The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old February 22, 2015, 20:27   #201
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
http://freebeacon.com/uncategorized/...istic-missile/
Headed to DC to meet with NRC inspector on the fuel rod issue. May link up with the congessional taskforce on EMP Friday.
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2015, 13:17   #202
C2A1
Registered

Well, back from wacky land. Got the fuel rod status and updates on Iran and Russian. I think we are nuts! I will post an update on the high points later this week.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...n-iran-goes-n/
Old March 03, 2015, 14:27   #203
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
I understand its not an emp issue, but is the nrc talking watching any of the fukushima deal? Seems like they are melting down to the core of the earth )
Old March 03, 2015, 22:38   #204
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

This is one of three lightning arrestor boxes with conduit that feeds coax cable into my radio shacks. Will try to get a picture posted of the box that feeds my 3/4" thru 1.25" heliax cables into shack. Having towers sitting outside with cable to pull antenna signals in adds to the effort needed to keep bad voltages away from fancy gear.

It's sexy...but you ought to run flat copper for the ground at least to the ground rod.

I ran 2"x0.035" from my wall plate to my ground bus...very paranoid.

I am still shopping for some ancient tube-driven stuff to put in the ammo-locker for after the EMP.

Just today bought several technical manuals on the old tube stuff. I am particular fond of the ancient ways.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2015, 12:47   #205
C2A1
Registered

Yep, they are watching. He said none of the ponds cooling methods used here would have made it thru Fukushima. I think in Fukshima one of the cores melted.
Old March 05, 2015, 22:04   #206
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
It's sexy...but you ought to run flat copper for the ground at least to the ground rod.

I ran 2"x0.035" from my wall plate to my ground bus...very paranoid.

I am still shopping for some ancient tube-driven stuff to put in the ammo-locker for after the EMP.

Just today bought several technical manuals on the old tube stuff. I am particular fond of the ancient ways.
All eight corners of my Faraday cage and buss bar running length of shack for chassis grounds are all connected with flat stock. And easy way to get flat in a pinch is introducing 3/4" round copper pipe to the interaction between BFH and anvil. I have dozens of Andrews flat copper grounding kits to keep inductance low if need any. Have over 100 assorted heliax connectors in stock also. Just used my last roll of 2.5" heliax but have rolls of 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" and 1.25" in stock. Have several tube radios with spare matched tubes and tube amp in Faraday box just for grins. Don't want to be that solid state guy who is scratching head as to why radios died.

My weather FAX for downloading raw data and images from sattelites will be nice if the birds keep flying. My marine radar and ground to air radar is extra fluff that's fun to play with. Being able to watch boats and planes may be nice someday. Of course if its the g-men, my radar will be useless. When got all my radar training and endorsements I bought a lot of broken units cheap, repaired and put some in service and others in boxes since had mostly just time involved in recessutating them. Dang sure wish I was an E.E. would help my projects that often are over my head. Luckily had a recent silent key who did 30 years in Navy as radar tech spend some time teaching me hillbilly radar hacking.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2015, 14:40   #207
C2A1
Registered

Yes, Palo Verde has my interest as I will have the same problem. Have meeting in a couple of weeks with Rep.Franks about the issue.
Old March 09, 2015, 13:04   #208
C2A1
Registered

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org...s?f=must_reads
Old March 17, 2015, 20:38   #209
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Light show tonight. You're welcome.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...ights-29699916
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2015, 09:23   #210
C2A1
Registered

Interesting tidbit. Storm weakened as it approached. However, this time there were systems watching the grid and the recent projections of system failure were confirmed. Enough so that it has gotten attention at interesting levels in DHS.
A lot of stuff coming across the desk. As my contact said yesterday, there appears more trip wires everyday. We have been asked to begin to layout a plan for "rural survivalbilty and sustainability". Food and Fuel are the focus. Can kernal areas be created? Low population density (carrying capacity) and restricted access. Assume "twilight" conditions. We'll see what happens.
Old March 21, 2015, 19:29   #211
C2A1
Registered

Pretty much, but it says that there not going to be any help short of these kernal areas. We have four areas defined with two a go. The question being asked is if we can get this done in time. The fuel rod storage ponds a big issue.
Old March 22, 2015, 08:51   #212
one hand clapping
Registered

FALaholic #: 35299
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Pretty much, but it says that there not going to be any help short of these kernal areas. We have four areas defined with two a go. The question being asked is if we can get this done in time. The fuel rod storage ponds a big issue.
Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop.
I suspect that MY AO just might be one of those "kernal" areas you speak of, with the Greenbank facility and accompanying instalations located up and down that valley from sugar grove in the north to the Greenbrier bunker to the south..
I don't expect you to authenticate this mussing.
Old March 22, 2015, 09:18   #213
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
People who pay attention are preparing, those that are not will die.
Adding solar banks and putting in more fuel, fuel for pulling water up.
Got a couple of generators, thinking of adding a third as a redundant backup.
With water at 260ft, need power to lift or area is non liveable.
Friend asked about spare pumps, as in, did I have one or two put away, smiled, told him there would be K's around area to pick from, if or when we lost power.
Have you researched the possibility of a DC power(solar) deep well pump as one of your redundant options for water? Silent and works whenever the sun shines. Of course you would need a tank or cistern to store some water at the surface, but if I lived in AZ I would have some storage capacity.

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2015, 15:52   #214
Vorpal_weapon
Registered

FALaholic #: 17016
My AO in its extant state meets a lot of the criteria you describe. It’s rural, with a relatively low population density. It has a moderate climate with abundant rainfall (which is why they call it "Green Country"). There is a vast wildlife management area not far from me. The local economy is predominantly agricultural (cattle, poultry, fodder crops, timber, etc.) - everybody and their brother is a "cattleman." Many people I know produce a lot of their own food (folks here tend to be kind of self-reliant.) Additionally, there is an abundance of good water, and I don't think the value of that can be overstated. Natural gas is produced in the area, but is mostly undeveloped as of yet. An acquaintance (used to work together on an inter-agency taskforce) living a few miles away has a producing gas well on his place. I think that would be tremendous.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

NRA Life Member
Vorpal_weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015, 12:11   #215
Vorpal_weapon
Registered

The place certainly has its ups. It takes a little planning and travel to enjoy some of the amenities of modern society like the Bass Pro Shop, Dillard’s or the Macaroni Grill, but you get used to it.

If my plans included extended travel to meet those interesting new people you mention, I'd prefer a bit of advance comms and IFF. I was never fond of meeting engagements.

Be safe

NRA Life Member
Old March 30, 2015, 18:09   #216
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
Quote:
Only "good" thing on any of this, more people seem to be making roughly same plans to survive once grid goes down.
For sure. Myself and a couple of guys and their families will join together for mutual benefit and support, whatever that will be, when the time comes. We are trying to cover all bases, which will help when we pool resources. The tough part will be the family or friend(s) that didn't prep any and come knocking. Of course, we'll do what we can, but we are all preaching to do something for yourself so you have something to bring when you do come knocking.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2015, 22:52   #217
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ya View Post
For sure. Myself and a couple of guys and their families will join together for mutual benefit and support, whatever that will be, when the time comes. We are trying to cover all bases, which will help when we pool resources. The tough part will be the family or friend(s) that didn't prep any and come knocking. Of course, we'll do what we can, but we are all preaching to do something for yourself so you have something to bring when you do come knocking.
There are quite a few family members and friends I have tried to engage in logical discussion that are so ignorant or politically left, will have to turn them away without so much as a sip of water. In fact, if they act as I expect, will have to give them the choice of leaving or join the row of heads on fence posts surrounding the Ponderosa. Have family members that won't use a microwave and stop everyday for fresh bread and vegetables due to the poisons in prepared foods and radiation in microwave. None have more than three days food supply, cash money or items of value to barter, guns or anything except a town home, Toyota Prius and a debit card. Some of the snide remarks these types have made will be repeated as I turn them back if make it to my porch.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 31, 2015, 01:11   #218
racer766
Registered

FALaholic #: 3511
The real problem is that for almost everyone, "prepping" is a fad. You go through your briefs phase, then back to boxers.

Hard to convince the type 1 diabetic that storing up enough food for a month is useful when all the insulin is going to be bad before then because the fridge is off. More than a month? Forget about it.

There's enough survival gear tucked away in corners for the short term. Long term is the real issue.
racer766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015, 21:10   #219
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer766 View Post
The real problem is that for almost everyone, "prepping" is a fad. You go through your briefs phase, then back to boxers.

Hard to convince the type 1 diabetic that storing up enough food for a month is useful when all the insulin is going to be bad before then because the fridge is off. More than a month? Forget about it.

There's enough survival gear tucked away in corners for the short term. Long term is the real issue.
It's nice to know you are worried about those of us with the cleaver always hanging over our heads.

It's marginally arrogant to assume we haven't spent some clock-cycles working out ways to keep the stockpiled meds cold. All the insulin I have is listed good until 2017...if I can keep it cold.

I have 3 very distinct plans for doing so...only one needs power, and that is solar. All components ready to go.

Don't worry...you'll be rid of us soon enough.

Old April 01, 2015, 10:26   #220
C2A1
Registered

Age, it depends. In looking at data from WWII and merchant ships sunk, 40-50 year olds out survived the 20 year olds in the water. It seems to be a mind body thing. Older people mentally were able to prepare and deal with the situation. Oregon Trail folks were not youngsters. It cost a lot of money to get on the trail so most of the people were in 40+. From the EMP study, they expect 10-15% of the 15-25 year olds to check out because of the lose of their social network, especially if the parents wig out.
The issue we are dealing with now is sustainability. You've lost 90% of your population at the 18 month mark. Who and what do you need to begin to recover? Is it EMP or geomagnetic? That affects things since if EMP a lot of the world will be out there (However, a lot will be gone because of the lack of US and Canadian grain disruption). Geomagnetic, well, we are on our own, might as well be on Mars. Who can set up a telegraph system, repair a locomotive, fix things? Most of the folks you will need got lost in the cities. Once you get thru the first productive growing season (year 2), certain abilities will become extremely valuable. Will they be there?
Old April 01, 2015, 11:21   #221
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
For those on insulin, don't give up, loose hope, there is ALWAYS a way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4pNApoNtGI

http://www.doomandbloom.net/how-to-make-insulin/
We have been over this before.

