The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old March 11, 2018, 14:11   #1
deerollman
Registered

FALaholic #: 18699
AR 223 magazine recommendations

One thing I'm short on is ar mags and I'm not well versed on anything AR. I'm looking to buy 10-20. I'm wondering what people think is a good blend between quality and price. I want mags that will work reliably at a good price, I don't need view windows or anything fancy. Just reliability. Thanks
deerollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 14:14   #2
ColeKira
Registered

FALaholic #: 73385
I like my $10 Magpul Gen 2 mags. Never had an issue with them.
ColeKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 14:30   #3
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Cheap ass GI mags, pawn shop specials around most Army bases.

Buy'em cheap, and check them for fit and function, fix any that don;t work, and up your number to 30 or 40, per gun, they tend to vanish quickly when "working".

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 16:34   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Palmetto had a sale for D&H at $7.99 with free shipping on ten mags when I checked Friday.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 16:51   #5
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
PSA sells DH made mags with their logo on them. They are aluminum and have grey/green anti-tilt followers. I got mine at $6 ea., but they may be a couple bucks more at this time.
So far, have no problems with them.

The Mako E-Lander Steel .223/5.56 NATO AR-15 Magazine is a tough mag and are surprisingly cheap. Last I seen was around $8 per mag.

C Products makes good mags if you happen onto some.

Brownells AR-15 30Rd Magazine CS 223/5.56 are good if equipped with anti-tilt followers as I believe the current crop is.

YH's suggestion is a good one and I pick up cheap GI mags when I find them, but around here, they are not very plentiful.
Old March 11, 2018, 17:04   #6
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I've got great 20 round mags where they are held together with grey duck tape, the tabs are busted off the base plates.

If a mag loads and works, low price of it means nuthin.

And AR's are about as proven a system as the AK.

Mags included.

The way things are today, buying more mags every chance I can find them cheap, used, old and worn, so long as they work or can be made to work.

Got plenty of duck tape.

Old March 11, 2018, 17:46   #7
old_spambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 75387
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Palmetto had a sale for D&H at $7.99 with free shipping on ten mags when I checked Friday.
These are excellent magazines.

Spambo
old_spambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 18:03   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Agreed, have had $8 mags available so long following end of Sandy Hook people are complacent. Stacked 20 round metric FAL mags till cleaned two vendors out of their $7.99 milspec units. Loaded up on 30 round inch while they were under $30 and both have doubled or tripled in past year. 30 round AR mags will be selling for $30 each or more in four years if Trump doesn't run a second term and may go crazy sooner rather than later. Have crates of AR mags in 5.56 and 6.8 wrapped 10 to bunch in shrink wrap just as packaged when left Palmetto or other vendors. Bet I have added 500 new and 200 used in past couple of years. Think manufacturers are selling at minimum possible if figure materials, manufacturing, distribution, shipping and a buck in profit right now. Never be cheaper.

Check this link regular, if willing to tap out a few dents and repair a few feed lips all of his $6 used Uncle Sugar mags have worked flawlessly either out of box or with tad of tweaking. Hit them with thin coat of flat black from rattle can and crate them. Next freak out can advertise on forums, carry around locally and make 5x original investment. Better than stocks or precious metals.

https://mcgunshow.com/collections/magazines

Midways 27 cents per round on IMI M855 green tip price last week was so good after 1,200 rounds on first order pondered and realized were $3 each for a few weeks just recently when BATFE ruled them as AP handgun ammo. That concept will return and though I have five figures in handloaded green tips plus enough projectiles to refill all those cases three times with new and pull down M855 projectiles, can't sell handloads so needed more neckbearding hoard. If go back to $3 each that's an 11x increase in value and still have half a pallet of IMI factory loaded from pre Y2K hoarding that didn't sell all of during Sandy Hook.

