The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2017, 23:56   #801
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvm View Post
I have been following this thread for some time

On another forum there appears talk about the Deep State and its end goals

There is also the book of Q. If these are in fact not false flags, things could

indeed get interesting. If the deep state people get exposed there maybe

nothing they wouldn't do
The Deep state could not prevent Trump from becoming president with everything stacked against him.
That tells me, the so called deep state is highly overrated??????
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 11:13   #802
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/36...e-threat-to-us
I like Mattis, No BS guy. From my last visit, he is right to a degree. NK can't get a high yield nuke on target at ground level east of the rockies. Given the yields (<1Mt) and accuracy (+-10 miles), they don't have an effective city strike system But they sure can get a high altitude device where they need it.
If this goes hot, it will not be a single shot situation. It will be everything including the kitchen sink. That is why Bio and delivery systems have been discussed. This isn't going to be a kind/gentile situation. He will lose but so will we. Is he crazy? About like the guy that shot up a church or concert.
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 12:05   #803
Zimm
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76302
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Palmetto Florida
Posts: 172
I like your ending there.one thing nobody,including me ,ever really thought about. Do we really understand his motivation? Did we understand any mass killers motivation? Sure we can blame it on religion for some .do we know if kimmy believes he is a God and will survive ? Like snack bars think they will get virgins ,he may believe he will cleanse the earth of undesirables .
Scary line of thought I'm taking here
Zimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 12:34   #804
Exit308
Old Fart
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 62143
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 5,077
If one of those civilization ending genies mentioned in this long discussion gets let out of the bottle, you will find yourself and your 'tribe' on one of three lists.

1. Dead
2. Ill or injured and soon to be dead.
3. Survivor

Plan accordingly.
__________________
"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph." Robert E. Howard


The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 16:52   #805
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
If one of those civilization ending genies mentioned in this long discussion gets let out of the bottle, you will find yourself and your 'tribe' on one of three lists.

1. Dead
2. Ill or injured and soon to be dead.
3. Survivor

Plan accordingly.
1. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, like where the bomb goes off or the gas, poison, bio crap being let loose.

2. Not being prepared, dependent upon the government comes to mind quickly.

3. Lucky, someone else got hit with the initial kill shot, time to bring out the preps, get into a mask, get into your hide hole, with food, water, ammo and time to change into survival mode in ones head.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 17:41   #806
Zimm
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76302
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Palmetto Florida
Posts: 172
My problem ,besides being close to mcdill afb, is my 2sons live in the denial zone and don't believe anything will ever happen and can't wrap their mind around it.im okay with that,it's their life and they are still young and in that nothing's gonna get me phase.they live closer to mcdill than I do.in fact one sees the planes from there fly right over his house sometimes .so my preps gotta be on the down low to keep from upsetting everyone.most fall into the hurricane prep stuff and I can get them to do that.so if your relatives don't believe like us try and get them to prep for other disasters .i mentioned to my youngest who's in med school about getting gas masks in case something happened . he said they are given a fitted mask that's custom made for them to keep out tb ,and any other foreign agent. My main concern I'm going to talk about at Christmas is for them to meet at my house if anything happens
Zimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 18:04   #807
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
My problem ,besides being close to mcdill afb, is my 2sons live in the denial zone and don't believe anything will ever happen and can't wrap their mind around it.im okay with that,it's their life and they are still young and in that nothing's gonna get me phase.they live closer to mcdill than I do.in fact one sees the planes from there fly right over his house sometimes .so my preps gotta be on the down low to keep from upsetting everyone.most fall into the hurricane prep stuff and I can get them to do that.so if your relatives don't believe like us try and get them to prep for other disasters .i mentioned to my youngest who's in med school about getting gas masks in case something happened . he said they are given a fitted mask that's custom made for them to keep out tb ,and any other foreign agent. My main concern I'm going to talk about at Christmas is for them to meet at my house if anything happens
Ya just do the best you can, all you can do with family.
Because I can, am able, I put up extra stuff for folks I know will make their way into here in case of a national emergency, extra water reserves, extra food, and ammo, weapons, which would never be an issue with the crap I have now.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2017, 14:26   #808
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
http://westernfreepress.com/2017/12/...mp-protection/
However, DOE is trying to take control of the issue and down playing EMP.
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 18:38   #809
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...D=ansmsnnews11
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2017, 19:42   #810
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
About time to drop his next one with a kill shot.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 10:02   #811
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor
 
C-ya's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16313
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
About time to drop his next one with a kill shot.
I'm surprised we haven't been doing that. Kim is getting practice launching, we should be getting some TBMD practice for only the cost of the interceptor. Everyone wins, right? (That's for our liberal friends who are all about being equal and feeling good and getting their participation ribbon. I don't care if Kim is happy or not.)
__________________
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
US out of the UN!!
UN out of the US!!
C-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 10:55   #812
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Ya just do the best you can, all you can do with family.
Because I can, am able, I put up extra stuff for folks I know will make their way into here in case of a national emergency, extra water reserves, extra food, and ammo, weapons, which would never be an issue with the crap I have now.
My grandmother was a prepped by today's definition, my mother takes AR 15's home when visits often and is set up on the farm. Brother and most cousins are gun people with leaning toward surviving. Christmas more men packing then not and plenty of truck rifles. My family is constantly reminded of Great Depression and WW II rationing. Without an attack on our soil or pandemic/natural disaster food is an important commodity. Maybe use history and all the times large portions of poulation starved as a teaching point.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2017, 12:47   #813
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
My grandmother was a prepped by today's definition, my mother takes AR 15's home when visits often and is set up on the farm. Brother and most cousins are gun people with leaning toward surviving. Christmas more men packing then not and plenty of truck rifles. My family is constantly reminded of Great Depression and WW II rationing. Without an attack on our soil or pandemic/natural disaster food is an important commodity. Maybe use history and all the times large portions of poulation starved as a teaching point.
One of the things I see on TV, hear on the news that I actually believe, about half of American adults don't have an extra 500.00 for any type of emergency, and that right there, makes half the country subject to anything that goes wrong in about 5 minutes.

The other thing, is that most Americans have 3 to five days worth of food in the home.

And how high a percentage, if the tap water does not flow, even have a few gallons of water stored???

More than enough Americans have about nothing for an emergency, to cause chaos for all of us that are prepared in spades.

Prepare for panicked people.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 19:09   #814
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 14,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
One of the things I see on TV, hear on the news that I actually believe, about half of American adults don't have an extra 500.00 for any type of emergency, and that right there, makes half the country subject to anything that goes wrong in about 5 minutes.

The other thing, is that most Americans have 3 to five days worth of food in the home.

And how high a percentage, if the tap water does not flow, even have a few gallons of water stored???

More than enough Americans have about nothing for an emergency, to cause chaos for all of us that are prepared in spades.

Prepare for panicked people.
And then when they come banging on the door crying, we will be called evil people ( and worse ) when they are, of necessity, turned away. In some cases, with extreme prejudice.
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017, 22:20   #815
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
And then when they come banging on the door crying, we will be called evil people ( and worse ) when they are, of necessity, turned away. In some cases, with extreme prejudice.
I pray that time never comes, but if it does, well, it won't be pretty.

Its just mama and I here, but we've stocked enough for four people for a year, which cost money, time, and forethought.

We have a couple of families that will be heading here, we're isolated, if things ever do go sour, but they have their own supplies and the right mind set.

Other than them, showing up here, ya better have one hell of a skill set in high demand, if you only have the clothing on your back, like a surgeon.