That isn't happening.

I *did* buy some field phones today though.

Old April 01, 2015, 15:57   #222
TXMoose
Registered

FALaholic #: 73164
Quote:
We have been over this before.

I *did* buy some field phones today though.
Good for fishing if they are the hand cranked type

Last edited by TXMoose; April 01, 2015 at 20:27.
TXMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2015, 16:30   #223
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
I like cracked pepper.
Old April 01, 2015, 17:33   #224
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Is cleavage a crack? Because I like that.

Although I always said I was an ass-n-legs man. There's a couple of cracks there, too.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2015, 19:22   #225
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2015, 21:32   #226
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
So how cold do you need to keep insulin? From November to April,around here,a stream or ditch typically isn't over about 40 degrees. Colder in dead of winter,though not froze completely.
A well around here usually puts out water [I]maybeI] 50 degrees.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2015, 23:06   #227
racer766
Registered

Quote:
It's nice to know you are worried about those of us with the cleaver always hanging over our heads.

It's marginally arrogant to assume we haven't spent some clock-cycles working out ways to keep the stockpiled meds cold. All the insulin I have is listed good until 2017...if I can keep it cold.

I have 3 very distinct plans for doing so...only one needs power, and that is solar. All components ready to go.

Don't worry...you'll be rid of us soon enough.
Dude... I'm referring to my personal situation. Did NOT mean to offend.

Even without geopolitical stressors and other events, the question keeps getting asked about once a month. She asks "Why is she still here?"

Diabetic neuropathy. Every inflammatory symptom on the books. Borrelia infection. Macular degeneration. Most of the autoimmune disease related symptoms.

Some days my main worry is that she might use one of my pistols on herself.
Old April 02, 2015, 16:20   #228
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Dude... I'm referring to my personal situation. Did NOT mean to offend.

Even without geopolitical stressors and other events, the question keeps getting asked about once a month. She asks "Why is she still here?"

Diabetic neuropathy. Every inflammatory symptom on the books. Borrelia infection. Macular degeneration. Most of the autoimmune disease related symptoms.

Some days my main worry is that she might use one of my pistols on herself.
My apologies...I admit it is something of a hot button for me.

Old April 02, 2015, 16:23   #229
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
So how cold do you need to keep insulin? From November to April,around here,a stream or ditch typically isn't over about 40 degrees. Colder in dead of winter,though not froze completely.
A well around here usually puts out water [I]maybeI] 50 degrees.
50 degrees would be good.

And exactly. I have a lake...though it may empty in a true SHFT situation.

I also have a nice deep pit I have been making in my garage.

And if it's not an EMP I have solar panels and a peltier fridge.

Old April 02, 2015, 22:15   #230
RG Coburn
Registered

Just bought one of these to store my HF rigs in when not in use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331510279090...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Very nice,rugged,padded like crazy.These are a pretty good deal right now.
Old April 02, 2015, 22:26   #231
racer766
Registered

Quote:
50 degrees would be good.

And exactly. I have a lake...though it may empty in a true SHFT situation.

I also have a nice deep pit I have been making in my garage.

And if it's not an EMP I have solar panels and a peltier fridge.
How reliable long term are the peltier units? I was thinking about them the other night. My daughter and I are into building solar photovoltaic panels for our summer trip. We've got a 60W panel from last year, have the parts to assemble a 100W panel this year.
Old April 12, 2015, 11:04   #232
BiGB808
Registered

FALaholic #: 18195
Not suprised its public at all....."we need bigger budget " comes next
Old April 12, 2015, 18:19   #233
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
How reliable long term are the peltier units? I was thinking about them the other night. My daughter and I are into building solar photovoltaic panels for our summer trip. We've got a 60W panel from last year, have the parts to assemble a 100W panel this year.
Pretty reliable AFAIK.

I have 2 100W panels for the fridge...they are power hungry little things.

Old April 16, 2015, 12:36   #234
C2A1
Registered

US Admits N. Korea, Maybe Iran, Can Now Target it with EMP-Nukes

US Adm. Gortney: Pyongyang now has 'ability to put a nuclear weapon on a KN-08 and shoot it' at the continental US.

