Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Economics & Investing

Notices

Old April 22, 2019, 20:31   #51
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
All this lip smacking regarding Amazon is very over rated

Again and again I explain to you folks that the vast bulk of people over 40 simply don't do internet as any sort of regular thing, if at all

Normal folks don't by underware and other clothing online
They don't buy TVs online

We are losing two Shopko stores in my county
Something to think about
Up into the 80s you had small stores
Big Box stores moved in, destroyed many larger town's downtown. Small stores were unable to complete with volume buying power.

Many communities today, the downtown is near vacant
Our local Shopko killed at least 5 stores downtown. Now that it's closing well no place to even buy basic things like socks and underwear.
and it wasn't because our Shopko lacked customers either, that operation was deep in the Black
So as it stands, well folks have to drive over 80 miles one way for clothing now

Let's talk about JC Penny
That's where you bought most of your clothes
Walmart, not Amazon hit them badly but deliberate mismanagement played a huge factor as well

The Amazon thing is huge today but they actually represent a slice of sales
People just keep being told again and again about Amazon but truth is folks often want to see exactly what they are buying...it's mostly been media hype, not reality.
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 04:55   #52
base704
Vampire Pilot
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Again and again I explain to you folks that the vast bulk of people over 40 simply don't do internet as any sort of regular thing, if at all

People just keep being told again and again about Amazon but truth is folks often want to see exactly what they are buying...it's mostly been media hype, not reality.
I call BS.
I'm in your "over 40" demographic, and I do 90 percent of my shopping on line. Jeans, socks, underwear, shoes (sneakers, boots), books. . . .
I'm an Amazon whore. I've bought knives, sharpeners, first aid kits, water purifiers. . .
I could go on for days.
Anything that I want or need can be in my hands in a matter of 36 hours or less. Beats going to a store and dealing with people that don't give shit about you. . .No people/attitudes to deal with on line.
Returns are as simple as printing a label and dropping the item off at a "drop box", or requesting a pick up.
As sad as it is that it has eliminated jobs, and killed the "mom and pop" stores, it has simplified my life tremendously.

And I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Jeff Bezos (founder and chairman of Amazon) has a net worth of $151.8 billion.
Not a big thing. . .
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, "The Nature of Government"

Last edited by base704; April 23, 2019 at 05:04.
base704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 06:28   #53
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by base704 View Post
I call BS.
I'm in your "over 40" demographic, and I do 90 percent of my shopping on line. Jeans, socks, underwear, shoes (sneakers, boots), books. . . .
I'm an Amazon whore. I've bought knives, sharpeners, first aid kits, water purifiers. . .
I could go on for days.
Anything that I want or need can be in my hands in a matter of 36 hours or less. Beats going to a store and dealing with people that don't give shit about you. . .No people/attitudes to deal with on line.
Returns are as simple as printing a label and dropping the item off at a "drop box", or requesting a pick up.
As sad as it is that it has eliminated jobs, and killed the "mom and pop" stores, it has simplified my life tremendously.

Not a big thing. . .
I was kind of waiting for this response from someone, I knew it would be coming.

Again, Amazon is a slice of the retail market but it's a lot to do with the situational measure of things Base.
The main thing to look at is just because you & I are active on the web that don't mean boo about others in our demographic.

One measure of this has been at Gun Shows. I have tables of parts, guys are forever asking me if I might have this or that. Yeah maybe, do you use internet ? You can send me an email. 9 times out of 10 guys don't have a stinkin' email account ! These are not old geezers either, I get this from thirty somethings regularly. Yeah, a few of them have wives with a notebook or kids that are facebooking, Instagram, whatever but at best it's a replacement telephone/snail mail.

I am forever doing G-d's work at shows telling guys that they can pull a great deal more cash listing some Soviet refurb K98 online than selling it on a table for $200
I do this all the damn' time. I'm no FFL so I'm not going to have us playing that hustle.
This is constant in the upper Midwest due to the vast bulk of Gun folks being unaware of online valuation. Thing is nobody want's to double their money because they don't do internet and they sure as shit don't do pix

Similarly online guys get all testy over the markups on say surplus AK mags
I get that but sorry, if you want something at online pricing buy it online. Truth is most of the Gun show public are happy as hell to buy an AK mag from me for twenty bones. Why ? Because they are oblivious to online pricing structure.

Another issue is quite a number of folks don't carry real plastic. They sure as hell are not inclined to use a VISA or MC enabled ATM bank card linked direct to their personal accounts. Quite a number of working families have shit credit anyways, they will never be approved for an Amazon card

Guys tend to look at this issue with personal blinders on, purely from their perspective

It is a bit different in more Urban areas and with somewhat younger folks however plenty of America is still smaller communities and a large percentage of this nation are working poor
Are you starting to see the picture ?

Yeah, totally agree with you on socks and underwear online
Shoes ?
No damn way I'd mail order footware
or jeans for that matter
I want to check the fit

Can you even get a wide screen LED TV shipped ?
like a 50 odd inch ?
Best Buy won't do it, neither will Wallmart. To much chance of damage in transit.
Oh and then you need to be there for deliveries too

Gets worse
Amazon is losing their cheap rate contracts on shipping while at the same moment are having to apply state sales tax against purchases
There will be little Amazon advantage in short order

Something else those store you complain about having no shits given about customers are big box stores. Used to be we had appliance stores, stereo stores, what not and a big part of that was customer satisfaction

Yes you paid a bit more but generally you had much better products than what was poured in by garbage stores like wallmarts
still it was a one stop deal so many just abandoned the old model to by trash just a little cheaper.
That's what murdered downtown

I really don't give a hoot about Bezo's Billions
he's not my baby hero what so ever
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 17:53   #54
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Quote:
Lowe's Home Improvement stores are carrying the Craftsman brand around here (NC) these days.
Not sure about the hand tools (although likely), but definitely the roll away tool boxes.
China, China, China, China, China......
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 18:37   #55
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Quote:
I call BS.
I could go on for days.

Not a big thing. . .
Ditto here on the online shopping. Hell, I have started stocking spare parts for my Scag Turf Tiger from Amazon, most at least half the price of any local dealer, many 1/3 the price. I don't order clothes there, never have ordered clothes online, and I even hate to shop. I'm a blue jeans and mostly Osh Kosh overalls wearer, Atwoods and Tractor Supply is my hunting grounds for clothes. At 64, I'm about as techie as I care to be, but I do draw the line at having an app on my phone to shut my living room light off from anyplace remote. I would like to have some cameras around the place here and at the farm shed to advise me of when someone drives on the place. But this likely won't happen either, I pretty much don't wanna learn it.
Old May 04, 2019, 13:26   #56
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Well, my local Sears was only a small strip mall place, but is now gone too...
I havent been in since last fall and only noticed driving by today because their sign has disappeared.
That means appliances within a 1/2hr of my local are only available at Lowes or a couple of low quality rent to own places....
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote