Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old April 02, 2017, 09:11   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Cheap Red Dots

Picked up six sets of Burris rings with pic rail caps and two Burris PEPR mounts this week. Have eight tactical rifles mounting high power scopes and need a red dot just in case they were to get pressed into CQB service. That said, all have been built for zapping varmints and odds are slim will use for defense so don't want to drop $300 times eight for them. $2,400 can be better used elsewhere. On this FAL have a Sightmark got in a box of junk from LGS and spent a year on an AR and now two years on the short barrel FAL without a hiccup. Holds its zero and can buy current version for $50 each in bulk purchase.

Has seen over 1,000 rounds of 5.56 when on an AR and over 600 rounds on the FAL. Have this 22 Nosler AR build with another following al ready waiting on a red dot optic plus more every couple days.

Have two 18" 6.8 spc II heavy match barrel builds, two 5.56 Wylde 18" match barrel and one 20" match barrel build that all are getting minimum 4x to 6x bottom of the scale variable scopes going up to 20x on top ends of scale. If walking to my hunting area and a coyote were to run out of the bushes at 25 feet (it's happened) can't find a running yote in a 4x power setting up close before dissapears. Thus want to stick a red dot on top of all as cheaply as possible just for walking to and from my yote and ground hog blinds. The Sightmark MiniShot is basically same product as on the FAL but at least four years newer generation. Anyone tried one of these little $59 street price red dots? If it dies, not out much but if someone knows of issues with them and a $99 choice is wiser money can handle the extra if have to.

Looking through vaults last week actually identified another dozen rifles would like to put a dot on top of scope. Even my 7mm Practical South Georgia "bean field" rifle could benefit from a red dot. Has a 6.5-20x Leupold on top and last time took it to a power line cut with really long shot options spooked a nice buck walking in and had no chance of picking him up at 6.5x while moving fast. Hurts me to consider $50 optics but when could easily scatter a couple dozen or more around right now and the abuse the junk box find has suffered, its awful tempting to try a dozen at $50 each.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2017, 09:57   #2
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Your rear sight aperture is on backwards.
Old April 02, 2017, 10:43   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Would not fit turned the other way around without taller scope mount. Rather have scope lower and didn't want to get the proper parts mixed up with all the kits and spare parts. Turned it around and if have to rip scope off and throw in bushes will turn it back around. Looks better backwards that totally missing. Last set of rings had to remove then got worried about getting separated from rifle for life. It's a total bastard, at least the muzzle points away from operator.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 02, 2017, 13:08   #4
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
For an inexpensive red dot I really don't think you can beat the TRS-25. Have had one on my FAL for several hundred rounds (I'm poor and can't feed mine a lot) with no issues. Even cowitnesses with the irons.

A similarly priced Primary Arms 2moa dot has been on my Ruger Mk II. It will occasionally turn off under recoil and need to be fiddled with. First time out this happened it was 30 degrees out so I thought it was temp related. Happens when it is 90 out too. Or 60. Or ...

If I buy a 3rd red dot it is back to the TRS-25 for me.
fnogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2017, 21:25   #5
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I've got two TRS-25's in use, one on a Browning Buckmark, the other on a
PCC.

Both of them run just fine.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2017, 07:22   #6
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
Run a TRS-25 on a 9mm carbine and a TRS-30 on a 223 rifle. Both hold zeros and both shoot well enough for me!! Don't know if the TRS-30 is made anymore, it has the larger 5MOA dot.
Old April 03, 2017, 07:58   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Looked at the TRS-25's and read lots of decent reviews. Have to go by LGS and actually hold one to get a feel for size as that is a big part of my desire, smallest inexepensive and reliable optic possible. The Sightmark is only slightly larger than a Burris Fastfire. May pick one up anyway to try as can always find a home for anything that points a gun away from user.
Old April 05, 2017, 22:32   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Ordered a TRS-25 just to try, on sale at Midway, four of the Sightmark mini dots, two Burris Fastfires and one Vortex. Get those mounted then see which way the wind blows.
Old April 05, 2017, 22:46   #9
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Ordered a TRS-25 just to try, on sale at Midway, four of the Sightmark mini dots, two Burris Fastfires and one Vortex. Get those mounted then see which way the wind blows.
Which Vortex did you order? If the Venom, while a decent sight, it's not capable of being dimmed enough for dim light carbine use...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 08, 2017, 14:31   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

These came in yesterday from two different vendors. Two more packages still in shipment then can decide how to distribute among rifles.

Old April 09, 2017, 13:17   #11
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I used to shoot with a guy who had a custom STI pistol in 38 super that he probably dropped 3k on but had a cheap ($25 BSA) red dot sight on it. I asked him one day why he wasn't running an Aimpoint or Tasco propoint. He said he used to run an Aimpoint but it broke just l8ke the cheap ones, just cost more to replace it. He said he would buy them by the case.

Hope you find one you like. I like the Burris Fastfire II.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2017, 14:11   #12
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Sig sayer romeo 5 gets great reviews. Motioned activated so you never have to turn it on or off.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2017, 18:27   #13
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I'm another one of the many who have the TRS-25, excellent value for $50 I spent. I often see them one sale for $50-$60 and have been tempted to buy a spare.
Old April 14, 2017, 10:06   #14
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
I've had a TRS-25 mounted on an ultimak on my SLR-107FR for around 2 years now. It's never lost zero and I am still using the original battery in it. Round count is around 500 rounds. I'm Impressed with it for the money spent.
Old April 16, 2017, 19:11   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have a TRS-25 on way to try but seems a little too big for a backup sight on top of a scope and want a higher price point as a primary optic. Will give it a workout and see how it holds up. Might be just what I need on junk box parts builds. Mostly what I need is small backup to high power scopes or burly primary units that know can depend on as primary optic on CQB rifles. Trying to slip by with some more price friendly units for some of my budget builds.
Old April 22, 2017, 16:30   #16
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Huey,

for a backup sight on a scope you could use one of the Burris Fastfire.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017, 09:33   #17
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
I'm another one of the many who have the TRS-25, excellent value for $50 I spent. I often see them one sale for $50-$60 and have been tempted to buy a spare.
Me too. I bought one TRS-25 and liked it so much, when I found one in a good sale, I picked up another. One is mounted on a MAK-90 via an Ultimak mount and the other is on my 10/22.