Actually have had friends tell me, ones that could not get thru a power outage for a day, or eat for more than a couple if the trucks stopped running, they planned to gang up on me here.
Told them plain, ain't happening and thanks for the warning.
Those I'm sure I'd have to deal with harshly.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 07:23   #816
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor
 
medicmike's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 3183
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florence, OR
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Actually have had friends tell me, ones that could not get thru a power outage for a day, or eat for more than a couple if the trucks stopped running, they planned to gang up on me here.
Told them plain, ain't happening and thanks for the warning.
Those I'm sure I'd have to deal with harshly.
My main partner on the ambulance was pretty well prepared, a bit before Y2K one of the other medics said he was going to show up at his house if it hit the fan....Mike responded "that's great, the pigs are going eat well for a few days and your wife is just adorable"

Of course the snowflake complained that he had been threatened and Mike got to spend some time in the supervisor's office. He said the look on the other guy's face was totally worth it....
__________________
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker at Lexington Green

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 08:31   #817
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 14,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
I pray that time never comes, but if it does, well, it won't be pretty.

Its just mama and I here, but we've stocked enough for four people for a year, which cost money, time, and forethought.

We have a couple of families that will be heading here, we're isolated, if things ever do go sour, but they have their own supplies and the right mind set.

Other than them, showing up here, ya better have one hell of a skill set in high demand, if you only have the clothing on your back, like a surgeon.

Actually have had friends tell me, ones that could not get thru a power outage for a day, or eat for more than a couple if the trucks stopped running, they planned to gang up on me here.
Told them plain, ain't happening and thanks for the warning.
Those I'm sure I'd have to deal with harshly.
Exactly. A very good friend, a lawyer and very intelligent and well off, once joked about coming to Fortress Armstrong "if and when" ( which of course he doesn't believe could EVER happen Told him I suspected that the circumstances would involve an entirely different justice system and that he'd better bring along much better bargaining chips.

Same guy once asked how many guns I own. "Need to know, baby, and you don't".

I hope all of this never comes to the test, though.
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 14:10   #818
Brian in MN
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 289
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post

Same guy once asked how many guns I own. .
A female, and very anti-gun, acquaintance once asked me that question. I replied that I did not know. This wasn't a good enough answer for her so I asked her how many pairs of shoes she owned.
__________________
Kalashnikov: The most successful point and click interface in the world.
Brian in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 14:51   #819
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
I ain't a prepper, I'm a life long survivalist, and many folks don;t understand that one.

My lovely wife does not fully understand all the ends and outs of survival, but she does exactly what she is told to do when I have what she calls my "monster face" on, like when I go out the front door armed up at O2 dark thirty when something is happening outside.

A ton of snowflakes are going to be in for a rough education, if or when they ever witness many an hard old boy with their monster faces firmly in place.

Rule number one, always take care of you and yours first, and never allow anyone to put those in harms way.

So many people will hesitate to flip the switch between normal times and harsh times they will end up going down hard.

So never hesitate.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 15:53   #820
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 14,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in MN View Post
A female, and very anti-gun, acquaintance once asked me that question. I replied that I did not know. This wasn't a good enough answer for her so I asked her how many pairs of shoes she owned.
Should have asked how many dildoes she owned. I mean, same thing, penis substitutes, right ???
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 17:32   #821
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Should have asked how many dildoes she owned. I mean, same thing, penis substitutes, right ???
Ya might want to be careful on that one, she might just whip that sucker out and beat ya with it!

Some of these old gals are just plain junk yard dog mean.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 17:58   #822
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 14,001
That's why you always carry ---- "but officer, I had no choice - she was attacking me with a dead weapon !".
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 13:39   #823
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ng-about-powe/
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 13:45   #824
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ex...rticle/2579715
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 13:49   #825
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
Been a hot week. Asked to be in DC jan 11th.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/24935...-ryan-saavedra
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 13:55   #826
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
Why I'm headed back:
https://legalinsurrection.com/2017/1...t-emp-attacks/
It is in the FY 2017 NDAA.
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 14:07   #827
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor
 
medicmike's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 3183
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florence, OR
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Why I'm headed back:
https://legalinsurrection.com/2017/1...t-emp-attacks/
It is in the FY 2017 NDAA.
Finally some good news!
__________________
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker at Lexington Green

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 14:33   #828
legolas1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 34296
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
How long would it take to harden the grid against an EMP attack? years? If a 'super' EMP were used, could the increased pulse defeat the level of hardening that is currently planned?
legolas1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 16:13   #829
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
Complex issue. You have the grid itself which will take a year or maybe two if the government can manage to get it's act together. The big issue are the embedded Obomites that are really trying to stop this internally. They are down inside the DOD and control the DOE and FERC.
In the real world fixing the transformers is only part of the issue. The big item are the electronic control modules which control the power plants but also fuel, water etc. Power plant is only good if it can get fuel. The good news is that these systems can be replaced fairly easily, if there are spares. Still large sections of the country maybe down for over a year (look at PR). The enhanced weapons will damage more small systems and burn more homes and strucutres down.
You got it, can we get there fast enough? As we go to fix this, it is a destabilizing effect. Use it or lose it from the others side's viewpoint.
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 16:14   #830
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...D=ansmsnnews11
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 16:44   #831
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Complex issue. You have the grid itself which will take a year or maybe two if the government can manage to get it's act together. The big issue are the embedded Obomites that are really trying to stop this internally. They are down inside the DOD and control the DOE and FERC.
In the real world fixing the transformers is only part of the issue. The big item are the electronic control modules which control the power plants but also fuel, water etc. Power plant is only good if it can get fuel. The good news is that these systems can be replaced fairly easily, if there are spares. Still large sections of the country maybe down for over a year (look at PR). The enhanced weapons will damage more small systems and burn more homes and strucutres down.
You got it, can we get there fast enough? As we go to fix this, it is a destabilizing effect. Use it or lose it from the others side's viewpoint.
Damn, as if the obammy left behind people want the USA grid to fall apart, think it has something to do with them wishing/wanting to reduce the overall population???

Of course, so long as they are not reduced.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2018, 00:30   #832
legolas1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 34296
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
C2, i would agree, it may come down to a use it or lose it decision. 1 Nuke at low level takes out a city, 1 nuke/super EMP at high altitude takes out an entire developed country, the EMP is now the poor man's nation killer.

If the developed nation becomes hardened against the EMP, the poor man loses his edge and with it likely his life. So it may be, that by increasing efforts to harden against EMP, we have decreased the time left before hostilities begin. Of course it was always only a matter of time.
legolas1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 18:13   #833
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
Just FYI
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...vladimir-putin
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 08:48   #834
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
badzero's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 65818
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,287
Ireland an article A couple of years ago that showed the UN had given modern computers to the norks as part of some cultural enrichment program. I can't find it now though.
Hell for that matter anyone else remember all the data that got "stolen" during the Clinton years when they rented rooms in the White House out to foreign nationals?
__________________
_____________________________________________

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 09:23   #835
frankxtc
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 10952
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 90
After thinking about the EMP thing, I realized that there might be another way the bad guys can disable/wreck the USA power grid w/o drama.
SCADA networks and PLC’s control all the switchgear.

In spite of the fact that rules are supposed to prohibit connecting the SCADA control networks to the INTERNET, sleepy people don’t want to drive @ no o’clock, so sometimes the plant net and the public net get connected. Supervisor does not want to know how the guys fixed things that night, just that he can tell the suit “we resolved the outage in x hours”.

Some places put a firewall up between the plant SCADA net and the public net. False sense of security, firewalls.

Even if the SCADA nets are isolated, there is always some guy w/ a flash USB drive in his pocket that gets plugged in to one of the PC’s on the SCADA net, “just to do this upgrade”. What else has he used that flash drive for??? STUXNET- Game Over.
__________________
I have been called a gun crank.
That is an exaggeration.
I would say merely that I am more interested in fine shooting rifles than the average man.
I do not go in for collecting guns.
I never buy a gun unless I really need it.
As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now.
frankxtc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 16:59   #836
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...wamp-mr-trump/
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018, 16:25   #837
Wil-C
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17357
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Complex issue. You have the grid itself which will take a year or maybe two if the government can manage to get it's act together. The big issue are the embedded Obomites that are really trying to stop this internally. They are down inside the DOD and control the DOE and FERC.
In the real world fixing the transformers is only part of the issue. The big item are the electronic control modules which control the power plants but also fuel, water etc. Power plant is only good if it can get fuel. The good news is that these systems can be replaced fairly easily, if there are spares. Still large sections of the country maybe down for over a year (look at PR). The enhanced weapons will damage more small systems and burn more homes and strucutres down.
You got it, can we get there fast enough? As we go to fix this, it is a destabilizing effect. Use it or lose it from the others side's viewpoint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
The enhanced weapons will damage more small systems and burn more homes and strucutres down.
I understand magnetic induction & it's relationship with electrical generation.
It is a function of the rate of movement between a flux line and inductor relative to the distance between the two.
However I don't understand how an EMP could burn down a home?
Can it induce sufficient voltage or amperage within house wiring to create an overload sufficient to overheat the wiring?
I know very little about EMP other than it is essentially a very powerful magnetic wave (flux line) but it seems to me it would induce only a very short, ie: a second or a few, induction of current within house wiring.
True it being a magnetic wave it'd have an outbound and inbound wave going over a fixed point as the field expands and then collapses.
However is it that time frame long enough to induce sufficient electrical activity within house wiring to start a fire?
It seems to me that time frame of expansion & collapse of the field would only last a couple seconds, consequently house wiring should be able to take the momentary overload. Am I missing something here?
__________________
"A gun is a tool" .....Shane.
Wil-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018, 19:15   #838
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 5,025
An EMP would not be a direct "accelerant" or "initiator" of structure fires i.e. it would not overload wiring to cause enough heat to burst into flames unless its a planet killer. Fires would most likely be the result power surges as the electrical grid collapsed and certain areas suddenly got hit with so much overload that transformers would explode and electrical panels overload and the plastic breakers weld together and catch on fire. If 1/3 of the substations in an area faulted and fuses popped as designed the homes downstream would see a brown/black out. Some systems unfortunately will fault in a manner where the "fuses" weld shut forcing the suddenly unbalanced load and huge amount of electricity with no place to go but follow the paths of fault closed and dump a lot of amperage in systems that are not equipped to handle it.

Germany's grid is in total chaos compared to ours at present:
Quote:
It was 3 a.m. on a Wednesday when the machines suddenly ground to a halt at Hydro Aluminium in Hamburg. The rolling mill's highly sensitive monitor stopped production so abruptly that the aluminum belts snagged. They hit the machines and destroyed a piece of the mill. The reason: The voltage off the electricity grid weakened for just a millisecond.

In the following three weeks, the voltage weakened at the Hamburg factory two more times, each time for a fraction of second. Since the machines were on a production break both times, there was no damage. Still, the company invested €150,000 to set up its own emergency power supply, using batteries, to protect itself from future damages.

"It could have affected us again in the middle of production and even led to a fire," said plant manager Axel Brand. "That would have been really expensive."
NFPA report:
Quote:
Fires involving electrical failure or malfunction:

Between 2010 and 2014, U.S. municipal fire departments responded to an average of 45,210 home structure fires involving electrical failure or malfunction. These fires caused annual averages of 420 civilian deaths, 1,370 civilian injuries, and $1.4 billion in direct property damage. Non-home structure fires involving some type of electrical failure or malfunction accounted for an estimated annual average of 12 civilian deaths, 210 civilian injuries, and $614 million in direct property damage during this same period.