By Mark Langfan Arutz Sheva Israel National News
First Publish: 4/12/2015, 1:19 PM

Iran's Revolutionary Guards fire a Saegheh missile (illustration
Reuters
In a blockbuster admission, Admiral Bill Gortney, Commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and US Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) disclosed that the Pentagon now believes North Korea has mastered the ability to miniaturize its nuclear bombs so they can be fitted onto their latest mobile KN-08 intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), which are capable of reaching the continental United States.
At the news conference, Adm. Gortney flatly stated, Pyongyang has “the ability to put a nuclear weapon on a KN-08 and shoot it at the homeland [the continental United States].” He expressed confidence that the US could knock down such a missile if launched by North Korea or its ally, Iran.
He also admitted, however, that it is “very difficult” for the US to counter the threat, because its intelligence is unable to follow the mobile ICBMs and give an efficient warning before they are launched.
The admission was accompanied by the announcement that NORAD is reopening its nuclear-EMP-proof Cheyenne Mountain bunker,
The KN-08 is a road-capable, highly mobile ICBM, which can be hidden anywhere throughout the North Korea and could be fired on a short-countdown virtually undetectable by American intelligence. As Adm. Gortney further explained about the North’s KN-08 ICBM, “It’s the relocatable [highly-mobile, can go anywhere – ML] target set that really impedes our ability to find, fix, and finish the [KN-08] threat. And as the [KN-08] targets move around and if we don’t have a persistent stare [i.e., the ability to monitor its location at all times - ML] and persistent [intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance] that we do not have over North Korea at this time, that relocatable nature makes it very difficult for us to be able to counter it.”
Despite Adm. Gortney’s concerns, he still believes that if a KN-08 was fired at the US homeland, in the Admiral’s words – “Should one get airborne and come at us [the US homeland], I’m confident we would be able to knock it down.”
Even if this is true, it is not clear if the US ballistic defense could knock down an incoming North Korean ICBM in time, if the nuke is intended as an EMP weapon, which explodes soon after re-entering the atmosphere.
System can defend against Iran strike, too
In another dramatic revelation, Adm. Gortney revealed that America’s anti-missile missile shield is not only configured to repulse a North Korean missile, but an Iranian ICBM as well. The Admiral explained that the current assessment is that the threat of an ICBM EMP strike comes from North Korea and not from Iran, but that the system could handle both scenarios. “Our system is designed for North Korea, and if we get our assessment wrong, for Iran. Its [the US homeland missile shield] is designed to defend the nation [the homeland] against both those particular threats today,” he said.
Experts have estimated that the KN-08 has a range of 5,600 miles and would be capable of hitting the US’s west coast if launched from North Korea. Experts also believe the missile is not accurate.
However, Adm. Gortney’s statement about North Korea’s nuke-capable KN-08 ICBM must be taken in the context of his simultaneous announcement of the Pentagon’s concern about an EMP-missile strike on the United States homeland.
South Korean intelligence has long believed that North Korea has been developing an EMP-nuclear device. As early as June 2009, Kim Myong Chol, who was an “unofficial” spokesperson of the then-Supreme Leader Kim Jong-il, openly threatened use of a “high-altitude detonation of hydrogen bombs that would create a powerful electromagnetic pulse” bomb.” And, in November of 2013, South Korea’s intelligence service (NIS) issued a report to the South Korean parliament that North Korea had “purchased Russian electromagnetic pulse (EMP) weaponry to develop its own version” of a nuclear EMP device.
EMP strike on South Korea?
In 2005, then-USAF Major Colin Miller posited, in a public-domain US Air Force University thesis, that the North Koreans could tactically use a nuclear-EMP weapon on the Korean Peninsula to “level-the playing field” against the electronic dependent forces of the United States and South Korea.
The tactical North Korean EMP “decapitation” attack would likely bag as POWs the 40,000 living US marines now guarding South Korea because an EMP doesn’t kill human beings, only electronics.
A tactical nuclear-EMP aimed at South Korea would not need an ICBM to reach the 30-50 km level above the earth to explode. Rather, it would only need a much smaller short-range missile to achieve its suitable EMP-location above the Korean peninsula for an effective EMP detonation.
Given the degree of cooperation between the Islamic Republic of Iran and North Korea, it is highly likely that any nuclear-EMP-technology mastered by North Korea has already been shared with Iran. Therefore, the EMP-proliferation danger from North Korea to Iran is a catastrophic danger.
North Korea has been threatening a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the US for two years, as explained in this ABC News report from 2013. At the time of the report, North Korea was said to be "years away" from a developing a missile that could hit the US: These "years" have apparently passed.
And yet, inexplicably, US President Barack Obama is currently negotiating a deal with Iran that he himself has admitted would enable it to manufacture its own nuclear weapons, 12-13 years after it is signed.
Old April 16, 2015, 14:10   #235
Vorpal_weapon
Registered

I've always considered Israel to be one of America's surest friends. In the matters under discussion, Americans and Israelis are certainly facing the same enemies.

How about that Israel National News doing a better job of being the "press" and informing Americans than the vast majority the american news media.

Quote:
Feds have been stockpiling food for a very long time now.
Suspect they have known the above for a long time and are just covering their own asses.
One flash, and then back to 1840???
YH, large federal food stockpiles in underground facilities has always been a part of the U.S. Civil Defense program (now lamely known as FEMA). Its what we did with all the stuff USDA bought to subsidize the agricultural industry (at least what we didn't give away in domestic and foreign welfare programs).

