Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old March 17, 2017, 21:04   #1
jollyrogerf14
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 71100
OIF/OEF USMC 1911 M45A1's on gunbroker

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/630736160

Seems like a pretty great price for an awesome piece of history to me! $200-$300 less than new ones, and USMC provenance!
jollyrogerf14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 02:22   #2
Parga
Registered

FALaholic #: 70964
they didn't last long... Great piece of history
Parga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 09:20   #3
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
Never heard of Gunbroker GOLD DEALS. I worry that you sign up for "GOLD" at $49.99 and then the items are no longer available. Plus it could be a one time usage of "GOLD". Seller does not allow local pickup, and you must pay with a CC thru GB Checkout immediately after you hit the Buy It Now. I looked through the other items being offered to "GUNBROKER GOLD" subscribers and don't really see any deals. Subscription fee is recurring on your CC, and you need to cancel in writing. The extra $50 in cost for one of these pistols is not really an issue, I'd gladly pay a premium to buy one. Current listing of pistols has gone from 44 available to 37 in last hour. I would love to have one, but not sure I want to go thru the process.

UPDATE AT 1PM: Seller just added 55 additional pistols for sale.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service

Last edited by SPEEDGUNNER; March 19, 2017 at 12:07.
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 12:17   #4
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Impulsiveness got the better of me. When I checked yesterday, they had 45 left, this AM, 13. So I bought one. I figure by tonight they will be gone.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 12:54   #5
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

Hmmm....Back to 46 left!!

FYB!!!!
Old March 19, 2017, 19:16   #6
jollyrogerf14
Platinum Contributor

They keep selling out, then posting more. I wonder how many they actually have.
Old March 19, 2017, 21:43   #7
droid
Registered

FALaholic #: 8207
I wonder what's so wrong with these pistols that the USMC couldn't repair them.

The contract included spare parts with the pistols.

Why are they on the civvy market so fast?
droid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 12:01   #8
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post

There is no mention as to any issue with function, in fact the listing states "The cosmetic condition may vary slightly but every pistol have(sic) been inspected to ensure they function properly", so they must work fine, they are just ugly. I have seen some ugly WWII .45's, and they all steep with history, same with these guns.
- Robert Service
Old March 20, 2017, 13:34   #9
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:

......they were replaced by Glock 19s I believe. So they are surplus.

(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 15:19   #10
droid
Registered

FALaholic #: 8207
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
Impulsiveness got the better of me. When I checked yesterday, they had 45 left, this AM, 13. So I bought one. I figure by tonight they will be gone.

krf
Please give us the lowdown once you receive it, please!
droid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 15:24   #11
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
Quote:

From what I've read elsewhere, these were returned for defective finishes (look at the photos), and it's more economic for Colt to ship the USMC new pistols and sell these as surplus.

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2017, 20:22   #12
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

I count 730 sold on the GB Gold deal, it looks like they may be all done. Mine shows as shipped, might be here tomorrow. I'll give a report.

Karl

FYB!!!!
Old March 22, 2017, 05:21   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Same pistols are in stock at LGS new in box but not USMC owned, extra made for civilian market. Have picked up,a dozen times and the $1,100 price tag just doesn't trip my trigger. What I find odd is the weak side safety is wider than strong side. Also FDE color is not a selling point in the southeast, have no deserts in Applilachia. Shipping, dealer transfer fees, two to three months Gold Member status before get it from appearing on card monthly and looking at $1,500+ for worn, ragged out pistol which is much more than same thing in new condition just because was issued at some point.

Have enough WW1, WW2 and Vietnam issue pistols know who carried and if blooded or not. Those look like 29 Palms training units as would not take such a ratty looking gun into combat. My guess is Marines are selling them same reason military abandoned them originally. Low capacity major power factor pistol is too much gun for the smaller troops, especially women. LGS has had several so long told me when picking up last SIG 1911 would be willing to trim price to get some out of inventory. Maybe should by a couple, get some of my buddies in Marine Corp to hold then sell as former Marine used pistol. Nahhh, got my eye on a SIG Ultra Compact and Max Michael plus an STI 2011 to burn my cash on. The new Colt's are not priced appropriately feature for feature with other 1911's these days and have plenty of vintage units.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 06:43   #14
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

IIRC Lee Carpenteri said that the Marines were having problems with cracking frames which led to these being in inventory for only a few years. That and SOCOM standardizing on the Glock 19.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 20:27   #15
Olaf
Registered

FALaholic #: 63894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
Well,

IIRC Lee Carpenteri said that the Marines were having problems with cracking frames which led to these being in inventory for only a few years. That and SOCOM standardizing on the Glock 19.

Thorack
I wonder why the cracked frame issues?
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017, 06:01   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
I wonder why the cracked frame issues?
That would be concerning. Rough handling would not account for this but idea that were training units may account for it. If not built tough, properly maintained, a 1911 that was used daily on range firing full power ball ammo would take a beating. Have one Colt 80 series that stopped logging rounds at somewhere around the 120,000 count. It uses Wilson "Shock Buffs" which are replaced every time start to look worn, run proper weight spring with full length spring guide, replace recoil spring every 10,000 rounds and rest every 25,000, send out for refresh every 50,000 rounds for slide to frame fit and any other issues smith might find.

My guess is its well over a quarter million rounds now and only on second barrel which is still crisp. Why I like shooting lead pushed by Unique powder. Lead doesn't wear steel much and have read more than once Unique has additives to keep burn temperature low. Know I can run 100 rounds down bore almost as fast as possible and pistol is never obsessively hot. Recently took this what should be worn out pistol, sent out for inspection and conversion to a custom carry. Still sports a Wilson match barrel and compensator so is big, added a modern magazine funnel, all new internals with huge number of titanium parts plus a tritium front sight for working a large room with a crowd. A Colt built in second year of series 80 production run, converted to IPSC unlimited in 1985 and run like a $20 crack hoe for 30 years and snuggled slide to frame fit, replaced all wear items and springs using current 1911 "cool parts" and now it's a well trusted carry and usually shot once a week.

After a quarter million major power factor rounds down the bore, no issue ever noticed beyond normal recommended maintenance it's very concerning to hear that Colts the Marine Corp has only been using a few years are suffering from cracked frames. Only managed to crack frame of one 1911 in my life. In 1983 wanted to build my first 1911 and used a Colt slide on Essex frame. About 10,000 rounds in it cracked and was being well cared for as in those days didn't have the funds to abuse my guns. I am going to m have to Google this and see if the new Colt's have any known issue with frames as have been tempted to buy some of the new ones except for the SIG kick am on has me distracted for now.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 24, 2017, 07:43   #17
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
That would be concerning. Rough handling would not account for this but idea that were training units may account for it. If not built tough, properly maintained, a 1911 that was used daily on range firing full power ball ammo would take a beating. Have one Colt 80 series that stopped logging rounds at somewhere around the 120,000 count. It uses Wilson "Shock Buffs" which are replaced every time start to look worn, run proper weight spring with full length spring guide, replace recoil spring every 10,000 rounds and rest every 25,000, send out for refresh every 50,000 rounds for slide to frame fit and any other issues smith might find.

My guess is its well over a quarter million rounds now and only on second barrel which is still crisp. Why I like shooting lead pushed by Unique powder. Lead doesn't wear steel much and have read more than once Unique has additives to keep burn temperature low. Know I can run 100 rounds down bore almost as fast as possible and pistol is never obsessively hot. Recently took this what should be worn out pistol, sent out for inspection and conversion to a custom carry. Still sports a Wilson match barrel and compensator so is big, added a modern magazine funnel, all new internals with huge number of titanium parts plus a tritium front sight for working a large room with a crowd. A Colt built in second year of series 80 production run, converted to IPSC unlimited in 1985 and run like a $20 crack hoe for 30 years and snuggled slide to frame fit, replaced all wear items and springs using current 1911 "cool parts" and now it's a well trusted carry and usually shot once a week.

After a quarter million major power factor rounds down the bore, no issue ever noticed beyond normal recommended maintenance it's very concerning to hear that Colts the Marine Corp has only been using a few years are suffering from cracked frames. Only managed to crack frame of one 1911 in my life. In 1983 wanted to build my first 1911 and used a Colt slide on Essex frame. About 10,000 rounds in it cracked and was being well cared for as in those days didn't have the funds to abuse my guns. I am going to m have to Google this and see if the new Colt's have any known issue with frames as have been tempted to buy some of the new ones except for the SIG kick am on has me distracted for now.
7 Gr. of Unique and a 230 gr. fmj. Perfect load for these old 1911's.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017, 09:34   #18
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
I count 730 sold on the GB Gold deal, it looks like they may be all done. Mine shows as shipped, might be here tomorrow. I'll give a report.

Karl
Well it looks like you did alright.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/632002084
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017, 22:43   #19
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Angry

Showed ad to owner of one on my local LGS's and when he saw condition and price was appalled then looked at the numbers and said new that was the almost $2,000 variation. A U.S. Marine was in store filling out papers for an SBR and said they were having trouble with them. Said Marines are renown for abusing their equipment and we're having problems with them as round count went up. He was a former D.I. and currently doing his stint as a recruiter. Said he wouldn't buy one but if I wanted to buy one of the units LGS had would shoot it for me then write a letter and sign saying it had been used by a Marine. LGS is trying to clear remaining units out at just under $1,400 NIB out the door.
Old March 25, 2017, 17:54   #20
gomezav
Registered

FALaholic #: 22452
I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge regarding government markings. I have an early Colt Custom Shop M45a1 with the USMC roll marks. I assumed the government models were marked "U.S. Property". These surplus pistols looks exactly like the commercial M45a1s (minus the USMC roll marks) with "U.S." only markings.....
gomezav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017, 21:24   #21
michael_g927
Registered

FALaholic #: 31039
Man i remember just a few years ago the 1911 guys were thumping their chests about the MC adopting this weapon. I bet they arent saying much now that the G19 has replaced it. WOW!
I have a Springfiels Armory Mil Spec 1911A1. Its only 4 years old. I doubt its has a full case of ammo thru it.
What recoil equipment should i put into it and how ofton should i change the recoil spring?
michael_g927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2017, 20:05   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Put a full length recoil spring guide in it, Wilson flatwire chrome silicon spring in stock weight and buy a couple packs of blue Wilson shock buffs. Replace shock buffs when look like they need it and respring every 10,000 rounds if use mostly range ammo and 5,000 if use full power rounds. If can afford it put an oversize barrel that doesn't use a bushing. One less part to malfunction and barrel is fitted to slide. My favorite 5" Colt has a bushingless Quadralock barrel with special guide rod that uses shims to adjust tension on barrel lug and ensures barrel hood is pushed properly up into frame for full lock up. Can see how fat barrel is if look closely.

Have a Colt Series 80 with over a half million rounds and just pull maintenance when it tells me to. Am so in tune with it can tell when it's due for something. Recently went through it totally and converted it to a carry gun by adding a 3.25 pound trigger to replace the 2.5 pound and tritium sights. Use it in sanctuary at church where want to be darn sure rounds go exactly where intended.

Soon as get a SIG Max Michael plan to have it customized to replace the old war horse.
Old April 03, 2017, 07:54   #23
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Put a full length recoil spring guide in it, Wilson flatwire chrome silicon spring in stock weight and buy a couple packs of blue Wilson shock buffs. Replace shock buffs when look like they need it and respring every 10,000 rounds if use mostly range ammo and 5,000 if use full power rounds. If can afford it put an oversize barrel that doesn't use a bushing. One less part to malfunction and barrel is fitted to slide. My favorite 5" Colt has a bushingless Quadralock barrel with special guide rod that uses shims to adjust tension on barrel lug and ensures barrel hood is pushed properly up into frame for full lock up. Can see how fat barrel is if look closely.

Have a Colt Series 80 with over a half million rounds and just pull maintenance when it tells me to. Am so in tune with it can tell when it's due for something. Recently went through it totally and converted it to a carry gun by adding a 3.25 pound trigger to replace the 2.5 pound and tritium sights. Use it in sanctuary at church where want to be darn sure rounds go exactly where intended.

Soon as get a SIG Max Michael plan to have it customized to replace the old war horse.

I always get "Bad Dog,Bad Dog" for this 1911A1. I have several unmolested 1911 & 1911A1 but this is the most fun to shoot of all. I see nothing wrong with a hot rod 1911.....Like you example hueyville.

01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2017, 16:29   #24
jollyrogerf14
Platinum Contributor

Unissued USMC pistols went on sale today for around $1900 I think it was. Just over 50 were available when I got the email. They lasted 15 minutes. Talk about selling in no time!!

With one being bid to $3700 on gunbroker yesterday, these pistols were a screaming deal! Wish I coulda bought 12 of them!
Old April 03, 2017, 18:50   #25
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

I heard 290 sold at $2200 by the time they were gone. Missed it completely.

Only available to Gold Members.
- Robert Service
Old April 03, 2017, 19:01   #26
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4827
It wasn't that these weapons weren't properly maintained, or abused by the Marines using them, they simply weren't holding up in use. Marine Raiders (critical skills operators) shoot a lot. And yes, these comments were from guys actually using them.

The rulebook is the last refuge of the incompetent. (With apologies to Isaac Asimov)
OMR_RDTandE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2017, 18:32   #27
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
SACRILEGE!!!!

Old geezers all agree the Colt 1911 is the best handgun ever made!! Marines must not be leaving them in safe and fondling them enough.

Flushing Colts and buying Glock 19. Hell must have frozen over for the Cold War crowd.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017, 08:30   #28
raubvogel
Registered

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMR_RDTandE View Post
It wasn't that these weapons weren't properly maintained, or abused by the Marines using them, they simply weren't holding up in use. Marine Raiders (critical skills operators) shoot a lot. And yes, these comments were from guys actually using them.
You know you will now incur the wrath of the 1911 fanboys, right?
Old April 15, 2017, 12:24   #29
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

There is an over 50 page thread running over on the 1911 Forum, these pistols are the real deal and those lucky enough to get in got themselves a real piece of history.
- Robert Service
Old April 15, 2017, 18:15   #30
OMR_RDTandE
Low Speed, High Drag
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4827
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
You know you will now incur the wrath of the 1911 fanboys, right?
I'll care why? When they can tell me how they routinely put 500 rounds of 230 gr FMJ through theirs guns, in an afternoon, I might listen.

The rulebook is the last refuge of the incompetent. (With apologies to Isaac Asimov)
OMR_RDTandE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 08:59   #31
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
I got mine as an investment. It's got USMC provenance and it's Colt. In a few years, some fanboy will pay me a bunch of money for it and I'll buy something else I want.
Old April 24, 2017, 20:23   #32
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The USGI WWII pictured above with Quadralock barrel plus a few fire control upgrades has seen tens of thousands of rounds since I became owner. Know previous owner shot it regularly. I shoot mostly 200 grain major power factor cast bullets. Replacing recoil springs regularly and such is important. The series 80 comp gun has over a half million rounds if it has one. Use Wilson Shockbuffs and replace as show wear. Every 5,000 rounds gets a good total tear down and inspection along with recoil spring. Every 10,000 replacement of recoil spring, mainspring, sear spring and firing pin return spring. Every 100,000 rounds gets its 10k kit plus a disconnector, barrel link kit and extractor. At 250k gets the 100k kit plus slide fit to frame verified.

I don't care how much these guys are shooting if armorers are doing their jobs and pistols are breaking then something is bad wrong. I burn an average of 500 rounds of 45 acp per week sometimes much more. Sometimes will burn 500 rounds in a day. Know from primer consumption and load logs average over a quarter million 45 acp per decade average for past four decades. That's over a million rounds of 45 from one hillbilly. 90% of those have run through five guns and almost 1/2 through just that Series 80 comp gun and only on second barrel. Can find myself sending 100 rounds through it just on lunch break. The new SIG STX, Tacops and Target are seeing a lot of use lately. Soon as find a Max Michael going to do a full race gun on it and finalize complete conversion to a full time carry out of the Series 80 compensated pistol. Like a work truck, consistent maintenance is huge part of why have four trucks with over 300,000 miles and sold a Dakota with over 400,000 that new owner uses as a daily driver.