Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old January 17, 2018, 18:44   #1
jugrunner
NoNbaSeduseR
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
Hornady ELD Match ... 30 cal.

just bought a box of the 155grn. ... I swear I saw a box of 150grn. but when I returned to Academy it was gone ...

I'm aiming for something around the "magic" 2750 fps range ... I'll work up a load and wait until it warms a bit ...

Obviously a Bolt action, bench rest bullet ... just wondered if anyone has tried them in their RiFAL and noticed any improvement in accuracy ...
Old January 18, 2018, 06:07   #2
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Used a bunch of Hornady ELD 147 gr in my 6.5 Creedmoor with Lapua brass
over Varget and am running in the .25 - .3 moa range.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by ArtBanks; January 20, 2018 at 09:16.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018, 07:23   #3
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Watcha' usein' fer powder ? I
I'm thinkin' R-15.

Don't sluff off and not report back
Illurian00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018, 08:19   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

RE-15 has worked super on some of my .308 loads.
Old January 18, 2018, 08:57   #5
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
I loaded a bunch of those in 3006 for a garand using 4064 with good results around that velocity.
Falfan2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018, 19:20   #6
jugrunner
NoNbaSeduseR
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illurian00 View Post
Watcha' usein' fer powder ? I
I'm thinkin' R-15.

Don't sluff off and not report back

I know ... I'm really bad about that sluffin stuff ...

I'm "wondering" about the powder also ... I have many to choose from ... some old and some new (to me) ... maybe next week it will warm up enough to get a couple shots thru the back door chrony ...

anyway ... thanks for all the input guys ...

Last edited by jugrunner; January 19, 2018 at 21:25.
jugrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018, 19:26   #7
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I've run the 178gr. ELD-M in .308. I use LC brass, CCI 200, and 41.0gr. of RL-15.

Runs pretty well through my Win. M70 Heavy Varmint.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 05:59   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

RE-15, Varget or 4064 all work exceptionally well and have about the same burn rate.

Semper Fi
Art
Old January 19, 2018, 21:24   #9
jugrunner
NoNbaSeduseR
Contributor

picked up a box of .224 in 75grn. ... prolly run into OAL problems with an AR mag ... we'll see ... !!!

I really need to get back into the bench rest game with a good bolt gun ...

unless you "hand feed" these into a semi-auto the advantage you get with the bullet could be lost ... I won't know until I try ...

it seems that folks have discovered the 6.5mm has the best BC out there ... some of us knew that yrs. ago ... the Swede cartridge just didn't have enough capacity ... things are diff. now

it mostly started with the 6.5/06 wildcat ... now we have the "Creedmore" and others that take advantage of that flat shooting bullet ...

yep ... sell a STG and buy a Bolt 6.5 Creedmore ... sounds like a plan !!!!!!!
Old January 20, 2018, 10:57   #10
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugrunner View Post
picked up a box of .224 in 75grn. ... prolly run into OAL problems with an AR mag ... we'll see ... !!!

I really need to get back into the bench rest game with a good bolt gun ...

unless you "hand feed" these into a semi-auto the advantage you get with the bullet could be lost ... I won't know until I try ...

it seems that folks have discovered the 6.5mm has the best BC out there ... some of us knew that yrs. ago ... the Swede cartridge just didn't have enough capacity ... things are diff. now

it mostly started with the 6.5/06 wildcat ... now we have the "Creedmore" and others that take advantage of that flat shooting bullet ...

yep ... sell a STG and buy a Bolt 6.5 Creedmore ... sounds like a plan !!!!!!!
Im not following,,,
The creedmore is LESS case capacity then the .260, which is LESS case capacity than the old 6.5x55, which is LESS capacity than the 6.5x06'.
AFAIK, the ONLY thing the creedmore does is allow longer bullets to be used in a 'short .308 size' action.
The .260, 6.5x55 or 6.5x06' in a modern action will all produce higher velocities then the creedmore.
Am I missing something
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 17:55   #11
jugrunner
NoNbaSeduseR
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Im not following,,,
The creedmore is LESS case capacity then the .260, which is LESS case capacity than the old 6.5x55, which is LESS capacity than the 6.5x06'.
AFAIK, the ONLY thing the creedmore does is allow longer bullets to be used in a 'short .308 size' action.
The .260, 6.5x55 or 6.5x06' in a modern action will all produce higher velocities then the creedmore.
Am I missing something

higher velocity does not equal accuracy ... so ... you're prolly missing the target ...

if it was ALL about velocity the old 6.5-06 might have been the winner ...

short action = stronger = less flexing when fired ...
Old January 20, 2018, 18:26   #12
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

A little homework puts the 6.5 Creedmoor out in front for the moment.
I am having a ball with mine. Short action and not really much loss in velocity from the others using the right powders.

Semper Fi
Art
Old January 20, 2018, 19:59   #13
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
higher velocity does not equal accuracy ... so ... you're prolly missing the target ...

short action = stronger = less flexing when fired ...
Im just trying to understand what your point was bro...

Seemed like you were complaining about case capacity,,,and then touted the one with the least capacity available..??

My 6.5x06' bench gun shoots in the .3" range,,,I dont feel like Im loosing very much,,,but ymmv...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 22:58   #14
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
2,750 FPS?
Pffftttttt..........

Virgin Norma,BR2,155 Amax,46.0 Varget,2.800"
Series, 2, Shots:, 5
Min,2878, Max,2895
Avg,2889 ,S-D, 6.8
ES , 17

Series,Shot,Speed
2, 1, 2878, ft/s
2, 2, 2895, ft/s
2, 3, 2894, ft/s
2, 4, 2891, ft/s
2, 5, 2887, ft/s
762gunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 23:01   #15
762gunr
Registered

FALaholic #: 69517
Quote:

Nah. 6.5X284 is better than the mall ninja 6.5C
762gunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2018, 10:02   #16
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
A little homework puts the 6.5 Creedmoor out in front for the moment.
I am having a ball with mine. Short action and not really much loss in velocity from the others using the right powders.

Semper Fi
Art
Creedmore is versatile but it doesn't win benchrest competitions at the highest levels.
Falfan2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2018, 11:37   #17
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Fine by me. I have no intention of benchrest competition at any level.
I shoot for my own enjoyment on my home range.

Semper Fi
Art
Old January 28, 2018, 01:18   #18
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762gunr View Post
Nah. 6.5X284 is better than the mall ninja 6.5C
Rest assured that the folks at Hornady aren't all mall ninjas, and *may* know a thing or two or a bunch more than you do.

6.5x284 is better at going faster. It is also better at burning barrels. Neither one ensures better accuracy.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018, 06:44   #19
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Damn Art, you need to get some more shit for your bench. Maybe a field strength meter and a cable modem? Just kidding, I see a lot of easily recognizable stuff there, reminds me of when I was actually a tech. I like your choice for a press, their new stuff doesn't hold a candle to what they used to produce.
Old January 28, 2018, 08:16   #20
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Field strength meter? Wow haven't use one of those is the last 40 years. No need with the advent of some of the different antenna meters like the MFJ 259.
My wife call my little gettaway the hell hole because I have so much junk there.
Keeps me out of trouble most of the time.

If you look very carefully in this photo, you can see an old Lafayette TM-15 field strength meter I have had for over 55 years. The antenna goes up in front of the right meter on a Lampkin and to the left of a Sinadder.

Here is a close up of a tool most have never even seen. I have had this field strength meter since about the time the Soviets launched Sputnik. Does that make it and me both antiques? It is equipped with a Gonset antenna from the 50s.

Last edited by ArtBanks; January 28, 2018 at 08:30.
Old January 28, 2018, 10:40   #21
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I moved up to an MFJ Antenna Analyzer years ago but was not accepted for commercial work or able to be certified annually.

Had to switch to a real piece of equipment to measure frequencies and such. Especially important tuning repeater cans or working on cell equipment.

All a field strength meter does is tell one if exceeding safe power levels but otherwise not good for tuning anything finely. My gun room became a series of rooms with ham shack in reloading room and gun storage in panic room along with food and armor plus a few radios. A man needs a place to retreat or wife will stab him in eye with a fork. Now I have ham shacks at home and work, gun assembly rooms at both and gun/emergency supply storage room af both. Add machine shop and motorcycle assembly room wife just shakes her head.

Keep bills paid and groceries in the house and she pretty much let's me be but she doesn't understand my affinity for ocilliscopes, scope meters and more fluke meters than able to count. She does know when I attach high voltage probe to a meter then take lid off a distribution transformer to leave the room. Buddy of mine's wife came home and found him asleep in floor of ham shack. When he didn't wake up realized was not sleeping. Said he lifted lid off his transformer to see what was making the odd buzzing sound and woke up with a crowd gathered around. He still doesn't know if was out for minutes or hours but got lucky as pole transformers are seldom kind to the human body. Apparently where he had put jumper to tap for voltage needed to run an AM radio station amp was not firmly attached and when he lifted lid off bumped the loose wire. When decide to wire a transformer into your electrical panel to get higher than 240 volts suggest you rethink the idea. My pole pigs now sit in storage building discharged for a rainy day.

Death in a can.

Death in a box, actually held together with tape. All those capacitors can be found for free in old microwave ovens people discard.

Goldmine of free stuff in microwave oven. Can even be converted into an area denial weapon for perimeter of your home.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018, 10:57   #22
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Field strength was mostly used to determine hf radiation patterns in the old days.
I used to use and IFR can't remember the model # spectrum analyzer for tuning cans on my repeater. Especially the reject rods. Man that was a few years ago. I had a 2 meter repeater for years that had great coverage with a couple of station masters mounted with a good vertical separation fed with 1" hardline.
Final ran a pair of 4CX250s in a GE AMp. Main repeater ended up being a Kendacom after many evolutions over the years. I gave the whole set up to a new club that started in the area shortly after no codes hit the waves.
Old January 28, 2018, 20:09   #23
Andy2205
Registered

I have a Motorola Communications System Analyzer on the bench at work. I use it mostly in the "monitor" mode to listen to the local FM station. Seeing the stuff you two guys have sitting on your benches, brings back memories of when I really had to work. Now I'm stuck mostly to facility issues that have nothing to do with my tech certs.
Old January 28, 2018, 21:51   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Best two days of a repeater owners life are day it goes on air and day it becomes someone else's responsibility. D Star repeaters add more issues as have to keep internet link up and configured for reflectors. Takes a team, very few can do themselves.

Work bench collects more dust than gets used lately. Use home shack since did so many upgrades and it's better than work setup now.

This is a project. Goal is once get all servos and belts cooperating in the rebuild of robotic arm and communicating with PIC Programmer to test using a paintball gun and controlling with Nintendo or Wii type controller using camera to aim. Then if get 100% if world turns to crap and society falls apart to mount AR with Beta Mag from ceiling of front porch. Lots of paintball guys/electronic hobbiests have done similar and with real guns as well mimicking some of the dot gov remote mounted guns. Doubt will get past paintball, if get that far but exercising the brain on new to me challenges is fun and learning experiences.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 29, 2018, 05:58   #25
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Sure is nice to be retired and focus on my hobbies.
Old January 29, 2018, 14:24   #26
Andy2205
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Sure is nice to be retired and focus on my hobbies.
I retired once. Two weeks later I was working for Honeywell, two years later I switched to a small maritime company and have been there for over 15 years.
Old January 29, 2018, 14:35   #27
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2205 View Post
I retired once. Two weeks later I was working for Honeywell, two years later I switched to a small maritime company and have been there for over 15 years.
Nothing wrong with enjoying what you do.
Old January 31, 2018, 16:30   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I started my retirement in my 20's and plan to work till they carry me feet first out of building. But take off when want and work when want based on quality of jobs and how well they pay. Year following 9/11 so many people were scared to travel international airline tickets dropped to all.ost nothing as did hotels, etc. Took 7 of 12 months off during that time as work slowed due to entire country kind of on pause/reset. Spent a month in France then six weeks in Peru plus a month in Switzerland with.multiple tips to Colorado, Montana, New Hampshire, Quebec and more including desert southwest for extended tour.

Following stock market crash 2008 spent 5 of 12 months travelling and till destroyed back in 2007 then again along with neck and cancer in 2009 took at least four months of every year off for travel, climbing, cycling and skiing. Saw so many people talk about all the stuff was going to do when retired either be too beat up or die before reached retirement decided to slowly take my retirement over the course of life and work when too old and sick to play. So since your posting M1a's how bout one in 6.5 Creedmore