The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old June 02, 2018, 23:16   #1
Combloc
Registered

FALaholic #: 55596
Picked Up a "New" Norinco Today

In the form of a 1911. Now, I don't particularly have any interest in the 1911 or the caliber. I admire and respect the design for what it is but I never bought one mainly because I don't want yet another caliber to keep track of in my stash. I'm mainly a 9mm guy because it allows me to buy all kinds of different designs spanning over 100 years in both pistol and rifle form. .45 just never attracted me. Anywho, I saw this one in a local shop and it had somehow made it 30 years without anyone pimping it out so I picked it up for a closer look. When I pulled the slide to the rear, I immediately noticed the old familiar Chinese cosmoline I had seen so many times so many years ago but thought I would never see again. That told me it had most likely never seen any range time either. It didn't have the box or the extra magazine but I kinda' felt I should buy it if only to keep it in original form; I'm big on originality you know. Besides, how often do you get a chance to buy a "new" thirty year old Chicom these days in the US? So, home it came and I figured I'd post some pictures both prior to and after an initial cleaning to share. As it turns out, it really does appear to have never been fired after import. I'm not opposed to shooting it but I probably never will. I've shot 1911's before and I assume this one would be no different so there is no need. Anywho, here are some general and detail pictures prior to cleaning off the old Chicom grease:

Numbered parts include the frame, barrel and magazine. Nr. 2 is shown here. Unfortunately, Nr.1 is lost to time:

Barrel and link. I have no idea what "MP" means:

Bore. Looks nasty doesn't it?? That's just cosmoline:

General details. There is lots of information online about these pistols but not many detail pictures. Remember, these still show the grease so the finish is actually better than shown.

The remaining pictures were taken after cleaning. I've been collecting Chinese firearms since the 80's and I have to say, while almost every one I've ever seen has been well made and Quality where it counts, they seem to have put a little extra attention into machining and finish on the exterior of these 1911's. I haven't looked ad one in many years but I remember their Makarov's being pretty nice too. No, it's no prewar Colt but, for a Chicom in the 80's, it's pretty well done. My first pistol was a 9mm Tokarev made in Factory 66. It worked perfectly no matter what I put it through but it was never pretty.

Schweet bore:

This last picture is probably blasphemy to may diehard 1911 guys but time has proven that the Chinese did a good job on this one:

So, that's my newest pistol. It's nothing special and never will be but it's fun to still find an old Norinco still in the factory grease. I'll pass it along one day to someone else who will appreciate it for what it is and keep it as it was built. But they won't get the enjoyment of doing an initial cleaning as I already had that fun. HA HA!! Okiedokie, I hope someone enjoys this drivel and thanks for your time!
Old June 03, 2018, 01:03   #2
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Great pistol. Will last many years.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 03, 2018, 01:27   #3
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Good writeup. If you ever decide to let it go, I will give it a good home as a backup for my Norinco:
raexcct2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 03, 2018, 10:23   #4
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Yep, great "review" and excellent pics, as usual! That was a good find.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 03, 2018, 11:01   #5
Combloc
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
Good writeup. If you ever decide to let it go, I will give it a good home as a backup for my Norinco:
I'd take you up on that but, at $600, I already paid more than it's worth so I'll have to hold onto it for a number of years just to get my money back
Old June 03, 2018, 13:25   #6
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Good to see your layout and comments.

$600, Yeah, I would pay that.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2018, 13:57   #7
skinnydash
Registered

FALaholic #: 79317
Got mine in the early/mid 90's for $200 ish. Have the box and packing materials, but wish I still had the original mag for it. Only thing I've replaced was the mag release a year or so ago. Mags wouldn't stay in when firing. Also slapped on some Colt gold medallion grips.
Sometimes it comes out to the range with the Kimber in case someone wants to use a 45, but the Kimber is my regular 45 shooter now days. Mine is exactly 2000 off your number Combloc.

Last edited by skinnydash; June 04, 2018 at 14:16.
skinnydash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2018, 23:22   #8
Combloc
Registered

Neato!
Old June 05, 2018, 15:28   #9
perryturner
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6271
A few months ago, I picked up one locally from an individual for $525. The box was a little beat up. I don't know why I bought it. I already have two other 1911s I never shoot.
perryturner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2018, 17:48   #10
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combloc View Post
I'd take you up on that but, at $600, I already paid more than it's worth so I'll have to hold onto it for a number of years just to get my money back
Actually, if I had the cash now, I would pay it. Are you interested in any parts to trade? Have an NOS matching numbers milled Bulgarian AK47 parts kit with original barrel that I would be willing to trade.

Also, have M14, Galil, and of course FAL parts to trade.
raexcct2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2018, 17:48   #11
LAFAL
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 85
My friend Richard took his and his Dad's to Clarks Customs outside Shreveport to see if they could be accurized and still keep the original look. Mr. Clark told him No, and finished the sentence to say that they were exceptional pistols and he should keep them just as they are. He could do all kinds of extra work on them with sights, trigger job, new barrel, (gunsmith stuff) but said to keep them as they were. His Dad his both of them now since Rich passed. Says he brings them out to the range and shoots them from time to time. Richs was parkerized and his Dad's blued.
Old June 06, 2018, 04:14   #12
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Got mine when they were first available for $200. out the door.
I did change the trigger and grips, but other than that she has performed admirably.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2018, 10:36   #13
squid8286
Registered

FALaholic #: 7276
I have ended up with four of them. They are really rugged, reliable pistols.
squid8286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2018, 15:10   #14
tobinb
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21731
It did clean up very nicely
Old June 12, 2018, 21:39   #15
squid8286
Registered

FALaholic #: 7276
I hate to say this, but I would rather have one of these than some of the Colts or Springfields being made today. These two manufacturers (especially Springfield) attention to detail seems to be hit or miss these days. Norincos aren't usually the prettiest pistols out there, but I have never seen one that wouldn't run. I'll take functionality over beauty any day! The one thing I have noticed that can be a problem in the Norincos is undersized firing pin retaining plates that let the extractor "clock." This is an easy fix with an oversized plate from Evolution Gun Works. Just take a small file and dress the left edge of the plate down till it is a tight fit where it slides into the back of the slide. You might also have to do a little fitting to the extractor itself on the side where it mates up to the plate.
squid8286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 19:19   #16
jsparky1983
Registered

FALaholic #: 72974
I picked up one of these a year or two at the opposite end of the spectrum. It was PD confiscated gun with gawdy fake pearl grips, a stainless magazine and damn near zero finish. My buddy was into the PD for $75 in trade in and I got said gawdy Norinco for $150 or $200, I forget. Swapped the grips and changed the recoil spring and it shoots like a champ. Good pistols.
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote