The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old February 25, 2018, 16:01   #1
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Trade Goods

Besides guns&ammo, what trade goods are you stocking up on?
(Stuff that you can trade to others)
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018, 17:05   #2
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Any thing that makes fire, candles, medical supplies, antibiotics are high on the list.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018, 18:19   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I just buy more than what I need every day, times get ugly everything will have value.
Old February 25, 2018, 18:29   #4
The Pigpen
Registered

FALaholic #: 51732
whenever i get my monthly bottle of scotch, i always pick up a couple of pints or half pints of cheap vodka or burbon.
I have a couple dozen stashed away. I figure they wont go bad and at worst I can use it for antiseptic. Maybe trade. if I ever do drink it the SHTF for sure.
Old February 25, 2018, 18:32   #5
gunseller
Registered

FALaholic #: 10120
I buy the one shot bottles of booze. That way I can control how drunk you get when you are around me. Besides I carry then for personal snow snake medicine.
Steve
gunseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018, 19:10   #6
sniperdoc
Registered

I think toilet paper would be a good investment,maybe I'm wrong.
Meds, preserved foods,blankets, tobacco,alcohol, and "women's hygiene products" all seem like good options as well.
Old February 25, 2018, 20:45   #7
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
I'm with Bawana Jim - as I'm on the same plan. Buy what I need and use. Buy extra for others.

I'm also with you, SniperDoc - I've got a years worth of my favorite T.P. And when you learn that there are four daughters and a wife in the house, you will know that it is no small amount.

I've got a few bottles of 151 around, which I figure I can use as antiseptic, alcohol stove fuel, or barter.

Most of my barter goods are ammo and firearm related. Anyone like my "primer layaway plan"? Yeah, because you can make a LOT of stuff. I'm not sure you can make loadable primers for modern brass cases that easily.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018, 21:05   #8
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
I've included toothpaste and brushed, as well as baby wipes and coffee. It's amazing how desperate caffaholics get when they need their fix, and there's no coffee about.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018, 00:44   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Wife had a continuing education event for her dental license today in which dozens of dental supply companies had displays and product samples. She came home with four cases of toothpaste, several dozen rolls of dental floss and about 50 manual toothbrushes in addition to a pair of the newest model Sonicare toothbrushes. Also scored a lot of professional samples such as prophy paste, new scalers, multiple boxes of masks and gloves. While we have a couple of older U.V. lights from dental offices she worked in, at my request chatted up one of the reps showing latest models of U.V. lights for curing amalgams (for fillings and repairs of broken/chipped teeth) and was able to buy us a new model from his show samples along with a variety of fillers and all the other goop mix together to make temporary and permanent repairs to teeth including fillings if finds a cavity.

Personally coffee is my biggest item am stockpiling currently with communication gear and night vision equipment. Have so much stuff stockpiled and basics are super important but for a tactical edge in the dog eat world dog post SHTF having the equipment that puts your hive better prepared to fight will be of major importance. We just scored anot her years supply of wife's bone meds and my endocrine system meds. We are past five years pushing six years in meds we need and lots of emergency stuff we might need. Bet we have over 20 gunshot IFAK's now. Have my full EMT kit plus full Wilderness First Responder kit along with cases of shelf packs of antibiotics and antivirals.

Hit a deal on ATN X Sight U.V. night vision scopes and bought multiple units though more of a fan of true "starlight" night vision. Now have four of the ATN X Sights and now looking at upgrading my exterior U.V. flood lights. Was a time when had to lean on U.V. lights to augment use of early night vision technology. While all have their own U.V. source always worried that of went up against an intruder with night vision weapons mounted U.V. illuminator give the opposing force an instant location on each user. House has a 360° setup of U.V. lights mounted in floodlight type fixtures can illuminate everything inside my fence line without using weapons mounted illuminators. Want to extend that range at least 50 yards into wooded areas and 100 yards into cleared areas. Mix the new ATN U.V. sights with the Gen 2+ CGT and HTP along with thermal and if an attack came at night would have much better odds of success.

In addition to upgrading my home mounted U.V. illuminators plan to install a 360° set of high intensity LED strobes so if have to face opposing force with night vision can have a radio command that let's all defending our area of operations know to shield their devices and have a set period strobes will run then soon as shut down we can pull caps off our devices and have a few seconds to engage while their devices are resetting from suprise strobe overload.

One of the most important small items in our house are rechargable batteries. Have AA and AAA's dating back to 1997 in our inventory. Have added CR 123's, rechargeable button batteries, 9 volts, C's, D's and more including nicads, nickel metal hydride, Nicads, etc. Just finished my every other month charging of all batteries and checking all devices. Once batteries were swapped in every flashlight, night vision, radio, remote control and more then batteries that were low topped off had roughly 88 AA's and 80 AAA's and a dozen spare CR123's. That's the ability to swap batteries in all critical items twice and with realization some in the rotation are 20 years old. Just bought 32 AA Enelope Pro Nicads with 2,550 mAh capacity and 40 950 mAh Enelope Pro AAA's. Added a dozen CR 123 rechargeable rated at 2,200 mAh and some more C's and D's. The new night vision devices need plenty of batteries to keep them working and rechargables properly charged and refreshed have proven decade to two plus decade lifespan which is pushing my time left as add new into the inventory. Also added another pair of Maha/Powerex smart chargers.

While have plenty of food we continue to add more along with hygiene supplies. Continue to add armor and harden structures to both weapons fire, actual attempts to set the house and other structures on fire, EMP and other threats. Every trip into Wallyworld buy at least a dozen Bic lighters, windproof matches and a few sewing kits. Repair items for stuff like ripped clothing, missing buttons and blown zippers will be important. Wife noticed we had over 200 canisters of propane for Coleman devices and two dozen butane refill cans for lighters and hand torches in one spot and inquired about its safety recently. Showed the automatic fire head above them and reminded her the cover over them was a Level 3a bomb blanket. Basically anything you use regularly and can't make yourself buy enough to keep your family ×4 going a couple of years and ammo for 20 years. Ammo will be worth more than gold ounce for ounce after first six months or less.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018, 01:15   #10
sniperdoc
Registered

Hadn't thought of Batteries, but definitely worth stocking up on some. I'm sure Flashlights will be good barter items as well, since they don't last long.
Condoms would also be valuable, both for "intended purpose" as well as waterproof storage.
Ziploc bags, Aluminum Foil, etc should also make the list.
Old February 27, 2018, 01:00   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
I think toilet paper would be a good investment,maybe I'm wrong.
Meds, preserved foods,blankets, tobacco,alcohol, and "women's hygiene products" all seem like good options as well.
Do you know what elephants use for tp? Sheep
Old February 27, 2018, 07:46   #12
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
- I've got a years worth of my favorite T.P. And when you learn that there are four daughters and a wife in the house, you will know that it is no small amount.
What I am about to tell you is true. My ex went through TP like nobody's business. I bought it and kept it on hand stacked deep after we ran out ONE time. We have been divorced for OVER five years and I have not had to buy any since she moved out.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018, 20:41   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Hadn't thought of Batteries, but definitely worth stocking up on some. I'm sure Flashlights will be good barter items as well, since they don't last long.
Condoms would also be valuable, both for "intended purpose" as well as waterproof storage.
Ziploc bags, Aluminum Foil, etc should also make the list.
Most batteries will die on the shelf unless rechargeable or pay for single use lithium. Lithium batteries are super cool, ten year shelf life, last 8 times longer in most devices than alkaline and weigh 40% less than alkaline or rechargeable nimh. When high altitude mountaineering I always use lithium. Keep them in my can't fail devices and never seen them bust and corrode in a device.

Found an old Garmin GPS last week forgot I had, powered up and worked fine. Opened battery compartment and had a pair of lithium AA's dated 2006. Always write date on sealed packs then transfer date from package to batteries using a Sharpie. How I can be sure if using new batteries in important devices. Even with rechargables use the 20 year old units in remotes and the under two year old in night vision, etc.

If S really HTF what would most people do if could not get new batteries for six or eight years? Whenever I buy a new device buy enough Enelope or PowerEx brand rechargeable to fill it twice and enough lithiums to fill it once minimum. When the new ATN X Sights arrived had to buy a stack of batteries for the scopes and infrared illuminators. Also have some more high power weapons mount U.V. lights to have in case need more U.V. batteries go dead on illuminator using and inopportune time to start digging for batteries. Also all my AR's with night vision have the appropriate stock for carrying proper batteries for device mounted.

Have discover that my Maha/PowerEx chargers work fine off modified square wave inverters but will die if use a cheap square wave. We have mix of square wave, modified square wave and true sine wave inverters for use with devices that need ultra clean power or the cheap square waves for dirty electronic devices and modified square wave for most devices. Good inverters are not cheap and cheap inverters will kill nice electronics. DC to DC battery chargers are nice if have large storage batteries. Don't have to step power up amd convert to AC with inverter then step it down and back to DC with battery charger. Lose about 20% of your available power in the two conversions.

My nice chargers run well off generators if put a decent UPS between the generator and battery charger. Having a couple of nice chargers ensure you can properly break in, charge and refresh your rechargable batteries. Don't choke when realize one charger almost cracks a $100 bill, it's worth it when keeps your batteries going for decades. Slow chargers are better as fast chargers overheat the cells. We misplaced a set of keys today and wife was helping me look through two trucks. She knows have a lot of flashlights in all and spare batteries, but found several bags with two fine steel wool pads and then inside that bag wax a hard plastic box in a sealed bag with 9 volt battery. Asked what we're for so opened one, took out the 9 volt and touched it to the steel wool and she was stunned at the flash. She has lived with me over 25 years and is still suprised at some of my tricks have ready to go.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 02, 2018, 08:54   #14
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Never,EVER,leave alkaline batteries in anything you are not readily using. I find more electronic crap with leaky-assed alkalines in them than I can count. Ruins the battery compartment.Contacts all corroded to hell. Get separate battery cases,and store batteries with you stuff,just not in it.
You can find battery storage cases on ebay and elsewhere. I try to orient all my stuff to use AA batteries,as I have a bunch of nimh AA batteries and chargers. I have had good service from Duracell nimh batteries,though they did produce one line that had a green color on the outside,that were crap.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2018, 11:50   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Nimh and lithiums can generally be left a decade and when found device not ruined. I don't buy any alkaline batteries period. If buy device that comes with them usually give away to my nephew who is retarded anyway. Not really retarded but raised and self trained in being stupid. Had another shipment of batteries arrive this week including some LiPo and other exotics. What many will really hurt for are button batteries for red dot sights and such. They can be purchased in rechargeable versions that have decade or more life treated properly. I want to be able to put charged batteries in every device I own till average life expectancy plus a decade. Why every year put more rechargeables of every flavor in inventory.

A very important item to stock is salt. Have 50 pound bags, restaurant pack containers and lots of plain old Morton salt along with lots of natural Sea Salt that seems to store well vacuum packed. Have more pepper and chili powder than will ever use. When people have to eat tree bark, feral cats and stray dogs not to starve some long storage spices will be very appreciated and costs very little to stockpile large amounts. Enough salt and can pack a deer and keep without refrigeration. In storage shed have over 500 pounds of de-icing salt for driveway and sidewalks. It's the stupid little everyday stuff that will sneak up and piss you off when realize didn't have enough like salt, toilet paper, deoderant and toothpaste.
Old March 03, 2018, 12:15   #16
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
Coffee & toilet paper.

I won't barter my ammo unless absolutely necessary.
Old March 03, 2018, 20:33   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Ammo only shared with people directly helping protect you. Period. Coffee will be careful to barter. Food and meds will be my main trade items except might trade some rimfire for something I might really need as have more than me and my friends can shoot in two lifetimes. Let go of over 50,000 rounds of cheap during Sandy Hook and except for my match ammo that I was shooting, the cheap ammo pile didn't seem to get any smaller.
Old March 05, 2018, 14:32   #18
Wacky D
Registered

FALaholic #: 31951
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Never,EVER,leave alkaline batteries in anything you are not readily using. I find more electronic crap with leaky-assed alkalines in them than I can count. Ruins the battery compartment.Contacts all corroded to hell. Get separate battery cases,and store batteries with you stuff,just not in it.
You can find battery storage cases on ebay and elsewhere. I try to orient all my stuff to use AA batteries,as I have a bunch of nimh AA batteries and chargers. I have had good service from Duracell nimh batteries,though they did produce one line that had a green color on the outside,that were crap.
Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries are excellent, and Costco sells them in bundles with chargers for a good price. Amazon also sells house-branded Eneloops at a low cost, if you're looking to stock up. A little research will tell you which Amazon branded batteries are the Japan made Eneloops and which aren't.
Wacky D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2018, 16:40   #19
sniperdoc
Registered

I'm sure Canned Foods, Cured Meats, Dried Fruits&Nuts, etc, would be very valuable as well.
Old March 05, 2018, 19:47   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Won't likely be trade items but one of my vendors sent out an email saying had fresh supply of 30 caliber API. Had the super hard to find U.S. made T15E1 164 grain API new old stock, not pull down and M14A1E1 148 grain pull downs. Had 308 M61 Armor Piercing Bullets new on clearance along with 174 grain 308 M118 Long Range Match new old stock in original version way cheap. All of these can be difficult to find. Also had some 149 grain Belgian API pull downs. As an FYI there are a lot of companies selling 155 and 187 grain 308 pull downs calling them U.S. issue but will notice have boat tail design which means they are Russian or Chinese 7.62×54 pull downs resized to 308 and have about a 30% failure to properly ignite on impact. Most but not all of the real deal U.S. API has flat bases.

Also had 30 caliber 130 grain Mk 318 Mod O and 62 grain .223 Mk 318 Mod 0 projectiles new in package, not pull downs cheaper than seen ever to my knowledge. Also new were Gen 3 (latest production) 308 and 338 tungsten core AP, along with new Nammo Powerball in 5.56 and 7.62. Like I need more projectiles but finding real U.S. made (Winchester and Remington) API projectiles, Mk 318 Mod 0 new bullets instead of pull downs and unloaded Nammo PowerBall projectiles only not loaded ammo marked LEO/Military letterheads only and went projectile crazy.

Have enough new Mk 318 projectiles in 5.56 and 7.62 don't have to be so stingy with the pull downs have collected even though can buy both loaded without issue as not AP but barrier blind ammo. The 174 grain M118 Long Range Match are going in 300 Win Mag cases and the 338 Gen 3 tungsten will land in 338 Lapua and save me pulling trigger on a 50 BMG if zombies are driving light armored vehicles. Same with the 148 and 164 grain U.S. API for 7.62×51. Those will up the antenna and some of the 164's will likely land in a small batch of 300 Win Mag.

The Nammo Powerball will land in 5.56 and 7.62 NATO but since it's considered an upgrade to M855 green tip and 7.62 Black Tip my guess is from little have fired it's not an equal, much less improvement to M855A1 and M80A1 military issue though both are hard to find and I can't legally buy either of those personally but just through my corporation for ballistic barrier testing not using for home defense. From my interpretation buying restricted ammo is a legal issue for individuals but assembling components that were surplused by dot gov agencies for one reason or another can be loaded to similar specs for personal use without legal implications. Are any of these trade bait? No but now have about 5,000 to 10,000 M855 green tip pull downs that could become trade bait. Have more new green tip projectiles than pull downs and trading them for right items would be much more plausible. What's crazy is email went out vendor had plenty of all to his list and in less than a week most were listed as out of stock.

Still have a fair amount of the loaded IMI green tips from buying pallets before Y2K. Stockpiled so heavy for the projected Y2K collapsed of supply chain am still lobbing ammo and loading components bought in 1999. Always tried to stay a decade or two ahead of the game though Sandy Hook caused a major rift in my match grade 22 rimfire supplies. Trying to rebuild match rimfire is about same price as cheap crap rimfire lately so can't understand people buying the crap. I did load up on some entry grade rimfire a few months ago at $19.99 with free shipping and no sales tax as under $20 per brick was a decent deal and considering what sold for $100 per brick wanted to rebuild some rimfire quantities though sold less than 1/3 of what was in the basement and work.

O.P. said what other than guns and ammo was stockpiling and have input quite a few things am hoarding of late. But O.P. didn't mention components and parts. Have rebuilt my primer inventory to trade bait status again, same with projectiles. Also been loading up on AR parts. Unless find very special barrel not building Leggo's much lately as storage is serious issue. Have a ton of parts though for folks that didn't buy extra extractors, bolt's, carriers or even spare barrels will be able to trade for stuff I may need bad when their beloved AR's break a part. As much armor as I have now and know others stockpiling when SHTF many zombies will grow hard shells and may need to crack some and swapping mags to hard bullets will be easier than picking up bigger rifle most times. Its an effort duplicating milspec loads that land close to where rifle puts standard milspec ammo but it's a worthy cause.
Old March 06, 2018, 10:58   #21
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Found this list in my stash of "Aw shit, here we go." files. Apologies for duplications.

Not sure who to credit for it, but mot mine.

Poor Man’s Barter Items
1.Candles
2.Garden tools
3.Fly swatters
4.Insect spray
5.Rat & mouse poison
6.Rodent traps
7.Scissors
8.Needles
9.Straight pins
10.Safety pins
11.Buttons
12.Thread
13.Elastic-material
14.Dry beans
15.Rice
16.Noodles
17.Flour
18.Spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice, sage, parsley etc.
19.Coffee
20.Cooking Oil
21.Coffee filters
22.Pepper
23.Sugar
24.Salt
25.Hand crank or manual can openers
26.Canned food – any type
27.Wooden, strike anywhere matches
28.Old newspapers
29.Wax for fire-starting
30.Large cotton balls with soaked in petroleum jelly (also for starting fires)
31.Bleach (or freshly made pool shock)
32.Baby wipes (Note: these can be used to clean face, hands, arm pits, groin in case there is no water. If dried out, pour in a cup of water into container)
33.Cocoa
34.Baking Soda
35.Spirits: wine, whisky, beer, vodka, brandy
36.Coloring books & crayons
37.Scrap paper
38.Pencils
39.Ballpoint pens
40.Copy paper
41.Lined notebook paper
42.Tooth paste
43.Toothbrushes
44.Dental floss
45.Combs
46.Hair brushes
47.Disposable razors
48.Nail clippers and files
49.Feminine products
50.Bars of soap
51.Toilet paper
52.Hair pins
53.Batteries
54.Cigarettes
55.Tobacco
56.Cigarette lighters
Old March 07, 2018, 02:45   #22
Flatfour
Registered

FALaholic #: 75668
I'm with Bawana and Brunop. I'd rather just make sure I stock up what our home may need, and should times demand it be deep enough in it to be able to trade or be charitable with neighbors. Hope they like oatmeal.
Flatfour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2018, 07:52   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Above post #27 wooden strike anywhere matches and #56 lighters.

Have a lot of strike anywhere matchest but due to experience in moist humid environments prefer waterproof, windproof "stormproof" matches.

Incoming packages for storage and distribution.

Where I pile butane for refillable lighters till get enough cans to fill a fireproof/waterproof box.

Butane powered torches, soldering irons and such will be super handy.

I bring in a pack of Bic lighters almost every week, before adding to current container filling remove the stupid child safety plates that make them almost impossible to use wearing gloves or if have arthritis in hands.

This is very important on my list and Wallyworld has dozens of different small to medium sewing kits and patch kits. Most of their patches are iron on so must have ability to make heat and pressure.

Bet I have a 100 or more of these adhesive military field patch kits. Stick one in back of every IFAK as take up zero room, every pack, kit, etc. Can use like duct tape but only stickier. And speaking of duct tape, always have a few rolls of Gorilla brand duct tape and don't freak at the $10 per roll price, it's three times stickier and stronger than normal duct tape and much more U.V. stable.

Another necessity is clean underwear. Have around 20 to 30 packs of shrapnel shorts or "pugs" as some branches call them. Have light ballistic capabilities and antimicrobial. Are designed to be worn many days in harsh conditions and not get some rash on your privates. In addition to these have good quality new underwear in packages along with cases of adult "Depends" as in SHTF scenario may just be those times have to wet your pants and disposable drawers that wick urine away from skin is highly tactical.

Baby wipes were mentioned. We buy them at the dollar store. Amazing how large of a container can buy for a buck. Also keep hundreds of smaller packages for easy carry. And yes, if dry out just add a little clean, filtered water and can take what have heard referred to in the old days as a "hobo bath". If your clean, have clean underwear, non tattered clothing, ability to make fire and food along with the expected items like guns and ammo your going to be much better off than most and if have enough to trade will own some folks souls that didn't prep well.

Recently Kroger has been running a mega-sale sale on their 18 count packs of Scott toilet paper and additional $5 off electronic coupon on their Kroger App can use five times per visit. Wife and I added twenty more packs for 360 rolls. Toilet paper is bulky and takes storage room but a clean @$$ is a happy @$$.
Old March 13, 2018, 16:47   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Honestly have more ammo at home than can shoot post SHTF without dying from inhalation of lead & mercury fumes. Have mix of over 100,000 M855 green tip ready to fire & enough green tip projectiles, powder & primers to refill it all a few times. Add in M193, Mk 318, lots of specialty 5.56 and likely have a quarter million rounds plus the 6.8 inventory keeps getting fatter plus been boarding M80 for the 30 calibers long as 5.56.

Have enough rimfire to keep a couple dozen 12 year old girls and their crack hoe momma's lobbing rimfire for decades. Had over a quarter million pre Sandy Hook. Most of the ZQI from the hear or so of Wallboard clearancing was mostly canned and stored in OSHA fire lockers at work. All the 7.62x39 found at deals (70% steel core) over past decade is at work plus lots of 5.56 and some 6.8 plus 6XC as feel work needs at least one tactical sniper type rifle. Had 2,400 rounds of IMI M855 show up today from Midway's clearance last week so boxed it in ammo cans, purged with nitrogen and in a locker it went. Now the issue. With my range ammo for shops indoor range am out of locker space unless buy another OSHA fire rated explosion proof locker.

Since business is a concrete building with only two real windows that are bullet resistant and have steel bars. All doors are steel force rated entry mounted in steel frames set in concrete walls. Building had a flat rubber roof that began leaking so did a metal truss system with pitched 75 year warranty metal roof. Has rest rooms, ham radio room, bedroom, Faraday cages and gun safe with enough rifles is a viable hunker down & ride it out location but with the Ponderosa only eight miles away odds are most of this extra stuff has to get moved under stressful conditions to the house. Always figured enough guns, ammo, water and food to stay if need or if worst case and had catastrophic house fire that either station four miles either direction didn't stop had enough equipment at work to start over immediately. Have full gun safe and parts to build at least two dozen more rifles. Have same at farm and fourth redundant fall back location which is forcing me to ask the question, how much is enough? Can you have too much? Actually have over 100 bullet resistant vests organized and stored in one of the offices. If Trump visits the proposal law enforcement is encouraging him to sign and ban civilian sales of body armor that becomes a gold mine. If he doesn't & S does not HTF then it just becomes old Kevlar. Starting to wonder...
Old April 09, 2018, 09:30   #25
2barearms
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Reality and fantasy.......in the middle of a life ending crisis you’ll have no one to trade anything but gunfire with. Only your closest pals won’t be on the kill list.
The dead won’t need their supplies.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2018, 10:36   #26
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Reality and fantasy.......in the middle of a life ending crisis you’ll have no one to trade anything but gunfire with. Only your closest pals won’t be on the kill list.
I am seeing it here now, how much of your preps can you take with you if you are forced out? Once the state declares you a felon for what you legally own today what good will them preps do you?
Old April 09, 2018, 13:28   #27
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Sadly, you just told a plain truth!

People go nuts now in the best of times when just bumped, being knocked down hard on their collective asses, they will be insane.

Old April 09, 2018, 16:31   #28
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Only your closest pals won’t be on the kill list.
Well then, I'm gonna make a 'don't kill unless necessary' list. That way I won't get writer's cramp.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2018, 18:46   #29
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
Well then, I'm gonna make a 'don't kill unless necessary' list. That way I won't get writer's cramp.

Old April 12, 2018, 03:46   #30
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
I am seeing it here now, how much of your preps can you take with you if you are forced out? Once the state declares you a felon for what you legally own today what good will them preps do you?
See Yellowhand's signature line. At age and point of life that acquired all my stuff well withi the rules and if they change that much well hate to be to poor souls sent to collect it up. Better if they task a drone strike on me. Ain't doing anything wrong but piling up food, medicine and ammo. That becomes illegal I don't want to play anymore.
Old April 12, 2018, 10:41   #31
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

We can only be labeled outlaws once by the state, after that, we can decide on our on labels..

I for some reason, really like Rebel.
Simple, clear, and recognized by most for what it is.

Old April 12, 2018, 12:11   #32
rtracy111
Registered

FALaholic #: 46509
Well, I tend bees, have a fully functional butcher shop, have been making beer and wine for years, you can ferment anything, might have been playing with a kettle and thumper for a couple years, have heritage seeds for everything I like to eat out of a garden, there is enough dry goods in the basement for 10 bodies to cover at least 18 months, a couple hundred pint of canned beef, chicken and pork, rotate stock yearly at butcher time, have a canner that will put out 20 qt or at least 40 pt a shot, 3 beef in the field, still need to finish the hog lot. I buy every glass canning jar I find at yard sales, not sure how many cases of canning lids I have. My objective is to be the markentile if shit goes bad. If you have not looked into it, go out and buy a mylar bag sealer, pint, quart and gallon bags. Go online and order dehydrated beans, carrots, onions, green beans, mushrooms, cabbage, apples, shit any fruit or vegetable you can think of, 50 lbs bags are very inexpensive. Get some dehydrated gravies and cheese sauces Get a case of seal pouches, they obsorb o2 and moisture and will vacuum the bag down. 30 year shelf life on most if not all dehydrated items placed inside. 1000.00 buck spread out over a year and you can eat for months. I have bagged full mealsl of beef stew, potatoes stroganoff, lasagna many different kinds of soup. All you need is a pot and some water.
rtracy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018, 12:17   #33
rtracy111
Registered

As for what I can take with me, a month or so in food. I am not leaving, I promise, if they want it bad enough, some are going with me. Bug out or bug in, that's the choice you make both have bad and good. My opinion in a true end of the world as we know it situation. It will be ugly for 6 months and really bad for another 4 maybe 6, if you make it past the first 6 your good and if you don't then well your line probably ended you you. Good luck!
Old April 12, 2018, 14:19   #34
sniperdoc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtracy111 View Post
Well, I tend bees, have a fully functional butcher shop, have been making beer and wine for years, you can ferment anything, might have been playing with a kettle and thumper for a couple years, have heritage seeds for everything I like to eat out of a garden, there is enough dry goods in the basement for 10 bodies to cover at least 18 months, a couple hundred pint of canned beef, chicken and pork, rotate stock yearly at butcher time, have a canner that will put out 20 qt or at least 40 pt a shot, 3 beef in the field, still need to finish the hog lot. I buy every glass canning jar I find at yard sales, not sure how many cases of canning lids I have. My objective is to be the markentile if shit goes bad. If you have not looked into it, go out and buy a mylar bag sealer, pint, quart and gallon bags. Go online and order dehydrated beans, carrots, onions, green beans, mushrooms, cabbage, apples, shit any fruit or vegetable you can think of, 50 lbs bags are very inexpensive. Get some dehydrated gravies and cheese sauces Get a case of seal pouches, they obsorb o2 and moisture and will vacuum the bag down. 30 year shelf life on most if not all dehydrated items placed inside. 1000.00 buck spread out over a year and you can eat for months. I have bagged full mealsl of beef stew, potatoes stroganoff, lasagna many different kinds of soup. All you need is a pot and some water.
I know how to can Veggies /Fruits, but I desperately need info on how to can meats
Old April 13, 2018, 13:46   #35
rtracy111
Registered

Go out and buy a ball canning book. I will look if I remember when I get home and confirm but if memory serves I believe. It 1 hour 45 min for pints and 2 hour for quarts. It will tell you to brown the meat before starting I don't. All that does is make it look better in the jars. Pack the meat in the jar and add 1 t. For pint 2 t. Qt salt cover with boiling water, I add a good quality bullion to the broth unless butchering then I cook down the bones and add that. Use a fork or butter knife the get air pockets out. Start with the water temp in the canner warm not to hot, I have found that if the water is too hot you will lose a couple jar, they Crack. Fill canner and run the above time at again I believe 10 lbs. If you don't already know it you can stack jars on top one another, just put a wire rack between layers. Mainly do pint some quarts and am thinking about some half pints also. We butcher a cow 2 hogs and between 60 and a 100 chickens every year. When butcher time rolls around we start canning every thing in the freezer. I know it sound like a lot but 4 sons and a daughter. We go through it. Cut the meat into chunks whatever size you like. Usually about one inch squares. Beef makes the best burrito, barbecue, soup stews. And remember it is fully cooked, you can eat it out of the jars. Pork great sandwiches, chicken noodle soup pot pies. Damn, getting hungry. Quick meal too.
Old April 13, 2018, 13:53   #36
rtracy111
Registered

Sniper doc

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2...ning-meat.html
Old April 16, 2018, 19:42   #37
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
I know how to can Veggies /Fruits, but I desperately need info on how to can meats
Your state land grant university system will have an extension service.
A genuine wealth of information and services for things associated with being self sufficient.

Here is a link to the Washington state extension.
http://extension.wsu.edu/clark/healthwellness/

And look, here's yours.
https://extension.tennessee.edu/Pages/default.aspx

I believe all states have an extension service and should have a lot of info available online.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018, 20:13   #38
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
Lots of info on line and quite a bit in the Ball Blue Book

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote