The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old August 20, 2019, 12:00   #1
Mlukas
Registered

FALaholic #: 81261
Mind wanders while waiting for my first FAL (DSA Izzy)

I am working on acquiring my first FAL and this forum has been an amazing source as I started collecting info, thanks to all!

I have been contemplating getting a FAL for some time but something else always seemed to take my attention (and my money)! I am a collector and love the historical aspects of firearms – I tend to collect based on firearm designs which saw combat or are significant in terms of firearms development and jumped when I saw the DSA Israeli FAL. Just like so many of you I am still waiting…. I really want to like the DSA Izzy as it seems like you get a lot of gun for the price (and they look so good with the wood ) but I can’t get a straight answer from DSA about expected delivery time and it has been 5 months.

Even more than the wait time, I am seeing some mixed reviews as to the reliability of the DSA Izzy. I saw Ian’s semi-dumpster fire 2-gun run and I read a number of differing opinions as to what went wrong with no consensus.

Long story short, I am contemplating canceling my order with DSA and building a kit myself (possibly Rhodesian). I am looking for something with a bit of history which I can have some fun with at the range and maybe shoot in a couple of matches – nothing serious just fun.

With some quick research I have found that a parts kit which might interest me runs $500 - $800, receiver $400 - $450, misc tools $200 or so (barrel clamp, headspace gauges, timing rod). Am I missing anything here?

A few questions to help me make my decision –

1. What is the perception of the DSA Izzy guns in terms of overall quality and historical accuracy (as close as 922 allows)? Are they worth the $1500 (Officer Grade)?

2. Can I actually build a decent (read as reliable and historically accurate) FAL for the same $1,500?

3. How is the quality of DSA receivers? I saw they have an R1 available, any experience with building on it?

4. It seems pretty straightforward to put together and I would love to build it myself to really appreciate how the gun works. Is there anything to be aware of before jumping in?

Any advice or insights help, thanks in advance!
Mlukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 12:15   #2
Charles_The_Hammer
BANNED

FALaholic #: 76904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlukas View Post
3. How is the quality of DSA receivers? I saw they have an R1 available, any experience with building on it?
Ummmm, no......

I think they were "available" for about 8 hours before they disappeared.

They are having a hard time keeping up with demand, it appears.
Charles_The_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 12:36   #3
sharkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 77489
You may be further ahead purchasing a gun off the marketplace here.
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 13:21   #4
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
..."Long story short, I am contemplating canceling my order with DSA and building a kit myself (possibly Rhodesian). I am looking for something with a bit of history which I can have some fun with at the range and maybe shoot in a couple of matches – nothing serious just fun."...

From a historical perspective do you wish a FAL from the winning or from the losing side of a war?
SA and Rhodesian builds and some parts kits are all over the place for sale. Israeli builds both DSA and private will also be all over the place once DSA gets caught up.
Some Israeli FAL buyers will dump their rifles once the current infatuation wears off. There might be a few bargains at that time if many are on the market simultaneously.
It reminds me of some of my friends who have retired here in Florida and bought Harleys only to tire of them in a few years and sell them off at half the price. Corvettes, Camaros and BMW's are much better for a mid-life crisis.
Old August 20, 2019, 14:03   #5
Mlukas
Registered

From a historical perspective do you wish a FAL from the winning or from the losing side of a war?

Well obviously the rifle from the winning side is the better rifle!
Old August 20, 2019, 14:14   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Your best bet is and Imbel on Imbel. Easily built for less that $1500. This Rhodie thing makes me smile. Yeah I build one and thought it was the stuff but have since sold it and a lot of Rhodie parts.

You can clean up an IMBEL kit with blast and park. Find a receiver for $650 that's a true Mil spec build receiver. I never cared for Izzy because I don't like the looks or the weird selector and other aspects. You can also find a build here from some of the guys if you don't want to build. Some nice builds pop up for <$1500

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 14:32   #7
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Your estimation for putting a kit together is (somewhat) off.

The kit, minus the receiver ($500-$800) is close, depending on your choice of FAL/Commonwealth variant.

Your receiver cost will only be in the in the $400-$450 range if you are luckily enough to snag one of the DSA offerings when available. Apart from that, receiver prices can and have exceeded $1000; again, depending on the variant & type you want/need.

It's great you would like to build your own and yes, tools are out there, as are kits. Maybe there are other Members here who live close by...I'm sure they will gladly help with your initial build. As suggested by other Poster's here, you will/can find some nice deals on kits in the Marketplace but dollar for dollar, I believe buying a 'complete' FAL, built by one of our many fine members, will probably cost you less in the near term.

It's kind like Pizza....go to the store and buy all the ingredients and it will cost you $40 or, call in for delivery for about $15.

I can't comment on DSA FAL quality, having never owned one. Like yourself, I ordered a DSA Light Barrel but during the wait time, I got distracted with new projects (Rhodie's; Para; Zimbel etc which I may have not have done, had DSA delivered & charged my CC: As such, I too canceled my order, just last week.

Welcome & good luck.
Graham.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 18:53   #8
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Having owned a handful of FALs over the years Ive always wanted a Izzy.
Had a trade for a HB fall through, and had a seller in Az that backed out last minute so I went ahead on jumped on the DSA list for a officer grade.

I spoke with them last week. My rifle has been given a seral number so I was told I should have it right at the 5 month mark.

But DSA tends to tell people whatever they want to hear.
All I know is it better be worth it. If I have to send it to Gunplumber to make it run Im going to be perturbed.

Im with Dak on the mindset that just wait a few more months and they will be everywhere for sale once the infatuation goes away but Ive never been known to be a patient person.
Old August 21, 2019, 09:06   #9
Mlukas
Registered

Thanks to all for the opinions and insights, it has definitely helped to re-frame my thinking. Based on the feedback I think I will keep my Izzy order with DSA and scour the marketplace in the meantime.

Thanks again!
Old August 21, 2019, 13:57   #10
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
Had a trade for a HB fall through, and had a seller in Az that backed out last minute so I went ahead on jumped on the DSA list for a officer grade.

I spoke with them last week. My rifle has been given a seral number so I was told I should have it right at the 5 month mark.

All I know is it better be worth it. If I have to send it to Gunplumber to make it run Im going to be perturbed.

Im with Dak on the mindset that just wait a few more months and they will be everywhere for sale once the infatuation goes away but Ive never been known to be a patient person.
I agree waiting for a build from DSA one would need the patiences of a Saint. Waiting for a stripped metric receiver is long enough wait but not near as bad as an out of stock FAL build.
The good news is you will eventually get it and Christmas is not too far off. If it doesn't run to your satisfaction best return it to DSA where it is guaranteed since the barrel and receiver are new DSA products. Did I say you will likely wait some more? Well, think positive and trust the FAL will run smoothly when it arrives.
Personally, I have never purchased a completed FAL from DSA and only a bunch of parts over the years. The only reservation I have on the current DSA Israeli FAL is the unacceptable condition of the wood. 25 years ago i built 3 different model Israeli FAL's when there were a ton of new old stock Israeli furniture on the market.
Old August 25, 2019, 10:49   #11
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
I got the email!!

Just a reference point for you/ anyone that cares here.... I ordered my Officers Izzy LB from DSA on March 8 and got the email that they charged my cc and are or have just shipped it. So, were into the March orders!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post

STGguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 21:14   #12
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Quote:
Originally Posted by STGguy View Post
Just a reference point for you/ anyone that cares here.... I ordered my Officers Izzy LB from DSA on March 8 and got the email that they charged my cc and are or have just shipped it. So, were into the March orders!!!
Bob...maybe you moved up the line and got the one I canceled ??
Graham.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2019, 22:47   #13
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

My OG was ordered in April and they told me last week my gun has been issued a serial number and in process...

So yea, No rhyme or reason...
Old August 26, 2019, 16:47   #14
Mlukas
Registered

Hahahahahahahahaha, my order was April 2 and they told me this past Thursday that I should be expecting 4 -6 weeks!

@Redoubt, what's your secret? You know a guy?
Old August 26, 2019, 18:10   #15
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlukas View Post
Hahahahahahahahaha, my order was April 2 and they told me this past Thursday that I should be expecting 4 -6 weeks!

@Redoubt, what's your secret? You know a guy?
Nope, They just lie. Its pretty much the only answer.

Basically its people who work there to answer phones are most likely not getting paid the best wage, and are kept in the dark of the real workings of the guys building the rifles is my best guess.
So when you call, they basically tell you what you want to hear. No rhyme or reason.

There are guys on this board who have said they are at 6 months now and still nothing.

But with that said do you trust them to tell us if the kits rub out, or if they dont have anymore parts to cobble stuff together?
Old August 28, 2019, 11:22   #16
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
Izzy LB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamneall View Post
Bob...maybe you moved up the line and got the one I canceled ??
Graham.
Not sure... I got the note that they hit my card- I got an Officers and paid for the red and white lettering- and I received the note that UPS was delivering to my FFL.... Sooooo.. hoping to pick it up on Friday. Stay tuned!

Original order date was 3/8/2019.. like 5 mo.

Why did you cancel? I guess I was close to it a few times and was going to just do one on my own, but then I needed to deal with receiver/ barrel/ etc issues and just kept it and now Im glad I did.

Im hoping after I shoot it and dial it in, I'll still feel that way!
STGguy is online now   Reply With Quote