The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old April 18, 2017, 11:01   #1
biyf
Registered

FALaholic #: 41593
N.O.S. Colombian Army R. Famage Mauser

Many years ago I picked up a N.O.S. 30-06 Ejercito de Colombia R. Famage 1957 Mauser receiver, chrome lined barrel, and bolt minus extractor. I removed the wax paper and cosmolene myself and everything is pristine. I wanted to restore it and picked up an unfinished original stock from Numrich but couldn't find any more original parts, so I picked up and installed what I could, including:

German trigger housing with elongated magazine to accomodate the 30-06
Yugo extractor, trigger, sear, spring, etc.
Yugo bolt release

If I got it installed into the stock, basically it would be shootable as-is but I still need an upper handguard, all the handguard hardware, magazine follower and magazine spring, as well as front and rear sights if you wanted to shoot open sights.

The main reason I'm posting is because I'd like to either get it to a gunsmith to have it finished as a hunting rifle (Boyd's stock, headspaced, drilled and tapped for a scope) which I would hate to do since it's N.O.S., or perhaps rehome it as-is since I don't really need another hunting rifle. I don't really know what the value of it would be as-is.

I value your opinions either way I end up going with it!
biyf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 19:12   #2
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
Have you searched the gun show vendors >?? I have found many odd parts at GS's,, Id still keep it and continue to restore it ,,Id not mess it up drilling and such.. My Opinion only!

How about buy a complete rifle thats in Not so sweet condition and rob the parts and then use that action/barrel for something else !!
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017, 06:26   #3
biyf
Registered

The gunshows around here just have beef jerky and AR-15s. I haven't had it drilled and tapped yet because it's so nice, and yet it will never be exactly right and original if I keep "restoring" it with pieced together stuff.
Old April 19, 2017, 20:48   #4
biyf
Registered

Here's a few pics

Old April 20, 2017, 07:51   #5
festus
Registered

FALaholic #: 7928
I found a drilled and tapped VZ 24 receiver in a box of gun parts I bought at an auction. It was already altered so I decided to make a sporter. By the time I found cheap multinational parts to finish it and a gunsmith to headspace the 308 barrel I found out that I am into the free gun for over 400.00. And I have to paint it all one color too. That being said, if I were to buy the completed rifle I wouldn't pay more than 300.00 for it. But I did it my way....
Old April 20, 2017, 20:50   #6
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
OP, I know of a GOOD, AFFORDABLE gunsmith who can do what you want, and shouldn't take an entire lifetime to complete it. PM me if you're interested in his contact info. FWIW, he lives is western PA.
Old April 24, 2017, 13:35   #7
biyf
Registered

I think I'm going to let it go, will list in the marketplace at some point when I get around to it. Just don't need another 30-06. Thanks for your help!