The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old August 02, 2013, 12:35   #151
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1877
I have severe reservations about mounting a scope on the receiver with the standard HK claw mount. There are no recoil lugs to stop the scope from moving backwards during recoil. I know the .22 does not recoil that much but I would feel better if there were those recoil lugs. I would much rather have the original front sight scope mount.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
gunnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 02, 2013, 21:58   #152
big dee
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2995
ATI now offers a scope mount for the rifle. It replaces the rear sight.
big dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2013, 13:43   #153
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dee View Post
ATI now offers a scope mount for the rifle. It replaces the rear sight.
Does it replace the rear sight or sit over the rear sight like the original?

Answered my own question. It does in fact replace the rear sight. No thanks, I will wait for one that fits like the original.

The human race is not the pinnacle of evolution. We are but one evolutionary out come.
Old August 03, 2013, 15:18   #154
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Well, I'll be dingwallied!

Called ATI yesterday afternoon to see about getting a replacement slide for my rear sight. Of course they were not there so I left a message.

Today, I was thinking about it and I remembered I had a spare AK rear sight I took off of my SAR1. HMMMM, wonder if it will work. Found the AK sight. I removed the ATI sight and the AK sight fit right in! The elevation markings are identical. I was not too crazy about the windage adjustment on the rear sight and I really didn't like the v shaped aperture thing they put on it. I can get an AK sight with the windage adjustment.

So I think what I will do is see if someone has a slider fo and AK sight an replace my bent slider with an AK slider!

Ya just never know. And remember,
Mr. Kalashnikov swears he did NOT use ANY of the idea from the STG44.

Last edited by gunnut1; August 03, 2013 at 15:29.
Old August 03, 2013, 18:28   #155
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Did some investigating as to why the rear slider bent and I discovered the elevation ramp was bent also. WTF? I know it hit the floor but I have had my AKs fall on the rear sight and not done any damage.

Guess what? All of the pieces of the rear sight, except for the spring, are made from either pot metal or aluminum. No wonder it bent.

Old January 10, 2014, 06:52   #156
BigBoy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 33599
Tacti-Cool STG44

Here are a few pictures on my STG44 all tricked out. I've added the scope mount and reproduction of the ZF4 scope used on the original MP43s during WWII. I used a clamp-on scope mount as I wanted to keep the receiver as original so drilling/tapping the receiver was not an option. Also, there are reproduction WWII scope mounts which come with rails but mounting the rail is a problem. The cast zinc receiver can not be heated for soldering/welding so that means of mounting the rail is out. Also, epoxies would look tacky and not be strong enough in my estimation.

I've also added a .22 caliber suppressor to it. I haven't had a chance to get to the range to see how quiet it is but this suppressor also goes on my Ruger 10/22 and it makes is so quiet that all you hear is the noise of the action cycling! I would expect the same level of reduction.

The suppressor adapter is available directly from ATI. The muzzle nut on the STG44 simply unscrews and this adapter screws right onto the muzzle and the other end is threaded for the 1/2-28 threads on the suppressor.

http://www.americantactical.us/212/detail.html

The only problem is the flat rate shipping on this item is $12.50, which is rather steep for an item which could be shipped for $2-$3 by US mail.

There are no problems which can not be solved by the application of high explosives, WD-40, duct tape or Teflon or a combinaton of the afore mentioned items.
BigBoy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014, 14:43   #157
gunnut1
Gold Contributor

Very nice!