Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old March 22, 2018, 12:49   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Squirrel Invasion

Have four pecan trees at home and four at work, odd how that worked out. Because of the pecans and squirrel mostly unchecked it's a challenge to keep them out of house and work. House is brick with metal roof and work is concrete with metal roof but they always seem to find ways to infiltrate and hide pecans in attics. Used to keep count and every year would shoot over 300 at work before lost count and over 100 at home. Neighbors help some around the house as do feral cats and coyote.

At home have learned range of my match grade 10/22's so soon as realize opened the door they go for treeline at lake fast as possible but now I don't bother with rimfire and just bring 30 grain Varmint Grenades for the 22 Hornets up by the 100 count box. If they pause in sight they get zapped. Have motion sensors for alarms in attics at work and house. Best way to attack structures with alarms and real locks is come through roof and drop in ceiling plus can often get access to alarm wires. Somehow they have gotten in attic of shop and can't find point of entry so after two false alarms have the attic motions shunted till get issue fixed.

Today unlocked shop and spent first hour in front office on computer. Later went back through shop and heard commotion to see three squirrels running in circles freaking out when turned lights on. All ran in paint booth so closed door and went to get my 22 caliber pellet rifle. Opened door and one was on top of a Harley Davidson frame chattering at me so shot it in chest which caused it to jump and run to corner. Closed door and went to get a target 10/22 that use with 40 grain subsonic target ammo.

I shoot hundreds of squirrel per year with Aguila 60 grain Sniper Subsonic and most die instantly. Shot first with the 40 grain sub right above shoulder and he turned a flip then ran. Shot another up its @$$ and it ran, used to the 60 grain subs dropping them from 50 to 75 yards and the 40's were just wounding them at 10 to 20 feet. All I can figure is they were so pumped with adrenaline didn't realize were supposed to die. Shot third in head which did work but exiting bullet busted a light bulb as spray booth has lots of lights. Went to find the wounded pair which both backed up to wall and with muzzle just a few feet away (had to point shoot as scope would not focus) the point blank range shots just sent them running in a tizzy again. Two shots in each and running leaking blood everywhere so closed the door then went back in 20 minutes and cleaned up the remains.

Now it's war, since the have gotten smart at work and learned to cross property line past rimfire range when I come out looks like I am going to have to thread a 22 magnum or Hornet for a can. Called animal control just for grins to see if they would do anything but said they couldn't to call a pest removal service to trap them. Going to suppress a bigger 22 caliber and try poison as sick of them. Used to be fun diversion to shoot a few squirrel per day but now they are in the building and am going to go Kujo on them. Any ideas of how to kill squirreloading in mass? If shoot a dozen today a dozen more will take their place tomorrow. TwO sides of property adjoins city limits where no shooting is allowed. My building is city as well as neighbor next door and across street but can't shoot across the road. Need a way to kill them wholesale.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 15:16   #2
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Like you said, if you kill them, others will take their place.
A small dog (like a terrier) may be your best bet, as the squirrels will quickly learn to avoid a predator.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 16:08   #3
ROBBO
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9777
maybe try those rat bait traps they put out by the loading docks at warehouse stores?
if you put them up in your trees shouldn't be a threat to your dog or other ground based critters.
I put bait blocks on my roof last year and got rid of a family of coons (and some squirrels)that were gnawing the shingles something fierce
ROBBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 18:40   #4
Thomas
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7451
varmits

kill the food and they will leave. Chainsaw time.
Old March 22, 2018, 19:34   #5
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Yesterday our boxer killed a squirrel and left it laying in the driveway behind the house.

An hour or so later I happened to be looking out the window and a hawk flew in and carried it off.

Squirrel dead. No body to dispose of.

Buy a boxer and a hawk

Old March 22, 2018, 20:40   #6
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
I hate squirrels, they drive the dogs nuts and keep them barking. I don't have so many that I cant control them with my .410 pump, but I can imagine building a trap that would just keep dumping them in a cage. Then throw the badass cat in there to finish them off. Frank (the cat) hates them too. He likes to leave chunks on the porch to validate his existence.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 21:06   #7
kwthor
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 49571
I use CCI Mini-Mag HP in my 10-22
or #6 shot in my Vepr-12 with x-full choke.

Usually am the most successful firing from concealment.
In my open orchard I can only get close enough with a portable shooting blind. I have to sit in blind for about 15 min and then they start coming out. They don't seem to be as afraid of the noise as they are if they see you.

As you know this takes a considerable amount of time.

I feel your pain. A single squirrel can eat and store up to 50 lbs. of nuts.
At current prices that is $40 - $50 so I justify it by the math. Two squirrels and hour is $80 - $100. It goes up from there.
Old March 22, 2018, 21:30   #8
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I use paintballs filled with pepper powder. Pop one over their heads and let the pepper settle down on them. Drives them mad. Funny as hell watching lying on a branch panting like a dog with their legs hanging down to cool off. After a while ( a couple of days) they quit coming around. I live inside the city limits and am pretty sure the local PD would not smile at me using a 22 to reduce that critter population.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 07:04   #9
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
Good luck with those pecan trees, my buddy hade a few in his yard and those dam things would get at them no matter what. Good luck with your hunt.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 10:14   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

If think pecan trees are bad ought to have fig trees. When our figs are just beginning to mature and not quite ready to pick squirrels travel from all over the south to attack our figs. Luckily I have fought off every attempt for city to annex my property and why two sides are city and two county based on how hard headed property owners are. Same fire station dispatches if fire alarm pops, same water line and utilities but have to wait on Sherrifs Department instead of P.D. but have friends on P.D. that keep a sharp eye when patrolling street as both have to do so. One has suppressed rimfire and on occasion see a patrol car pull in parking lot, window come down a couple inches and puff of smoke from my surveillance cameras.

Always let the bodies lie where they fall home and work. Feral cats get most but at house on occasion coyote come in for free meal. Being 1/4 mile from new city limits at house and surrounded by city at work there are zillions of squirrel. Been a 30 year battle and actually enjoy the endless stream of killimg. Only use Aguila Sniper Subsonic 60 grain rimfire for squirrel and groundhogs. Go through almost two bricks per year and rule is no misses, if not 100% sure of shot don't take it and the 60 grain drop them everytime but the 40 grain match pisses them off.

We now have ground hogs and coyote in city and lots of small yip dogs are being grabed by coyote from leashes as owners take for walk. Our stupid rules of no shooting in city have created an ecosystem of small, skinny overabundance of small varmints. Some may think its not ethical but now have a new personal policy in city. If see squirrel, ground hog or coyote in road and can change my line withour crossing centerline run them over in my truck. Yesterday turned off main road onto road shop is located and groundhog was crossing road and tried to sprint for the ditch across my lane and became roadkill. Have whacked a few coyote in city limits that choose to not get clear of roadway quickly enough. Have one street can see more than one coyote almost every trip across it. Use it often hoping to see one in my lane but due to L-Back curbs can't hop up on sidewalks which means have to be lucky to get a line on one.

Am not cutting my mature pecan trees. Have been working on wrapping the eve's of both buildings with aluminum and mostly done at house. Last that got in chewed hole through support bottled to side of house for deck allowing entry between suspended ceiling of basement and floor of upstairs. Now keep fresh rat poison with peanut butter swapped out each spring and fall in case they find way around metal flashing added. They find any chinck in metal to get in attic and see them or hear them chewing in side of house all the time. The Hornet is really doing the job at house at culling them when run out of rimfire range. When figs come in or pecans mature they go stupid and I have a killing spree. Would never have believed could kill over 300 per year and always have fresh victims. Kill over a dozen ground hogs in each neighbors yard which keeps them from establishing themselves in mine. Neighbors have asked me to do so and like squirrel if leave where they lie later get to shoot coyote.

Penetrating the old flat rubber roof of shop under the trusses steel roof to gain entry of building is anot her rule changer. Only fooD is in refrigerator or steel storage containers so unsure why getting in building now but shop does have indoor range and concrete walls so except for being careful about shooting equipment or supplies, it's game on if they get inside. Not had rats or mice in years and now have to bear down on path in holes with metal and killing outside before get inside. Took my big A5 loaded with duplex rounds and removed all nests from trees and was suprised how many squirrel hit the ground as swept the nests till totally gone. I like killing varmints so it's kind of fun long as keep property damage minimized.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 23, 2018, 10:48   #11
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Yes, removing the good source will help
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 11:37   #12
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
How about traps - I am sure some ingenuity can be gathered. You say they get up into the attic space etc.... How about those shot gun shell triggers! They walk through a pipe set off a sensor and the shell goes off and shocks the critter to death - or a repeater! perhaps a dustbin with a flip top and bait. They jump up for a placed load of nuts, and they flip into the dustbin 1/4 full of water - I am sure you could be creative!

Watch this 'proven' Squirrel genocide 'how to' video - lots of jibberjabba until the 2.25 minute mark!

or this Co2 mechanism -

or this -

Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 12:57   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Very odd timing but went by house at lunch to check on wife. There was a crew of men working on house next door with trailer that said "Vinyl & Aluminum Siding". Neighbor was watching them work so walked over and asked what was up. Said squirrels were invading his house so bad had to do something so the crew was wrapping the eves and fascia boards with mix of aluminum and coated metal. His brick is masonry as well with shingle roof but the squirrel are chewing through eves and getting in attic them coning down walls and popping out all over the house, even basement.

Saw me piecing mine as time permits and said can't do himself so hiring it done. Rear of house I have not completed because its a 25 foot drop to hard pack except where deck is and did that part off step ladder. Also have some areas around peaks of eves each end still unfinished so asked the guy who owned the business if interested in finishing mine. Have a 28 foot extension ladder and dislike using it and afraid driving bucket truck across septic tank will cause more issues than squirrels. 28,000 GVWR truck in the septic tank might suck. Have about 30 feet each end of rear of house and last ten feet to peak of eve on either end but his price to wrap exactly 100 feet using materials already on site was appalling so will get the big ladder out soon as can talk a couple friends into helping.

Started trapping as a kid. Fox pelts helped pay or my first few guns bought with money earned myself and have a triple set of most popular sizes for small to medium fur bearing granimals found in southeast. Only dead of winter or tail end of winter fox were worth anything from the northeast Georgia mountains as summers are son hot most critters only have decent fur a couple or three months out of the year. We had a few bobcat wandering around the farm back then but dad said not to purposely trap any. Did catch a few raccoons but so many coon hunters were not very valuable around here.

Where I made best money as a kid was trapping beaver and being paid a bounty direct by landowners along with trapping and killing other varmints. Had one turnip farmer that paid me $20 per groundhog back in the 1970's and for a teen that was big money in the day. He did not allow me to trap them as had a lot of dogs and had found one in somebody's trap which loss of a good coon dog was a bad thing around here. Had a couple corn farmers that paid me to shoot crow starting the day after planting and till corn plants got too big a crow could not pulll the plant out of ground to eat the seed portion. One paid a buck per crow then the other raised him to two bucks as they planted same time. Shoot a couple dozen crow in a day and was lots of fun plus plenty of primer and pwder money in the 70's as well.

Always wanted to catch an otter but were hard to find and lots of work for nothing so didn't put any effort into them but once. There are lots of ways to rap squirrel and rat traps attached to tree limbs works well but at house cant get my bucket truck in back yard. At work have put many a trap in trees and will catch a fair number then suddenly they smarten up like learning the range of a rimfire then sitting on limb chattering at you like they are flipping you a bird. The 22 Hornet deals death but they know when my truck pulls out they have free reign.

Anyone know if electric fence will discourage them if not touching anything grounding them? could run a set of insulators around underside edge of even denying them access of going up chimney and walls. they can also use the deck to get to the eves. My guess if just will get done with all the metal work will at least keep them out of the house and can keep the murdering spree going. Trapping looks much easier but shooting is more fun. Am thinking now about a trap or traps that catch them then has a little gating system like a horse or cattle corral that allows one in at time as open the trap door then can open other end to release then as the run can shoot them.

Gives them a sporting chance of escape and like shooting skeet could pull the string, release a squirrel from the trap and zap it as runs. Then would have t start doing "doubles" to increase the challenge and if catch enough invite friends over. Maybe set up traps at work then take the captured victims home for release to run the gauntlet of fire. This is sounding like a great idea, live trap then release in controlled manner at home and shoot them like its free. Going to enter this years Georgia Coyote Challenge. Some counties pay $10 per dead coyote but have to haul their dead @$$ in for the bounty and might burn more gas than would get unless carried in several per trip. I like killing varmints.
Old March 23, 2018, 13:28   #14
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
only one answer

remove the food source ! !
replant with other tree types in fall.
Air rifles inside city limits are the answer to "small" amounts of PESTS.
My air rifle has served with great distinction over the years to dispose of, skunks, raccoon, rabbits, rats, squirrels, pest birds, etc.
If your problem is that big . . . . . remove the food source.
Scout10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 15:49   #15
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I actually am fond of my squirrels. I don't have too many and they stay out of the roof, and gives my dog some exercise chasing them. Squirrels in South Africa were rare, I mean almost like wolverine rare here, so I let then live for the most part. My wife on the other hand, wants to kill all squirrels and possums on sight..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 20:09   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout10 View Post
remove the food source ! !
replant with other tree types in fall.
Air rifles inside city limits are the answer to "small" amounts of PESTS.
My air rifle has served with great distinction over the years to dispose of, skunks, raccoon, rabbits, rats, squirrels, pest birds, etc.
If your problem is that big . . . . . remove the food source.
Sixty plus year old mature pecan trees that provide majority of shade around both locations. If replanted with oak or other quality hardwood odds are I would be dead and buried before large enough to provide the shade my mature pecan trees do and then would have no pecans either. They are part of my SHTF end of civilized world plan. Pecans to eat plus will draw in animals to shoot for additional food.

Wife loves fresh figs as well and if have to spend rest of my life shooting squirrel will just keep my trigger skills sharp. But layering with some of the trap options seems like it might make the job easier even if club them in the head with a stick after caught. Will keep hardening home as makes makes it more maintenance free, reduces chance of fire wrapping what little wood is left in metal and rather than scrape, sand and repaint eve's every few years will just have to pressure wash as materials using have a longer life expectancy on finish than I do now. If cut the pecan trees at home would most likely wake up on morning soon after with fork stabbed through my eye and wife sweating to cops it was suicide.
Old March 24, 2018, 01:29   #17
Texas Jaguar
Registered

FALaholic #: 6874
Peanut Butter + Cyanide= No squirrels. Put it up in the trees so none of your dogs get dosed. I don't believe care for Peanut Butter but who knows, you may get 2 for 1 in that deal.

Baiting traps with Peanut Butter works too. Grand Pa got commodity Peanut Butter to lure the squirrels away from his bird feeders. It worked but he pretty well cornered the market on the little beggars in Southern Pines for a number of years. Over half of the barrel was left when he passed away. One of the neighbors took it over when the house sold.
Texas Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018, 08:01   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Jaguar View Post
Peanut Butter + Cyanide= No squirrels. Put it up in the trees so none of your dogs get dosed. I don't believe care for Peanut Butter but who knows, you may get 2 for 1 in that deal.
When my dad retired fifth time started building high dollar bird houses and feeders. Would go to fall festivals and big fairs selling bird houses at prices up to $500 each and could pull in a couple grand in a day at right venue. Actually built a custom camper shell with fold up sides and rear to display his bird houses and feeders. Birds are odd and based on design of house or feeder can attract specific species of birds that might have special meaning to someone or be good for removing a certain lawn/garden insect they want to control so he was always putting up houses and feeders to test if they attracted species he wanted and squirrel went Chernobyl on him.

He did the poison thing and some as we're dying but not dead had dogs eat squirrel and get really sick with one small one dying. Also began to find sick and dying scavengers around his place. Have to think about poison outside of house but neighbor has the most aggrevating dog that if ate a dozen poison squirrel would make my wife's life much better as he howls at sunrise like a rooster. I am already up so it's minor issue for me. Some of those trap designs look easy and effective. Just load with a few nice pecans and their last meal.

Finishing squirrel proofing house will be big help. Do same to work and what don't trap keep shooting. Hard to believe can shoot over 300 per year every year for over a decade and there seem to be more now than when started. The removing food source crowd go home and cut down your wives four favorite trees and pull up her there favorite bushes. For me means calling a tree service now to not hurt house and clean up yard, stump grinding service and then have four little container grown trees size of twigs with no shade and mad wife. Nope, not spending a few grand to piss off the wife and plenty of people around here without them have same problem. Actually been stories in local paper and talk radio about issues people are having. Did Google search and we now have ten wildlife removal services advertising in town now not counting pest control companies.
Old March 25, 2018, 16:36   #19
FAL4EVER
Registered

FALaholic #: 13671
Im at the edge of city limits. No shooting from, into or over city lands, not even pallet guns. Our yard seems to be a squirrel sanctuary. When we moved in, our neighbor asked what we were going to do with the black walnut tree. What???
I know now what he was talking about. You need a construction helmet in the fall to pass the tree and the damn squirrels toss m at ya. We even got albinos here. I tried the fake owl with the twisting head, but they dont care. A suppressed 22 out of the back door would do it, but Im not going to take the risk. Ive seen coyotes around here, I wouldnt mind them being even closer.
May have to look at the poison route.
Old March 25, 2018, 22:50   #20
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I have two property lines at work that across fence is zoned city and other two along with my lots are zoned county. Used suppressed rifle with Kidd barrel, nice 2 pound trigger and 22 rimfire BDC scope. Make sure no shot go into city or miss. Sometimes have to let a few walk but when sure pop them. If they stop on side of tree where a miss or shoot through means hit tree trunk and they die. Even with passing on half the ones I see as risky shots still get to kill a couple hundred a year with low risk shots.
Old March 26, 2018, 21:54   #21
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
fry those critters & make gravy from the roux, you is wastin food boy.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018, 12:42   #22
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I like that A24 rodent trap from New Zealand. A little pricey but just what I need.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2018, 19:52   #23
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
OK! Here We Go!

First clean Your Squirrels and rinse well. Cut the quarters off. Split them to get them off. Shoulders and Hams are good. The ribs ain't much and not really worth fooling with. Spread them out and Beat them down to about 1/4 inch with a tenderizing hammer, add a dash of salt for now, we'll season it later. Place them in a bowl, covered in Butter-Milk, overnight.
In the Morning, get a bowl of flour and ad salt, pepper, a dash of cumin and a dash of red pepper. Take the squirrel and batter them and lay them out on a pan, plate or something not to stack them. Save the Flour mix. Set them in a cold fridge for now.
Get a frying pot and Frying pan out. The frying pot needs to be slow warming with oil. In the Fry Pan go ahead and cook some eggs and set aside.
Start some biscuits in the oven. I don't make homemade biscuits but there are some good frozen bag biscuits. Whatever, get a mess going!
In the fry pan start about 5-6 strips of bacon.
Take the Sguirrel out of the fridge and batter again in the flour. This time when you lay them out, Put them in the freezer.
In the fry pan, you're gonna fix White Gravy. Take the Bacon out and You are gonna add 2-3 heeping spoons of flower and about two coffee cups of water. You need to stir this well with a fork and don't let anything clump or burn. You can cheat a little by putting the flour and water in a Mason jar and shaking it until it is thoroughly mixed. Then add it to the warm Bacon grease. KEEP STIRRING!
By this point the squirrel is ready to go! Drop them in the fry grease and slow fry(that means kinda a low fry heat) until golden-brown.
While they are frying, add about a coffee cup and a half of white milk(low/2% OK). Stir it well and don't let anything stick!
Get the Biscuits out the Oven!!!!
Ok, at this point You have fried Squirrel on Paper-towels. Eggs ready, a mess of Biscuits and Gravy.
You Got it from Here!
After you Master this, You will Never have ANY problems with excess annoying squirrels or anything like that!

PS: The Squirrels should be fine this time of year. If it has been regularly warm or Hot, the Old practice was to not hunt Squirrel until after the first frost. In the warmer months, they'll get these mights on them but they will be clearly obvious on/in the skin.
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2018, 08:58   #24
wanneroo
Registered

I've got one of those A24 traps on the way from Amazon so we will see how well it works.
Old April 03, 2018, 16:01   #25
Liberty Prime
Registered

FALaholic #: 79325
Hardheaded pretty much won the thread. For those of you who realize that dark meat is superior to light meat, squirrel is hard to beat.

My brother and I went squirrel hunting in February for the first time since we were kids. Saw countless squirrels when we were hunting deer in January. Even had a squirrel walk up to me while I was sitting on the ground. I guess they saw that Savage .270 and took notice.

Because I damn sure didn't see a single one in February when we had the .22's out.
Liberty Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2018, 08:20   #26
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

One of my great aunts up till her death would cook up a big batch of squirrel dumplings anytime we dropped off enough. She did the cleaning and skinning just like the chickens for Sunday dinner. Men folk process the bigger items in my family and women the smaller. My grandmother was heck with a hatchet when she went in the chicken pen and mom would but didn't like it. I let the feral cats eat them or wait for the coyotes. Got a triple from tree at work the other day then double from same tree same day. Have figured out which tree they are using to access house and getting one or two every couple days. When able need to trim some limbs.
Old April 04, 2018, 16:04   #27
wanneroo
Registered

The A24 trap is here and hopefully I will have time to get it set up tomorrow.
Old April 07, 2018, 13:05   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Last night had wrath of God flooding rain and wife said heard squirrels in the attic. When got home from Saturday morning Bible study, trip by work, every tool shop in town, LGS back and forth getting tools for them were two squirrels in the main leaping off tree to eve of house. By time got to side door, unlocked, grabbed the Hornet they were clear of rear fence and high in the Poplar trees outside of fence. Had clear shot on one and dropped him clean then other went for a nest so came in. Few minutes later wife spotted the other working way back into yard so slipped out and we did the dance. Squirrel tried to maneuver and keep to blind side of trees or make fast moves as went for next tree.

Finally got a clean shot at abut 60 yards, had the first stage taken up and shot through shoulder but hit low and his opposite front leg fell off and he jumped up on limb trying to balance all blower up and missing a front leg. Wife was watching from kitchen window and heard her break squelch and in earpiece said hit tad low and removed the opposite leg high and he just didn't know he wasn't dead yet, don't waste another dime on second Varmint Grenade. He just sat there wobbling about 20 seconds then just fell off limb and hit gourd next to his leg dead as a stone.

Have orders before leaves fully bloom to take one of the big Browning A5's with load of duplex shells and sweep all the nests from trees. We leave during winter as know they will usually run for a nest and can get some lead and wait for them to pause. Summer is coming, leaves will obscure them if get that high so this weekend is nest removal duty. Wife and I use varmint killing as live fire tactical practice for zombies. She glasses the yard when have multiple targets and as I focus on one she keeps eyes out for others and spots shots. Unsure if need a couple clicks of elevation adjustment or if steep angle of some recent shots have caused low hits getting a lot of hits low shoulder instead of high and removing their hearts and lungs. Seen more front legs amputated lately than in past years but the Varmint Grenades are he!! on squirrel as come apart abut time of exit as the disentigrate inside of ground hogs and coyote just shutting them down, often with no exit wounds 100% energy dump in varmint.

The new mostly Kidd built 10/22 is proving to be heck on chipmunks and wife enjoys spotting them for me. Having a well trained spotter almost doubles my efficiency at killing yard vermin and wife cheers now to see a squirrel come apart under the force of the 30 grain varmint grenades in the Hornet using on squirrel. Have a 22 K-Hornet loaded with 36 grain Varmint Grenades for ground hogs and coyote. Have to make sure and grab correct rifle as the 36 grain bullets don't come apart fast enough in squirrel or at all if use on chipmunks. The 30 grain grenades are clocking 3,380 fps from the Hornet and the 36 grain at 3,310 from the K-Hornet. Droppedal several smallish doe with the K-Hornet and 36 grain Varmint Grenades last season. All fell like had a stroke or hit by lightning. Bullet in ear, no exit but their eyeballs come out of the sockets. Wife thinks that kind of gross and doesn't look too close.

So today we are running tactical zombie training using the radios, her with spotting scope and binoculars while I slip round yard with the Savage single shot Hornet killing squirrel. Good for her to get good at prioritizing which target should come next in the call out, spotting where each round hits then getting me back on next squirrel in the kill box. Since the first pair early have three singles and another pair. There were three when got second double but third got clear and pretty sure he became one of the singles later. Now parked on sofa ordering AR parts waiting for a call out while wife is glassing back yard for next squirrel to enter the death zone. Letting her decide which door I exit from and route to take to get best angle. Twice she could have routed me better which we discussed in after action debriefing. If the zombies ever do appear, wife has become a darn good spotter.
Old April 10, 2018, 06:44   #29
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Yesterday noticed the leaves are coming in thick enough that squirrel nests are getting hard to see clearly but not totally obscured. Pulled some home brew duplex rounds which are 3" magnum 12 gauge and loaded with maximum load of #4 buck and BB's. Big ugly destroy whatever they hit rounds, grabbed a scatter gun and screwed in an extra full turkey choke, then put two rounds in each nest. First round on two nests and literally launched squirrel in the air and hit the ground dead. Second shot and other nests due to size were shredded but not totally removed due to protection of limbs. Did rip them up well and have to assume anything in them at time was dead and usually if go outside squirrel make a run for the nests.

Yesterday at work literally had the suppressed 10/22 running like a nail gun. The house next door, business next door and behind me were all unoccupied and actually undergoing renovation and used it to stay busy on rodent duty before leaves get thick. Managed to kill a bakers dozen while keeping busy which must be stupid season because instead of going up and away after first died most were going to ground and running in confused circles. Plan to keep working them hard as I can till leaves get thick then take any safe opportunity till figs and pecans come in and go kujo on them.
Old April 13, 2018, 08:53   #30
wanneroo
Registered

The A24 trap works. Claimed it's first two victims.
Old April 16, 2018, 23:23   #31
yarro
Registered

FALaholic #: 28278
May dad used to raise deer. He was always over run with squirrels, but one year he was overrun with Chipmunks. That summer when I came to visit, I shot over 100 chipmunks in the first 3 days then stopped counting. By day 11, I was down to only shooting two that day. I go home and two weeks later, I am talking to my dad on the phone, and he is complaining about having to shoot blackbirds as hundreds started to show up at once at the deer feeders. I tell him, "At least I got rid of the chipmunks." He replies with, "you can't even tell you shot any now." Rodents suck.

-yarro
Old April 17, 2018, 06:49   #32
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Yummmm Squirrel , I like squirrel on a open fire , slow roast .

********** The Ignore List Works Great **********
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 08:46   #33
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Left home before daylight for Saturday morning Bible study. Came home after to fix breakfast for wife and self and saw squirrels in back yard from kitchen window. Grabbed a single shot Hornet and two spare rounds and when opened side door another lept off eve of house into dogwood tree and with scope on 6x bottom adjustment all I saw was fur in scope so had to ignore and point shoot the bugger. Caught it dead center of body with Varmint Grenade which was a mistake at 15 feet above me. Hit ground mostly separated into a front half and rear half while blood, guts and hair rained on me.

Immediately reloaded the single shot looking for two saw initially only able to find one beyond fence line high in poplar tree. Twisted up to 12x put a Varmint Grenade through spine between front shoulders pushing with any remnants of bullet going into tree. Know first bullet disentigrated when hit squirrel at max velocity so two more buggers gone. Never ending task but keeps sniping skills sharp having to transition from point shooting to doping a 90 yard shot while covered in goo. Went in through basement door and put cloths directly in washer and took shower before redressing and continuing with breakfast.

Have barrels and stocks plus myriad of small parts for another pair of precision 10/22 builds and been holding trying to find a deal in sued 10/22 for donor receiver, bolt and trigger housing. Just ordered a pair of receivers, bolts and trigger housings so can keep a subsonic and high velocity rimfire next to each door. Right now all four of my precision 10/22's that are not put back new in box for investments are set up for subsonic use. Going to order parts for a third build so can have three high velocity rimfires so add midpower mid range rifles rather than just have short range 60 grain subsonic kits and high velocity Hornets. Gotta stay ahead of these guys equipment wise.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:20   #34
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Gotta stay ahead of these guys equipment wise.
I just keep working on them with my $20 Chinese .177 springer; eliminated two this past week. Not as much drama and excitement, but still just as dead.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 16:40   #35
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I just keep working on them with my $20 Chinese .177 springer; eliminated two this past week. Not as much drama and excitement, but still just as dead.
In my yard 99% would be out of range before you shot anything. This was first squirrel kill I have made under 50 yards in weeks. Soon as start turning the knob on the door most go from knowing on the eves to full scale escape and evasion. By time have rifle in hand, out the door and clear shot that are past the rear fence line and 100 feet up a poplar tree. Wife says when I am home she sees squirrel rarely, when I leave they suddenly appear everywhere. Her and neighbors say when I am gone on a nice day there are ground hogs all over their yards but not mine as wife will shoot them.

Wife says can be in kitchen during late afternoon and watching a dozen squirrel in back yard, half dozen ground hogs in neighbors back yard and suddenly they all go in a dead sprint which tells her my truck is turning into the yard. They know the sound of my daily driver truck. If its at home they are scarce till hunger overcomes or they think I may have driven another vehicle. Can come hone in my half ton with 360 and they all stay in place till door closes and side door of house opens as I reach for the Hornet of 10/22 by then all are in a dead sprint for their holes, nests, trees outside of fence line. Same at work, helpers always said when I would leave pecan trees would fill with squirrel and when the squirrel all went in dead sprint for the fence they knew my truck was turning in the parking lot.

Buddy of mine live is population dense community with covenants and has huge problem with squirrel. Went and bought a pellet rifle and said would shoot them and they would just shake it off and run away unless he lucked up with a head shot. Loaned him my 22 caliber pellet rifle and said moment he started turning the door knob they bolted for neighbors yards and he could not drop dead squirrel in his peace freak neighbors yards. I am killing a dozen or more per week per location due to population density and none of my neighbors able to hit them, just send rounds flying around the neighborhood.

For 2018 have almost gone through third 50 count box of 22 Hornet ammo and however many left in magazine of 10/22 from opening box number three of 60 grain Aguilla Sniper Subsonic rimfire. Never take a shot am not 100% sure of which puts me at well over 200 kills at the house and ground hogs have just been out about less than a month. At work am in middle of third box of Aguilla 40 grain subsonic match that run through a mostly Kidd 10/22. Because two property lines are city line can't let a bullet or pellet get off property and all have to be 100% shots when trigger breaks.

That's over 300 squirrel on the year and they never slow down, bet they are chewing on the house right now, heard one on side of building a little while ago and shot him right off the building he was so engrossed in chewing another hole in the eve. From porch next to side door to far corner of property line behind house is 120 yards and regularly reach across the line if one give me a good safe shot. Have 150 yards to far corner of neighbors yard for ground hogs but if catch one 60 yards or closer the 60 grain subsonic rimfire will turn a groundhog off like a light. Farther and I turn them into genetic material with the Hornet.

Just before the leaves came back on the trees I swept all the nests out of the trees using my home-brew duplex shotshells. Next day neighbor asked wife what I was doing with the big shotgun and when she told him he told her to ask me to come over to his house when if got home before dark. I did and swept his trees as well. Shooting at a nest is kind of odd to me if don't sweep them in early spring it gives them a fortress to hide in once leaves fill out. Now they are having to rebuild which gives me more opportunity to catch them in the open. Let nests sit during winter as they will either run toward them or soon grow impatient and exit so know which direction are going to run or if want to sit quiet know where they will come from once get hungry enough to risk coming out.

Wife tells friends and relatives I have literally shot thousands of squirrel and most think she is telling a bit of a tall tale. Some years have pushed a grand total in a 365 day period. They are never ending around then add ground hogs, chipmunks, crow and coyote I kill a lot of varmints. Right now have a 20" 22 Nosler AR and 10" Taurus Raging Hornet revolver in front seat of the truck just for varmints along with a 6.8 in the lock for defense. The Raging Hornet with 4x Leupold pistol scope is some bad juju on surprise ground hogs and coyote. Have a Taurus Tracker in 22 magnum with 10" barrel that lives in my backpack all the time with a red dot. Killing varmints is my favorite sport these days and put real effort into it. With any luck will get to sneak a trip out west to kill prairie dogs this year, have a pile of dog rifles that need some exercise.
Old May 12, 2018, 20:12   #36
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Oh, you're right! I lure them into range using a bird feeder. . It hangs abut 20 feet from my back door on a metal shepherd's hook. I've greased the vertical rod with vaseline and got some good laughs at the squirrels sliding down it like firemen as they tried to climb to the seed. I've pruned back crepe myrtle branches to deny them access that way and have just about cleared them off the feeder.

I've watched through the glass door and saw them freeze at the slightest turning of the knob. There's a sliding screen there too and moving that without the utmost care sends them flying too. Really, with my pellet gun, the squirrels have a better than even chance of escaping my shots most times. I do get lucky sometimes though. Had two clean head shots recently and it was DRT. I hate the damned things and love the challenge of shooting them in my little yard. With a lot of branches above, they have a quick getaway route.

I came from squirrel eating people on both sides of the family and ate my share of them growing up. My dad shot them with the 16ga x 9.3x72R drilling I've showed here a couple times. Had to watch for shotgun pellets most of the time. But fried in a skillet with brown gravy, squirrel was good eating.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2018, 22:01   #37
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Had a great aunt who made best squirrel dumplings could ever want. Now I let fall where lay to attract coyotes for a free meal. Been told WD 40 is great for greasing the pole. With four pecan trees at home and work plus two fig trees at home squirrel can't resist. Am only 1/4 mile from city limit no shoot zone so there is a never ending flow from overpopulated city limits to my place. Work two property lines are city limits other two are not a and fought annexation for 30 years so can shoot rimfire outdoors and have no issues with my indoor range at work.

I am the kind that will drop $2,000 or more just to one up one group of varmints. Friend has large poultry farm and coyote get in a broiler house and will kill 150 chickens to be sure are still they have a meal waiting when return. All my rifles were too big or too small to work his farm. Way it's laid out most shots are 400 to 650 yards. Had plenty of 400 to 500 yard coyote rifles and 600 to 900 but had a mid range gap for coyote when began working his place. Purchased a Tikka in 6.5 factory threaded, added a SIG suppressor and 5-25x Vortex FFP scope. Works his farm like a machine. I feel lots of varmint shooting is bset training a man can do. Never know range till target appears, exact size or always species. Most shots are first round cold bore and if miss may not get a second chance. My 6XC AR 10 and 20" 22 Nosler AR 15 has helped if have multiple bogie or need follow up shot.

Since half my work is in field have developed relationships with dozens and dozens of farmers to shoot varmints over their fields. In high school and college had several farmers that paid large enough bounty on crow (corn farmers), turnip farmers (ground hogs), chickey farmers (any preditors) they paid my annual ammo and components bill and bought the occasional new gun. Love shooting crow as are smart, small and hard to get close to. Had pair of 22-250 Ackley Improved built just for them. Have had all kinds of varmint rifles built along with long range bean field rifles for deer destroying soy bean fields. Love killing things and harder they make, more I have to up my game.

The Taurus Tracker 22 mag, Taurus Raging Hornet in 22 Hornet both are game changers for quick shots when don't have time to fumble with rifle in cab of truck. Only thing that could convince me to retire would be full time varmint killing. Have a TAC SIX barrel for an AR 15 to build 6.8 spc II necked to 6mm and trimmed for long seating of bullets and looking at some more 6mm AR 10 wildcat builds. Need to find another rifle smith for turn bolts as have a couple ideas for wildcatting a couple more turn bolts with idea of basic case design of 6XC with more powder capacity. Guy with verified 2.55" 1,000 yard group at 1,000 in light benchrest is impressive but 6XC while still accurate, does not kill cleanly past 850 yards.

Even the wife is taking to shooting easy dumb squirrel with 10/22 and occasional ground hog with a Hornet if it is too close to our yard. Had a time convincing her letting the bodies lie was better than going out and burying as allowed night time killing of coyote with night vision. One evening left three ground hog in neighbors yard and several squirrel in ours and let her watch using the 6x ATN Gen 2+ while I zapped coyote coming in for meals using my 4x Gen 2+ on 16" SPR build and she realized how coyote were lurking about she wants them dead. Total have her spooked though told her won't attack humans usually. Killing is really the best part of guns and varmints most challenging and always in season.
Old May 13, 2018, 13:55   #38
jdinabqnm
Desert Amazon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 72775
In the bootheel of New Mexico

In far southwest New Mexico it is the jackrabbits, AKA garden mowers, that are the issue. They are huge and eat every thing including the bark on the mesquite bushes. Your gardens and pasture do not stand a chance. When they hit the alfalfa fields it looks like the fields have just been cut right to the ground. All of which has hit the breaking point.

So I picked up a Browning T-Bolt in 22 mag. got it scoped and bought 2000 rds. of Hornady 30gr. V-max ammo and sited in. That was 3 weeks ago and the coyotes have been eating real good 272 jacks to date. They are still eating everything but at lest I am a little less frustrated. I go out for a little therapy every day from 6:00pm to 8:30pm.
jdinabqnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 18:41   #39
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

From AR Piston Drive Thread with Additional Info

Worked on road all day as supposed to start raining tomorrow for five days plus have outpatient nerve block this week. Spent large portion of day in area where we had our roadside sniper two weeks ago and saw over 50 law enforcement vehicles on that corridor with dozens more a couple hundred yards down every crossroad I had a location off it. Was just sure I was going to get stopped with cops watching me wander all over. Even with all the heat because of hot weather ground hogs were everywhere. Shot five really fat ones with my Taurus Raging Hornet at ranges from 25 to 100 yards.

In addition to ground hogs harvested with pistol shot two with a 18" 5.56 Noveske build with Leupold 4-12x in the 150 to 250 yard range. Both were inside my point blank range for ground hogs with that rifle so didn't waste time with range finder. Spent a lot of time doubling back on myself and got lucky enough to catch a coyote chewing on one of my ground hog kills. The three trips back to office unloading and reloading was able to tap three squirrel with a 10/22 plus one early this morning at house with a 22 Hornet. The icing on the cake was while testing a pair of 6.8 piston drive pistol builds in back yard when got home from work....

From an AR 15 discussion group post:

Due to discussion on Bolt Hold Open malfunction with Superlative Arms piston kits and what issue was took both my 6.8 piston pistols out and tested with 6.8 cal ASC, D&H, AR Stoner, Palmetto magazines and 5.56 Lancer L7's. Both of mine worked perfectly with all magazines though the odd Battle Arms Development was engaging too hard but only rifle assembled in years without an M16 Clinic Buffer Pad. The polyurethane buffer pads reduce the beating between buffer and tail of bolt carrier along with fixing bolt overrun issues most times.

Because of the round spring loaded ball did not try to cut hole and make a washer design buffer pad but tomorrow am going to try it as last round bolt lock up was so aggressive that took two to three hard slaps of bolt release to get it to unlock a few times which are classic bolt overrun symptoms. Note ball in center of buffer.

While testing with the tiny 7.5" pistol and the AAC 762SDN-6 looked next door and about 60 yards out was a ground hog frozen. I was shooting and he had to come straight at me to get in his hole which was right between us. He was totally vapor locked standing and facing me, not knowing what to do so I twisted, put red dot center of body and the Speer 90 grain TNT hit him in chest turning him into stew. So much for the little 1:7 barrel over spinning full power ammo, the short barrel losing too much velocity and all that. Had it been a zombie would have left a hole the size of a cantaloupe out its back. Didn't have room to create all the wound channel it wanted to in the hog as plowed a trench in slight uprising lawn behind him wide as a shovel about three feet long and sprayed blood and guts for 25 feet. Never thought I was building a varmint rifle...