luck.
Old September 16, 2018, 10:24   #17
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Depending on where you are in the Mid-West, I may be able to help. I do this for my second job and I can generally give much better prices than your typical gunshop. I can also work on a commission basis which is very reasonable and better than most auction houses. I can tell you that it is a lot of work and to go the Gunbroker route, you are looking at 1-3 hours ea to get them all photo'd, listed, sold, packed and shipped. If you get to a point where you need to move them, give me a yell.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 10:38   #18
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Sold many firearms, ammo and accessories through classifieds, LGS consignment and a local online gun exchange. Can be a lot of work and not that easy but over time most sold and some offered as "bulk grab bag" sales.

When I get closer to lying beneath the clover I hope to have winnowed down my collection to a handful of my favorites and some ammo to pass along to my heirs. I don't want to leave that big responsibility to my friends and relatives as they really don't have a clue about the value of such things and would likely get scammed badly. But they just don't care to learn either so in a few short years I will be my own estate liquidator.
Old September 16, 2018, 12:40   #19
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Not to be a downer, but I have a pretty good collection of insurance photos of all my firearms and accessories. If anything else, they can be used for sale photos in the event of my demise. I also scan all my purchase invoices to note the cost of things.
Old September 16, 2018, 12:46   #20
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Yeah, as part of my Last Will, I have spreadsheet of serial numbered items, and corresponding accessories with current market values. I have to expand it to include some books, as I've learned from recent market place posts, that some of my reference books are now worth more than some of my guns - signed hardback Skinnerton, for example.

It's also important for my executor to know the difference between a $100 scope and a $1200 scope.

Also it is important that I note what items are NFA and cannot be sold over the counter. That one G3 grip frame assembly looks the same as that other one to the casual eye, but one has a post-sample registered sear in it, and the other only fits a registered receiver and is not NFA.

I also list a few people who I trust to help in liquidation, with a 20% service fee - because I know what an arduous task it can be.
Old September 16, 2018, 15:18   #21
Registered

FALaholic #: 8922
FWIW there's a gun-auction place down the road from our shop. I've been on their site a couple of time and things seem to sell pretty well. Their piece of the action is very reasonable - like 3% or so depending on the actual selling price of the gun. I think the site is actually gun-auction.com.
Good luck.
My partner and I are handling the disposition of a Class III estate (at the request of the local BATFE agent) and damn what a pain. I have personally inventoried and UNLOADED probably 350 various mags for the guns he had(every freakin' mag he had was loaded. And I've really learnd to HATE HK magazines...) So far we've moved about 70%of his guns, but there's another 250 + class I guns at his house and the widow is talking about having us handle those as well.
So far we probably have 100 hours into the job. Started in late May and still going.

My bad here. The site is gunauctionsusa.com and they get 18% for their trouble. Sorry for my confusion. OTH they do seem to sell their listings much faster than gunbroker.

Last edited by 0007; September 24, 2018 at 21:45. Reason: additional corrected info
0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 17:33   #22
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
pm sent. I'm local and will offer any help you need. John
Old September 16, 2018, 17:42   #23
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Too bad he didnít sell it off and spend it on viagra blow and hookers.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 18:25   #24
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Too bad he didnít sell it off and spend it on viagra blow and hookers.
I sold a large portion of my gun collection and bought a really fast car. That, after driving "good citizen" cars all my life.

Recently, I was on a no-particular-place-to-go boondoggle in West Virginia. WOT near the crest of a virtually-vacant wide-lane mountain road when I heard a tremendous whine of a turbine motor. I thought No. Fugking. Way. I was going way too fast for any terrestrial vehicle to have caught up with me going up that mountain, let alone without me seeing it coming.

Just then,... BOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

Fugking F16 - or some sort of fighter jet - banked right over my windshield.

I. Nearly. Shit.

The jet banked and showed me his bare underside, while doing some sort of tricky stall maneuver, then he straightend, hit the burners, and shot out of sight. A "friendly" gesture I suppose.

Somewhere in the vicinity of where Kara was staking out trespassers near as I reckon.

All I know is, right then, I thought "I sure am glad I sold all those guns."

That was cool.

Old September 16, 2018, 18:42   #25
adbm3
Registered

FALaholic #: 61973
Going through this myself at the moment. Trying to be a nice guy is just getting me a free kick in the rear. What Gunplumber said above is essentially true as I am finding out. However, posting stuff in lots on a couple of gun boards has proved to be quickest route. Most folks are looking for bargain basement items in lots. Individual sales of crap, not so much. Now, I've got to figure out what to do with that crap sitting in my house.
adbm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 18:45   #26
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Yep Gary. That’s pretty far out. I like guns because they are a decent hobby that if you’re smart you won’t lose money and can alway apply the funds to another hobby. I want an M14 but that’s another can of worms.

My dream is a C3 1970 or so big block stingray. Guaranteed to kill you

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 19:27   #27
perryturner
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6271
My cousin's step-daughter father died, leaving her about twenty firearms. Mix of handguns, rifles, shotguns. Ran the gamut from really nice to junk. He was an attorney, and probably took them as partial payments.

A friend and I cleaned them and tried to determine values, mostly from Gunbroker.com. Made a list with prices, showed it to some friends and neighbors, selling some. My friend took one, at a reduced price for all the cleaning he did. I took one at the price we listed. Took the rest to a gun show and paid someone I knew a few dollars for part of one of his tables. Sold the last one about two o'clock.

Everybody was happy.
perryturner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2018, 22:58   #28
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Iíve got no M14.

But I do still have my M1-A.
Shot it in competition just Saturday.
A very curious day indeed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EF0CAA08-99F3-439B-91E1-7F12FD61ABF6.jpeg (48.4 KB, 269 views)

Old September 16, 2018, 23:15   #29
Grunt
Registered

FALaholic #: 130
i sold off a friends collection. It was a pain. After having one of the relatives point a loaded gun at me as we were unloading the safe I had them leave the room where the safe was located. I found a gun shop that my friend knew and that I had dealt with in the pass to make a offer on the bulk of the collection. It was 50 % of retail which surprised me but it pissed off the family. The family basically accused me of making a deal with the gunsmith to low ball them. The family demanded to get a bid on the collection from another dealer. Their dealer offered even less. I almost laughed at them. The family was all sweetness and light until they smelled money. My advise is tell the family that if they want you to sell the guns that you sell them one at a time and that you get a commission or paid for your time. Most will want the money fast to settle the estate but you will get a lot less. Another thing to think about is where you keep the combinations or keys to your safe. I had to drill into a cheap gun cabinet because we could not find the keys. If you hide guns let someone know or write down where you hide them. A good list of your guns by Sn and cost would be a good idea. Some rare collector guns once owned by Teddy Roosevelt look just like rusty junk guns to relatives. Good luck.
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018, 12:16   #30
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Old September 17, 2018, 15:26   #31
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Guess it comes down to PITA vs wanted percent of value. Things I have noticed in my part of the world...

Local auctions do REALLY well on common American name-brand stuff. I can't tell you the number of Smith SD9VEs I've seen go for $400, just because idiots buy a name and have no clue what actual value is. If it's Smith, Colt, Remington, Winchester, Browning, maybe Ruger, it will typically bring retail or better. A few of the known high-$$$ foreign builds will too, like HK, Sig (thank you military), Desert Eagle (including the baby versions)and again maybe a few others.

However, there is premium stuff the local just doesn't grasp. Bought an unfired DS11xxx Grayslake Stg (that Mark later identified as one of his builds) there and I was out the door with buyer's premium and sales tax under $900. It broke the above rule, should have been sold on GB for near twice that. I see nice Kahrs, FALs, EAA Witnesses, ARs (yes, seriously), antique shotguns, Tikas, Sig long guns, and others got for half retail or less, at the same exact auction.

What I think I'd ultimately recommend is to make a deal with a local gun shop to handle all packaging and shipping for the widow. They would probably do it for a flat fee and this can be included in the pricing on GB, that way all that needs to be done is posting it, then once sold run it to the gun shop with shipping info. If possible teach her how to use GB, and let her use your acct to post. That way she has your feedback scores, and you can keep an eye on it, set reserves where you see fit, answer questions she likely can't, etc. Might give her a purpose now that the betrothed is passed. Little stuff get a table at the gun show and sell lots. Cleaning gear, grips, stocks, by the firearm type, whatever. Lots get rid of "lots" real quick. Might only get you 25% of retail, but it's likely worth not taking it home.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018, 16:04   #32
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
I started this for a dear friend some years ago with over 160 firearms. His nephew, to whom he left his entire estate turned out to be an utter prick once the initial shock of the death wore off. I dearly wanted a Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm but that had to be sold to his boss to keep the boss happy. Other items I wanted in return for collecting the firearms from the police department where I worked, then cataloging them, valuing, storing then listing them with all the other gun crap my buddy had were also, mysteriously promised to other members of his family, work etc. Wanted me to work like a dog selling all this shit for nothing.

