The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 04, 2018, 22:05   #1
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
Yet another hobby............ugh.

Well, I've finally purchased my first old flywheel engine. But, my first is a biggie. I just purchased a Cooper-Bessemer 40hp oil filed engine. This thing is big! The flywheels are 1,250 lbs. each and they are almost 6 feet tall! I plan on making it run on propane. I think it's pretty cool and will cut in to my FAL time, but that's ok, the pile is getting smaller. By the way, it's free turning and I already have a nice, bright, snappy spark!

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 22:18   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Drop an LS in it.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 22:20   #3
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Holy Cow. You could have powered the entire 1800's Winchester factory with that thing. I guess we know who has the biggest Jimmy in the building.
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 23:18   #4
jollyrogerf14
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 71100
That's awesome!

There's been an IHC hit and miss engine listed locally, and I refuse to read the phone number out of fear that I'll remember it, call the guy, and end up owning it. I love the old stuff!
jollyrogerf14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 23:45   #5
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
What will you do with it?
Old December 05, 2018, 01:43   #6
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Those old slow speed engines will last forever. My grand father had a couple of small ones (IHC?) that pumped water for the cows well into the early 80's. Oil 'em up, fill the water hoppers, and let them run 'til they ran out of gas to fill 1500 gallons of water tanks once a week. They were stupid simple engines.

Funny thing was that it took a 12HP Briggs to do the same job as one of those old 1HP engines running a pump jack.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 03:49   #7
FUUN063
Registered

BiGB808, who knows what I'll do with it. The price was more than fair and it was 2 miles from my house! The first thing I'm going to do, though, is get it running and measure for a setup that I can possibly build some sort of trolley, cart or trailer for it to make it so that I can move it around with the ol' JD B so it don't take up my shop space.

Leland
Old December 05, 2018, 07:35   #8
2barearms
I really don't hate you..
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Listers were more my thing. Thatís a seriously big little engine. The 6hp Lister CS weighs almost 800 lbs! That thing looks like it needs piers.....

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stšrker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 07:52   #9
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Very cool Leland. I have a friend from church who is a serious collector of antique tractors and engines such as this. If you need any advice or sources for parts or what-not, let me know and I will hook you up with him.
Old December 05, 2018, 08:17   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Wow, I've never seen one of those before. It's very interesting. Knew an old guy here locally who built steam engines. He owned a very early Stanley Steamer and built a small steam engine for a motorcycle. About how old is that engine Leland?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 09:52   #11
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I have been looking for a 10-20hp around here, but they are all owned by collectors who want big $$$ for them. Well, I did find one a lady is using for a planter in her yard.

I have no time for it...just another side want I will probably never get to.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 10:12   #12
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Pretty cool....one of my hobbies used to be building paper craft flywheel "steam" engines powered by low pressure compressed air. The Bertchy one is one of my favorites:

Old December 05, 2018, 10:20   #13
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
That is some fantastic old arn...

Many big thresherees and steam shows in Indiana, so if you get that unit trailer mounted you'd be good to go!
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 12:36   #14
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Good grief Leland that things huge. Do you have any ideas of when it was made? My Dad has several hit & miss motors but nothing even close to the size of yours.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 12:40   #15
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Thatís cool! The hitormiss motor guys around here like the little ones. The bigger ones are more affordable.
Larry
Old December 05, 2018, 14:44   #16
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Drop an LS in it.

I been looking at the photos and I canít figure out where the locking shoulder goes.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 15:28   #17
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Is that a "hit and miss", type?
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 17:55   #18
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Grove City engine?
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 18:05   #19
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
Stimpy,
There once was one up on Yahoola Creek just below Dahlonega at the old Crown Mountain Gold mines behind the Blue Grass Music park throughout the 80's and early 90's. (probably 50-75 yards down stream of the new ball fields now) The shed was partially collapsed around it, but it was complete with all the old rotten belts and overhead transfer bars /reduction "gears" (not sure what they are called) laying around. The stamp mill was still standing but I think has since collapsed. It powered a massive wooden wheel probably 6-8 feet in diameter that ran the crusher and stamp mill. The wheel surface for the belts was 2-3 feet wide! It was impressive. Probably long gone now. I'll help you load it in your truck if its still there...
FNfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 18:12   #20
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
What would be cool is if you could actually power something with it. Boy those were the days. No machine guards and no little stickers. Darwin awards were easier to get back then

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 19:01   #21
FUUN063
Registered

Built in Grove City, Pa and then shipped to Oklahoma to the oil fields. Here is a copy of the original receipt for the engine back in 1926.

Leland
Old December 05, 2018, 20:07   #22
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

I noticed the motorcycle in the background of the second picture; is that a 2-stroke triple Kawasaki, or Suzuki? Don't see many of those anymore but the Kawasaki's were a rocket in their day.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

Old December 05, 2018, 20:11   #23
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I noticed the motorcycle in the background of the second picture; is that a 2-stroke triple Kawasaki, or Suzuki? Don't see many of those anymore but the Kawasaki's were a rocket in their day.
TG you will kill yer self on that thing. I was noticing the surface grinder and stuff. Nice shop

Old December 05, 2018, 20:15   #24
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
TG you will kill yer self on that thing. I was noticing the surface grinder and stuff. Nice shop
No, I don't want one of those now. I did back around 1973, '74. Local chief of police had a blue Kawasaki 750 triple for sale but something told me no...

and yes, it is a nice shop.

Old December 05, 2018, 20:24   #25
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
No, I don't want one of those now. I did back around 1973, '74. Local chief of police had a blue Kawasaki 750 triple for sale but something told me no...

and yes, it is a nice shop.
If someone gave me one of those RS350s(IIRC) that would run, I would mount it up. Same with an XR750 Harley.

ETA: My father told me before he died that he wouldn't let me have a motorcicle when I was a kid because of the damn devastation of some of my bicycle and mini bike wrecks.

Old December 05, 2018, 21:06   #26
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Drop an LS in it.

Only if carburated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGB808 View Post
What will you do with it?
Power a sex toy, duh!
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 21:46   #27
FUUN063
Registered

This big engine is a two stroke. Also, the bike in the background is one I recently purchased in pieces. I put it together and got it running. I'll squirrel it away until I get time for it. I think I may keep this one, it's a 1976 Yamaha RD400 (2 cyl., 2 stroke). They were nicknamed "giant killers" because they would run. But, I did also have a Kawasaki 500 Mach III triple, as well. It was even faster.............and neither had enough brakes. Crazy rpm's once on the pipe.

Leland
Old December 05, 2018, 23:52   #28
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUUN063 View Post
This big engine is a two stroke. Also, the bike in the background is one I recently purchased in pieces. I put it together and got it running. I'll squirrel it away until I get time for it. I think I may keep this one, it's a 1976 Yamaha RD400 (2 cyl., 2 stroke). They were nicknamed "giant killers" because they would run. But, I did also have a Kawasaki 500 Mach III triple, as well. It was even faster.............and neither had enough brakes. Crazy rpm's once on the pipe.

Leland
That 2 stroke thing explains a lot. I have been staring at the pics and just realized there were no rocker arms on the cylinder head.

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old December 06, 2018, 00:57   #29
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
I spent a week in 1985 with a blood relative knocking around the oilfields outside of Cut Bank Montana.

The pumpjacks were powered by engines fueled from the sour gas off the wellhead.

The largest were water cooled Fairbanks-Morse 503s that Texaco had surplussed off in the 1930s.

Curious machines to start up.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 10:37   #30
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
All of the engines in the Southern Illinois oils fields were powered by well gas. Lots of coal mines and oil wells so methane was readily available. Converting yours to commercial gas should be relatively easy.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 11:17   #31
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
My Dad had was messing with a McCormick Deering 1/1/2 horse hit & miss motor along time ago and my Brother-in-law got the bright idea to lay a 2X4 against the flywheel and put pressure on it with his foot. He started to bare down on the 2X4 and the motor started to slow down and he got this big ole smile on his face because he thought he was going to stall out the motor and just when he smelled success the motor fired and the ole flywheels started spinning again and then he soon lost his smile, he tried a couple more times but finally gave up.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 11:18   #32
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, Michigan is filled with machinery from the dawn of the industrial age. Engines such as yours, both internal combustion and steam are to be found in all sizes from the minuscule to the ridiculously huge. Any gear head would be in dreamland walking around the place.

