Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Closed Thread

Old August 12, 2017, 08:29   #1
Bakwa352
Registered

FALaholic #: 77836
10/22 Heavy Barrel

I'm upgrading my barrel on my 10/22 to a heavy contour [& more accurate] barrel.
I've been looking at the big names like Kidd and Green Mountain. What are some other brands worth looking into for good varmint type barrel that one could feel confident in it's being accurate.
Experience is always helpful too.
Thank you in advance.
Old August 12, 2017, 09:19   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
Lilja has been the #1 barrel for accurate rimfire barrels for the last 10 years or so.
http://riflebarrels.com/shop/drop-in-barrels/1022-lr-2/
A bit expensive but it really depends on what you're willing to do and pay for.

Something you may have not have considered is the 10/22 barrel attachment and barrel band. The 10/22 was designed as a 1 piece receiver, barrel and stock. For a more accurate rifle, the barrel needs to be floated. The 10/22 was never designed for a floated barrel. A bull barrel will be heavy and difficult to float. A lot of people bed the bull barrel and float the action.
You would need a good laminated stock such as a Boyds to make it all work.

Then there's the accurate ammo problem. Easy to find but expensive.

Lastly, a scope capable of bringing it all together.

I decided the 10/22 wasn't designed for bull barrel application and went with the standard contour barrel and bedded it. It has more than acceptable accuracy at 50yds.

If you want to stay with the bull barrel, it would be best to make it as short as possible, say 16.25"
Old August 12, 2017, 09:57   #3
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Whistlepig.
So said a Gun Club member that must have had $20,00 for so in 10/22 variations.
Volquartsen, Feddersen and Kidd Match barrels were were others that he liked. This guy was not happy with anything that shot larger than 0.50" groups at 50 yds. I don't think there was much Ruger left in his rifles. Kidd triggers were mentioned a lot by him.

He also said that most stock 10/22's benefitted greatly from a good barrel re-crown.

His rifles were pretty far out there for my conservative taste, but he did put a lot of bullets in the same hole. A Simmons 6-18x seems to be helpful in doing so.

I'm just a Plinker and have been happy with a Ruger 10/22 LVT (my first) this past year. The barrel seems to shoot fine, but the trigger could use some improvement along with the old dude pulling it.
Old August 12, 2017, 12:10   #4
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
KIDD is the best. And you'll pay for it.

Of course, you can get a blank from any quality maker and have it machined to fit a 10/22 receiver.

Randy @ CPC (Connecticut Precision Chambering) - http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger10-22.html - can re-work a factory barrel (set it back, recut crown, recut chamber). Can also tap a receiver and thread a barrel on.

My build uses a GM barrel (18" blued .920) and it is MOA capable with CCI SV and Wolf/SK.
Old August 12, 2017, 12:12   #5
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
I'm just a Plinker and have been happy with a Ruger 10/22 LVT (my first) this past year. The barrel seems to shoot fine, but the trigger could use some improvement along with the old dude pulling it.
LVT is probably the best factory 10/22. If you want to fix the trigger, skip the BX unit, and either get the KIDD drop in for $110 or send it to Brimstone Gunsmithing for a Tier 3 basic job, set it to "the sweet spot" or 2.5lbs...
Old August 12, 2017, 12:31   #6
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
I have a 10-22 with a 20" green mountain heavy barrel. It will shoot MOA all day. (a calm day!) Of course nothing on the rifle is Ruger anymore.....

YMMV

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Old August 12, 2017, 12:52   #7
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I have a carbon fiber wrapped barrel that is .920 diameter which sjoots pretty good. Haven't put a good scope on it, just been using a red dot but it's super light and I can put rounds through it as fast as I want and it doesn't heat up.
Old August 12, 2017, 13:50   #8
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Give Feddersen a serious look, best bang for the buck imho. The only downside to Fred's target barrels in my experience is the finish, but that never bothered me much.
Old August 14, 2017, 09:30   #9
gunseller
Registered

FALaholic #: 10120
I have one of the first 10/22T rifles that Ruger produced. With a crapy simmons scope using Winchester Wildcat ammo it will keep 10 under 1 inch at 100 yards all day long. I have been told that Ruger did trigger jobs on the 10/22Ts the first two years of manufactor. Don't know if this is correct or not but it has one of the best triggers I have ever seen on a Ruger. You might see if Ruger will sell you a factory heavy barrel.
Steve
Old August 14, 2017, 10:51   #10
palmettomoon
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 33994
Anyone else try a KSI LLC barrel? I bought one (threaded to use a suppressor) for about $125 if memory serves. Using ELEY Club ammunition it'll hold a single 1/4" hole at 50 yards. I was able to shoot back to back 246 scores at the last Appleseed with it. Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope is nice on it.

Forgot to add: Kidd trigger, there is nothing better IMHO.
Old August 14, 2017, 11:06   #11
Bakwa352
Registered

Thanks for all the responses so far.
That's a lot of different barrels that have been recommended. I have my homework cut out for me.

My 10/22 was shooting 2"-2.5" groups at 100yds with mini mags before my cousin did some trigger work on it. When I get the trigger group back, I'll see how it shoots like that. Unless the trigger work cuts those groups in half, I'll probably pick up an aftermarket barrel and stock.
And of course I'll need to experiment with a few more different types of good ammo.

My goal is to build a sub MOA training gun that's cheaper to shoot than a 5.56.
Old August 14, 2017, 15:52   #12
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
There's a ton of tricks for tuning up 10/22's out there before dumping money on it. Try shooting without the Barrel Band if you have one. You might also try putting a Business Card shim or two or three etc. for some up tension at the front of the stock.

In the end, however, a good trigger and a Match chamber are what it takes to make those tiny groups. Don't forget to give that muzzle crown a real skeptical examination while your at it.

Good luck in your quest and please tell us what kind of 10/22 Woopeedoo you come up with.
Old August 14, 2017, 19:42   #13
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwa352 View Post
Training for what? I've never considered the Ruger a trainer for anything. It's got mechanics that are all it's own. Now, having a super accurate plinker for no other reason than "because", that I can 100% get behind. I got to shoot another members 10/22 not too long ago at a small plinking session and it hooked me on 2 things. Wanting to build another target 10/22, and wanting to do it quietly with a can. I've got a long list of "because I can" projects, and now a target 10/22 or 3 are on it. In the end, make it yours and be happy. With fiddling around (lots of it) the factory barrels will shoot very well. But the bull barrel has that target look, and the chamber to match...

Good luck

Last edited by MilsurpMonkey; August 14, 2017 at 20:21.
Old August 14, 2017, 19:50   #14
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilsurpMonkey View Post
for no other reason than "because", that I can 100% get behind.
Well said
Old August 14, 2017, 21:08   #15
flopshot
Registered

FALaholic #: 21389
GM tube, trigger work, trigger stop, free float sans the band. cross pin the receiver, shoot low V ammo. you'll be pleased.
Old August 15, 2017, 05:41   #16
K. Funk
Old Fart
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I put a Shaw barrel on mine with a Timney trigger pack. I replaced the factory stock with a Boyds laminated thumbhole. I really haven't tuned it up yet, but it is good for squirrel at 100yds as is.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
Old August 15, 2017, 09:41   #17
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Got this little 10/22 short heavy barrel for the yutz to get all learned up on before graduating up to larger calibers. It is a fun little squirrel gun and will do 1-1.5 MOA all day long at 100yds. I can hit the 6 inch gong at 200yds no problem but start running out of scope after that. It has a 6-12 Cabella's BDC (think it is made by Nikon) on it. I swapped out the horrible stock trigger for a Volquartsen and it made a world of difference. Fun little plinker and rodent gun!

Old August 15, 2017, 14:37   #18
Bakwa352
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilsurpMonkey View Post
Training for what? I've never considered the Ruger a trainer for anything. It's got mechanics that are all it's own. Now, having a super accurate plinker for no other reason than "because", that I can 100% get behind.
I shot an M&P10 at 200yds for a year or so before I moved into a 6.5 precision rifle. The practice translated nicely, even though the two rifles are vastly different. So I suppose that by trainer, I mean a rifle that I can practice fundamentals on while not spending $1 per trigger pull. At least my rational for these mods are so that I can get some "training" in for cheaper.
Either way, I think it will be a fun project and a fun plinker after it is finished.
Old August 15, 2017, 15:12   #19
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakwa352 View Post
Thanks for all the responses so far.
That's a lot of different barrels that have been recommended. I have my homework cut out for me.

My 10/22 was shooting 2"-2.5" groups at 100yds with mini mags before my cousin did some trigger work on it. When I get the trigger group back, I'll see how it shoots like that. Unless the trigger work cuts those groups in half, I'll probably pick up an aftermarket barrel and stock.
And of course I'll need to experiment with a few more different types of good ammo.

Stepping up in ammo quality will get you a lot closer.

Try CCI SV for inexpensive. Next step would be Wolf MT or SK Std+ (same ammo), or SK Magazine. Then Wolf ME/SK Rifle Match. Then Lapua Center-X.
Old November 02, 2017, 09:40   #20
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Got this little 10/22 short heavy barrel for the yutz to get all learned up on before graduating up to larger calibers. It is a fun little squirrel gun and will do 1-1.5 MOA all day long at 100yds. I can hit the 6 inch gong at 200yds no problem but start running out of scope after that. It has a 6-12 Cabella's BDC (think it is made by Nikon) on it. I swapped out the horrible stock trigger for a Volquartsen and it made a world of difference. Fun little plinker and rodent gun!

Went out and did a quick video range report with the little guy at 100yds. Not too impressive and probably could have used some better ammo and tightened things up a bit. Still a fun time.

Old November 24, 2017, 21:11   #21
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Video Range Report: Ruger 10-22 Heavy Barrel

Old December 13, 2017, 21:09   #22
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
Go check out RimFire Central

There is a website that has a lot of well thought out 10/22 improvements. It is Rimfire Central. There have been a series of gunsmiths that specialize in improving the accuracy of that rifle. The chief change that will improve accuracy is just using standard velocity ammo. The problem with using SV ammo is that reliability goes to pot in an un-modified 10/22.

With cast or swaged Lead bullets, one will typically find an increase in accuracy if one has a firearm chambered such that the bullet engraves on rifling. The typical .22 LR match bolt action rifle engraves Lead bullets a lot. If a .22 LR match pistol engraved bullets that much it would probably slam-fire, so they engrave just a little. The .22 LR 10/22 rifles I use for CMP .22 Sporter matches have what are essentially .22 match pistol chambers. This was achieved by the rear of the barrel being faced off by .200" and a tighter throat/chamber reamer bing used. They do not slam fire. They had to have some more changes to be reliable with SV ammo. Mostly, they had to have the rear/bottom of the bolt radiused and polished.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:04   #23
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I ended up with a Clark barrel when I slipped on engaging the half-nut during threading. It was 16". Now it's 15-1/2" with soldered muzzle device. When I built these rifles, I was looking for best bang for the buck - not crazy premium expensive, and not cheap crap either. Another barrel I picked up at a gunshow for cheap, it was 18 or 20" and I cut it back a bit. The third one I think was a Green Mountain. There is more difference in ammo selection, I suspect. As long as the kids are shooting bulk pack, and having fun, the difference between the three will be unknown.

By the way, I replaced the Boyd's wood "sniper"stock (painted green) with the Magpul. so if anyone wants it, I'll go $50 shipped.

Previously, I went with aluminum Tac Sol barrels and Hogue stocks for extreme lightweight. I was disappointed with the barrels because they were only fluted above the stock line. I'm not an physicist, but I'm pretty sure lack of symmetry in a vibrating cylinder, is going to have a detrimental affect on accuracy. So I had to machine the "new" barrels. Not impressed with accuracy, about the same as the factory barrel, but it is a "feeling" and not something I can document at this time.

Last edited by gunplumber; December 15, 2017 at 09:22.
Old December 14, 2017, 20:41   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Nice looking group of rifles GP. That an AAC 51T Ratchet Mount suppressor adapter on front?

When shop barrel look at who vendor uses for their blanks as few do all the processes. Have had really good luck out of Lothar Walther blanks spun by whoever. Have one of the original first run Ruger 10/22T with hammer forged barrel. Believe they are on like third generation of the their hammer forged heavy barrels. Mine was early enough for metal trigger housing and had the original offered laminated stock. Was one of the first out the door.