Finally told him to get his ass up to NM from TX, collect all the shit and get the fcuk out of my life. That was the LAST time I ever try to help out a friend after their death in disposing of firearms. My dad went through some of the same when my godfather died in the UK. Took him over two years to sell about 10 guns and the stress was so bad that he ended up buying 2 of the guns himself. When he died, I gave one to my brother and I have the other in the safe. I'll probably sell it before I leave this planet because it means nothing to anyone but me.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

ďThe American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018, 17:35   #33
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
Depending on where you are in the Mid-West, I may be able to help. I do this for my second job and I can generally give much better prices than your typical gunshop. I can also work on a commission basis which is very reasonable and better than most auction houses. I can tell you that it is a lot of work and to go the Gunbroker route, you are looking at 1-3 hours ea to get them all photo'd, listed, sold, packed and shipped. If you get to a point where you need to move them, give me a yell.

krf
karl is good to deal with. he will buy you out entirely, or flog them on GB for a rate. he gets good traffic on GB and has a following of bidders and a good rating.

the key on GB, if you do it yourself, is to break things up into groups of about 20 items that have diverse titles, photo and describe them well, and post in batches of 20-25 guns ending on sunday at 6 pm or thereabouts, and list with no reserve. one reserve, unless it is special, will drive traffic away in droves.

you will get cross-traffic from people who find your listings by search words like "mauser". or S"springfield", or "AK-47", or "marlin". if you have variety in lots it will pull in lots of bidders who would not otherwise find your sales. NO RESERVE in title will make them look at your other auctions once they find what they thought they were looking for, and suddenly they will need everything that you have. you will get enuf traffic to get real market value.

more than 25 items in a batch people just cannot stay focused on. small stuff suffers in this marketing, unless it is common, like AK-47 magazines, which everyone needs more of, and should be sold in batches mixed in with attention getting stuff.

small stuff, put in batch lots in a live auction house that runs periodic "gun sales" if you can find one that will take it, if you don't want to sit at gun shows every weekend for 4 years.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnít appeal to you, youíre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youíre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 10:45   #34
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Wife of one of my good gun-buddies remarked that he had ear-marked a few of his guns for me in the event of his sudden demise.

I tolder her flat-out: I. DON'T. WANT. THEM.

There comes a time in your life where you just gotta take stock of what you will actually use, and what you are just storing.

Get rid of what won't be used. Nobody thinks your shit is important or valuable, and they FOR DAMN SURE dont' care about honoring your last mortal wishes. Eschew such vanity.

Old September 19, 2018, 06:48   #35
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
If my kids ever sell my gun collection, I'm going to haunt them forever.

