The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old August 24, 2019, 22:49   #1
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
yugo 53 reweld questions.

Came across a guy with a reweld he bought at an estate sale. Been about a month since I looked at the paperwork, but IIRC wiselite (will have to check) he says it works, but I'm Not buying a reweld (even with all the paperwork) without shooting it.
If it works:
$2k, half cash, half trade.

Should be able to meet up this week.

Now: I have 2-3 yugo 53 parts kits, the G1 .308 conversion parts, 12-20 original barrels, parts, belts, drums, tools, lots of stuff from about 9 years ago that I haven't even LOOKED AT since. (I've shot FA Mg42's in the distant past)
Figured I'd get my SOT or have some made as semi's some time and I bought a couple hundred barrels of various types back when they banned further import.

If it works, from what little I can find online it's a good price and my parts kits are approaching that value, receivers are not avalable, and Rewelding ain't cheap, So probably better to jump in...?

Figure i'd ask what to look for, (besides function) general advice.etc.
Thank you

Last edited by Nomad, 2nd; August 24, 2019 at 23:10.
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 13:44   #2
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
4140 alloy rewelds fine with ER-70s as a parts tray, which is what a 53/42 receiver is, as locking of bolt is HK style in the trunion. look for good alignment of welded sections and good weld appearance and check headspace as up to +6 thousandths. general condx, and ask to shoot it, looking at fired cases for signs of head separation with a bent pointed wire. check bore condx. replacement barrel/trunions should headspace similar. bolt face for cracks.

2K is way under market.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2019, 10:21   #3
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

Thanks, welds looked good, but it didn't run right. Pretty sure I could fix i t, but he had $1,200 in it and I was only willing to go $1k for a project.

I'll see him in December and will have another shot.
Old August 28, 2019, 16:10   #4
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Kit with full receiver and barrel are $1400 plus. If you can find one. Bowman had some at $1000 and they disappeared fast and there are no more coming in.

Is this a semi or SOT gun? If semi are they home mods or BRP? BRP grip and bolt are going to run $600 plus alone. $300 minimum for the barrel and that alone is approaching $1000

Top problems are: weak aged springs, recuperator, receiver welded poorly- bent, twisted. Could also be the wrong size cone, or recoil spring too long, both very common. Is it 308 or 8mm? What failed?
Old August 30, 2019, 19:09   #5
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Thanks, welds looked good, but it didn't run right. Pretty sure I could fix i t, but he had $1,200 in it and I was only willing to go $1k for a project.

I'll see him in December and will have another shot.
could be bad head-spacing if it wasn't feeding or extracting right. harder to adjust than most HK guns, for which different size rollers are available. a gun like that should have 6-8 thou headspace to run reliably, not allowing reloading of cases, of course. put 4 thicknesses of scotch tape on base of factory round, trim and try chambering with firing pin removed to check this (scotch is about.002" per layer).

some builders try to space semi conversions of past-machine-guns like a bolt gun and get them too tight, so they don't feed or extract well. common problem when people started building bren guns in semi. trouble is, since head-spacing in '53 is in the trunion and barrels are supposed to be uniform in fitting the trunion, and therefore welded assembly length is not critical, something is not right, if headspace is the issue.

if it is short stroking or hard recoil the problem is in spring balance. incomplete chambering can be a bunch of things.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2019, 01:36   #6
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

I'm pretty sure it was headspacing and spring issues.

Mostly it wouldn't eject and crushed the mouth of the cases, trippled 1x.
(Its a semi) wiselite receiver as I remembered.
He tried several main springs
He was using commercial brass cased, but I just kept my mouth shut.

Guy had told me it ran fine. Told another guy I know it 'mostly' ran fine, so I was skeptical.

Don't have 8mm go/no go guages, told him to try some.

I have kits and 12-20 original barrels I picked up 10 years ago, so I'm not stressing.

Was considering offering him $1k as is, but he admitted to having $1200 in it. He's not a gun guy and isn't pushing hard. I told him I would do the $2k if he got it running.

As I said he bought it at an estate sale (and passed on 4 FAL'S that went for $300 per!!!!) There's the MG42 tutorial with chicken scratch all over it.
Someone out 20+ hours of gunsmith into this gun already (could make out work done by 10 hours and work done by 20) but it's hard to decifer.

Probably offer him $1k in December.
Old August 31, 2019, 08:09   #7
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
If it cycles by hand Ok but doesn’t eject when fired then probably either too strong/ long a main spring or too large a booster hole. The latter is the most common internet fix. Of course this assumes no binding due to warped reweld receiver.

Tired top cover springs usually result in failure to feed. Headspace typically doesn’t cause FTX.

It would be a steal at $1000 even suspecting it will have other (firing pin, reset, etc) issues.
Old September 04, 2019, 20:31   #8
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
https://thechive.com/2012/12/06/appa...ing-25-photos/
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote