The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old June 03, 2018, 23:53   #1
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Tec 9 SBR?

Anyone here ever SBR a Tec 9? If yes, what kind of stock did you use, any mods necessary, & how well were you satisfied with it?
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2018, 03:20   #2
paulb2112
Registered

FALaholic #: 65687
tec

Never did one but it seems only area I'd trust to mount it to is steel receiver tube. Stock like a grease gun with slider tubes welded on either side of receiver
tube. Would need spacers to move sliders out a bit.
My buddy has a greaser stock. I might have to go measure it this week.
paulb2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2018, 06:09   #3
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
why not get a "stabilizing brace" and skip the BS.
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2018, 10:12   #4
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
I know the org MP9 had a wire stock on it ..And some of the full auto tec had the same set up ...

The forward grip for the guns can easily be found ...Me I would skip the stock and just rock that as the stock /stock options for the tec is limited ...What I should add is just SBR it but just rock the grip ala MP5K ..For god sakes dont add the grip with no tax stamp you will be in a bad place

Me I rather SBR a MAC10 or UZI or the like as there is more stock options and the guns are less fragile

Last edited by pre1989; June 04, 2018 at 14:11.
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2018, 12:53   #5
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post

The forward grip for the guns can easily be found ...Me I would skip the stock and just rock that as the stock /stock options for the tec is limited
Yeah, but installing a forward grip on a pistol is a felony unless it's been registered as an AOW.

I've got a complete TEC upper set aside for a rifle build but it's going to be a scratch build bullpup of some sort and don't have it all figured out so that probably doesn't help much.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2018, 14:11   #6
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Yeah, but installing a forward grip on a pistol is a felony unless it's been registered as an AOW.

I've got a complete TEC upper set aside for a rifle build but it's going to be a scratch build bullpup of some sort and don't have it all figured out so that probably doesn't help much.

I should have re phase ..What I ment was SBR it but just put the pistol grip on it ..Use it like a poor mans mp5k idea ... I was going to say just aow it but last I check the fee to make a SBR or AOW is the same ...

And a bullpup tec 9 would be neat

I know the Italy back in the 80s imported a hi power mag 9mm and other caliber bullpup maybe look into that
Old June 05, 2018, 06:19   #7
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
I think the sliding stock option is probably the easisest.

Old June 05, 2018, 23:15   #8
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post
I think the sliding stock option is probably the easisest.

Thanks for posting that pic that is what I refering to ..And yeah second that for easy
Old June 06, 2018, 05:49   #9
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
Tech 9's

The Tec-9 is a semi-auto closed bolt weapon, The KG-9 was the open bolt variant, When the Tec-9 was made the owner went to steel with a blued/Black finish. Their was also a stainless steel version made too and a mini version also in stainless steel. When the owner went out of business he later on moved to Cocoa Fl. and after years of research started the company called Kel-Tec Inc.

I do remember their Was a retractable stock for the KG-9A which was the Full-Auto variant back before May Of 1986 when Intratec was in Hialeah,Fl. As people that were converting KG-9's to Full-Auto Illegally especially with all the drug wars that were going on in South Miami back then which were on the local day and nightly news were using Converted AR-15's, Mac-10 in both 9mm and ,45 acp and KG-9's converted to F/A.

Theirs a company in the NRA's American Rifleman called www.FTFINDUSTRIES.COM that say they have Intratec parts. Just remember that it's a 200.00 tax stamp for a SBR Just like a HK SP89 or Tec-9. Good Luck, Lee.
Old June 08, 2018, 06:38   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I thought I was the only white person that still owned any of those but if going to run it really hard would use my M11's or M10's.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2018, 09:25   #11
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I thought I was the only white person that still owned any of those but if going to run it really hard would use my M11's or M10's.
Agreed to this ..I like the old open bolt guns ..But the Mac are built a bit heavier imop ..Though I find the KG9 to be a bit more comffy in stock form to fire though
Old June 09, 2018, 09:58   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I like my Tec-9, paid $120 for it in a pawn shop back when only brothers in the hood and movie prop masters used them. They were dirt cheap and ones bought FTF really good for disposable pitch off the next bridge guns.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old June 13, 2018, 11:43   #13
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
I thought Tec-9s didn't run.
Old June 13, 2018, 18:58   #14
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
They run with FMJs. Don't use +p!
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 16:07   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

^^^^+1^^^^

Load them up with milsurp 9mm ball and they will run but like M11's and M10's aiming them is the biggest issue. They will also rip though hard cast trunicated cone ammo as well. Have pair of the older original Tec 9's and like my M10/11's have a laser on them and generally run with a suppressor. On both designs most issues see is with weak recoil spring or bent recoil spring guide rod. Over the years have bought a pile of Tec 9's, Mac 9's, 10's and 11's which owners were having issues and if feeding them ball ammo didn't solve the issue usually meant they had a warped/bent recoil spring rod and weak spring or magazine spring issue.

If swapping the rod, swap the spring and remember were designed as submachine guns so feed them the food were designed around. WW2 through Vietnam Era 9mm military ball, keep them oiled and fling bullets. Really wish still had a bunch of the ones fixed and sold still hoarded away. Worn across back of your load bearing vest or armor if main rifle takes a dump a sub gun doesn't weigh much and can pour some firepower on target if need.

Weak points are extremely high rate of fire if have a select fire as my 380 acp M11's will dump a 30 round mag in less than two seconds. The Tec 9 has 1,050 rpm rate of fire so the few full autos will run your mag dry with just a couple short bumps of the trigger. Have never fired a full auto Tec 9 but reason they got pulled so fast from the market it's butt easy to convert one. Growing up in Marietta/Smyrna area even though moved away at age 11 we were back to visit family and friends all my life regularly so it being a locally made firearm every gun store and pawn shop seemed to have them and were rumors lot of parts walked out of assembly plants as multiple bankruptcies and reorganizations occured. All of mine are yellow sheet, 4473 or Form 4 papered.

Was in a hick family owned gun shop back in 1990's when a former employee of Ingram, Sionics and most of the iterations of the Mac company asked if he could hold a used Mac 10 for a few minutes. He turned his back to everyone, tore it down and reassembled. Took it out back door with loaded magazine and riiiiiippppp. Off went a full mag dump to which he turned his back, disassembled/reassembled and fired to prove it was semiauto again. While I am the kind if did such one time in the middle of my farm, middle of night while in a wrath of God storm soon as dropped the mag 500 BATF agents would step out from behind trees and another 100 parachute down from sky on me. Also like my legally registered M11's tap the trigger and your out of ammo so neither are a very efficient weapon.

Tec 9's get a bad rap and many trash talk them but are easier to handle than a Mac as can use the magazine like a forward grip and suppressed are controllable. Figure out how to nail a laser on them and wait for the dot to paint your target. Either is crude but not much different than a grease gun, MP40, etc. Spray lots of bullets in general direction of threat and either give yourself time to get out of harms way or overwhelm threat. I can place much more accurate fire with a five inch 1911 but shove a sub gun around a corner and spray has its own merits. I like having a full tool box just like a golfer has a pitching wedge and a sand wedge.
Old June 14, 2018, 17:18   #16
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
LMAO.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Carpentieri View Post
The Tec-9 is a semi-auto closed bolt weapon, The KG-9 was the open bolt variant.....
Don't forget the KG-99, which was the first closed bolt version. When Interdynamics was sold to Intratech it was renamed the Tech-9.