What is truly concerning to me is that the agencies of our government are identifying threats, making plans, etc. and NOT bringing the rest of us along. Its an open secret that certain agencies are working furiously to develop significant capabilities (including serious additional underground facilities in middle America) without at least generally sketching out the presumed threat to the civilian populace.

Civil Defense during the Cold War actively engaged Americans to promote overall preparedness (my Dad was on the National Civil Defense Council when I was a little kid). There were programs (including public information- good general information) designed to give advice and support to the American people. Regular folks were informed and encouraged to participate - to become better prepared. There was a very robust and somewhat public plan. To support the public information and public drills, there were vast stockpiles of food, fuel, generators, etc., even mobile hospitals . . .

Fast forward a few decades . . . The all-hazard planning and response protocols used today heavily depend on the availability of modern technology and communications (smart phones, tablets, the internet in general) and unaffected areas outside the disaster area to supply and support response and recovery operations. If you get the cubicle people outside their technology-dependent envelope, they’re pretty much out of action.

Its kinda sad. I guess its good that I learned about preparedness from the former generation.

NRA Life Member
Old April 22, 2015, 17:51   #236
C2A1
Registered

Iran Flexes Its Power by Transporting Turkey to the Stone Ages
By Micah Halpern | 04/22/15 10:31am
Half of Turkey—44 of 81 provinces, 40 million people including those living in Istanbul and Ankara, suffered a massive power outage that lasted a solid twelve hours. It happened on Tuesday, March 31st.
It happened because Iran wanted it to happen. The blackout in Turkey was caused by a cyber hack that originated in Iran.
This cyber attack was payback, a taste of what Iran has to offer. Everything went down. Computers, airports, air traffic, traffic lights, hospitals, lights, elevators, refrigeration, water and sewage, everything simply stopped. In an instant, Turkey was transported back to the stone ages.
Attacks like this one are caused by malware inserted into computers via an email or a thumb drive that is attached to a computer that is somehow connected to the electric grid. The invading codes respond to commands and are activated by a message—often something as simple as an email. And it doesn’t even have to be an opened email. The program can be automatic or it can be controlled by an operator, it all depends on the type of hack. That’s how sophisticated these attacks can be.
There is a reluctance to announce a cyber hack. Bloomberg Business, on April 1st, cautiously wrote about the attack on Turkey, “while the source of the problem is still unknown, recent revelations that a 2008 oil pipeline explosion in Turkey was orchestrated via computer… demonstrates the increasing ability to penetrate systems.” Those who know, know.

Iran’s cyber army has propelled itself into one of the world’s best. They have become very good at their craft and have probably inserted malware into the electric grids of many, many, other countries—probably even the United States. Over the past twelve months we know that Iran has successfully and repeatedly broken into the defensive systems networks of several Western nations. These reports come from Debka, Israel National News, Breitbart and even the Pakistan Defense Forum.
As far back as September 27, 2013 The Wall Street Journal reported on an Iranian hack against US naval computers. And this week the American Enterprise Institute and the Norse Corporation (a cyber security company) released a study entitled “The Growing Cyber Threat from Iran.”
USA Today, on December 2, 2014, described a highly sophisticated coordinated hack that had just taken place and explained that Iran attacked 50 targets in 16 countries. Cylance a cyber security firm headquartered in Californian called a different Iranian hack Operation Cleaver—named because the word “cleaver” was repeated over and over again in the code. And an Iranian hacker team responsible for other attacks has been nicknamed “Cutting Kitty.” The kitten reference is an allusion to the Persian cat. These events were all reported, albeit only lightly covered, in papers across the US.
There is a timeline that can help us understand why Iran decided to hack Turkey and why it happened when it did. It all began with Yemen and Saudi Arabia’s coalition and bombing in Yemen. The Saudis were out there confronting the Iranian-supported Houthi.
On March 26th Turkish President Erdogan defended the Saudi bombings. “Can this be allowed?” asked Erdogan. “This is intolerable and Iran must see this.” He was referring to Iran’s proxy involvement and sponsorship of the Houthi, the rebel tribe that is intent upon taking over Yemen.
Little did the Turkish leader realize how great a sin he committed by challenging Iran publicly. Four days later, on Monday, March 30th the Turkish charge d’affaires to Teheran was summoned. The Iranian foreign ministry spoke forcefully and forthrightly. They said: “We demand a clear and convincing response.” Iran wanted an apology for what they termed Erdogan’s “inappropriate and unusual response.”
Turkey did not apologize.
So Iran turned out the lights in Turkey. It was an almost perfect timeline.
The Iranian team working on this and similar cyber attacks is called the Ashiyane Digital Security Team. Ashiyane means “nest” in Farsi. This team has such a reputation among hackers that there are websites dedicated to their exploits and their hacks. The team chose not to attack Turkey’s well guarded electric power system – instead, they hit the distribution network. That was deliberate. In that way Iran was able to shut down and then reopen the power sources when they decided that the Turks had learned their lesson.
It is safe to assume that Iran has already infiltrated the electric grids and other vital targets across Europe where cyber security is often very lax. Like in Turkey, they probably have not insinuated their malware into the various main reactors but instead have found the weakest of cyber links which is the distribution side of the electric grid.
This attack on Turkey is the first time that Iran shut down a country through a cyber attack. This kind of an attack can bring the enemy to its knees very quickly. It was the first attack of its kind, I doubt it will be the only attack.
Old April 26, 2015, 10:33   #237
one hand clapping
Registered

Is your family's lives worth $1000.00?

If so-
PLEASE- find the closest natural foods supplier, or go online and purchase
300 lbs of organic brown rice- usualy in 25 lb bags
200 lbs of green lentils
200 lbs of black beans
100 lbs of rolled oats
several 5 lb buckets of peanut butter
200 lbs of wheat berries and a grinder.
10 gallons of GOOD cooking oil
10 lbs of GOOD salt
a few lbs of cyanne and black pepper.
a few lbs of Baking powder and baking soda
Store in METAL garbage cans with lids to keep critters out.

IF you have those supplies, you can keep yer family alive for two years, IF you have a secure water supply.
Now adding greens, garlic,potatoes and other items you can grow-if the climate or security conditions allow can make those seemingly bland foodstuffs tastey.
Add in meat from hunting
Also stock up on herbs

Sorry for the thread drift ,but those of us who are paying attention to the grid down senerio , need to be really prepared for it to have happen yesterday.
God help us all.
Old April 29, 2015, 09:46   #238
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hand clapping View Post
Is your family's lives worth $1000.00?

If so-
PLEASE- find the closest natural foods supplier, or go online and purchase
300 lbs of organic brown rice- usualy in 25 lb bags
200 lbs of green lentils
200 lbs of black beans
100 lbs of rolled oats
several 5 lb buckets of peanut butter
200 lbs of wheat berries and a grinder.
10 gallons of GOOD cooking oil
10 lbs of GOOD salt
a few lbs of cyanne and black pepper.
a few lbs of Baking powder and baking soda
Store in METAL garbage cans with lids to keep critters out.

IF you have those supplies, you can keep yer family alive for two years, IF you have a secure water supply.
Now adding greens, garlic,potatoes and other items you can grow-if the climate or security conditions allow can make those seemingly bland foodstuffs tastey.
Add in meat from hunting
Also stock up on herbs

Sorry for the thread drift ,but those of us who are paying attention to the grid down senerio , need to be really prepared for it to have happen yesterday.
God help us all.
OHC's list is actually quite well thought out an parallels our food supply closely. We use Sam's Club but Costco or wherever you can buy bulk bags of food will suffice. We keep 100 pounds of rice in our cool, dry storage area in 25 pound bags also. Keep rice upstairs to eat, when run low buy fresh bag, pull oldest date bag in storage, replace with new, break into five pound packages for current consumption. So usually it's 100 pounds in storage plus what's in pantry. Have same amount of lentils as do not have to soak and cook for extended time like other dried beans. No sense in comparing item to item as each family has different tastes, number of people to feed and such. Keep much more salt as can use to pack and store meat without refrigeration. Also salt will become a valuable commodity unless you live in Salt Lake City... In ancient cultures salt was often as valuable as bronze or other metals. Can palate some nasty food if have enough salt. Cayenne pepper also doubles as stop bleed for wounds and has multiple homeopathic uses. Metal cans are doubly important as rodents will find a way in any plastic container if not put in metal. For about what most families spend per week in groceries and eating out, can buy enough bulk dry foods to feed same family for months. Enough said about food.

Grid down our biggest issue is medications. Now surpassed two years on all necessary daily medicine and more on most which can reduce dosage to survive much longer. Some requires refrigeration. Found small energy efficient unit about double size of dormitory fridge but has separate small freezer. Stays in basement where naturally cool so cycles less and keep 1/2 refrigerated medicines in it and half upstairs. If one dies while out of town we lose half of inventory. Downstairs unit has dedicated battery stack to run in event of power loss. Batteries run it 24/7/365 and charger keeps batteries topped off. How important do I consider this? Have four strings of SAFT nicad telecom batteries that retail at $5,000 per string. Lucked out due to job and have much less paid for batteries. Could have same reserve capacity with $2,500 in lead acid but just a few years of life. Add dual float chargers, dual true sine wave inverters, solar panels to help keep charged in grid down its about a 25,000 dollar retail battery system (batteries have 20 year unconditional warranty) to run a 200 dollar refrigerator and have a small dorm unit in event primary breaks down. Plug it up and cycle every time do generator test. Even at my discounts and samples from battery vendor over 5,000 out of pocket on battery backup to medicine fridge. If life depends on refrigerated medicine, then no amount is too much to spend. Also in storage shed have camper fridge that runs off electricity or propane. If gets to point can't keep batteries charged will go to propane. Anyone can afford a propane unit from a parted out camper or new one from camper parts supply.
Old April 29, 2015, 22:13   #239
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Because of my job, I go to work unarmed everyday!
But not for much longer, retiring and hanging it up for good.
I would die of stress if not allowed to have gun. Have one of those racks that hang from shower head holds shampoo and such. Ours has a stainless five shot 44 special in a zip lock baggie. Naked and all covered in soap in shower last place want get cornered. I am one paranoid never out of reach of gun or not going. Wife didn't like sleeping with cocked and locked 1911 under both pillows of bed when first married. Had remove pistol from under passenger side pillow and swap my side to pistol with hammer down. Within a year or so my 1911 was back under my pillow and hers had a Colt 380. Now she keeps a Walther under her pillow. When she used to go out of town frequently before bone disease would revert to habit of side by side 18" 12 gauge coach gun to take place of my warm female. I don't sleep well anyway and changes whack me more and the shotgun kind of took up the space used to having someone in. And no, never sexually assaulted the coach gun. It's not that warm.

A job that took my gun would have to pay darn well and my Damascus Tanto would always be tucked in small of back. Err, gives me cold chills even thinking about. May not even sleep tonight now. Spend entire night looking for the guys hiding in the trees wearing camouflage that watch me all the time. Some day going to catch those bastards.
Old May 09, 2015, 19:12   #240
C2A1
Registered

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org...-electric-grid
Had lunch with Peter on Wednesday as part of the EMP work with DHS. There is some congressional testimony, I will post as soon as I can get my hands on it. These meetings don't leave you feeling very good. Interesting take on Russian-Chinese war games including nuclear options and third party players.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:32   #241
C2A1
Registered

The EMP strike would take out the US and a part of Canada and Mexico. Don't have a number in front of me but a huge chunk of the world population would starve also. This actually plays into the hands of those who might do it because it allows consolidation of power in those states.
Fairly long discussion on the status of the Chinese economy, chinese govt. maintaning control and the war with China ( trades offs of limited strikes evolving into an EMP event.) This tied to Russia's plan and a destabalized middle east. There is no question that many of these players are moving to fill what they see is a US power vacuum.
Old May 10, 2015, 16:56   #242
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

L Haney will know what talking about but no way we can survive an EMP, especially if on weekend or holiday. Three priority major power alarms in text box this morning. Had planned on church with Mom then go to shop and finish up a couple of AR builds that are starting to haunt me as uppers built, buffers and stocks on. Just need to install triggers, safeties and mag/bolt releases.

Driven around all day and each sites only issue is what's called a grasshopper fuse. Looks just like rear leg of grasshopper and when pops it stands up like he trying to jump. Even a blind man can see so no way the on call tech showed up on site. Just logged as on battery side instead of power plant or high voltage side. Battery techs no supposed to work high voltage on a low voltage work order. Totally silly, but if call NRC and say it's a fuse in power plant I am supposed to wait for Ma Bell tech to come, let him change fuse then check batteries. Add two hours or more per call on Mother's Day. Luckily Ack Electric sells them buggers and keep a zillion on truck as seen every one in power plant pop three times while fixing an issue. So Ma Bell is paying $425 service call, $100 rush fee and one string of new batteries per site as can't leave without one fully charged string.

Total about a grand per site because on call tech decided to report low voltage issue rather than ride out and change fuse though will get paid because job order says they showed up last night. It's a wonder anything works in this country. Guess enough private contractors like me rather fix than wait for tech who was supposed to fix yesterday.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:05   #243
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
I have followed this thread from its beginning and have found it to be very informative, but a little scary too. One thing I have wondered about all along is just what we are doing in the way of hacking other countries. All I ever read about is just what kind of damage that they (whoever they are) can do to us. We have used the Stuxnet virus on Iran, and I have read that it was extremely sophisticated. Is that the only card we had to play? I can't imagine that our sanctioned hackers are just setting on their hands lamenting how far along our enemies are getting with this technology while we have no counter attack plans or ability. Can there be such a thing as MAD mutually assured destruction with all this hacking as there is, or was, with the nukes?
Shoots High is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015, 09:34   #244
C2A1
Registered

As far as cyber, we have folks working the issues. My contacts say we are pretty good but they also tell me our systems are very easy. Obviously can't get into it but during war games an Army team shut down supplies to certain bases, rerouted ammuniation, even got into Navy ship tracking systems. After 48 hours they were told to stand down. My son at 15 was in a summer program and was introduced to military program. Within a hour he hacked face book and got into the currency trading markets (they have asked him back this summer). The other side has whole armies working on this. One thing I found interesting is code being installed inside chips being sold out of china. Almost "skynet" like. They are in all the systems being built using these chips. How it will work I don't know. Are these "sleeper" cyber devices?
As far as MAD, most of the EMP players do not care. The up side is to great for them. I asked why would China risk losing the money we owe them and maybe 500M people. The answer: they win. In 50 years they control half the planet. We will be maybe up to 1910. EMP levels the planning field. Those with the largest Armies in place win.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:55   #245
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
5 pages in this thread, and not an optimistic post in the lot. I gather we are royaly screwed it's just when are we going to get it.
Shoots High is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2015, 16:53   #246
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Well, have a Fresh look at Tesla's extraction of Electricity from the cosmos, he demonstrated a toy electric boat with wireless power and directional control that did Not use a battery of any kind.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 06:00   #247
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
L Haney will know what talking about but no way we can survive an EMP...
Yup.

