Notices

Old October 11, 2017, 22:46   #51
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmike View Post
I still struggle with a vernier caliper, I do love my digital calipers....was able to pick up real quick with a micrometer though.
I have one. I can't discriminate the lines moving together any more. Dial or digital are the best. Hell I have to concentrate on a tape measure these days cause those lines are all looking like 1/8 of an inch

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 07:55   #52
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Stanley decimal/fraction tape measure is VERY USEFUL for detail work. Seriously useful. I must have a half dozen at home and work and in a couple roll-a-ways.

It's all the calculator I need to convert fractions to decimals and vice-versa.

Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 11:46   #53
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrogerf14 View Post
Paid 50 cents for a tape at a yard sale. Went to use it later and discovered why it hadn't been bought yet. I'd never seen nor heard of an engineer's tape before that.
Yea, you ain't a measuring tape god until you can convert "10/100/1000 of a foot" into "inches plus 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16...." in your head at the jobsite.

We used to leave the tape next to the new guys project and bet on how long it would take them to notice. Productivity usually went down on those days, but man was it entertaining
Old October 12, 2017, 12:51   #54
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Once at a gun show years ago I had a box of Garand enbloc clips on the table for a quarter each and sold almost none on Saturday.

On Sunday morning I changed the sign to "3 for a dollar" and sold them all.

I think the moral of the story is that many people cannot fathom fractions or decimal points. Give them a nice round number that they can grasp and they will go for it

Oh you dirty man!

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 14:43   #55
Col. Bat Guano
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 39349
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
The reason Millennials struggle so greatly with reading a tape measure is simply due to the fact that many of them didn't grow up building forts and tree houses and bird houses and what not. And because we've over-valued college educations and high school sports programs over building trades. Simply put Millennials grew up inside playing video games rather than outside building things. You don't need to know how to use a tape measure when you don't use your hands for anything other than pulling your pud and pressing Up, Down, A, B repeatedly...
My, my, my. Aren't you all high and mighty? Using a tape measure to build a fort! If my pieces of wood didn't match up, I just used bigger (and more) nails to provide additional reach in joining mismatched pieces. Forty years later, the wood is long gone, but the bridge spikes are still in the tree!
Old October 13, 2017, 10:45   #56
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I have a tape measure at the house I don't know where it came from, but it has inches out to about 100 instead of foot markings and inches per foot.

WTF?

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 14:19   #57
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
when I see the battery powered tools available today I think back to my youth and ......

I figure the trouble I would have been in if I would have had access to these power tools when I was young

I know I would have built a "sugar shack" (read whoring house/ bar) up on the mountain w/ my friends so we could have had more privacy ...... and at that point it would have gone off the tracks

had enough problems w/ idiots finding my parking spaces where I only left tire track & foot prints, never any trash to scream "party place"
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 18:09   #58
tommygun2000
Registered

FALaholic #: 9196
The dumbing down of America has worked magnificently!!!!

Few of them can balance a check book, most can't read the time on an analog watch or clock, hardly any of them can fix a car, and many of them don't even drive.

I expect the immediate die off to far exceed all projected numbers to date in any catastrophic event. And in reality, we won't be losing much of value.
tommygun2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 19:39   #59
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun2000 View Post
The dumbing down of America has worked magnificently!!!!

Few of them can balance a check book, most can't read the time on an analog watch or clock, hardly any of them can fix a car, and many of them don't even drive.

I expect the immediate die off to far exceed all projected numbers to date in any catastrophic event. And in reality, we won't be losing much of value.
Most of them don't use checks, they use their phones. I'm 50, learned to balance a checkbook as a teen. I don't anymore. I don't really need to. I work with younger kids everyday, most know how to read an analog clock. Most adults of any age don't know how to fix a car. You can be just like every other generation and think that those behind you are stunningly incapable, but the reality is they ain't.
kfranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017, 00:14   #60
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Surveyors know what an engineers tape is.
100' long cloth tapes are called "chains". Links & rods (units of measurement), you know.....steel tape chains had to be kept oiled and clean, and no kinks.

All dimensions were taken in tenths and recorded by the guy with the book.
A team used to consist of a rod man, a tape man, a gun man, and a guy in the truck with the "book". Level runs," put in a line" runs, finding old tp or corners.....need a tape and an old record book or innaccurate old deed description to play with.

Designers also used them to design real bridges and roadways.

Today the metrics guys in India design plenty of stuff that gets built domestically, by other foreign owned contractors and inspectors...no more engineers tapes, except when a mistake is discovered and the "WTF" answer is demanded immediately.

Today all you need is one dumbass licensed surveyor, with a transit machine that talks to the gps satellites.
Ain't no fun, I can tell you that. A team makes the whole day go fast. When a bear attacks on new location.....well that single guy has no one to call the bone box in by himself. No one to talk to at lunch or about the world series......

Last edited by V guy; October 15, 2017 at 11:14.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote