The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old April 27, 2019, 21:57   #1
JessePinkman
Registered

FALaholic #: 81971
Can anybody help me to make the right decision to choose the best EDC knives?

How about 5.11 Tactical DTP Knife and SOG Trident Folding Knife, I am hesitating which one to choose?

Can anybody help me to make the right decision?

Thanks!
JessePinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019, 22:22   #2
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Whatís your budget. Neither of those blow my skirt up but knives are most personal things. Which feels best in your hand ?
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019, 00:57   #3
JessePinkman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
Whatís your budget. Neither of those blow my skirt up but knives are most personal things. Which feels best in your hand ?
Thank you, bro. Just under $100.

I saw them at https://www.bobsop.com/best-edc-knives/

Personally, I like this guy SOG Trident Folding Knife more. I will give a try.
Old April 28, 2019, 01:56   #4
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Most of the stuff in that link are steaming piles of shyte so I probably wouldn't recommend even a window licker to rely on that site for guidance. Generally such things are guided by who sponsors them well enough and how much they can spread the word.
Old April 28, 2019, 01:59   #5
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

An Expat knives Medellin is probably a better tool than about anything listed there.....

https://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-K...n-Frame--79437

...full disclosure I am a Moderator for the ESEE Forum so I have a little bias. My own preference is either a CRK Zann or 21.
Old April 28, 2019, 02:41   #6
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
Emerson SOCFK, but it's not cheap. about $230
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019, 03:55   #7
JessePinkman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
An Expat knives Medellin is probably a better tool than about anything listed there.....

https://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-K...n-Frame--79437

...full disclosure I am a Moderator for the ESEE Forum so I have a little bias. My own preference is either a CRK Zann or 21.
Thanks a lot, man! I'll check it.
Old April 28, 2019, 03:59   #8
JessePinkman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Emerson SOCFK, but it's not cheap. about $230
Thanks, just a bit expensive, haha! But if I like it, I will buy it.
Old April 29, 2019, 14:38   #9
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Any of the well-known makers - Kershaw, Benchmade (although their politics suck), ESEE, etc. will do you proud. Just find a model that meets your needs and tickles your fancy.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019, 18:04   #10
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Buck Duece.
Old April 29, 2019, 18:31   #11
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Pre- owned Al Mar.

tdb59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2019, 19:46   #12
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
I usually carry a Kershaw Volt II
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Bead-...gateway&sr=8-2

or a Kershaw Blur S30V
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1670S...gateway&sr=8-1

Or my CRKT M16-13Z EDC
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I go hammock camping, I wear a Cold Steel 53NCC Drop Pt. Spike around my neck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 09:58   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
When blade gets dull turn around or replace without tools.

If want more traditional this Spiderco is one of my favorites. Clip to belt loop and tuck in rear pocket. Won't drop or lose and exactly where you expect whenever reach for it.

Might not want to carry the Damascus considering current value but perfect size fixed blade knife.

All of these have features may like so try a few. Usully have a small in pocket and large on belt. Saves 50 trips to toll box per day.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 16:19   #14
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Throughout the years my working knives have varied greatly. Back in the Navy days it was as issued Case folding hunters and later the Buck 110. Completely wore the blades off of those things, even though they did serve me well.

Later on, as an electrician, I made use of a Broker brand hawk bill for ripping cable jackets off. Adequate for the job and easy to maintain and cheap to replace if lost.

For many years my carry knives have been Benchmade Griptillian series with a D2 blade, and later an Osborne series with 154 CM blade. After having discovered the owners disgraceful politics, they go back in the drawer. So then as a fitting replacement, I blew the dust off of a Reeves Sebenza folder for daily carry. Retired now as an electrician, so no longer fear the titanium handles.

Curiousity found in knife drawer is a 5.11 Tarani folding karambit. Seems to be an exact copy of the one made by Emerson knives. It even has the same 154 CM blade. Not a very hand filling grip, but with that finger hole, it would be a hard road trying to take it away.

Huey, I had one of those folding box cutter things. Brother liked it so much that he talked me out of it. He uses it in his business to open cartons and cut banding.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 08:52   #15
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Iím with Andy on your choices, neither gets me excited.

Iím kind of a simple guy but like good quality. That being said my every day carry knife for the past 20 plus years has been a Gerber Ez-out, the bigger one with a plain blade. I tried the serrated blade but didnít like it all that much. The blade is big enough for every thing Iíve needed if for and itís light enough that I donít notice itís there at the end of the day. Iíve had 3 of them in 20 years, one the handle cracked on me and Gerber replaced it for free, had the replacement knife for about 8 years when it went missing while at work, and the one I currently have had about 7 years. Iíve paid a total $50 for all three knives.

