The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reference and Data Section: a FAL FAQs and Library

Notices

Old December 06, 2002, 23:17   #1
McDobber
Registered

FALaholic #: 6054
Dan Coonan Receiver Hardness Test Info

All,

I contacted Dan Coonan for information about his receiver that FAC sells. This is the response he sent me. This might answer some of the questions that more than a few of the members here have about them.

There is information concerning the hardness of FAL Receivers manufactured by Imbel, DSA, Enterprise, etc. in a post dated Oct. 31st in the Review Form that I believe was started by Meepers when he reviewed a U.S. Armament Receiver.

I hope this helps.

McDobber

David:

We have done a fair amount of hardness testing of various FAL type receivers. The only receivers that should be used as a benchmark or standard are the Imbel commercial and contract (military) receivers and the various receiver remnants
found on rifle kits. The most common of these receiver remnants is the front end section; still attached to the barrel. We have just recently
seen center sections and back end sections from L1A1 and G1 rifles. Here is the scoop in a nutshell: All Imbels and contract (military)
receivers are SOFT!!!!!! LESS THAN 20 (TWENTY!) Rockwell 'C' Scale, with the EXCEPTION of the UNDERLUG/LOCKING LUG AREA. The Underlug/Locking Lug area has been spot treated by either induction or resistance heating to the critical or transformation temperature and quenched ; no tempering. The result is a hard spot, about 57 Rc, blending to 18 -20 Rc within 1/2 inch radius. Our best engineering analyses of this spot treatment (and we sent our head engineer on an all
Ireland Pub Crawl BEFORE he kissed the Blarney Stone!) is this: They wanted the locking lug something better than dead soft - around 25-30
Rc. So they spot hardened and quenched. By eliminating a Draw or Tempering operation, they saved BIG BUCKS! - and that's the only reason
it's 57 Rc and not 25 Rc.
Our parts are Normalized, Hardened, Drawn - three different heat-treat operations - to 25 to 30 Rc and then fully machined in this hardened condition. We have tried other methods. This is the most predictable. DSA receivers measure 25 -30 Rc anywhere and everywhere. Some people
claim their receivers are 'rock hard' - they fail to claim they have rocks in their head!
As an added note, this is an extremely hard part to check accurately. We have been forced to SECTION parts and prepare them for hardness
evaluation. The inclination is that the parts measure softer than they are due to part movement while testing, and the heat-treater making them
harder because of the lower readings, This can be SO MUCH FUN!!!!
I have more to say, but I think I'll have a pint of Guinness before the Blarney wears off!
Thanks for giving me this opportunity!
Dan Coonan
McDobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 00:13   #2
Christenson
Banned

FALaholic #: 7028
Thanks for the info on these receivers. Let them ban Imbels I think we may have what we need a good priced US receiver.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 00:33   #3
FAL_FREAK
Registered

FALaholic #: 4343
That explains the darker spot just behind the locking shoulder on my Imbels. I think. I think a Coonan is my next receiver. Maybe my Imbel barrel will fit better on it.

If water is the universal solvent, then coffee with cream and sugar is the universal computer fix-it tool. Whatever you spill it on is soon replaced.
FAL_FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 00:46   #4
Blag
Registered

FALaholic #: 1148
Re: Dan Coonan Receiver Hardness Test Info

Quote:
Originally posted by McDobber
All,

I contacted Dan Coonan for information about his receiver that FAC sells. ...

Our parts are Normalized, Hardened, Drawn - three different heat-treat operations - to 25 to 30 Rc and then fully machined in this hardened condition. ...
Good! Dan Coonan sounds like a great guy, and it's nice to have some remarks of his on the board. And complete heat treatment is the best way to go, I think.
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 03:36   #5
Templator
Registered

FALaholic #: 4460
Essentially, a receiver fabricated from 4130 prehard,... good stuff,... and Dan Coonan sounds like a class act,.. imagine that!,... someone in the gun industry who actually has a sense of humor!

I'm impressed with the fact that he approached the tempering process as he did, and I'm also impressed that he ended up with a receiver which is pre hardened to 25-30 Rockwell *then* machined. That's the way that it should be done. Doing it in this way eliminates the distortion which would obviously occur if they were heat treated after machining.

My next build is going to be a Coonan.

Harry Truman
Templator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 06:15   #6
Lazy Horse
Registered

FALaholic #: 2170
Cool Coonan Receivers

I have one in the safe and another being built by Tony of M&M guns. Tony says that Coonan Receivers are GREAT. I have now ordered another from Harlan at FAC I am so impressed with them. AND its US made. Russ ( Lazy Horse )
Old December 07, 2002, 10:07   #7
Christenson
Banned

FALaholic #: 7028
If I remember from my days in metals the heat treat first then machine makes the metal every bit as strong as the best of the forgings it is the best way to go even tho it would not have to be done this way to make a good receiver. Dan deserves every bit of the money he makes on these receivers. For once there is a guy that wants to do the job right. DSA will always be great but costly. But look at Enterprise for a couple of years there receivers had very bad heat treating that was not there fault they were ripped off by a contractor. I had one built on one of there receivers from that time and it held up fine after the 2500 rounds I put threw I wish I would have kept it tho. My point is Dan did not have to heat treat and then machine to make a good receiver he took the extra step to make a great receiver something you don't see in the Military semi auto rifle world.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 11:57   #8
RMLamey
Registered

FALaholic #: 3671
The fact that Mr. Coonan runs a normalization cycle on the recievers before the hardening cycle tells me much about his understanding of the heat treat process. Its really a simple matter, but most folks either dont care, dont know, or dont take the time (talking about heat treating in general, not just recievers). Im gonna have to try one out.

Last edited by RMLamey; December 07, 2002 at 11:59.
RMLamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 12:32   #9
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Great response from Connan! Good to see a manufacturer that will take the time to answer questions about his product. This has helped to make me feel better about ordering a pair of these for my next two builds. Hope they will be in by the end of the week.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 13:00   #10
Sailor553
Registered

FALaholic #: 3626
Hey Dwight and Bryan...pay attention here. This is how you treat and keep customers (pun intended).
Sailor553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2002, 19:56   #11
squid8286
Registered

FALaholic #: 7276
I had to drive down to Atlanta today to take a G1 build to Tony at M&M Gunsmithing (UPS wouldn't ship it for me) and I took a look at an Israeli HB that he built on a Coonan receiver. He spoke highly of them, and the HB was a great looking rifle. I think my next receiver might just be a Coonan.
squid8286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2002, 14:29   #12
Slugger
Registered

FALaholic #: 1482
Sounds like a product that can compete head to head with DSA's receivers?????

Better bang for the buck.

Slugger
Old December 23, 2002, 15:10   #13
HD99FXR3
Registered

FALaholic #: 5260
i ordered 1 when they went on sale for $199 hope they are like everybody says. and from dan's reply you can tell that they did their homework before they started production. lets just hope that they one day make a true inch receiver. speaking of which how about somebody posting the e-mail address and everybody e-mail dan coonan expressing interest in a inch receiver
HD99FXR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2002, 16:19   #14
gearlogo
Registered

FALaholic #: 5576
Ever see one of dans .357 mag 1911 clones? I was too young and had no money for one back then. Ahh hindsite aint it a b>>ch.
gearlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2002, 18:18   #15
Blag
Registered

FALaholic #: 1148
Quote:
Originally posted by HD99FXR3
... speaking of which how about somebody posting the e-mail address and everybody e-mail dan coonan expressing interest in a inch receiver
I would rather have Dan Coonan doing something more productive than reading emails that all say the same thing. I'm sure he knows there's interest in an inch receiver.

Instead of emails, let's use a thread in FAC's forum. Here's one already started....

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...threadid=57478
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2002, 22:19   #16
gunsmith_tony
Registered

FALaholic #: 6564
I emailed Dan in October regarding that very thing. His biggest obstacle it that...He's really buisy...REALLY BUISY!
Hopefully, he'll have something soon. I know I'm ready for it.
Just imagine, an "Inch" receiver that doesn't say Entreprise on it...ohhh bliss! (Gett'n a woodie just thinking about it) lol
gunsmith_tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2002, 10:48   #17
dougjones31
Registered

FALaholic #: 6967
The New Year is sure to bring New things!!!
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." --Adolf Hitler, 1935
dougjones31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2002, 02:30   #18
Looney Tunes
Registered

FALaholic #: 4328
that's it. i am ordering two from FAC early in january. i am very impressed with dan's willingness to build a quality receiver for a reasonable price. thanks dan & FAC. 8^)
Looney Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 11:47   #19
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmith_tony View Post
I emailed Dan in October regarding that very thing. His biggest obstacle it that...He's really buisy...REALLY BUISY!
Hopefully, he'll have something soon. I know I'm ready for it.
Just imagine, an "Inch" receiver that doesn't say Entreprise on it...ohhh bliss! (Gett'n a woodie just thinking about it) lol
Perhaps Dan Coonan & Company can figure out how to make any FAL receiver where the bolt carrier fully closes.
Old December 13, 2018, 10:38   #20
kurbelgehause
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 14698
Anyone have any updates?