Now tapped two mini bump fire panics and sold six stocks for total of $1,500 profit. Week long height of Green Tip panic made $800 because plenty to spare in hand. Sandy Hook let go of over 100 bricks of rimfire at average of $68 per brick as was giving away to some and trading some for home baked pies. Could have averaged $100 per if greedy. Sold SKS, AK or AR per week during that panic with ammo included in every deal. Why am able to stack $399 to $449 AR's and build like free now. If able to provide mags and ammo with each rifle your the king of neckbeards. Very few people could sell someone a rifle, magazines and ammo in package deal. SKS's paid $79 for with 600 round tins of ammo were 10x markup. Did better with AK's and AR's, AK's with six mags & 600 rounds of ammo were a 14x markup from originial purchase.

Anyone that can drop $400 for an AR, $100 in mags plus $500 in ammo and strap that up in big pile together will be able to flip each "unit" for $2,000 to $3,000 or more sooner than you think. Keep it all clean and dry including boxes. If can sit on it a decade another bubble will come along. If you die before can cash in leave to heir that has enough sense to sit on it till next panic is full swing. Over half my total inventory has been financed by Bush Ban, Obama election/Sandy Hook and other mini bubbles/panics. More you have to sell without dropping personal inventory to danger level, more you make. These are the days we will talk about for the next century, a decent AR was more in 1987 than in 2017. 30 year all time low, stock brokers would say Buy, Buy, Buy.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 11, 2018, 18:09   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

I surly hope that you are using the Huey approved GORILLA Duct Tape? It's reported to be the strongest , and of course, there's nothing is too good for keeping our gunny type equipment together.

It may even serve the added advantage of preventing the wrong end of the mag being inserted in the rifle, a condition that may have occurred in the exciting times by someone I know quite well.
Old March 11, 2018, 20:04   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
I surly hope that you are using the Huey approved GORILLA Duct Tape? It's reported to be the strongest , and of course, there's nothing is too good for keeping our gunny type equipment together.

It may even serve the added advantage of preventing the wrong end of the mag being inserted in the rifle, a condition that may have occurred in the exciting times by someone I know quite well.

An old boy got his forearm cut to the bone, wrist to elbow, just skinned it right up and nearly off, and my bag was well away from the helo, where I working.
Crew chief handed me a roll of duck tape, wrap, wrap, wrap, meat back about where it belong and on the copter he went.
Took a while to live that one down.

Old March 11, 2018, 21:03   #11
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post

An old boy got his forearm cut to the bone, wrist to elbow, just skinned it right up and nearly off, and my bag was well away from the helo, where I working.
Crew chief handed me a roll of duck tape, wrap, wrap, wrap, meat back about where it belong and on the copter he went.
Ah, yes...

Duct tape and superglue, the two miracle medical 'devices'...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 22:10   #12
hokey45
Registered

FALaholic #: 41407
Quote:
The Mako E-Lander Steel .223/5.56 NATO AR-15 Magazine is a tough mag and are surprisingly cheap. Last I seen was around $8 per mag.
Ditto on the E-Lander mags. These are very well made and heavy duty.
hokey45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 09:02   #13
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokey45 View Post
Ditto on the E-Lander mags. These are very well made and heavy duty.
Yup, but don't look like they can be found exactly "cheap" anymore.
Old March 12, 2018, 11:22   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:

Have IFAK and med kit in every truck. At work have First Aid kits on several walls plus a big kit keep in cleanest office. 90% of time when pick up a cut most would seek medical care and stitches use a piece of paper towel and either masking or duct tape to cover and get it pulled together during initial bleed period. Like to let a wound bleed a little as good way to self clean. Soon as blood stops seeping out of edge of paper towel and tape bandage pull it off and rinse it good with laquor thinner, precleaner & wax remover or paint reducer. Wrap back up a little while with fresh paper towel and tape then when have time go to office rinse with alcohol then push together, coat well with the good Gorilla Brand superglue and hold in place till dries then bandage it tight with real bandage. 90% of time it's last time have to deal with other than to add a little more superglue and rebandage for next day or three. Piece of paper towel and tape is a great bandage for shop use as can get entire wound covered.
Old March 13, 2018, 11:36   #15
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I have five Troy mags and a bunch of Gen. 2 and 3 PMags- 2 40 rounders- that work flawlessly in my AR and XCR.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 11:45   #16
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I'm with Mr. W.E.G. in recommending Vietnam era 20-rounders with cast metal followers.

Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 12:11   #17
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
My favorite as well, hard to find though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
I'm with Mr. W.E.G. in recommending Vietnam era 20-rounders with cast metal followers.

paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 15:23   #18
hokey45
Registered

FALaholic #: 41407
Quote:
Yup, but don't look like they can be found exactly "cheap" anymore.
I bought some from Midsouth. Looks like they are out of 30's but still have 10's and 40's. Not cheap though.
hokey45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 18:35   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I consider my old stock 20 rounders as too valuable for daily use. Especially if have Pony markings on bottom. Have a few in my world just went sideways kits but saving most for the end of civilization as 20 rounders issued to conscripts equal more mag swaps which equals less ammo wasted and more cooling cycles for rifles. Always use old stock 20 rounders shooting off rest at range as 30's are too long.
Old March 15, 2018, 10:26   #20
recon-1
Registered

FALaholic #: 3558
I have bought from this guy in the past. Prices are okay.
http://www.44mag.com/category/223_ar15_magazines
Old March 15, 2018, 10:37   #21
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I like lancers.

I went from GI to the Lancers. Never cared for magpuls.
Old March 15, 2018, 11:19   #22
recon-1
Registered

Question

So why do like the lancer over magpul?
Old March 15, 2018, 11:28   #23
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

lancer metal at mag catch vs plastic magpul
lancer metal feedlips vs plastic magpul

magpul, not being GI spec at the bolt stop cutout, don't work in a SCAR 16
Old March 15, 2018, 11:32   #24
recon-1
Registered

And not big on GI mags either?
Old March 15, 2018, 12:29   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Would rather have ten Lancer than 50 P Mags. Would be dam sure the Lancer work while always worried about the P Mags swelling up so fat in ta hot truck won't come out or go in a in-spec magwell.
Old March 15, 2018, 12:42   #26
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Would rather have ten Lancer than 50 P Mags. Would be dam sure the Lancer work while always worried about the P Mags swelling up so fat in ta hot truck won't come out or go in a in-spec magwell.
I've had loaded PMags in my truck on a 120 degree day. I even left one on the dash to sate my curiosity, again loaded. No deformation at all. While hot, they fit in two XCRs and three AR's. Find something else to worry about.

There is not a problem that government cannot make worse.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 12:58   #27
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon-1 View Post
And not big on GI mags either?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I went from GI to the Lancers.
I went from GI to Lancer without P-mags as a transitional step.

I think the plastic Lancer is a material improvement over aluminum GI. I never felt unworthy with my old GI mags. I was not comfortable with plastic feedlips, and a plastic notch interfacing a steel mag catch. So I never jumped on the P-mag bandwagon. I went 15 years with P-mags available, and kept my GI. Had a hundred of them loaded for Y2K.

When the Lancer came out with the steel feed lips and steel to steel mag catch interface, on a plastic magazine body, I bought some and abused them. I was pleased.

I don't like mixing mag types. So I sold all my GI mags and now have only Lancers.

I do find loading them a little more difficult. There is less space between the front of the bullet and front of the mag body, so OAL is important. The spring feels heavier on the last few rounds, than on a GI mag. But then, my GI mags were much older and with the Lancers all new, I suspect with enough cycles the springs will take their initial set and loading them will become easier.

Last edited by gunplumber; March 15, 2018 at 13:09.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 13:06   #28
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

I like Lancers and even have a coupla PMags.
After the vintage USGI 20's, my bestest mags are NHMTG 20's and 30's.
NHMTG is defunct now and D&H is currently one of the main USGI contractors and made in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin (say that 5 times fast!).

https://www.dhmetalstamping.com/tact...ons-magazines/
Old March 15, 2018, 13:49   #29
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Adventureline 20's and Lancers are the vast majority of mine.

I have a few used PMags that I've gotten in parts lots and they are range mags. Any PMag still in the wrapper gets marked up a few bucks and they fly off the table at the gunshow.
Old March 15, 2018, 16:11   #30
Grinder
Registered

FALaholic #: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
magpul, not being GI spec at the bolt stop cutout, don't work in a SCAR 16
The new Gen3 Pmags work fine in my Scar16s
Grinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 16:28   #31
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
The new Gen3 Pmags work fine in my Scar16s
yes, and you can modify the older ones by cutting the V to U in the rear.
Old March 15, 2018, 19:10   #32
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I've had loaded PMags in my truck on a 120 degree day. I even left one on the dash to sate my curiosity, again loaded. No deformation at all. While hot, they fit in two XCRs and three AR's. Find something else to worry about.
I got a deal on a bunch of P Mags after Sandy Hook panic subsided and one of my local vendors had several thousand in stock a point slowly and ran a super sale plus cut additional discount when I offered to take 50 in one transaction. Loaded sixteen with 28 rounds per mag l, put one in a 5.56 SBR and the other fifteen in a MTM magazine box designed to hold them in upright position. SBR stayed in rack beside the bed and the box with 15 mags set beside the night stand my BiPap ASV machine and 1911 sits on.

About six to eight months later decided it was time to rotate rifles, make sure all were still well oiled and all mags were happy. Actually had another of the MTM boxes on other side of bed with fifteen 6.8 spc II stainless steel magazines loaded 22 rounds each and a 6.8 with mag ready to go. I could not get the P Mag out of the rifle to save my silly @$$. Yanked, tugged, wiggled, oiled, beat and finally cycled all the rounds out of it thinking delivering the pressure would help. Still no go and halved the AR and used a block of wood and mallet to beat the thing out. Four of the other fifteen would not go in the magwell unless I wanted to use the mallet.

Immediately was worried had an out of spec lower so grabbed a Smith M&P 15 and a Colt SP1. Those five mags would not go in any of the three and the two I finally forced didn't come out without beating them out using the block of wood and the mallet. Took them to LGS and three employees tried them in about ten different rifles and they would not go in without force and we were not about to pound them in new rifles with a hammer. Pulled a dozen more out of that batch, loaded them 28 rounds each, left in gun room which is in our cool basement and three of the twelve swelled to point would not fit in any AR 15 I tried out of a half dozen of or so.

Maybe I got a bad batch, maybe they just don't like me but I don't like them either. But out of 28 unpackaged, loaded with 28 rounds each eight swelled to point of becoming useless unless want a fixed magazine rifle so we're they not 30 rounders would be perfect for California. That was almost a 1 of 3.5 failure rate. Just before the Bush ban started bought a big pile of Ramline polymer magazines and everyone split at rear corners and front corners of feed lips. Just before Y2K was doing the mega prep buying ammo by pallets with drop gate road tractors backing trailers to garage door found a large quantity of Thermold clear Lexan 30/40 round extendable mags that were supposed to work in both AR 15's and Mini 14's. Most were left in wrappper but maker said collapsed worked like standard 30, extended they either held 40 short term or 30 for an unlimited period of time. Loaded up ten or so fully extended left loaded with 30 rounds and inside of 90 days more had split down rear seam than had not. Unloaded them all, trashed the split units and left the rest in the wrapper to discover a few years later that even the ones sealed in wrappers had split as well. So three mega buys of polymer mags and three massive failures.

When I saw Lancer L5 series bought some, worked fine and bought more. Collected quite a few and never had a single issue with any. Now with the Lancer L7 series tested the supposed 5.56 magazines with both 6.8 spc II and 22 Nosler. Learned if didn't get greedy they worked just fine in cartridges they were not supposed to handle. Can't load them much more than half full but feed and function perfectly. With 5.56 can shove them to max capacity and leave them loaded so long forgot how long they had been stuffed. So polymer bodies with metal feed lips like a stainless slide in stainless rails on polymer frame SIGs, have now found one polymer mag and one polymer frame pistol I trust but all of the P Mags own now (probably around 200 as still buy if super cheap) stay sealed in wrappers and will be sold first when next run on magazines begins. Other than flipping for a profit have zero use for P Mags. Know Marines and Army medivac crews are using P Mags as well as other units but doubt I will ever take one out of its wrapper with intent to use. That just leaves more for the rest of y'all. Now have 90 of the new tan metal M855A1 magazines crated and still looking for more deals as milspec always has a following and now have a huge number of M855A1 stockpiled so figure may as well use the magazines designed for them to save wear of feed ramps if that really is an issue.
Old March 15, 2018, 20:12   #33
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

OLD school, still my go to, 20 round Colt military mags.

Before I retired, more than a few followed me home and mama said I could keep them.

Old March 16, 2018, 00:00   #34
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
I like Lancers and even have a coupla PMags.
After the vintage USGI 20's, my bestest mags are NHMTG 20's and 30's.
NHMTG is defunct now and D&H is currently one of the main USGI contractors and made in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin (say that 5 times fast!).

[/URL]
I think NHMTG is Okay/Surefeed now; same people making them with different name on the floorplate.
Old March 16, 2018, 06:09   #35
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
I think NHMTG is Okay/Surefeed now; same people making them with different name on the floorplate.
I think you are right, Mebs.
Okay Industries has been a magazine contractor since VN.
Colt floor plate 20's and 30's have usually been NHMTG and now Okay, also.
Thanks for the correction.
Old March 18, 2018, 07:13   #36
paulo
Registered

So there is no difference between Okay and NHMTG? On the 44mag web site they both listed, Okay are $12.50 and NHMTG are $24.99. Any thoughts on the price difference?
Thanks
Old March 18, 2018, 07:39   #37
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo View Post
So there is no difference between Okay and NHMTG? On the 44mag web site they both listed, Okay are $12.50 and NHMTG are $24.99. Any thoughts on the price difference?
Thanks
NHMTG is now out of business, so they are becoming scarce on the *new" retail market.
That is the only reason I can fathom for the price difference.
If the 30 round Okay mags are a dry lube finish with Magpul follower they are effectively the same.
If the 20 round Okay mags are dry lube with a plastic follower, shaped ike the old cast metal followers, they are same also.
The difference between all of the above is essentially the floor plate.

Last edited by TenTea; March 18, 2018 at 07:52.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:20   #38
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I am looking at 2 straight 20s right now; one is Okay and the other NHMTG. The Okay is black ptfe finish, the NHMTG is dry film, but otherwise they are the same thing, and they both did the same thing at the range. You can get the Okay in either finish at 44MAG.
Old March 18, 2018, 09:19   #39
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

C Products still around? They were in Great Britain CT, IIRC. Rumored to have provided mags to Colt at one time.
Old March 18, 2018, 09:37   #40
paulo
Registered

You can get the Okay in the dry finish as well. If the only differance is the name on the bottom...... looks like Okay is the better deal. Get some cast followers from Madsen and call it a day. Save the Colt mags for the collector value?
Iím looking at the 20 round mags.

Last edited by paulo; March 18, 2018 at 09:38. Reason: Add
Old March 18, 2018, 13:43   #41
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo View Post
Thanks
It was my understanding, same machines produced both, company just changed hands, as the military contracts came and went, to produce mags over the decades.
I've got both and they are identical.

Price differences;?????

People get convinced of this or that and will pay far more for same exact thing, except for what's stamped on the bottom.

Old March 19, 2018, 09:33   #42
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
It was my understanding, same machines produced both, company just changed hands, as the military contracts came and went, to produce mags over the decades.
I've got both and they are identical.

Price differences;?????

People get convinced of this or that and will pay far more for same exact thing, except for what's stamped on the bottom.
Put a Pony on it and I will pay more just because it will sell for more eventually but have my lifetime allotment already.
Old March 19, 2018, 13:09   #43
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

I've often wondered, how many people, with a ?? steel mandrel and a couple of metal punches are "making" Colt magazines out in their garages????

I've got a lot of military straight 20 round magazines, and can't tell the difference between the Colts and the non Colts, except for the floor plates and the little C stamp on the bodies.

Looking at what I have on hand, they all function with or without a little C or base plate Colt stamp exactly the same, as in, most likely came off the same machine, just having one batch marked this and one marked that.

Might as well sell my "Colts" and use the money to buy nice new ones, my Colts are getting old.

Old March 20, 2018, 06:43   #44
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Maybe an enterprising soul will be selling Colt marked floorplates on ebay or alibaba soon. After all, you can buy on ebay punches so you can get a few promag 1911 and hipower magazines, add a few waffenmark chickens, and then they are utrarare never used SS magazines!
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 08:03   #45
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Intentional fakery has been common in the gun world for a century...why stop now?
Old March 20, 2018, 09:27   #46
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Be a lot easier to send one Colt floor plate to a Chinese vendor already repoping AR mags and order 100,000 floor plates with Colt stamps. Of course you have to be able to lay down and sleep at night and sure there are folks already doing this to different degrees.

Used to be a junk yard in North Metro ATL area that owner removed VIN plate. Fender tag(s) and build sheet if found plus othe odds and ends before crushing. Owner pitched them all in a big box till full and then filled another for over 40 years. Height of his business was 1980 through Y2K when gas guzzling rusty American made cars were worth more as mix scrap as weighe'd more so thats what the scrap junkies looked for.

Friend and I used to ride down the road and knew what a Chrysler would scrap for, make a lowball offer and on our trailer it went to the scrap yard. We pulled five Dodge and Plymouth Chargers, Challengers and even a Cuda from behind an elderly ladies house whose husband died. We did at least pull the Hemi from one with four speed and the 440 from the Charger which was a numbers matching slapstick with all the features would love to have now. All then went straight to crusher for beer money.

Fast forward to 2001/2002 and owner of junkyard was in forced retirement due to health reasons when owner of a hot rod restoration shop who knew what guy had as scavenged parts from his 50 plus acres of uncrushed cars. Came in picked out about 20 generic Chrysler, Chevy and Ford cars then negotiated all the boxes of VIN plates, Fender Tags and build sheets for $10,000 cash and spent next year matching VINS, Fender Tags and build sheets till had dozens that belonged to high five to six figure restored hotrods, found host bodies and started cranking out rotisserie restorations at height of the muscle car collector prices. Many are considered "the standard" as to verifying authenticity of other carsl

Finding a "C" stamp and ordering up 100,000 floor plates would be easy but only issue is them darn Chinese would then catch on and start selling Colt marked floor plates on fleabay arriving in packages marked "for airsoft use". If we're able to do yourself in small machine shop in 20 years the fakes may become the gold standard by which originals are judged by if enough saturated the market. Why I look really close at any SP1 and make sure every part is right.
Old March 20, 2018, 09:32   #47
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Maybe my buildy-fu is just exceptional, but I own P-mags, Troys, ProMags and GIs, and have never had issue with any of them, running 5.56 or 300BO. the 42rd ProMags are a little snug in my BO pistol built on a SanTan billet lower (if you're a lefty this is the receiver dreams are made of!), but still functions fine.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 15:00   #48
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Maybe an enterprising soul will be selling Colt marked floorplates on ebay or alibaba soon. After all, you can buy on ebay punches so you can get a few promag 1911 and hipower magazines, add a few waffenmark chickens, and then they are utrarare never used SS magazines!
People been doing it with paintings for ages, as some one else here commented, been going on with firearms as well forever.

As for magazines for any type weapon, if it works as designed in your firearm, you're good to go.

I picked up four of those Korean mags for FALs a while back @ 5 bucks a pop.
Took about ten minutes for each, but they now work fine, ok, one might need some more tinkering around, but it will be fine.

Once I get these figured out, all working properly, they're going to be fine, for ME.

If it works as designed, who cares who made them or when it was made????

Old March 21, 2018, 02:57   #49
MistWolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 7435
Colt, Okay, Surefeed, NHMTG and Magpul are the magazine brands I've had good luck with. For 20 rounders, Colts have worked the best. I just got some Lancer mags as a birthday present, 5.56 & 308 but I haven't had a chance to try them yet.