Iíve tried several other knives for use as an EDC knife but havenít found one that I like better than the Gerber. I have several CRKT M16, M10 and a few more, tried a benchmade elishewitz and a few others. At the end of the day I like my Gerber, itís not flashy or fancy but will hold its edge a long time and gets the job done. Iíve used it to cut several seatbelts and it went through them just fine.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 21:40   #16
JessePinkman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
When blade gets dull turn around or replace without tools.

If want more traditional this Spiderco is one of my favorites. Clip to belt loop and tuck in rear pocket. Won't drop or lose and exactly where you expect whenever reach for it.

Might not want to carry the Damascus considering current value but perfect size fixed blade knife.

All of these have features may like so try a few. Usully have a small in pocket and large on belt. Saves 50 trips to toll box per day.

Thank you for your recommendation.
Old May 04, 2019, 21:46   #17
JessePinkman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
Iím with Andy on your choices, neither gets me excited.

Iím kind of a simple guy but like good quality. That being said my every day carry knife for the past 20 plus years has been a Gerber Ez-out, the bigger one with a plain blade. I tried the serrated blade but didnít like it all that much. The blade is big enough for every thing Iíve needed if for and itís light enough that I donít notice itís there at the end of the day. Iíve had 3 of them in 20 years, one the handle cracked on me and Gerber replaced it for free, had the replacement knife for about 8 years when it went missing while at work, and the one I currently have had about 7 years. Iíve paid a total $50 for all three knives.

Iíve tried several other knives for use as an EDC knife but havenít found one that I like better than the Gerber. I have several CRKT M16, M10 and a few more, tried a benchmade elishewitz and a few others. At the end of the day I like my Gerber, itís not flashy or fancy but will hold its edge a long time and gets the job done. Iíve used it to cut several seatbelts and it went through them just fine.
I agree with you. I like Gerber. The Gerber is must have.
Old May 04, 2019, 21:51   #18
JessePinkman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
Throughout the years my working knives have varied greatly. Back in the Navy days it was as issued Case folding hunters and later the Buck 110. Completely wore the blades off of those things, even though they did serve me well.

Later on, as an electrician, I made use of a Broker brand hawk bill for ripping cable jackets off. Adequate for the job and easy to maintain and cheap to replace if lost.

For many years my carry knives have been Benchmade Griptillian series with a D2 blade, and later an Osborne series with 154 CM blade. After having discovered the owners disgraceful politics, they go back in the drawer. So then as a fitting replacement, I blew the dust off of a Reeves Sebenza folder for daily carry. Retired now as an electrician, so no longer fear the titanium handles.

Curiousity found in knife drawer is a 5.11 Tarani folding karambit. Seems to be an exact copy of the one made by Emerson knives. It even has the same 154 CM blade. Not a very hand filling grip, but with that finger hole, it would be a hard road trying to take it away.

Huey, I had one of those folding box cutter things. Brother liked it so much that he talked me out of it. He uses it in his business to open cartons and cut banding.
Your experience is very rich. I have to learn from you. Haha.
Old May 05, 2019, 12:48   #19
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
My experiences with cutting tools is not so unlike any other man's might be. Each man has his own needs and expectations that will lead him down the pathway to his own nirvana. Some expect less, while others expect more. A rare few ever venture into knives of the custom made class. Knives of that caliber are top drawer stuff that commands a steep price tag. Small price for a connoisseur of premium cutlery. Quality working tools, on the other hand, that see hard use cost a lot less and can function well up to the task. Question becomes what do you expect from a knife?

A keenly sharpened blade will teach one safe handling and deliberate action, one way or another. A dull blade tends to develop clumsy, bad habits like forcing a cut. Most often in a reckless fashion. Choose good steel that takes an edge and holds it, and keep it sharp. Find one that provides a hand hold that fits your hand to prevent twisting and turning under hard use. The super thin packages fit nice in the pocket but provide an unstable hold in use.

Keep doing what you are now. Namely, ask opinions from others and learn from what they might offer. Sort the wheat from the chaff, then find your own comfort level with how your blade handles and the quality in construction. Then be happy.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 12:14   #20
lew
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Never saw a reason to spend more than ~$50 for an EDC knife.

My daily carry alternates between a Columbia River Drifter or a Kershaw Emerson. They're handy, but I'm not too heartbroken if they get lost.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -H.L. Mencken
lew is online now   Reply With Quote