Notices

Old May 14, 2017, 18:52   #551
Exit308
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post

Good thing the Russians have a history of being effeminate surrender monkeys who would curl into a ball if faced with a papercut. And do not have the gear to return the favour because they are a nation of illiterates.
Well, I can attest that the Russians admire many things that the Frankish culture offers. Laying down arms is not one of them, painful paper cuts notwithstanding.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 06:40   #552
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
My house has one of the best recommended end and the shown devices except UPS's instead of power strips.

At work the three phase version.

Many install these and think they are fine. Installs in-line with with panel and supposed to protect entire house. What about your phone line? That might be the largest amount of copper wire interconnected world wide.

How about your cable television wire.

I prefer gas tube over most for service entrances as can replace tubes only rather than entire device. Are all your lines entering structure tied to a common ground? Phone techs and cable/satellite guys are worst about not pulling a wire to your electrical ground but if don't any impulse is getting in that way.

This is one of my arrestor boxes for radio equipmemt, has double the lines and arrestors now and had to install a second.

Come inside then even with entire panel protection and low voltage lines protected have over a dozen UPS's in house and two dozen at work for mosfets to back up gas tubes and other mosfets. At work have over 80 ground rods bonded with a double run of 2,000 feet of copper. Have mix of stainless and copper connectors and Cadwell bonds to ensure wires don't rot off the rods. Your rods and connectors need partially excavated and inspected every decade at the least. Three rods is minimum at severe panel entrance. At home use a halo ground system with about 20 ground rods including a few multipiece can keep driving till hit bedrock. Friend does a lot of government ground work and often drives 20 to 40 feet of rod anchoring each corner of ground system. Also have two rooms at work and home that entire rooms are Faraday caged. Inside them have Faraday boxes to store spare fuses, electrical parts and complete equipment.

EMP is no joke and if it hits only the best prepared might have systems survive. By time an EMP gets to my computer the power has been filtered three times and computer is running off DC inverter side of industrial UPS. The DSL line was protected at service entrance, just before router and then before critical devices. And I don't kid myself, if a lightning bolt travels a few miles from clouds to ground are my preps going to shunt it or is it going to crispy fry them on way to devices? Why have spare devices put away, unattached till needed. A tin foil hat or single device that's plug and play won't save your electronics from a lightning strike, solar flare or nuclear EMP. Triple redundancy with stunning ground system a little luck and might keep your stuff up. Is your HVAC compressor isolated with suppressors? It's nothing but a big antenna waiting to feed an impulse back into an otherwise we'll protected facility. Every single wire entering a structure better be covered. Have more money invested in my surge protection systems than most have in a car. If needed, might just keep a few things. Gotta jet or this would become the wall of all walls of text.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat

Last edited by hueyville; May 19, 2017 at 06:46.
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2017, 12:36   #553
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
Just a note that in DHS EMP has moved from around #40 to #3 threat issue. This is because of the new leadership and the situation that we are now in.
Anyway, thing of interest was the Strategic Coal Reserve. Interesting! During the 50s and 60s the govt bought hard coal, processed it, cleaned it and stored it. These storage areas were literally valleys they filled in with the coal, put topsoil over them and planted grass and trees. The properties were held by large corporations (the one I saw was US Steel, 12,000 acres). I found this as I was looking into the Air Force strategic information libraries ( same deal, libraries hidden away to be recovered later under COG plans). All of this got slowed down in the late 70s and under Clinton eliminated. Lot of the information was held in the old Defense Mapping Agency and literally burned in the 90s.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017, 09:32   #554
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Just a note that in DHS EMP has moved from around #40 to #3 threat issue. This is because of the new leadership and the situation that we are now in.

See also OP-ED WSJ June 9th 2017
http://hotair.com/headlines/archives...ut-the-lights/
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 20:37   #555
badzero
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
Can anyone guess what the effects of an emp will be on the airbag igniters found in nearly every vehicle on the road today?

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 20:50   #556
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
Originally Posted by badzero View Post
Can anyone guess what the effects of an emp will be on the airbag igniters found in nearly every vehicle on the road today?
My guess is nothing.
Needs a command from the sudden stop thingy going off and EMP should just fry the circuits, so nothing????
If or when an EMP goes off, would not want to start my new life after having an airbag fire off in my face while driving 75 or 80 mph out here.
Would already be a bad enough day without that.
Old June 21, 2017, 21:32   #557
badzero
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
I would suppose that command from the sudden stop thingy is going to be voltage down a wire.

They aren't that complicated, small detonator, with a small charge, apply 12 vdc and boom. I'm going to go out on a limb and say everyone driving when it happens is going to get a face full. What it is, is important to remember as they may not all go off.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017, 10:21   #558
NHBandit
Registered

FALaholic #: 7986
I spent half my life working in and managing salvage yards. Air bags are set off by a 12 volt charge being sent to them via the air bag controller which in turn gets it's signal from the sensors behind the grille. We used to set them off for fun by connecting jumpers wires from a car battery to the plug on the back of the air bag. No voltage, no deployment. You should see how far up in the air you can launch a couch with 4 air bags...
Old June 22, 2017, 11:36   #559
xtremerange
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4305
My question is how close to 12 volts does it need to be and for how long?
Old June 22, 2017, 13:42   #560
NHBandit
Registered

FALaholic #: 7986
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerange View Post
My question is how close to 12 volts does it need to be and for how long?
No clue if it can be less than 12 volts. I would assume so. As for how long it's instant. It has to be for the air bag to deploy before your face hits the windshield..
Old June 22, 2017, 23:33   #561
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
FEMA Is Preparing For A Solar Storm That Would Take Out The Grid

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Administration) is planning for a massive solar storm that would be so strong, it would take down the power grid. Noting that the rare, yet “high-consequence” scenario has “the potential for catastrophic impact on our nation and FEMA’s ability to respond.”

According to unpublished FEMA documents obtained by Government Attic, a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) database and non-profit organization, the Department of Homeland Security agency once mapped out a disaster plan for the occurrence of another geomagnetic “super storm” like the one the occurred in 1859.

READ MORE