Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FIFTY Files

Notices

Old October 29, 2012, 11:12   #1
DYNOMIKE
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11982
50 Cal reloading stuff?

Looking to help a friend get into reloading for his two 50 cal rifles. I might normally put this in the reloading forum but I thought I might get more input here..

Bud has two 50's both bought from our store, one is the SEMI Auto Barrett the other a Semi Ma Deuce on a Mount..

Anyway I'm looking for suggestions as to what set-up is the best..
Knowing Dillon has a real nice press is that best or is the RCBS the one he should look into? Of course if there are others I'm open to suggestions..

Also interested in Dies and accessories that are must have items..

TIA..
Old October 29, 2012, 12:34   #2
shortround
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1503
I've loaded over 5000 round thru my RCBS without a hickup. I run them in my Barrett M-90 and my M-3HB. I got the press around 20 years ago as an Ammomaster that I put the 50 conversion on. They were much cheaper then. Now there's only $350 or so between the RCBS and the Dillon and the Dillon is twice the press.

If you had said he was loading for a single shot, I might have also mentioned the Lee setup. Lee is cheap, and OK for a lighlty used setup, but I wouldn't try loading for a semi with it.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Someone asked if I was a procrastinator and I told them I wasn't sure but I'd get back with them tomorrow.
shortround is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 19:56   #3
Blaster
Registered

FALaholic #: 11913
Mike, I have the RCBS Ammomaster with RCBS .50BMG dies. They have worked out just fine for me but I am not into reloading a gazillion cartridges at at time since I have an AMAC single shot. I'll let others comment on their stuff but I'd sure recommend getting a bullet sizer die or maybe you'd call it a bullet REsizer.
This is really necessary if any of the surplus .50BMG "PULLED" bullets are going to be used for blasting/plinking. In a batch of 500 projectiles, there were five or six that were out of round and would absolutely not fit through the sizing die. Those could have caused some rather high pressures since they were slightly of an oval shape. I hope you get a lot more recommendations for your friend regarding equipment needed.
Oh yeah, the old Stihl 028 is in the shop to have fuel lines replaced. Dang ethanol!
Blaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012, 21:12   #4
DYNOMIKE
Registered
Contributor

Hey THANKS for the info so far Gents, while I consider my knowledge of reloading to be pretty respectable when it comes to the 50 Cal I know LESS then nothing..

BLASTER, if'n I was closer I'd have that done for ya in no time flat..
Glad you like the saw but sorry about the line.. It is a common occurrence unfortunately and hopefully they get ya done quickly and at a reasonable price..
Old October 30, 2012, 11:34   #5
Blaster
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOMIKE View Post
BLASTER, if'n I was closer I'd have that done for ya in no time flat..
Glad you like the saw but sorry about the line.. It is a common occurrence unfortunately and hopefully they get ya done quickly and at a reasonable price..
Mike, I wish too that we were closer in proximity. The Stihl authorized shop quoted me ABOUT $125 to apply a new fuel filter, hoses and check out compression and if it looks like it'll cost more than that, they are to give me a phone call. Dang old saw works too good (other than the fuel line malfunction) to just discard it. I'll let you know just how much they finally "gouge" me on fixing it up. That shop indicated when the E-15 fuel comes out, there will be a lot of "weeping and gnashing of teeth".......
Old October 30, 2012, 16:09   #6
DYNOMIKE
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Mike, I wish too that we were closer in proximity. The Stihl authorized shop quoted me ABOUT $125 to apply a new fuel filter, hoses and check out compression and if it looks like it'll cost more than that, they are to give me a phone call. Dang old saw works too good (other than the fuel line malfunction) to just discard it. I'll let you know just how much they finally "gouge" me on fixing it up. That shop indicated when the E-15 fuel comes out, there will be a lot of "weeping and gnashing of teeth".......
I'm sorry Bud but that's fugged up.. The Job pays a half hour (.7 at the most) and the parts are only a few $$.. There are no fuel "lines" as these saws take a single fitted lne..
Checking the comp is BS as it will be just fine, on these saws comp is a measure of eng condition BUT if it ran before then the comp is fine.
Only time I see these saws have shit comp is when they have run lean (no or not enough oil) and or ingested dirt (run w/bad or no a/f)
Old October 30, 2012, 18:30   #7
Blaster
Registered

Mike, I don't want to clutter up your thread about .50 reloading so will PM you with the final cost and what they did for the 028. This shop is so busy that they told me that they are about 6 weeks backed up.
Old November 01, 2012, 17:54   #8
FAL4EVER
Registered

FALaholic #: 13671
I'm contemplating a CH4D "Rock Crusher" and wonder how well the Dillon BFR holds up against a heavy single stage. Anyone out there with hands-on experience? Is Dillon just targeting big consumers like M2 owners?
Old November 01, 2012, 17:54   #9
Tim Dreas
Registered

FALaholic #: 17255
I bought the 50 BMG RCBS press and dies when they first came out. At the time there weren't many other options. The expander would snap off and was replaced several times. The decapping pins would often break. Another company makes some high strength decapping pins for the RCBS 50 BMG dies now. The RCBS press seems fine but I ditched the dies for CH4D dies. There weren't any Hornady or Lee dies available in 50 BMG at the time. The CH4D dies are much better than the RCBS dies, but seem, "unfinished." The threads on them are sharp, and nearly cut your fingers. It's as if they aren't polished or whatever finishing that would make them less sharp isn't done to them. Other than that, they seem to be top quality dies and way ahead of the RCBS dies. I haven't tried Hornady or Lee 50 BMG dies.

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/50-bmg

http://www.forsterproducts.com/catal...?prodid=700286
Old November 02, 2012, 07:31   #10
shlomo
Registered

FALaholic #: 12779
If ya know somebody with a lathe, you can make yer own neck-sizing and decapping die:

Old November 03, 2012, 17:07   #11
Tim Dreas
Registered

I see Forster now makes 50 BMG dies. Forster dies make the absolute most accurate ammunition in other rifle calibers I have. If I didn't have the CH4D dies I would go with the Forster dies, even though I haven't used them in 50 BMG. They have been the absolute best dies I've used in other calibers.

I see a lot people commenting that the Lee 50 BMG dies size the necks too small and create too much neck tension.
Old February 05, 2013, 10:11   #12
Tim Dreas
Registered

Well now my RCBS press has broken. I've owned it for 20 years but I really haven't loaded much 50 BMG ammunition with it. The RCBS expander kept breaking and I went with another brand of dies. The RCBS press is marginal for strength also. This is the older version of the press but the current version with Chinese steel doesn't look any better for 50 BMG loading. Now to shop for a stronger 50 BMG press.
Old February 06, 2013, 19:56   #13
bbqncigars
Registered

FALaholic #: 64064
I keep my Windrunner fed with the Lee kit. If I had to crank out a bunch on a regular basis, I'd go for the Ten-X press over the Dillon.
Old February 15, 2013, 13:19   #14
Tim Dreas
Registered

I've always wanted a coaxial press but I think I'll replace the broken RCBS press with the Lee press. I've read better reviews of the Hornady dies than the Lee dies, with complaints of neck tension being so great that the bullets get squeezed and distorted. I think some other sizing dimensions may be a bit off too. I'm not sure how good the quality of the Hornady dies is but the dimensions seem better than the Lee dies, or at least closer to correct.