The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old April 11, 2018, 16:40   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
22 250

Any of you guys shoot 22 250? I am building a load but want some feed back on velocity. In your experience what velocity are you getting best accuracy for the different weights of bullets?

I started with a 55 grain bullet and 38 grains of H380 as my base load. Going out to shoot it over a chrony for velocity and Guage the accuracy. Do you have a velocity you favor for best performance on critters? I may sacrifice some accuracy for better bullet performance.
Old April 11, 2018, 17:43   #2
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Been a long time so can't recommend a load, but any varmint bullet will be explosive at any typical 22-250 velocity so I wouldn't make any compromise with regard to accuracy.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 05:29   #3
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
i am running 35gr of varget under a hornady 52gr for an average velocity of 3650 fps.
my average accuracy is .50 MOA this is through a ruger 77, varmint, barreled gun, with a fully floated barrel, glass bedded stock, 2.5Lb trigger, running Nikon glass.
Old April 12, 2018, 06:31   #4
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
There was a Mountie I hunted Jumpers with up in Canada, and he used a 22-250 bolt gun.
Totally illegal on White Tail, but he got away with it. I saw that round so some horrible things to White Tailed Deer. It'd penetrate 8" and explode like HE. The cavity it left was easily a 12" hollowed out area filled with blood and mush.
It would drop a White Tail or Mulie as good or better than any .30 caliber round.
Just for kicks, he tried this "varmint round" on a rabbit at about 75 yds.
No schitt, there was the mythical pink mist in the air after the kill, and when we checked, all that was left was a bit of a head, a bloody spine, and a tuft of fur on the other end. That's it.

Whatever he was using came out of a green box, so it was something Remington and it was store bought in Canada. This was the real early 80s, so I know little else other than to tell you that I have a healthy respect for, even a bit of awe of the power of that supposed varmint round.
He'd nail White Tail as they came out of a stand of trees, stretched out in a dead run, at 200 yds, on a full deflection shot with almost no leading the target.
It blew my flippin' mind.
Old April 12, 2018, 11:05   #5
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I wounded a lot of coyotes with my 22/250 shooting light bullets, the .223 was actually more effective in putting them down DRT. They normally expired within 100/200 yards, but it was aggravating and time consuming tracking them down.

That is until I tried the 64 grain WW PP bullet under 38.5 grains of 4350. Not a load you will find in the books, but it shot some of the smallest 200 yard groups I ever shot with my Remington BDL HB. I estimated the velocity at around 3400 feet/sec.

And it killed like lightning, it will penetrate a coyote end to end, break and penetrate the front leg bones, and almost shoot through a medium size mule deer, and slay Javelina like the hammer of Thor. The bullets I recovered were nicely mushroomed, never saw one blow up. That was in a 1 in 14 twist 24 inch barrel, they also shot well in my 26 inch Winchester. But not so good in a 20 inch Browning Micro Medallion I had.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 13:48   #6
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
I wish I could tell you what Rob was shooting in his 22-250, and I'm fixin' to call him and ask if he remembers, because Hagar, what you describe is darn near what I saw year after year. It was scary magic shit, dat.
Old April 12, 2018, 15:07   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
If it would just slack off on the rain a bit I would get out to the range. Can't set the chrony out 12 feet without it getting rained on. I did notice that I can buy loaded rounds for near what new brass cost..