The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old March 09, 2019, 20:25   #1
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Inland Carbine - How Much???

Okay guys, went to a local pawn shop looking for some loose tools (files and sockets) for a couple of projects. None of the right type/size were there, but I did see a nice little Inland M1 carbine. Looked pretty good except for the stock, which had been varnished. Since I didn't have my readers with me I couldn't see all of the roll marks and stamps but the action was tight and bore shiny. The question becomes, how much are these things going for now, ie. what would you pay? I saw the price and only remember that it was reasonably low, IMHO.

I already have a '43 Inland but if the price is right, I could always pick up another nice one.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 20:32   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
M1 Carbines have been ridiculous in recent years, even well-used examples are bringing $750-850 if that tells you anything? In the late-90s when I was a senior in HS I picked up a Postalmeter for $425 and that gun would likely bring $1200+ these days.

If you can snag that Inland for under $800 and the only issue is a varnished stock, I’d say grab it.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 20:33   #3
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
Without a listing of the parts manufacturers to confirm all USGI and a refinished stock, $550. Too many good GIs being sold lately for $850-950.
rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 20:56   #4
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Anything under $800 would be within what they can be found for. More depending on the "correctness" or if it has a CMP certificate
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 23:58   #5
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
So what was the asking price? Don't ask for info but withhold it at the same time.

Is it importer stamped on the barrel (e.g., "Blue Sky")? If not, then Valmet's advice should be spot-on.

Was it arsenal refurbed? Most carbines were. If it has flip rear sight, no bayo lug, push button mag release and a flat bolt that would add to the value.

Here's hoping that you update this post by telling us you bought it for under $500.

Let us know, and good luck!
Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 18:22   #6
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Like I said, I didn't have my readers, but tag looked to be $399. Going back tomorrow to verify and look closer.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old March 10, 2019, 18:30   #7
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
If your eyes saw it correctly and $399 is, in fact, the price- jump on it. Keep us posted...

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 20:01   #8
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
..but tag looked to be $399....

That sounds like paydirt. Let us know how it works out, and good luck!
Old March 11, 2019, 14:11   #9
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Went back today with the intent to buy if all GI. Upon inspection it looked to be GI receiver, GI barrel (Inland), properly marked safety and trigger housing. Clerk was friendly and told me they priced the carbines from $500 and up depending on condition etc. The price tag was not the one on the rifle Saturday when I was there for other things. While I didn't have my readers on, I clearly saw 399.00 on that tag. Today I clearly saw $1299.00 on the tag without my glasses before being handed the rifle. As I inspected it and looked at the price tag (glasses on) this was the time she stated their price range. She also volunteered that this rifle had its price "re-verified" this morning.

It was a nice rifle but not worth that much to me. I passed on the purchase.

Old March 11, 2019, 19:44   #10
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Damn shame. My guess is, at that price, they will be keeping that carbine in their gun rack for a long time.
Old March 15, 2019, 00:54   #11
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Well about a year ago I sold my Inland M1 carbine with a couple of mags for $1250. It was a late WWII model. It was in good shape with all the correct parts.
It sucks you missed out on it at $399, I probably would have bought another one at that price. Probably would have turned around and sold it too. Could have made a decent profit off of it.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote