Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old May 16, 2017, 08:47   #1
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Security System??? Recommendations??

We're moving in about a week to the mini ranch. It's a subdivision with 5 acre lots. I've want to consider a security system as the neighbors are about 200 yids away on each side. My 1st project will be to erect a fence with a gate across the front and to block the driveway. That way people just can't drive in with a vehicle and have egress to load up stuff.

I've been looking at the Simplisafe product. It's wireless and you can have it monitored. Would you worry about motion sensors? I think if I use entry sensors that I would be GTG. Lots of windows in the house.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 09:22   #2
AZ Dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7882
I have simplisafe and I love it. I have motion detectors,entry sensors and 2 smoke alarms. They have cameras now as well.
Old May 16, 2017, 09:58   #3
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
Have the place well lit, no windows obscured by bushes, and a few ADT signs visible and you're good to go. It's all about getting the crooks to move on to your neighbor's place.

Actually, I have a system, and most of the time it's off because of the kids. Can't use motion sensors because of pets. We have good insurance and I have a separate policy for the guns. The best part of the system, IMO, is the smoke alarm. When it goes off, the fire department is automatically called and they show up in less than 5 minutes. .
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 10:36   #4
slavicshooter
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
I have found that my " Mrs.ss lives here" signs placed around the property work quite well. My friends, family, and neighbors routinely do " well being" checks on me, due to the effectiveness of our security system. I've even heard there's a support group in town for burglars who have just SEEN the signs.~ss
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch
" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 11:03   #5
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Dave View Post
I have simplisafe and I love it. I have motion detectors,entry sensors and 2 smoke alarms. They have cameras now as well.
This here also....works very well. The motion sensors are dead on. Simple to set up and modify if needed and you can take it with you if you ever move. Also not cost prohibitive.....either to purchase or to operate....a big plus here.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 11:32   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALonious View Post
This here also....works very well. The motion sensors are dead on. Simple to set up and modify if needed and you can take it with you if you ever move. Also not cost prohibitive.....either to purchase or to operate....a big plus here.
What about the monitoring service side of the deal? Appreciate your input.

Old May 16, 2017, 11:42   #7
AZ Dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7882
$14.99 per month. No contract either. You can call and have it shut off for any period of time and there is no activation fee to have it turned back on. I bought my whole system for under $400, had it installed in 1 hr.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:51   #8
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
motion sensors these days need to be dual frequency
pet immune, really big dogs, mount upside down

glass break sensors are a good idea

wireless smoke detectors are usually good for 5 years, then they start eating batteries, when they eat batteries w/in a month replace them, at 10 years any smoke detector should be replaced, at least twice a year use the vacuum w/ the soft brush to clean dust from the detector

heat detectors only in a garage

cameras, take a empty toilet paper tube and look thru w/ one eye, that is close to the field of view, average cameras are only clear enough to get a crisp image maxed out at 30 feet, some 20 feet

have a chain link security fence ? check out the manual for this system, fence must be tight, no brush or high weeds contacting, trembler cable must be stretched really tight, cops love this, gives them time to get there
http://www.ellisembeddedengineering....FlexManual.pdf

plant at least 3 rose bushes in front of every window on the first floor, or anything w/ thorns/spikes, crown of thorns, thorn apple, wild rose ……… getting hung up/stabbed by vegetation really deters most thieves & you can collect DNA samples from the thorns

a buddy had problems w/ people cutting thru the woods & his yard, I cut a large amount of thorn apple told him get rootone follow directions to get roots started & plant, in 6 months no one dared to cross that line of thorn apple, 2 inch razor sharp spikes just ain’t worth the trouble
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 13:06   #9
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Cellular connection needed.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 14:22   #10
badzero
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKodog View Post

glass break sensors are a good idea

wireless smoke detectors are usually good for 5 years, then they start eating batteries, when they eat batteries w/in a month replace them, at 10 years any smoke detector should be replaced, at least twice a year use the vacuum w/ the soft brush to clean dust from the detector

heat detectors only in a garage

cameras, take a empty toilet paper tube and look thru w/ one eye, that is close to the field of view, average cameras are only clear enough to get a crisp image maxed out at 30 feet, some 20 feet

have a chain link security fence ? check out the manual for this system, fence must be tight, no brush or high weeds contacting, trembler cable must be stretched really tight, cops love this, gives them time to get there
http://www.ellisembeddedengineering....FlexManual.pdf

plant at least 3 rose bushes in front of every window on the first floor, or anything w/ thorns/spikes, crown of thorns, thorn apple, wild rose ……… getting hung up/stabbed by vegetation really deters most thieves & you can collect DNA samples from the thorns

a buddy had problems w/ people cutting thru the woods & his yard, I cut a large amount of thorn apple told him get rootone follow directions to get roots started & plant, in 6 months no one dared to cross that line of thorn apple, 2 inch razor sharp spikes just ain’t worth the trouble
Thank you, but what the hell is thorn apple?

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 16:53   #11
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by badzero View Post
Thank you, but what the hell is thorn apple?
sometimes called wild crabapple ....... as kids we would use the spikes for blowgun darts

Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old May 16, 2017, 16:58   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
sometimes called wild crabapple ....... as kids we would use the spikes for blowgun darts

Yeah I was checking it out and in the U.K. It's some type of poisonous bush. Don't think it will grow here. Reading where some guy put it up along the property line and keeps people out

Old May 16, 2017, 17:36   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Cellular connection needed.
Checked it out. All included with the 14.99 Verizon. What is interesting is that you can get an app for $10 more to make sure people in the house aren't meddling around while your out. Have a teenage kid. Our bedroom is off limits.

Old May 16, 2017, 18:30   #14
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I have a monogram brand, plastic model of a full size human skull, hanging on the back rafters of the barn roof, off the back of the house......... with some of my hair glued to the side.

Just put it out two weeks ago.

Two nights ago I heard a young voice say at 2:30 am "who is that?"
Got their attention, it did.

WTF........ are they doing looking at the skull in back of my house? It was a girls voice...likely with her drug addicted guy. Probably from the ratzo zone a few miles away.

Unless I have homicide on my mind, when I hear things, I usually just bang my fist on the headboard of my bed........as I don't go to bed very early anymore...........it is now a game for me........ to be the old bastard with a shovel and a chainsaw.

I never get up when I hear them try/rattle the garage doors.......they are blocked in the tracks.......I never get near the front door when I hear someone try it..crossbar anti intrusion system......back door same and the windows will make noise as they open...

Petty thieves, burglars.....not worth my time or any lengthy explanations to the cops about what happened to them........ to get up most of the time after 3 am.

Drug crazed heroin addicts have parents who might not like my actions.

I also do not want to be photographed outside, by any crazed druggie with his iphone, while I carry heavy armament.
Pics may be worth a thousand words, but try to explain a photo of you carrying an AR at night near a tree on your property in a rural area.........
Only me wearing a body cam, would make such "exterior" actions sensible and defensible.

I may get one of those cameras that works off an I phone, for when I am not at home......... and tell the scum...... something politically incorrect.

Scum are ez to scare...until they do not scare off.

Old people are targets,.............. like the big box store.......
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017, 22:07   #15
badzero
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Never even heard of it, the closest thing we have around here like it would be honey locust which has thorns like that.

Old May 17, 2017, 05:28   #16
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
I have a big dog and an Italian wife. No break ins.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2017, 07:22   #17
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
Thorn apple grows in upstate NY I know. I nearly lost an eye because of it once.
Old May 17, 2017, 08:24   #18
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
Thorn apple grows in upstate NY I know. I nearly lost an eye because of it once.
yeah, its kinda like the honey badger of trees, it just don't give a f*ck !

take note: if you cut a branch (carefully) and have a good hand hold, that is a formidable weapon, serious mass destruction on any offender

and the thorns will easily go thru leather gloves and pretty much all clothing
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old May 17, 2017, 09:26   #19
badzero
Silver Contributor

Sounds like the perfect fence row tree, now I just have to figure out how to get my hands on some.

Old May 17, 2017, 11:22   #20
jimmbob
unreparated
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41144
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
We're moving in about a week to the mini ranch. It's a subdivision with 5 acre lots. I've want to consider a security system... My 1st project will be to erect a fence with a gate across the front and to block the driveway. That way people just can't drive in with a vehicle and have egress to load up stuff.

I've been looking at the Simplisafe product. It's wireless and you can have it monitored. Would you worry about motion sensors?
I'm so jealous, 5 acres - boy howdie. Nice going meltblown and a ranch type setup to boot!

The best security system for what you have is 2 or more real dogs. Perfect environment for them, fence the property and they will take command of protecting everything inside the perimeter.

My neighbors have one of them "monitored" security systems. What a waste of money joke that setup is, and not cheap either along with the monthly fee. They were broken into 3 times in just a few years and not once did the security system help. I live right next door and have not locked my front door for over a decade and have had no problems with thievery whatsoever. Living with Germ. Sheps that have free roam of my fenced property works quite well.
Old May 19, 2017, 19:22   #21
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Quote:
Maybe you mean dual technology, as in IR + microwave?

A decent motion detector will allow you to mask or turn off zones such as lower section for pets on the floors. IR fresnel lenses are downward facing. Placing upside down means you have to mount it lower on the wall so the lens will receive the light/intrusion path you intend.

Glassbreaks are hit or miss but work better in stick frame homes. Commercial/fancy homes with exterior storefronts/curtainwalls easily false alarm during morning warm up and night cool down themal cycles. I had a really tuned-in customer at a high security facility that tested every single GB we could get--fixed or adjustable. He actually broke framed windows in the room. Nothing consistent except the manufacturers' test device (handheld audible and ultrasonic generator) and the intermittant curtainwall cooldown creaks. And slammed doors. Amusingly the front ballistic doors had to slam shut to latch properly, and it set off the GB's a lot.

He went with more motions and beam detectors.
Fn/form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 19:35   #22
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
I have a monogram brand, plastic model of a full size human skull, hanging on the back rafters of the barn roof, off the back of the house......... with some of my hair glued to the side.

Just put it out two weeks ago.

Two nights ago I heard a young voice say at 2:30 am "who is that?"
Got their attention, it did.
That made my day!

FYI, there are many security cameras that perform "edge" recording--which is recording to an SD card in the camera. Great if the camera has a vandal resistant housing or if you can hide the camera. Best if it's on some type of battery backup.
Fn/form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 20:47   #23
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
We're moving in about a week to the mini ranch. It's a subdivision with 5 acre lots. I've want to consider a security system as the neighbors are about 200 yids away on each side. My 1st project will be to erect a fence with a gate across the front and to block the driveway. That way people just can't drive in with a vehicle and have egress to load up stuff.

I've been looking at the Simplisafe product. It's wireless and you can have it monitored. Would you worry about motion sensors? I think if I use entry sensors that I would be GTG. Lots of windows in the house.
I've got a gate, no trespassing signs, simply safe with motion, door, and glass break sensors backed up by Arlo motion activated cameras that go straight to my phone. Only problem I have had so far is a wasp flying close to the cameras and motion sensors WILL set them off.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017, 00:27   #24
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
I have SimpliSafe at the cabins ...

Here is what I set up in Wyoming: http://peakoilpetroleumandpreciousme...2#.WR_TKNwdDIU

A good gate also works: