The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old July 29, 2019, 16:54   #1
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
No Mention of JAE Going Out-Of-Business?

I guess the only FALaholic that posts in the M-14 Forum that could afford a/one JAE stock was Brother Art, and how many does he have; like 12 or more? I was waiting for someone else to mention them going out of business, which I consider a great loss.

I REALLY like the idea and overall execution of the JAE stock system and the work and craftsmanship were beautiful BUT I could not get into the rake/angle of the grip. It threw my wrist TOO FAR into ADDuction (while in line with the bore) and it was too uncomfortable for me for a long-term use. The grip was NOT a true Pistol Grip and consequentially the design, by nature, had to be a Kalifornication "variant" instead of a true "pistol grip" as on a USGI E-2 stock, McMillan A2 or even a McMillan A-3 stock.

Maybe someone else will pick up the engineering in future. The M-14 Cult needs quality parts that "work good; last long time" and judging by the ever shrinking market of M-14 Cultists and regular M-14 clone owners, all new introductions will have to be expensive.

The only thing close to the JAE now must be the Blackfeather system. We need Brother Art to put together a bunch of fine M-14 clones using these and showing us how they improve accuracy and reliability next.

Jarhead
Old July 29, 2019, 18:26   #2
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
It came as quite a surprise when the word got out that they had closed their doors.
Only 3 JAEs in my herd.
At this point I have no interest in the Blackfeather although I have been tempted a couple of times.
Headed out to Camp Perry for a few days to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into out there. Sure would be nice to pick up one of the 03s guys have been getting.

RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2019, 13:55   #3
hardheaded
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
It was a shock to me as well
I just picked one up on the last group buy and thought about getting another

Thanks to my tight wad procrastination, I guess one will have to do
Old July 31, 2019, 16:25   #4
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
Wasn't that a JAE stock on the 14 that just sold in the market place?

I was late or I would have bought the gun just for the stock.
TnHawk-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2019, 19:26   #5
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
i point I have no interest in the Blackfeather although I have been tempted a couple of times.
Talk to Tony Ben over at M-14 Forum. He and Lazerus (of Canada) seem to know a lot about the Blackfeather system. However, I cannot really find anywhere over there where is shows the Blackfeather system to improve accuracy as does the JAE, SAGE and McMillan products have been proven to do. At present, the Blackfeather system is close in price to the other ones, once you complete the rifle with it.

Brother Art, do you know if the BF System improves accuracy or is just a better way to tote the M-14 clone?

Jarhead
Old August 06, 2019, 16:59   #6
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
Talk to Tony Ben over at M-14 Forum. He and Lazerus (of Canada) seem to know a lot about the Blackfeather system. However, I cannot really find anywhere over there where is shows the Blackfeather system to improve accuracy as does the JAE, SAGE and McMillan products have been proven to do. At present, the Blackfeather system is close in price to the other ones, once you complete the rifle with it.

Brother Art, do you know if the BF System improves accuracy or is just a better way to tote the M-14 clone?

Jarhead
Thanks. As far as I know it is not an accuracy improver. But then, I have only really worked with JAE and Macs myself.
RVN 67-68
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 08, 2019, 08:43   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Did they just close shop or file some form of Bankruptcy? If its the latter their tooling and molds should land in someone's hands. I tried to get in line when Mag Tactical went belly up but the bigger vultures had already jumped in and locked it up. If so.eone knows would be a possible fun retirement hobby making stocks in funny colors for people with plenty of money.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2019, 17:05   #8
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Did they just close shop or file some form of Bankruptcy? If its the latter their tooling and molds should land in someone's hands. I tried to get in line when Mag Tactical went belly up but the bigger vultures had already jumped in and locked it up. If so.eone knows would be a possible fun retirement hobby making stocks in funny colors for people with plenty of money.
Good luck!

After more than 20 years I am still trying to find out where the tooling went for the Holloway HAC-7 rifles went to! The only thing I could find was that the mags went to Reed Knight to use in his AR-10 when it first came out. You know the $.25 mags he milled one hole in and charged folks $100+ for!
TnHawk-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2019, 16:28   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Would like to put my hands on one long enough to get one of my friends to put it in his Haas HMC which has an option that will feel a part and actually spit out a "scan" that can be opened and tweaked in 3D CAD/CAM software till part is either copied or improved as much as a programmer is willing to put into it and then rendered and optimized to cut the parts or making molds. I make a lot of mold masters for a company that does cultured marble for hotel bathrooms. If have stayed at a Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn, Indigo Inn or other chains owned by those corporations odds are I designed the shower enclosure and made the masters for the molds.

Am selling some property and wife has agreed if sell it I can buy me another Haas CNC milling machine. Had a Haas VF 3YT with 4th axis option back before the economy crashed. Just after Y2K had begun building custom and restoring antique H-D motorcycles as a hobby and was making billed parts by doing part on my CNC router then finishing on my manual machines. Had a friend who sold a farm he inherited and wanted to go into the custom wheel business. We partnered up in a business where he rented a building to move his manual machines and welders then we split the cost on the VF 3YT. He could not even send and receive email but was one of the best welders and manual machinists I have seen for his youth.

He ran the machine and welding shop and when we sold wheels I would program the wheels and taught him to load and index parts. He could start a job then flip a part and index it to finish it then I would come load the next set. We suddenly had people buying wheels for cars and many wanted five so spare even matched. My main business was going full speed and then got in on doing 4G upgrades on Ma Bell cell towers to point could not keep up with everything. Buddy was wanting to be on his own and not a partner so sold him my half interest in the Haas. He hired a programmer, bought a VMC to make custom brake calipers and other smaller motorcycle parts then the economy crashed. He ended up selling all his equipment at a loss before his overhead ate up all his money from the inheritance and I bought a manual machine shop for my needs.

I have tried but unless I either go to Tech School or get a job in a machine shop I suck at manual machining. Had a good machinist who died and when could not find a replacement sold my big tool room lathe and my surfacing machine. Now I want another HMC and a VMC but unless sell property not going to pull from savings or finance it. Still can do a lot with equipment I have and could probably profile stocks on the CNC router with some custom holding fixtures especially if only making one or two types. Would love to make a quality knock off of Mini 14 GB factory folders if they don't still hold a patent on them.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old August 24, 2019, 22:49   #10
RPBII
Registered

FALaholic #: 19720
Mincey?
RPBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2019, 09:14   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Till they bought their own router as were times I could not produce a mold master overnight if they got in a bind but I had to go help them get it in service. Kenneth is a good guy and while miss their CNC router business he had to make best decision for his business. Now he has more time to play with his goats.