Ran it a few months, tore it apart and had barrel recrowned. Tore into trigger group and added a few Power Custom titanium parts, squared a few things on my Power Custom jig and used a Wolffe spring kit. Epoxies a threaded brass fitting for attaching action to stock, did some bedding work, especially in barrel pad area, reassembled using torque values a smith in warranty department of Ruger gave me, sat a 4.5-14 Burris scope and went from cloverleafs at 25 yard to single hole five shot groups and under MOA at 100 with good ammo and no wind.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=151960&page=6

Swapped a factory barrel for client at LGS and he abandoned his OEM barrel from a Walmart 10/22. Gave to our smith/machinist and had him cut, thread crown and pin suppressor adapter short as possible to give legal 16" with pinned adapter. Put on a used rifle bought just because had metal trigger housing, did my basic trigger job and bedding to use for squirrel killing only and shoots ragged one hole groups at 25 yards with 60 grain Aguilla Sniper Subsonic. Has a Leupold 3-9x and all squirrel die first shot.

Just swapping barrel is part of the battle. I saw above article or similar years ago and most of my Ruger 10/22's have plumbing parts in them ever since. It's where I start while waiting on barrel or barrel work. Clean up trigger, bed properly, torque bolts/screws correctly and a 10/22 will shoot well even with base line or OEM barrel if has a good chamber and crown. YMMV

Have a myriad of aftermarket barrels and found normally get what you pay for in a given price range from reputible vendors. One of my best shooting factory barrels cut to 14", crowned and TIG welded a thin walled pipe to make legal length. With 22 rimfire I do best with shortest barrel can get to 14" range or heavy barrel in 22" range. Short or long works for me but mid lengths not as well. Read a real scientific article years ago about 14.5" being optimum length for velocity/accuracy without using long match barrel in 22 rimfire.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 15, 2017, 09:24   #25
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Nice looking group of rifles GP. That an AAC 51T Ratchet Mount suppressor adapter on front?
yes - I'm pretty much married to AAC and the 51T, having it on all 7 of my SCAR rifles and my medium range Remington Sniper, so the 10/22s get it as well. The only thing remaining direct thread are my .22 caliber conversions for the Glock. Those have 1/2 x28 for a home-made silencer that I've kept because it outperforms the GEMTECH Outback, and is made from stainless screen stuffed inside an old lamp stand. By home-made, I mean rudimentary- I had very little lathe skills then and the end caps are JB welded. Still performs well 20 years later. It was one of my first projects after I became an SOT back in 1999.
Old December 15, 2017, 10:31   #26
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I bought a new 10/22 off the shelf a year ago.

For it to be a factory barrel, darn thing will shoot the lights out.

I don't know if that's the rule or the exception these days, but it shoots as well as both of my Savage Mk2's. Which also shoot very well. Headshots on squirrels are common.
Old December 15, 2017, 11:11   #27
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Here is my last winter project...10/22T
I left the factory barrel, receiver and bolt.
I did pillar bed the stock to float the barrel.
The rest is Kidd, Volquatsen, PWS, LaRue, Warne, Leupold, etc.
My goal was to clear (250 points) a big green benchrest target at 50 yards last summer, but I only scored ~240 as my best with REM ELEY Target ammo.
Much fun!

1022_R.jpg

"DON'T do business with this guy" (me) in the Marketplace.
Twenty years of (+) across the innerwebs are wrong...

Last edited by TenTea; December 15, 2017 at 18:59. Reason: omission
Old December 15, 2017, 22:55   #28
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

GP,
Can't seem to find a picture of the Boyd "sniper" stock. If not a thumb hole will take it. Have AAC 51T Ratchet Mount suppressor adapters on over 25 rifles from AR's to M1a's and an FAL but never thought about spinning one on a rimfire but the multicam Iberia cans do well with every other cartridge tried. My 6.8's love the multicaliber AAC 7.62 SDN and SDN-6 can as don't even have to adjust gas due to smaller diameter of projectile like with 5.56 does not develop enough back pressure to matter with a 30 caliber can. Have three on rifles in rack now and one in my briefcase. Recently learned my Osprey pistol cans are rated for 300 BO which has me thinking odd thoughts. Email inbound as know your love of PM's.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 16, 2017, 09:30   #29
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

It this one - painted green.

But I'll not sell to you Hueyville / Michael Crowder. You are a pathological liar - did you think I had forgotten about you publicly slandering me over a transaction that never occurred? F-ck you, you worthless piece of shit.
Old December 16, 2017, 09:41   #30
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Previously, I went with aluminum Tac Sol barrels and Hogue stocks for extreme lightweight. I was disappointed with the barrels because they were only fluted above the stock line. I'm not an physicist, but I'm pretty sure lack of symmetry in a vibrating cylinder, is going to have a detrimental affect on accuracy. So I had to machine the "new" barrels. Not impressed with accuracy, about the same as the factory barrel, but it is a "feeling" and not something I can document at this time.

You screwed them up when you machined the extra grooves. You put stress into the barrel by doing that. No wonder they don't shoot worth a sh*t.
The barrels are originally machined and then they "relax" before the .22 LR liner is installed.
Competition shooters have been using TacSol barrels for years, and love the accuracy. But then, they don't add any additional machining.
Another thing the TacSol barrel should use is the TacSol V-block (barrel retainer) with the TacSol barrel.
Old December 16, 2017, 10:23   #31
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
You screwed them up when you machined the extra grooves. You put stress into the barrel by doing that. No wonder they don't shoot worth a sh*t.
The barrels are originally machined and then they "relax" before the .22 LR liner is installed.
Competition shooters have been using TacSol barrels for years, and love the accuracy. But then, they don't add any additional machining.
Another thing the TacSol barrel should use is the TacSol V-block (barrel retainer) with the TacSol barrel.
Well, thanks for the info - as counter-intuitive as it is, perhaps a statement to that effect should be included. I'm not seeing why the heat transfer differential from fluting only one side of an aluminum barrel is a good thing. But you worked for TacSol, so maybe you can explain it. I still love the weight.
Old December 16, 2017, 10:52   #32
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Well, thanks for the info - as counter-intuitive as it is, perhaps a statement to that effect should be included. I'm not seeing why the heat transfer differential from fluting only one side of an aluminum barrel is a good thing. But you worked for TacSol, so maybe you can explain it. I still love the weight.
You can't machine something without putting stress into a part. That is something the machinist must consider when making a part, modifying a part, etc.

Most people who buy the TacSol barrels aren't going to machine more grooves. I guess a statement could be included but not sure it's necessary.

As for heat transfer, I seriously doubt you could put enough rounds through the barrel to heat it up to the point it would effect performance.That would be a lot of shooting, mag after mag, as fast as you can.

And I only made accurate barrels. Maybe you got one machined after I left.

It just so happens I have a TacSol barrel, new in the wrap. I think I'll mate it to a receiver and do an accuracy test on it. Look for it in the review section but not before spring when the weather warms up.
Old December 16, 2017, 14:17   #33
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

GP,
Sent you an email from my yahoo account on stock, guess call you Monday with credit card info. Will take the stock, its last piece needed except Form 1 coming back to finish next 10/22 project.

This morning wife was leaving house with a friend overnight and I will be working all day till after dark and out early in the morning so all the loose guns that don't fit in locking bed side rack were gathered up to go in whichever vault could stuff them. The AAC 762 SDN and SDN-6 are popular on the Ponderosa. Would have to pilfer safe or count up and total from lists of three Trusts to know exactly how many we have now.

The binary SBR and the suppressed SIG came with me today along with spare SDN-6 for rifle in lock behind seat. Even with locking rack next to bed plus dual monitored alarms don't like leaving suppressors out if house unoccupied as a snatch & grab then run attack could screw cans off guns in rack and hurt my pocket bad in under three minutes. Suppressors are one thing I don't want to know what paperwork is involved if gets stolen.

While an AAC51T looks goofy on an FAL looks really stupid on an M1a and why have three adapters in correct thread pattern and only one installed. FAL is only rifle they turn white after shoot it with a can on.

Have to keep plenty of AAC 51T's in stock as waiting for them to ship, especially if out of stock sucks. Had over a dozen still loose when did inventory before Black Friday sales started. Back to 10/22"s...

Old December 16, 2017, 18:51   #34
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Just walked in door from work. Brought my Power Custom Hammer and Sear Jig, need one for work and house as do 10/22's and 1911's at home. This is my 10/22 work table with an original Ruger 10/22T with hammer forged barrel. Like the originals better than the new ones. Bought two when came out, set one up with Leupold 4-12 AO scope and shot it like only rifle I owned for two years. Finally tore it down, swapped in pile of titanium fire control parts, did some trigger work, swapped scope to Leupold 4.5-14x plus a few other tricks and it's a sweet shooter. About as nice as my air gauged custom barrel with Kidd trigger and big scope. It's a lot more versitle.

Put second back in heavy coat of oil and sits in back of a vault without an optic ever being mounted or shot unless factory did. This unit found at a gun shop while out doing work on the road. Was reasonably clean, didn't see any real flaws and owner said people who were interested wouldn't pay the price as too close to what could buy a new model. As luck had it was two other guns interested in and when bundled all price became fair. Put the Leupold 4-12x that started with first 10/22T on top and shot for a few months, ordered pile of parts and tore it down. Everytime would start working discovered one more part wanted to add while had ripped to shreds. Been like this almost a year.

Now that it looks like I have a stock coming guess it's time to clear this off the bench and put in service. Have a Burris 4.5-14x 50mm AO at work new in box will sit on top when get it reassembled. Been a victim of too many projects going at same time like my current FAL project has been. Best part of GP's green stock is action going in it came off one of the green camouflage Walmart guns that was made before plastic trigger housings. Can start the build process so when my Form 1 comes back put it in service with the Loopy 4-12x or stick the rimfire can off my Beretta Minx and Jetfires on it while wait for form. Get another 10/22T finished and a 10/22 suppressor build finished then may go broke as whenever go on rimfire kick shoot way too much ammo as takes so long for shooters fatigue to set in.

Can't bring myself to shooting cheap rimfire ammo. Cheapest will use is the Federal Auto match in 325 round cartons and only when have friends dipping in my ammo pile. Otherwise test all 22's with Federal Gold Medal Match, CCI Green Tag, Ely and similar till find whatever mid range a rifle shoots best, whichever super expensive it likes and based on goals and volume shooting choose between the two appropriately.

Amazing how each rimfire can be so odd about ammo it prefers. Why keep tonnage of match ammo stockpiled and any rifle that shoots Aguilla 60 grain Sniper Subsonic well becomes a varmint gun that lives next to whichever house or work door missing one. Some suppressor manufacturers will void warranty if use it in their cans and why doing Form 1 can on next as will be for the 60 grain fodder almost exclusively at work. If likes the 40 better it will be a squirrel only rifle. Really like my 10/22's and prefer them to my nice turn bolts for most circumstances now. During Sandy Hook the Aguilla 60 grain was only rimfire got concerned about toward end as my supply was getting much lower than like.
Old December 17, 2017, 11:26   #35
gunseller
Registered

FALaholic #: 10120
I bought the first 10/22T I seen when they came out. It loves Winchester Wildcat ammo. It will keep 10 rounds in less than a one inch group at 100 yards from a rest not sandbagged. Won't do that with Greentag. Good luck on finishing your build. Pic when done.
Steve
Old December 17, 2017, 11:43   #36
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
(Trim)

It just so happens I have a TacSol barrel, new in the wrap. I think I'll mate it to a receiver and do an accuracy test on it. Look for it in the review section but not before spring when the weather warms up.
Looking at the TacSol SBX 12.5" barrel with goofy looking cage that brings it to 16" legal length. Can thread in suppressor and only add a tad of length but if swap can to another rifle it's not suddenly and SBR. Have found 12" to 14" rimfire barrels to be as accurate as 16" or more. At one time the only thing a long barrel added to accuracy of a rimfire was longer sight radius.

Can read all kinds of articles and there is some disagreement as to whether a 14" or 16" barrel gives optimum velocity. Beyond that longer tubes can slow down a rimfire bullet from increased friction. More I have studied different articles and research documents have reached a personal conclusion that 14" is optimum for standard velocity and 16" for "hyper velocity" or high velocity ammunition. 90% of what I shoot is standard velocity match ammo or subsonics.

Have one factory 10/22 that in initial testing before tearing down discovered it's factory barrel loved CCI Stingers. Shoots them better than any of my mid grade and many of my match barrels though try not to abuse my nice tubes. Little Walmart stainless rifle shot so well with Stingers and other high velocity ammo slapped a plastic Ruger BX trigger group in it, slapped the only silver finish scope had laying around at time (Simmons "take off" from a trade) and run it without doing anything else. It shoots the Aguilla 60 grain and other subs and standard velocity better than any other base model 10/22 ever purchased. Proof that even mass produced factory budget rifles occasionally fall together and align with the stars for super accuracy.

It's why all the new and used rifles have purchased over the years just to get the basic parts for a custom build were tested before sending off or tearing down. Was buying the "slick side" no forward assist Smith M&P 15's to steal the barrels then rebuild with a different upper. Found two that shot so well before tearing down are sitting in a vault as shipped from Smith with nothing but stoning the hammer and sear plus swapping a couple springs.

Found a vendor with one of the TacSol SBX barrels on deep discount sale till Christmas. Seems like a good option for a build that if want to run with my small rimfire suppressor just drop in cage and thread on for a trim good handling 17.5" OAL and when remove rifle is still legal. When you worked for the company did you have any experience with this barrel? In addition to the 10/22T on bench, the Form 1 build will be doing on GP's stock have one more 10/22 action and aluminum trigger housing that will need a barrel. Being able to swipe can off rifle and it still be legal without an extra form is attractive.
Old December 17, 2017, 14:38   #37
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
But I'll not sell to you Hueyville / Michael Crowder. You are a pathological liar - did you think I had forgotten about you publicly slandering me over a transaction that never occurred? F-ck you, you worthless piece of shit.
followed by

Quote:
GP,
Sent you an email from my yahoo account on stock, guess call you Monday with credit card info.
Well, we know he's delusional, as well as a liar, so the cognitive dissonance is understandable.
Old December 17, 2017, 15:44   #38
kwthor
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 49571
Who are you talking too?
Old December 17, 2017, 20:00   #39
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

He is talking to me. Looks like I missed the text below picture of stock when asked what it looked like. Just saw picture after asking and hit tab to send email. Took my money on other deals after our disagreement but not worth rehashing. It's all in the archives for anyone that wants to search.
Old December 18, 2017, 07:34   #40
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
He is talking to me. Looks like I missed the text below picture of stock when asked what it looked like. Just saw picture after asking and hit tab to send email. Took my money on other deals after our disagreement but not worth rehashing. It's all in the archives for anyone that wants to search.
Another lie. We have had one small transaction - an unusual surefire flashlight, which I sold to you for dirt cheap (took some weird rechargeable battery). That went smoothly. This was before I was aware of your character.

All these other deals, including the one you accused me of screwing you on, never happened. They NEVER HAPPENED. You are a lying piece of shit.

So no, of course I will not sell to you again. If anyone else wants a used 10/22 stock as pictured above, painted green, for $50, I'll hook you up. I will not reward Hueyville / Michael Crowder's slander and defamation with another great deal.
Old December 18, 2017, 11:26   #41
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

We have had more than one transaction, again your count is off. Believe its three or four transactions. By your definition that makes your a liar, eh? Just like other claims. If I make just a small mistake when fail to confirm all details 100% then you say it's lying. If the same is turned around don't you become a liar as well? Why not let your windmill tilting go for the sake of the group. Everyone knows you hate me, it doesn't have to turn every thread we both post into a mud slinging fiasco.

Due to the Connan upper receiver and other small parts purchases assumed you still liked my money but if don't want it, fine. What does that say about character, even with your accusations I try to get along and even willing to spend money with you. Now your too good for that is fine by me. I have not tried to pick a fight with you and try to act polite in the forum, guess your incapable of letting go. What would it serve the group to rehash this again, posting emails and such when it's all in the archives.

Since you stated I made one small transaction on a flashlight, if I post receipts for more than that one does it make you a liar or mistaken? You need to decide, as such minor errors in fact checking is a big part of your premise for saying I am a chronic liar. I complimented you on your work and tried to buy an item you had for sale. You had to try and turn it into a fight. I believe you do more to harm your own reputation attacking me than mine, I am not trying to subsidize my living using this place to advertise for my business. I am not leaving and the more you rant, less I pay attention to it. Go measure some defects in DSA parts.
Old December 18, 2017, 12:12   #42
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
We have had more than one transaction, again your count is off. Believe its three or four transactions.
... If I make just a small mistake when fail to confirm all details 100% then you say it's lying.
The difference between a lie and a mistake is knowing. When you make shit out out of whole cloth, including your slanderous assertions that I ripped you off, it's not a "mistake", it's called LYING. But you lie so much that perhaps you are simply incapable of differentiating your delusions and "tall tales" from reality.

Quote:
guess your incapable of letting go . . . .I believe you do more to harm your own reputation attacking me than mine.
of your slander, no - I'm not going to "let go" and no, I can't harm your reputation any more than you've already done.

I did not remember the one from three years ago - 2014. Nor would a receiver (?) show up in my records since your FFL would be the name on record, if such a transaction occurred. So I apologize for accusing you of lying on the number of transactions. You may only have "mis-remembered"
- there do appear to be a total of 2 transactions I can document over the last three years. And predating your malicious slander - I do not apologize for calling you out on that bullshit.

23 Dec 2014 $87.98 RRA
20 Jan 2015 $69.34 SFRB (receiver block )
23 Dec 2015 $ free, RRA (this was the free surefire flashlight)

Last edited by gunplumber; December 18, 2017 at 12:51.
Old December 18, 2017, 13:38   #43
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Flashlight was not free, paid $20 for none working unit you said were throwing in trash. So did you just lie when said light was free? I knew its condition and was worth the $20 to me for parts, saw no reason to round can it so rescued the remains. When looking up transactions remember I use multiple cards, some with corporate names. As an FYI, I find your attacks hilarious. To know my very existence causes you so much discord has some sort of allure. Come step into my world and prove something untrue. Burden of proof is on prosecution, not defendant.

Have no need to lie on internet as people that do know me can easily find this site. Have Files members all around me that can walk in my business anytime I am there. No need for me to post pictures to prove something you doubt as will claim the proof in pictures faked. Impossible to debate you only argue in manner no resolution possible, just continued bickering. Grew used to your "drug addict" accusations since admitted fact was taking pain medication till fall of 2016 due to broken back, neck, mostly titanium leg and dealing with cancer relapses at times. You likely wore keys used to type "dope addict" out causing early demise of a keyboard.

Found an outpatient surgical procedure that if repeated frequently do not have to take Oxycontin anymore but took years of procedures and P.T. Discussed this procedure to inform others with similar pain issues and that had to be done regularly to see progress and eventually was successful in discontinuing narcotic pain meds. An accusation of my lying was nobody could be sedated often as claimed. Posted photos of sugical notes with dates to prove frequency of procedures which you found fault with because had to black out information like Social Security number, emergency contacts, etc. Could photograph my entire world and you would say pictures are staged or Photoshopped.

I never said you ripped me off. Only that you torpedoed the group barrel buy when didn't send print promised so barrel company could verify factory original specs. Two Files members sent them multiple barrels and none measured the same and why asked for a print. Wanted their barrels spun to FN specs, not reverse engineering from barrels introducing tolerance stack. Even had a reputible vendor discussing billet uppers to match the barrels. In retrospect believe you were protecting your business of refurbishing bent barrels and otherwise defective originals.

Good barrels and upper receivers from other vendors may have helped more people build rifles without need of your services. I rode the short bus and took me a little while to connect the dots on why the print never came. Unfortunately the person(s) lurking that had access to dozens of original FN factory prints didn't get these to me till too late. By time they arrived via international shipping along with lag time took to gather them the U.S. Operations Manager of barrel company had retired. His replacement was involved in project and wants no part of FAL products due to The Files group buy thread remarks. Assumes will be treated like other modern FAL vendors even if make a great product. And no I can but won't try to prove this. Was told all emails between myself and them were confidential and privacy statement is in signature portion of all their emails.

As have had to do in past am stepping out of this argument as it covers no new ground or uncovers any facts to prove your accusations. Pointless and likely hurts you worse than me as I have no income stream attached to my participation on this board.
Old December 18, 2017, 14:10   #44
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
LOL

So much wall of text over a thread about a 10/22 barrel

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
Closed Thread