Wyadotte, Michigan is the home of an annual model engineering expo. Same gear head stuff, but done in miniature scale. Hit and miss. Steam locos. Quite impressive to see scale model race cars with v-8 and v-12 engines running. Thinking of the fine detail and craftsmanship that goes into those tiny engines makes my head hurt.

Always wanted a smaller hit and miss, but never could find one at a reasonable price. Have no idea what I would do with one other than admire how they are so cool in their simplicity and rugged construction. It still has them running after a century. Gotta love that.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 11:47   #33
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
What would be cool is if you could actually power something with it. Boy those were the days. No machine guards and no little stickers. Darwin awards were easier to get back then
Funny you mention that. Grandfather's youngest brother was killed long before I was born, but the story told by the surviving brothers was he was the one drinker in a family of So. Baptists, showed up drunk at the lumber mill one day and got tangled up in the flywheel. Apparently you couldn't stop them by hand, but your entire torso would get the job done. Happened in the mid 1930s I think.

Darwin award indeed.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 12:24   #34
boman
Registered

FALaholic #: 395
Leland, looks like a cool toy to fool around with. I haven't been in quite awhile but there used to be a weekend meet at Battleground where you could see all sizes, hit and miss and steam. was really enjoyable talking to the guys about their engines. Now I just go to the Ind. state fair and they run all kinds of things with them there and really enjoy looking at the old tractors.

Steve
Old December 06, 2018, 14:43   #35
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
What does the entire thing weigh? 5-6000 lbs? More? I'm curious how long that thing would run off a 500 gallon propane tank. With a decent genny head coupled to it. I think that would even run off of fairly crude oil. The old Deere tractors you'd start on a higher octane like gasoline,then could switch over to a cheaper oil once they warmed up. A friend has an old B his gramps used to run that way.
Even the frame under that engine is seriously beef-steak..
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 14:54   #36
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:

Leland

My veterinarian has one he built to look like a TZ750 with Tablock magnesium wheels. Really sharp in Yamaha yellow with checkerboards.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 15:29   #37
FUUN063
Registered

I believe this engine would run on just about any type of fuel, even some liquid fuels if adapted. I'm going to run this one on propane. Guys around these parts do that so that they can transport the cylinders easy enough and then run down to the local convenience store if they run out during a show. I have since removed those nasty bolt studs sticking out from the other side's flywheel so that I don't get into it if not paying too close attention during oiling or some such. Also, I literally have a big grin on my face right now because I just fired it once on some ether sprayed directly into the spark plug hole. Now, I gotta get a 1" wide governor belt made up and some sort of layout for the cooling lines/tank.

Leland
Old December 06, 2018, 16:22   #38
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
I wish i could find an old ww1 or ww2 era aircraft or blimp engine for cheap .... buuuut i live on the wrong continent for finding that....

That is some serious iron there!!!!!
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 20:12   #39
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNfreak View Post
Stimpy,
There once was one up on Yahoola Creek just below Dahlonega at the old Crown Mountain Gold mines behind the Blue Grass Music park throughout the 80's and early 90's. (probably 50-75 yards down stream of the new ball fields now) The shed was partially collapsed around it, but it was complete with all the old rotten belts and overhead transfer bars /reduction "gears" (not sure what they are called) laying around. The stamp mill was still standing but I think has since collapsed. It powered a massive wooden wheel probably 6-8 feet in diameter that ran the crusher and stamp mill. The wheel surface for the belts was 2-3 feet wide! It was impressive. Probably long gone now. I'll help you load it in your truck if its still there...

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2018, 08:29   #40
vmtz

FALaholic #: 1125
There is a super cool steam engine museum in England at Kew Bridge. As I recall, there was a really large steam engine that powered the water system in London there. It was still working.

Here are a couple of videos from there.

It was one of the best museums I have ever been to.

Vince
Old December 07, 2018, 16:08   #41
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Built in Grove City, Pa and then shipped to Oklahoma to the oil fields. Here is a copy of the original receipt for the engine back in 1926.

Leland
I work about 5-min from the old Cooper Bessemer plant. Buildings are still there but mostly empty. Some smaller company leases part of it.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2018, 16:45   #42
FUUN063
Registered

Yeah, Byron, they forwarded us to Texas. There is a guy there that claims they still have some parts for these old workhorses. He is also the guy that sent this copy of the receipt and also a copy of the original parts manual.

I should also tell you guys that once spark is made, there is a rush by motor guys to get it to fire at least once to ease tensions about whether it will run or not. So............I pulled the spark plug, turned the flywheels over to where I thought was the beginning of the compression stroke and then shot a large amount of ether inside the spark plug hole. Quickly, I screwed in the spark plug and turn the flywheels over. I initially thought I had the entire compression stroke minus about 4 degrees before the mag would fire.......................surprise!!! I was turning it the wrong way. The proper direction is clockwise if looking at the mag side of the engine.

Well, the loudest bang occurred immediately after the flywheel began to turn. I swear my ears are still ringing. But, at least I know it'll fire.....

Leland
Old December 07, 2018, 22:22   #43
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Now all you need to do is locate a workable generator missing a power plant. You could seriously cut down your power bill using this.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old December 07, 2018, 23:01   #44
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
I work about 5-min from the old Cooper Bessemer plant. Buildings are still there but mostly empty. Some smaller company leases part of it.
Didn't Cooper Bessemer supply Diesel engines to the GE locomotive works in the days of the U series locomotives?

"Freedom is not a crime"

Old December 08, 2018, 20:30   #45
Uriah Lee
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
Didn't Cooper Bessemer supply Diesel engines to the GE locomotive works in the days of the U series locomotives?
Cooper Bessemer did indeed supply engines to GE for testing. Later on GE bought out the 7-FDL (locomotive) and 7-FDM (marine) engines. Cooper Bessemer also made diesel engines for 210 foot Coast guard cutters in the 60s as well as for heavy industrial usage.

World war II saw the rise of Cooper Bessemer as a big contributor to the war effort with diesel engine and industrial compressor production. Cooper no longer produces diesel engines and at one time even owned Garner-Denver, which was sold off.

Who knows what they do now or if they are still around anymore.
Old December 09, 2018, 19:35   #46
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
Cooper Bessemer did indeed supply engines to GE for testing. Later on GE bought out the 7-FDL (locomotive) and 7-FDM (marine) engines. Cooper Bessemer also made diesel engines for 210 foot Coast guard cutters in the 60s as well as for heavy industrial usage.

World war II saw the rise of Cooper Bessemer as a big contributor to the war effort with diesel engine and industrial compressor production. Cooper no longer produces diesel engines and at one time even owned Garner-Denver, which was sold off.

Who knows what they do now or if they are still around anymore.
From the Knox County Ohio history site:

In 1965 The Cooper-Bessemer Corporation diversified into Cooper Industries, with the Mount Vernon and Grove City, Pa., operations comprising the energy segment of the business. Two years later, the Cooper Industries headquarters relocated to Houston, Texas. In 1995, local Cooper operations were spun off from Cooper Industries to Cooper-Cameron, and in 1999, Cooper-Cameronís Mount Vernon Works became Rolls-Royce Energy Systems, Inc., and in 2014 became part of the worldwide Siemens Energy Corporation.

http://www.knoxhistory.org/index.php...e-cooper-story

Old December 09, 2018, 19:54   #47
Uriah Lee
Registered

That pretty much ties up all the loose ends in the history of Cooper Bessemer. Sad to see a major player in industrial technology being absorbed by a foreign entity.

FUUN063 has to be applauded for seeing that an old timer like that is preserved and maintained in running condition. What he has there is living history and not just a picture in a book or static display. Imagine a wide eyed child seeing an old relic of the past operating for the first time. Museums are great places for learning, but seeing an old timer running in real life is priceless. Good on ya!
Old December 09, 2018, 20:21   #48
J308
Registered

FALaholic #: 7448
Well done. Looking forward to vid of it running. An old feller a few miles from here found a very old steam donkey engine, buried in a mineshaft tailings pile for the last 80 years. Somehow he got it to his shop ( damn thing is close to 10 feet high), tore it down, put it back together, and fired it up. Yes, it is every bit as cool as you think it is and maybe cooler...
J308 is online now   Reply With Quote