W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
AIM conversion barrel - fotay to nine

I'm not happy with it so far.

I popped on one of these:
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...m=XAIMTK1639N3

Says its stainless steel. Has some sort of black coating on it.

Showed up in the mail yesterday.
Took it to the range today.

Subject pistol is a well-used Glock 22. Fotay. Third generation. Only modifications on the Glock are sights that have some sort of light-gathering three-dot system. AFAIK all other parts in the gun are original. I've had it to the range a half-dozen or so times. No feed issues with this gun, although I sometimes (rarely) have had misfire issues with Glocks - which I think is a me thing and not a Glock thing.

No misfires today.

But did have quite a few cycling issues with the 9mm barrel.

Barrel was clean as a whistle when received, so I didn't clean it or oil it before firing it. The gun itself was also clean as a whistle when today's shooting began. Lubricated too.

Glock factory 9mm mags were used for the 9mm test.
No modification or switch of the .40 extractor, ejector, or firing pin.

Here's how it went.
1. Blasted out the magazine of premium .40 ammo that has been sitting in this gun for the last year or so. All good.
2. Switched to the 9mm barrel.
3. Shot a magazine of some ancient Winchester "Silver Tip" that I've had since Bill Clinton was president. All good.
4. Shot about a box-and-a-half of Russian "Silver Bear" ammo. All good
5. Shot a box of Federal Premium 147 grain Hydra-Shok. All good except I was getting brass-to-face on about every other shot. Which sucked. I figured the piece just didn't like the 147 grain stuff.
6. The struggles began with a box of of PMC 115 grain ball. About every third or fourth shot I would get a short-cycle partital-battery malfunction, or a stovepipe. When it did cycle, it was beating me up with brass-to-face.
7. I finished the 9mm session with a box of the Remington 115 grain ball. The Remington misbehaved similar to the PMC, except it did it only about half-as often.
8. I wrapped it up by re-installing the fotay barrel, and firing a box Remington ball 180-grain ammo. Function with the fotay barrel was 100%.

The gun was zeroed for fotay. Firing was done at about 7 yards. Near as I could tell, the 9mm printed point-of-impact exactly the same as the fotay. Accuracy was good when I wasn't flinching in anticipation of the brass bouncing off my face.

So, I don't know.

I've got no reason to be happy with this barrel at this point. I for damn sure wouldn't carry it in a defensive gun unless I can figure out why it malfunctions.

I will SPECULATE that it may be a tighter chamber (or "grippier" - if that's a word). Maybe there was some sort of residue from the coating process. Maybe the 115 grain ball ammo is just "weak." I don't think I'm gonna buy a case of Premium ammo to rehabilitate my opinion of this bought-on-a-lark accessory. Besides, the justification for it - if any exists - is that it is for the purpose of allowing me to use the cheapest shit 9mm ammo in the fotay gun. As if I don't already have a backpack full of 9mm Glocks if I want to shoot cheap-shit 9mm ammo.

Maybe next time I go out, I'll clean the AIM barrel real good, and I'll put some oil on it. Although, I'd like to think it should work fine even if its filthy dirty. After all, that's the way REAL Glock barrels act.

Maybe I'll try it in a 9mm Glock - which seems kind of stupid because why would you install an aftermarket 9mm barrel in a 9mm Glock that already has a perfectly good barrel? Well, to see whether the aftermarket barrel is hopeless I suppose.

The AIM barrel does have cut-rifling (as opposed to Glock's factory "polygonal" rifling). I assume the cut-rifling doesn't pose the same KABOOM risk that the polygonal rifling poses if you are shooting lead-bullet ammo. That doesn't really interest me, because I have no intention of EVER reloading another round of 9mm ammo. And then there's that issue that this barrel starts malfunctioning anyway as soon as it gets a little bit dirty. Kind of a lose/lose situation.

So there.

I'd hoped to say good things about this barrel. So far, got nothing good to say about it.

I don't shoot a lot of pistol these days. Not sure when I'll get back to the range with pistol. Let alone whether I'll feel like shooting this turd. I was churning the ammo cans this afternoon, and I noticed I have a can of 32-20 ammo. What would Skeeter Skelton do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XAIMTK1639N3.jpg (40.0 KB, 19 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 18:00   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
He would probably drop and lob 6.

Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 18:57   #3
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
You cant try it in a 9mm glock, the barrel OD is different.

I shoot a G22 converted with a KKM barrel AND a fancy aftermarket 9mm extractor AND most other 9mm upper parts that may or may not matter. Its very reliable though I guess I should try it with garbage-grade 9mm to be sure.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2018, 19:09   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
You cant try it in a 9mm glock, the barrel OD is different.
Well, that saves me some fretting.

I suppose then too I cannot use a Glock 9mm barrel in G22.

Old September 07, 2018, 19:59   #5
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
My G23 9mm conversion barrel, a Stormlake I think, is 100% with G19 mags in a gen 3 G23. Since buying the conversion barrel I have picked up an actual G19 so removed the conversion barrel from the G23 and will probably never reinstall it. Except like for TEOTWAWKI or something similar.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 08, 2018, 06:02   #6
ByronF
Registered

I have a gen3 G23 converted with an Alpha Wolf, and the gen3 G22 converted with the KKM. Both have a gen4 ejector. Both work well. Before you give up on it you could send it to me and I can test it in my frame and slide. If it works in mine you may just need to go a little further with conversion componenets.
Old September 08, 2018, 09:17   #7
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I have a gen3 G23 converted with an Alpha Wolf, and the gen3 G22 converted with the KKM. Both have a gen4 ejector. Both work well. Before you give up on it you could send it to me and I can test it in my frame and slide. If it works in mine you may just need to go a little further with conversion componenets.
PM sent.

Old September 08, 2018, 19:53   #8
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Mine, a lone wolf conversion never cared for factory 115 anything, simply weak ammo and heavy 40 recoil spring.
Shoots 115 anything, so long as I had it reloaded to higher end pressures without any issue.
Did you use the same recoil spring set up from the 40?

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 08, 2018, 22:36   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Yeah itís all fotay parts except the barrel and magazine.

I donít doubt it could be made to work better with high-priced or handloaded ammo, and/or with lighter springs, and/or changing extractors and/or ejectors.

The whole idea was to avoid all that.

Old September 08, 2018, 22:54   #10
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Yeah itís all fotay parts except the barrel and magazine.

I donít doubt it could be made to work better with high-priced or handloaded ammo, and/or with lighter springs, and/or changing extractors and/or ejectors.

The whole idea was to avoid all that.
With ammo being made by lawyers vs gunmen, hell, all the low cost stuff acts like it been downloaded.

If ya want to try a 9mm spring, think I got a stock one here ya can have, if I can locate wherever in the hell I stuck them when I opened up the new shop building last year.

Old September 08, 2018, 23:10   #11
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I appreciate the offer.

Really I do.

But if it wonít work with just a 9mm barrel and 9mm magazine and a cheap box of 115, it doesnít meet my needs.

I already have a box full of 9mm pistols that are not Frankensteinís.

Lesson learned.

Old September 08, 2018, 23:41   #12
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I appreciate the offer.

Really I do.

But if it wonít work with just a 9mm barrel and 9mm magazine and a cheap box of 115, it doesnít meet my needs.

I already have a box full of 9mm pistols that are not Frankensteinís.

Lesson learned.
I understand
Wife bought me one of those 22L tops for a Glock, thing only works with one brand of ammo and not all that often do I get 10 shots, even with their one brand of ammo they say to use, without jams.
Shall we say, it ain't going to replace my well used and 100% reliable with all ammo brands, types, and bullet weights, Ruger Mk 1 military bull.

Old September 09, 2018, 08:14   #13
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Yeah.

If this had worked out to be a ďhow bout datĒ drop-in no-hassle accessory, Iíd had it in mind to buy one for each of the spare fotays over there in the box.

Not gonna work for me if every one has to be science project.

Thinking now I should just get an extra can of fotay ammo, stick the can on the bottom of the pile and call it good.

Old September 09, 2018, 12:23   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yeah.

If this had worked out to be a ďhow bout datĒ drop-in no-hassle accessory, Iíd had it in mind to buy one for each of the spare fotays over there in the box.

Not gonna work for me if every one has to be science project.

Thinking now I should just get an extra can of fotay ammo, stick the can on the bottom of the pile and call it good.

I'm going to hang onto my 9mm & 357 Sig conversion barrels, but got to admit, got them for a reason other than plinking.

I carry a 357 Sig for normal EDC
Either a regular Glock 33/32 or a converted 40
In my little bag that goes everywhere, got a 40 barrel, and a 9mm barrel.
Found out by mistake, was not wearing my glasses, that those KCI mags people like to hate on, the first ones they sold, would feed both 40/357 sig and 9mm from same mag.
Distances out this way are great for going anywhere, having three ammo types being able to be fired from one hand gun, pleases me!
One never knows when troubles will arise.
Options.

Old September 13, 2018, 14:27   #15
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
In my little bag that goes everywhere, got a 40 barrel, and a 9mm barrel.
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2018, 14:31   #16
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Hell yea, I'd hit it!

Old September 15, 2018, 20:37   #17
Zeusizme
Registered

FALaholic #: 64239
I love my gen 3 19. I have owned 40ís in the past and forced myself to like them but now I think Iím just finished with 40.

Old September 18, 2018, 23:07   #18
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Quote:
With ammo being made by lawyers vs gunmen, hell, all the low cost stuff acts like it been downloaded.

If ya want to try a 9mm spring, think I got a stock one here ya can have, if I can locate wherever in the hell I stuck them when I opened up the new shop building last year.
The 40 and 9 recoil springs are the same part.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...24-31-34-35-37

T
Tat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2018, 01:02   #19
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2 View Post
The 40 and 9 recoil springs are the same part.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...24-31-34-35-37

T
No wonder I changed all of my old ones over to these types.

Reason I have a box of originals here somewhere, still not located.

I really did not know 17 and 22 etc were the same.

Just that originals seemed to suck.
Only thing on a Glock I dislike.
Which is blasphemy to the 1911 or else crowd.

https://www.glockstore.com/Tungsten-...y=1&custcol7=5

Old September 19, 2018, 01:11   #20
Wecsogery
Registered

FALaholic #: 73856
You have to take the spring out to swap barrels anyway, so the thing to do is just use a G17 spring with the 9mm barrel. Simple. Lone Wolf even tells you to do that.

Or use 124 grain and heavier bullets, or +P ammo. Because the weak 115 grain US standard ammo is indeed the problem.
Mine works fine even with 115s, but it's a Gen 2 with a well worn spring. If that were not the case, I would just get a G17 spring and call it good.
Wecsogery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2018, 17:48   #21
ByronF
Registered

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A G17 SPRING. ITS THE SAME SPRING AS A G22

Intentional caps because some aren't reading.
Old September 20, 2018, 12:34   #22
Tat2
Registered

FALaholic #: 52329
Quote:
I couldnít agree more. These two factory parts would help...$26 total

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...19-25-26-28-34

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...on-steel-matte

T
Tat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018, 16:54   #23
Steggo
Registered

FALaholic #: 6689
Quote:
Looking at the ammo section of AIM's website, the difference between 9mm and 40 is $4/100 for similar quality.
Steggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018, 11:52   #24
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
I may be insane but I have used these conversion barrels in five Glock22s and they have been great. Four are Lone Wolf and one is KKN or something like that. I am very happy with all of them but I do swap the barrels back and forth if it's a 40 cal day or a 9mm day. This is only important because the only thing I have done to these barrels is oil them really well and hand cycle them before the first use. After that just drop that barrel in and shoot. All five of these Glock22s are police trade ins for whatever that may mean.
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018, 16:41   #25
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
I have the Lone Wolf conversion barrel I use in my Glock 22.
One magazine used is a Glock 17 and the other is a Magpul.
No other changes and it has functioned 100 % in the couple, or so, boxes of 115 grain 9mm put through it so far.
Maybe more ammo down the pipe will change the story, but, I hope not.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018, 18:33   #26
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
In my little bag that goes everywhere
Hey, I have one of those too (no, it's not a fanny pack either). It gots molle straps all over it and it holds my Glock 19 or Shield .45, along with a Canon digital camera, two extra mags, a big-assed folding knife, eye-glass wipes, flashlight, shades, etc. Some smartass folks have called it my "purse"... Oh well. Mine came from CheaperThanDirt-but, but...it's an operator's bag!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018, 19:12   #27
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Hey, I have one of those too (no, it's not a fanny pack either). It gots molle straps all over it and it holds my Glock 19 or Shield .45, along with a Canon digital camera, two extra mags, a big-assed folding knife, eye-glass wipes, flashlight, shades, etc. Some smartass folks have called it my "purse"... Oh well. Mine came from CheaperThanDirt-but, but...it's an operator's bag!
Yep!

Mama calls my use of an old pillow case, the one I keep my AR "pistol", several spare mags for tha Jeep, my southern boy rifle case.
I tell her, no one ever steals an old, dirty, dusty pillow case out of anyone's Jeep!
Wimmen!

Old September 21, 2018, 19:26   #28
Shootability
shootabilityusa.com
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6448
I have several Glocks with conversion barrels - G35 to 9mm and G32 to 9mm and G22 to 9mm - as a general rule you get good reliability with a 9mm ejector if still, an issue try the 9mm extractor - your 40 might run fine with the 9mm parts.

I prefer a 15lb spring for 9mm but the 17lb G17/G22 spring should work with factory ammo.
Shootability is online now   Reply With Quote