Speaking of which, I need to go put that in my will.
Atla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2018, 10:47   #36
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
I sold a large portion of my gun collection and bought a really fast car.
Still have that Camaro, eh?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2018, 12:02   #37
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Yeah, and how's the battery tray holding up?
Was that in the Camaro or another? I lose track of such things.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018, 19:05   #38
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchingforaninchpattern View Post
A family friend passed away and a relative and I have been working at cataloging his firearms and other related items. It is a large accumulation of firearms of types that run between hunting and modern sporting long guns, inexpensive surplus to high end hand guns, magazines, scopes, ammunition, parts, accessories, tools, bb guns and other items related to hunting and fishing as well as archery and knives. Some of the items appear to have seen use or abuse, and some items are as new in their boxes.
We are still in the early stages of the process, and seek to get the most possible from the sales for his widow, who does not have firearms or other related fields of knowledge in regard to her husband's collection.
Is there a process or method anyone would recommend for selling the particular categories of items?
My own thoughts are wait for increases in demands for certain categories of firearms that would increase prices on them, such as modern sporting rifles. I'm uncertain about sales such as ammunition because I think that would be best for doing in face to face transactions but could get to be inconvenient for this of us that would be doing that. The other items are more of a puzzle as to how to sell them off.
The area that the liqiuidation of the collection is occurring is in the Kansas City metropolitan region.
Input on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
I'm in St Louis. PM me with a list and what you think they're worth. It might be worth the drive to KC. I'm not looking to make a profit just add to the stable.
Old September 21, 2018, 08:16   #39
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
Some of you may have read my post "what is my FN/FAL STG 58 worth?" on the FN forum (here).
I've been selling my "stuff" so my wife doesnt get stuck with it or go through what you are in the middle of. I've seen two widows get the "hot beef injection".
So far, sales have been brisk. The biggest "junker" gun I had was a Iver Johnson TP22.
I've been doing pretty much only "word of mouth".
I had sold that FN actually to another Falfiler and we both are happy with the deal.
I started buying most of my stuff around 1979. Bouught almost 1 gun per year as interests changed.
It appears the hardest stuff for me to sell will be Prairie dog rifles (kind of a specialty item) and AR-15's as the market price wise on AR's is next to nothing now. YOu can buy one new at PSA for 450$.
But they don't have a timney trigger, or target sights or a target barrel etc but most AR shooters could care less about my NRA highpower stuff.
IN the 6 weeks or so since I've embarked on this, I have 18 out of 43 left.
Most of my stuff was very 'low mileage" I could give you a plus minus 100 round count as to what has been through it since I reload and keep records.
The highest mileage gun I have is my CCW which has been overhauled once.
Biggest problem has been selling my class III spitfire. I've had 3 tire kickers on that so far. I also think I've been "baited" by the ATF.
I've told folks on the front end. If you live in AZ and have a drivers license and I know you through a friend or the files, I;'ll sell it to you.
If you are out of state, all rules apply, FFL to FFL only and you pay the shipping. Have had 3 bogus inquiries so far.
No way I'm going to camp fed so you can have a toy illegally.!
GOOD luck .
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2018, 21:54   #40
Registered

FALaholic #: 8922
What are you askin' on the Spitfire and is it transferable or post 86 dealer only? Thanks
I am a Class III/SOT-7.
0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 07:25   #41
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
it is transferable, it is a pre 1986 weapon
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 09:30   #42
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ow my balls.jpg (74.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg spring compressor 2.jpg (108.8 KB, 22 views)

Old September 25, 2018, 10:09   #43
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Looks like fun. At least, we see no spring marks on your forehead.

My son has some sort of technique for compressing those springs using a floor jack. Learned in on the innernet he did.

Drivin' that Camaro daily?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

Old September 25, 2018, 10:22   #44
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Neither one.

Mostly when my boy wit the F16 wants to meet me at the top of the ridge at Mount Storm.

You ainít really had your fun until mach 1 crosses your hood on the highway.

Old September 25, 2018, 10:35   #45
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

The stock springs are pretty long.

If you use shorter springs, you should be able to untie the arm bolts, ang let the arm hang from the ball-joint, then bring the aftermarket spring in from the motor side. I have my doubts you can feed a factory spring in from either side without a compressor. The compressor in the pic is good for one use only. Then the threads are comprised. So, add $60 (for two Autocraft compressors)to the cost of the job if you canít work it from the motor side with a floor jack.

Old September 25, 2018, 10:40   #46
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

He was working on his Sonoma with the LT-1 and changing to a disk brake setup and maybe new control arms too, iirc. Seemed like sort of an iffy plan to ol' dad, but he made it work. He's now 36 and back in college...gonna be a mechanical engineer now.

Old September 30, 2018, 14:36   #47
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
Quote:
Any idea of the story behind the photo, W.E.G. ?
gaijinsamurai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2018, 18:42   #48
APEXgunparts
Registered

FALaholic #: 61867
Empire Arms

Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms has helped settle a few estates!
He can also do insurance appraisals.
http://www.empirearms.com/

Dennis can make an offer or sell it for the estate on consignment.
Give him a call and see if he can be of assistance.

Richard
Mon-Fri 9am to 4:30pm MT www.apexgunparts.com
APEXgunparts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 01, 2018, 00:57   #49
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
you can have someone do the work for you for a fee.

or you can get a table(s) at a local gun show, but have an idea on prices.

you can sell on any of the gun auction/selling site. I think you may get more money here since it will have a bigger audience.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote