The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old September 27, 2018, 11:37   #1
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
Simpson Ltd.?

Has anyone here ever sold a rifle on consignment with Simpson Ltd.? I've purchased a few firearms from them, and am contemplating their offer to sell my 1935 Brazilian Mauser on consignment.

I'd be looking at a 20% commission charge, plus shipping the rifle to their location with no idea how long it would take to move it. Weighing that option, versus trying to sell it on Gunboards or this forum's marketplace.

Any feedback from experiences would be helpful. Thanks!
gaijinsamurai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 11:39   #2
nmcollektor
Registered

FALaholic #: 61864
I'd go with another option - Gunbroker. Especially if it is in really good condition.

Just set a price that you can live with. It will sell as long as the pricing is set right and your photos are good.
nmcollektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 11:42   #3
gaijinsamurai
Registered

Thanks for the feedback.

I've purchased firearms and parts via Gunbroker, with no negative experiences. I'll do some research and consider that option as well. I assume Gunbroker will want a percentage or fee.
Old September 27, 2018, 11:44   #4
nmcollektor
Registered

They charge a fee based on the amount it sells for. For example, the fee on $1000 rifle might be $30 (rough estimate from memory).

If it's in good shape, that rifle is desirable enough that I would put it up for $299 starting price with no reserve. I think you would be pleased with the results, although you have to be willing to gamble a bit.
Old September 27, 2018, 14:26   #5
gaijinsamurai
Registered

I'd ask a lot more than a few hundred, based on what I'm seeing.

https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/d13315

The issue I'm seeing is that high priced items that are aimed at a specific collecting community tend to move slowly.
Old September 27, 2018, 14:39   #6
nmcollektor
Registered

Sorry, I wasn't implying that your rifle wasn't valuable - quite the opposite.

What I'm saying is that they are considered desirable enough that IF you start with a low opening bid you will get more people watching and bidding on it.

So if you have a truly high condition M1935, I would put it up for $299 opening on a 14 days auction and see what happens.

The $2700 example you showed is (to me) on the high side. I would say $1500-$1700 would be a more commonly encountered price. Simpsons often does this, as a bargaining point or because they legitimately believe they will EVENTUALLY sell it for this price.

I collect KAR 88 carbines, and they've got a decent one that would probably sell for $800 easily. But instead they've had it listed for $1600 for the last year and a half.
Old September 27, 2018, 14:47   #7
gaijinsamurai
Registered

No worries, my reply probably came across like I was being a dick, but that wasn't my intention.

I appreciate your advice. I'd probably start in the $1500 range, and hope for the best.

Basically, I just want enough to buy a halfway decent C96.