Fires involving electrical distribution or lighting equipment:

U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated annual average of 31,960 non-confined home structure fires involving electrical distribution or lighting equipment in 2010-2014. An estimated annual average of 14,760 non-confined and non-home fires involving electrical distribution and lighting equipment resulted in 20 civilian deaths, 190 civilian injuries, and $659 million in direct property damage each year.
I have posts on how to protect you entire home in this thread and others if look back. If want can go through the ABC's of surge protecting every system and proper bonding of common ground system. It's a bit of a chore but from emergency disconnect at meter to whole house surge protector at panel to GFI outlets in appropriate areas you can protect your home. Just know you have to cover phone, cable and satellite t.v., HVAC, outdoor lighting, etc and not give the EMP multiple easy paths into your home. Also remember if neighbors house burns fire can jump tree to tree following the canopy and burn an entire subdivision so have to pay attention to fire from others spreading to your home,
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2018, 14:24   #839
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
badzero's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 65818
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,287
If it's been covered already I missed it, sorry. What's the general concensus on electronic aiming devices? Personally I've been staying with tritium and away from batteries just to err on the side of caution. However I just picked up an aimpoint for a $100. I'm pretty sure it's not an airsoft knockoff, but its going on a .22 so it should be ok.That said, it got me thinking what are the odds of it surviving an emp pulse?
__________________
_____________________________________________

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2018, 15:22   #840
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 14,001
My guess would be that it would survive just fine - I base this guess on the fact that there are no external wires or long internal wire runs acting as antennae. IIRC, earlier in this thread the subject of LED flashlights and the like came up and were thought to be safe.

I'd welcome a more knowledgable assessment, though.
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2018, 15:39   #841
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
My guess would be that it would survive just fine - I base this guess on the fact that there are no external wires or long internal wire runs acting as antennae. IIRC, earlier in this thread the subject of LED flashlights and the like came up and were thought to be safe.

I'd welcome a more knowledgable assessment, though.

Agree, to be safe, might be wise to use whatever the Army uses on their rifles, in that I would suspect, they tested them to make sure they would still work for the troops after an EMP event.

Army has used/still use Aimpoints, which is what's on all mine, but its just a guess.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2018, 00:01   #842
legolas1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 34296
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
Post EMP, no new batteries will be made (in the area affected), anything battery powered will eventually run out of juice. How long will tritium last in a scope?
legolas1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2018, 01:13   #843
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas1 View Post
Post EMP, no new batteries will be made (in the area affected), anything battery powered will eventually run out of juice. How long will tritium last in a scope?
12 to 15 years is what most are warranted for.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2018, 08:57   #844
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
badzero's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 65818
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,287
And they are functional without the tritium, worse case, I've got a box of one inch long Chem lights that a buddy gave me that can be taped over the fiber optic if need be. I wish I knew where he got them, they're at least 10 years old and still work fine. I just sacrificed one to test.
__________________
_____________________________________________

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018, 12:30   #845
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
Where we are at:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-former-selve/
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2018, 10:27   #846
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
Met with Dr. Pry last week. There is a 12 volume report on EMP coming out of the taskforce (yes, huge amount of data). DOE is stonewalling it but it will come out. As soon as it is released, I'll post the link as it is a congressional report.
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 02, 2018, 10:39   #847
Fn/form
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 14765
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
Met with Dr. Pry last week. There is a 12 volume report on EMP coming out of the taskforce (yes, huge amount of data). DOE is stonewalling it but it will come out. As soon as it is released, I'll post the link as it is a congressional report.
Thank you, sir.
Fn/form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 06, 2018, 10:50   #848
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
https://www.newsmax.com/peterpry/put.../05/id/846812/
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2018, 11:17   #849
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,494
We know certain things were passed to NK. There has been a bit of watch this hand while the other hand does something else. The real issue is the previous folks allowed this to evolve!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...der/ar-BBJZaW7
C2A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2018, 12:23   #850
medicmike
Get off my lawn
Contributor
 
medicmike's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 3183
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florence, OR
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
We know certain things were passed to NK. There has been a bit of watch this hand while the other hand does something else. The real issue is the previous folks allowed this to evolve!
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...der/ar-BBJZaW7
This is some scary stuff right here......

"Moscow will negotiate with Washington and the West from a position of nuclear superiority," Felgengauer writes. "Putin called on the West to admit defeat, sit down and negotiate an end of sanctions and a new world order ... otherwise its doomsday nuclear super-weapons are ready."
__________________
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker at Lexington Green

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files