The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old December 30, 2017, 14:53   #1
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
NightForce ATACR

Any thoughts on the ACTAR 5-25 X 56? First or second focal plane? Don't really use the current scope for ranging.
Currently have a NXS 5.5-22 X 50. Is it worth the up-grade?

Thanks
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 15:22   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
I chose the NXS 5.5x22x50 over the ATACR and really don't see the ATACR as an upgrade to the NXS. Is there an advantage to a 34mm tube over a 30mm?

It really boils down to what you want the scope for. You already have the NXS employed on a rifle. Where is it lacking?
That answer would be the determining factor.

Last edited by CG&L; December 31, 2017 at 09:46.
CG&L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 06:38   #3
paulo
Registered

I've never looked through ED glass, just wondering if the ED glass was worth the extra cost?
Old December 31, 2017, 09:32   #4
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
It appears you like the Nightforce line-up of scopes and would like to give the ATACR a try.

The worst that can happen is you'll end up with a most excellent scope. You'll also end up with first-hand experience with the ACTAR compared to the NXS.

As always, there's a point of diminishing returns with everything. Is the ATACR on the downward slope? Of course it is, just like everything else.

You're trying to justify the extra expense, this is not the right way to do things. I say, buy the ATACR
You'll be dead sooner or later and that little extra you paid for the ATACR will mean nothing

Last edited by CG&L; December 31, 2017 at 09:45.
CG&L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 10:11   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
been wondering the same. I have used the NXS and loved it, but had to sell it to finance something more important. Now I just have a MkIV Leupy 10x and a SHV 2.5x10. I think the NXS was better than the SHV (other than the illumination vs not), but I really need the two side by side, which is not possible right now. I assume it's better, but if I cannot discern the difference in quality, because of my eyesight, is it worth paying double?

Then the ATACR is around $500 more.

I have been looking at replacing the NXS that I sold, or getting a ATACR in 4x14. I understand mathematically the 34mm tube is better, but in practice? I see the main benefit is it being almost 2" shorter.
Old December 31, 2017, 12:58   #6
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Mark hit the nail on the head. Why pay for something that you cannot, because of physical limitations, utilize to the fullest extent, while owning something that currently does (at a much cheaper price)?

Think of audio equipment; why pay $5000 for a system that performs far beyond your hearing capabilities when a $500 system gives you good performance just beyond your limits?

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 19:44   #7
paulo
Registered

Points well taken.
Thanks
Old January 04, 2018, 16:59   #8
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Using my experience in Amateur Astronomy optics that spans 50 years ED glass excels over standard achromatic objective lenses and in eye pieces but is pricey. Is color and fine detail at higher powers necessary? You choose. This will be more pronounced at low light levels. But then my eyes are fading from age and I wouldn't know anymore either at this point in time.