My industry, natural gas transmission, is almost completely dependent on SCADA systems for operation.

We'll go blind. Not just blind, all the compressor engines and motors are controlled by PLC's that will be toast.

There IS no manual override for that. Last few years we have been adding electric horsepower, units from 6 to about 20 thousand horsepower. They have their own substations tied into the grid which might as well be a giant antenna.

In 1950 there would have been almost no effect. All the compression was done with big recip two stroke engines that had simple pneumatic controls. These were operated by people at the stations 24/7. Most of the stations had housing onsite for the workers and their families.

But that makes for a big payroll. So as it became available electrical controls were retrofitted allowing remote operation of compression. As more capability in the automation was developed personnel reductions followed right along.

Today, thousands of miles of pipe are operated from Houston by a few guys in a control room. You can imagine the fragility of that web of data communications that allows that to happen.

Because the gas behaves as a fluid in the pipes, there is friction that opposes the flow. That means we have compression about every fifty miles along the mains and the larger lateral pipes. Drop out even a couple of those and the gas stops moving.

But the failure will be graceful. The pipes won't explode. All our overpressure protection is dumb as a rock and has no automation for it to function.

There just won't be any natural gas after the line pack is used up. That won't take long at all.

Last edited by L Haney; May 15, 2015 at 06:20.
L Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 07:31   #248
RG Coburn
Registered

"There just won't be any natural gas after the line pack is used up. That won't take long at all."

You fellas with the natgas powered standby gennies paying attention? They work until the pipe is empty. Never understood some of our local hospitals using nat gas as a fuel for emergency generators. At least have a parallel system on diesel or propane.
Old May 15, 2015, 09:27   #249
one hand clapping
Registered

This thread is a shinning example of why I decided to learn to live like a peasant, REAL close to the earth.
Kinda funny to remember myself all dolled up in manhattan several decades ago, eating at windows on the world, then jetting off to some country on the other side of the planet.

I never thought I would choose to volentarily go native, BUT its been one of the smartist things that I have done in my earth walk.
My kids WILL survive, given what they have learned / lived in the first two decades of their lives.

I see the grid down in my minds eye. Have for most of my life--just the timeline was fuzzy.
Kinda funny how spirit wises ya up to things, IF yer listening. Of course the kids thought I was crazy for decades UNTIL they started seeing all the current signs themselves. Three of em have acknowleged their mistrust, and now see I was right all along. They now thank me for homeschooling them until HS and rasing them like natives- daughter gradutes in 2 weeks with a cum 4.0 avg and enters college as a sophmore, accepted to the WVU med school . She shoots pretty good as well.

FOOD, water, fire ,shelter , self protection devices and associated gear,long range com,as in short wave / ham gear, friends and family.

Don't forget some musical instruments and games, or a deck of cards.

I am currently packing my library in steel cases and will place in a concrete structure, so as to maintain a storehouse of information for the following generations.
I have a VERY good library-covering most basic science, energy, real history, philosophy, math up thru calc and physics.
Given how quick info dissapears in a digital domain, those of us with BOOKS willl have a decided advantage in the out years, for rebuilding a CIVILIZED society from the ashes.
Old May 15, 2015, 13:41   #250
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

Quote:
With the gas transmission system shut down, say from EMP or the grid just falls apart on its on, how long would the systems survive without being maintained/looked after?
Just curious how long the system could sit idle/shut down before the systems won't come back on line without having to be rebuilt, etc.
Has this whole thing ever been shutdown all at the same time?
You can tell, I don't know anything about gas lines and such, except I see signs along the road that says don't dig here, high pressure gas lines, which I take it is this stuff???

These are the high pressure lines you see the signs for. Our mains go from 500 psi for the older ones to 1200 psi for the newer, larger (42" or so) lines.

You pose an interesting question about 'fallow' time. The methane (natural gas is 94~98% methane) has no oxygen in it. So, even at atmospheric pressure in the equipment, nothing will rust internally. That is also why the gas in the pipe cannot burn. Too rich (anything above 20% methane in air won't combust) to do that.

Break the pipe and all bets are off.

The big recips and gas turbines could conceivably sit for years and need only minor attention if they were 'mothballed' to keep humid air out of them. The electrics? I don't know enough about them to offer an opinion but I believe after an EMP event the motors would be worthless.

No, the system has never been "shut down" to my knowledge since placed into service. Around here that was 1929. We have lost some small laterals and city gates due to ruptures and lightning induced fires but that is rare. There is redundancy built into most of the system and especially the main east-west and north-south corridors.

We also have storage basins/wells where gas is sequestered at high pressure and used during periods of high demand. I can't say where those are. But they ain't in the right places for this kind of event.