The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old December 17, 2017, 11:46   #1
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
Bethany shoudda known better....damn pits

http://ktla.com/2017/12/15/woman-mau...em-for-a-walk/

two 125 pound pits ensured Bethany's non-survival.

""The victim had defensive wounds on her hands and arms trying to keep the dogs away from her, which would be consistent with being attacked while she was still alive,” Agnew told reporters during a Friday afternoon news conference.

The first traumatic injuries suffered by the woman were to her face and throat area, he said, adding that she suffered puncture marks to her skull. She lost consciousness after being taken to the ground “and the dogs then mauled her to death,” according to the sheriff.
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 12:04   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Like fast cars and light triggers, some people are not qualified to own anything dangerous. Wife has cousin with the two most unruly dogs on planet. Charge people all the time and without shock collars set to max she would have to destroy them. Left them with me for two weeks and were almost deprogrammed from charging strangers, had stopped chewing furniture and stopped crapping in house totally. Within a week of getting them back home both had reverted totally to their old ways. She lets them be the boss and they assume command. If she scolds them they crap in house. to show her are upset. A month and I could fix them but within a month of returning she would ruin them again.

Had a Rotweiler/Pit Bull mix once that loved to wrestle. He would pin me on ground and grab my head in his jaws and close to point had to tap out but never broke any skin. Same when he would take me by arm when playing. Always put on Carhart long sleeve work shirt and only once did he slightly tear a sleeve on a single layer shirt. My heavy insulated shirts he never even grabbed hard enough to really hurt but hard enought I went with him than against. Anyone but me if felt a threat he would have gone to bone but only to pin them. Would not have made a killing move. Stupid people die when do stupid things.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 12:51   #3
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 13:04   #4
Registered

yanno, i have developed a walking path free of dangerous dogs, until yesterday. i walked around the corner and ran into a guy with a spuds mckinsey dog, a bull terrier, which was on a leash but the terrier was doing his best to get my dog. the owner could barely hold the bull terrier but did prevent an attack. they now live around the corner from me.

i had pepper spray & ole reliable but chilled. the bull terrier is a very impressive looking dog.

now an electric stun gun or sjambok might be in order.
Old December 17, 2017, 16:03   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Petition to not kill the dogs. Idiots don't believe that they would attack the owner. Ha knew a guy with a big ass nasty rot that turned on him. Called the vet to put him down instead of spending a quarter.

My good friend had a pit mix. Talked to him a few weeks ago and the dog jumped one of his older and weaker dogs. He found the dead dog in the kennel. Went back to the house immediately to fetch a gun and shot the dog in the head.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 16:22   #6
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
With dogs, you are either the Alpha

...or you is the Beta.

You don't want to be the Beta around a Pit.

Budy of mine has one since it was a pup. Well-behaved dog. Buddy has free-roaming chickens too. I asked him if he was worried about the Pit around the chickens. He advised that he locked the Pit in the henhouse when it was a pup. Those chickens taught the Pit who was the Alpha. Pit is scared shitless of those chickens. Pretty damn funny.

Gotta know when to put-down a big dog that doesn't know (or can't be taught) its place.

+1 on the clueless owners. Some of them need to be taught their place too.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 10:49   #7
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
now an electric stun gun or sjambok might be in order.
Sawed-off 4' length of 1.5" diameter hickory shovel handle is a good, cheap walking stick that can be used to send a stand-off message to the mutt.

Salvaged from trash, $0.

A generally useful site -> https://www.artofmanliness.com/
Note: Cartoon instructions fail to note that wrapping your weak/sacrificial arm in a jacket/sweater gives an added layer of protection.

Last edited by Story; December 19, 2017 at 11:04.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 11:11   #8
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
Dogs do not turn on owners without a reason. When you have two large potentially aggressive dogs, you had better be the alpha. In any case the dogs are ruined now. I have seen lazy inept people ruin perfectly good dogs before. There is good reason a dog's owner is called it's master.
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 11:51   #9
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Bethany shoulda got coon hounds instead. Lot better dog,and they don't eat their masters.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 18:35   #10
Registered

beth looked pretty harmless to me. can't imagine she did anything to piss off the dogs. the cartoon is serioudly stupid.
Old December 19, 2017, 18:40   #11
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
the cartoon is serioudly stupid.
Had Bethany read the cartoon, she might still be alive.

Or maybe she'd have gotten some Pomeranians instead.

Poor Bethany.

She's dead.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 18:40   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Bethany shoulda got coon hounds instead. Lot better dog,and they don't eat their masters.
Or a couple of big ass aggressive wiener dogs to teach her before screwing with a large apex predator

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 10:06   #13
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Or a couple of big ass aggressive wiener dogs to teach her before screwing with a large apex predator
Was a day I'd probably eaten Bethany too,but she'd have made me eggs and bacon next morning...
Old December 22, 2017, 11:25   #14
RomanLeaderII
Registered

FALaholic #: 67198
Carry a firearm and kill the attacking dog. Its not worth getting bitten over.
RomanLeaderII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 13:34   #15
The Pigpen
Registered

FALaholic #: 51732
Is this the same one that when she was found the dogs were eating her rib cage?
Old December 22, 2017, 14:34   #16
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
One Christmas Eve about six years ago all the family and a number of friends were at out house to eat, drink, and be merry. There also was a rottie, a German Shepard, three pitts, and a chihuahua running loose inside. The chihuahua (female) was obviously the boss.

Certainly there are bad dogs out there. But I believe when a tragedy like what occurred last week, it is most often due to the owner - either chronically mistreating the animal or simply having more dog and of a breed they do not have the skills to handle. Sometimes the owner will half-ass "train" his dog in protection, and all they accomplish is building a time bomb.

I have a small female pitt - about 50#s - and a senior German Shepard. We all get along because I'm the Alpha and everyone in my family is higher up in the pack than the two of them are, and they know it. But it takes constant reinforcement of one kind or another.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 16:14   #17
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 51017
Quote:
Was a day I'd probably eaten Bethany too,but she'd have made me eggs and bacon next morning...
YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pigpen View Post
Is this the same one that when she was found the dogs were eating her rib cage?
Yes.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 20:22   #18
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Quote:
I have a coonhound, Black and Tan with a Bluetick bib. He's just a big clown most of the time... Unless you happen to be somebody that annoys me. He does pick up on that.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017, 08:13   #19
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
I have a coonhound, Black and Tan with a Bluetick bib. He's just a big clown most of the time... Unless you happen to be somebody that annoys me. He does pick up on that.
My hounds have been treeing Walkers. Each,a little different,but gawd almighty loyal.
Old December 24, 2017, 07:23   #20
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
I have had just about every breed of coon hound over the years. All great dogs. sometimes not too intelligent, but still good dogs. I currently have a pair of redbones. The biggest problem with them is the lack of manners, around the table. Never had this problem with the other hounds. My wife gets frustrated with them. They love everyone,,but,, they will pick up on the signal that I don't like someone, then that someone should be on their way.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote