Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old November 07, 2018, 21:30   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
used Manurhin MR73s

Man, I'd sure like to have one of these pistols. If I were still working, with a regular check coming in, I would be sorely tested.

https://www.allans-armory.com/aapict...temId=101309MG

https://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=58

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.

Last edited by Texgunner; November 09, 2018 at 23:24.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 00:13   #2
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I didn't see any prices listed with those photo's. The MR73 looks like a knockoff of the S&W K frame to me. The Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum comes to mind.

I know that Manurhin makes decent handguns. But are parts available if needed?

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 02:30   #3
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Leroy Thompson did a write up on these in Firearms News not long ago. Here's a link to it. http://www.firearmsnews.com/editoria...ellence/307258

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 04:55   #4
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
I bought mine years ago when they first came in. I think somewhere around 65 revolvers came in and I got to pick from most of them. I got the black finished 4" model with rubber grips. The wood grips were not in very good shape with some having screws missing. My gun is in about 95%+ condition. The blued ones are much less condition, but work perfectly. I was actually shooting it yesterday. I handed it to a buddy and he fired one for the first time. He hit all 6 times on a small plate at about 35 yards easily. It's definitely smooth, that's for sure.

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 08:46   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
I didn't see any prices listed with those photo's. The MR73 looks like a knockoff of the S&W K frame to me. The Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum comes to mind.

I know that Manurhin makes decent handguns. But are parts available if needed?

And so it goes.

The Retired One
The prices and descriptions are in the second link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
Leroy Thompson did a write up on these in Firearms News not long ago. Here's a link to it. http://www.firearmsnews.com/editoria...ellence/307258
Thanks for that link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUUN063 View Post
I bought mine years ago when they first came in. I think somewhere around 65 revolvers came in and I got to pick from most of them. I got the black finished 4" model with rubber grips. The wood grips were not in very good shape with some having screws missing. My gun is in about 95%+ condition. The blued ones are much less condition, but work perfectly. I was actually shooting it yesterday. I handed it to a buddy and he fired one for the first time. He hit all 6 times on a small plate at about 35 yards easily. It's definitely smooth, that's for sure.

Leland
Good info Leland, thanks.

And thanks to all of you for the replies!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

Old November 08, 2018, 22:53   #6
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Rember how these guns were made ..Though K frame ish ( and I think will fit in many K frame holster ) they are massive over built guns and have a unique rifling system .They are made for a steady diet of hot 357 rounds ..And even the "combat " models had adj trigger systme that will ligten the trigger but the not the trigger weight if that makes any sense to avoid primer issues

Frankly as beat the heck as the Century guns are seeing how much a commerical guns cost ie starting at 2k to 10k for 600 bucks or so just to get a taste is ok with me
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 14:17   #7
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Trivia on the MR73: FN tried to buy Manurhin to market the MR73 sort of as their own after the FN Barracuda revolver was a commercial failure. This was in the late 1980s before just before FN was bought by GIAT/Nexter (and since regained its independence).
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 16:14   #8
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
I remember seeing MR73s in the holsters of the local Gendarme while I was roaming the French South Pacific in the 90s, never found one friendly enough to get into a firearms discussion with though ....
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018, 11:30   #9
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I own a surplus one. Yes very good revolvers. A legend in France, there is even a French cop movie called "MR73". Yes there are parts available here in the USA from:

https://www.hastingsdistribution.com...duct_list&c=61

I've bought parts from them to help fix up mine. The old Manurhin is dead but the current company still makes parts for the MR73.

Mine had issues with a loose sideplate with previously buggered up screws and my cylinder level spring seemed pretty worn out. The cylinder level pin looked worn as well so I replaced that.

One thing I still need to work on is dialing in the hammer spring and the trigger return spring with the adjustment screws.

Mine has a little bluing wear and I am considering whether to have it refinished or not.

There is really no support for them here in the USA but apparently the action is similar to S&Ws and any decent revolver gunsmith should be able to work on them.

In the end I love shooting mine. 357 Magnum is a lot of fun and these are fun guns to shoot. As long as you accept their limitations as a niche product, then you can't go wrong with them and I don't think they will lose value.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018, 22:03   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Man, if I only had the do re mi, I think I'd be gettin' one!

Old November 11, 2018, 22:27   #11
perryturner
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6271
How many days substituting would it take?
perryturner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018, 11:15   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryturner View Post
How many days substituting would it take?
That's a good suggestion Perry! Lessee, I'm not exactly sure what subbing is paying these days but probably anywhere from 10 to 12 days. I'm not sure that it would worth that! After two and a half years away from the classroom, I might be "off my game" a little. And, I don't think the kids up there now have seen anyone like me since I left. They might be shocked by my management techniques. But thanks for that, who knows, you might've just planted a seed for thinkin'!

Old November 13, 2018, 07:19   #13
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
http://jjperodeau.com/store/?model_number=HA03021

Still made, if you have $3000+ for one.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 09:48   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
http://jjperodeau.com/store/?model_number=HA03021

Still made, if you have $3000+ for one.
The MR88 is quite a bit cheaper:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...25559&cdn_bp=1

I wonder how they differ?

Old November 13, 2018, 09:54   #15
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
The MR88 is quite a bit cheaper:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...25559&cdn_bp=1

I wonder how they differ?
It's based on a Ruger and meant to be a cheaper alternative to the MR73.
Old November 13, 2018, 13:25   #16
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It's based on a Ruger and meant to be a cheaper alternative to the MR73.
Thanks for the clarification!

Old November 13, 2018, 18:32   #17
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Also, the new MR73s supposedly are not made with the same steel as the old ones.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018, 06:53   #18
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Also, the new MR73s supposedly are not made with the same steel as the old ones.
That can be either good or bad.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018, 10:29   #19
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Manurhin sold off their equipment and plans for the revolvers to another company in the 1990's. As I recall when I was doing my research around the time I bought mine, when Chapius Armes took all that over, the first revolvers were not similar quality. From what I have heard now they fixed the problems and the new ones are just fine. I wouldn't have any hesitation buying a new one.
Old November 17, 2018, 13:36   #20
BarnOwlLover
Registered

Sorry for being late on this one, but I did find out that the GIGN still issues .357 Mag Manuhrin revolvers to all of its operatives as a reminder of firing discipline and shooting proficiency.
Old November 17, 2018, 23:01   #21
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwlLover View Post
Sorry for being late on this one, but I did find out that the GIGN still issues .357 Mag Manuhrin revolvers to all of its operatives as a reminder of firing discipline and shooting proficiency.
Those dman surrender monkeys! Don't they know they are supposed to use AR pistols?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 09:59   #22
BarnOwlLover
Registered

They sort of used those, too. They used to use both the 14.5 and 11 inch HK416. After the Paris attacks they switched the 11 inch version out in favor of the CZ Bren 2 in 7.62x39mm.

It seems that they feel that 5.56 doesn't have the power against body armor out of such a short barrel (though the French Army use the 416 in both 14.5 and 11 inch to replace the FAMAS).
Old November 18, 2018, 18:33   #23
wanneroo
Registered

GIGN was letting it's "operators" have both a 5 inch MR73 and a 3 inch MR73. I understand a lot of them have moved to Glock pistols now instead.

The MR73 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RhR0NBTz3E

Decent film about the 1994 Air France hijacking.
Old November 18, 2018, 21:26   #24
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
GIGN was letting it's "operators" have both a 5 inch MR73 and a 3 inch MR73. I understand a lot of them have moved to Glock pistols now instead.

The MR73 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RhR0NBTz3E

Decent film about the 1994 Air France hijacking.
Neat lil' clip wanneroo. Thanks!

Old November 19, 2018, 09:36   #25
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Neat lil' clip wanneroo. Thanks!
The movie "The Assault" or "L'Assalt" is readily available on DVD and I think was on Amazon Prime there for a while. The only thing is there is no subtitles only an English language overdub that must have been done on a $100 budget because it's so low quality and comedic. I think they did a nice job reenacting the shootout inside the plane.
Old November 19, 2018, 12:03   #26
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

That's a shame! Shitty overdubs just ruin a good movie.