Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old April 19, 2018, 16:23   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Mixed 223/5.56 Brass

Have 6,000+ Lake City cases all cleaned, sized, trimmed, primer pockets uniformed, flash holes deburred and ready to run. Just went in LGS and like a moron bought 6,000 plus mixed lot of once fired 223 and 5.56 cases. Sucks because all my cases have ready to load are 100℅ Lake City all within a three year spread on dates which means should be pretty consistent. These buckets in back of truck will have to segregate and pull just the Lake City that fall in my three year range to add to lot sitting ready then prep to run.

The rest would have to match headstamp and see if enough of any one commercial to get a decent size run or three and then what to do with all the low rent brass. Lot of the Walmart bargain brand headstamps in the buckets and refuse to load due to breaking decapping pins because flash holes are so off center on just enough of it to piss me off. What does once fired mixed 223/5.56 brass sell for now? May sell it all or go through and just pull the Lake City 2013 through 2016 and sell all the rest. Never would have thought having too much brass would be an issue but 500 rounds of mixed 7.62x51 came in the deal of which half is Berdan primers.

Have 15,000 Berdan large rifle primers left and 8,000 on e fired cases all from same lot that ran thorough my rifles not someone elses and have most of it recalled. Load it twice and all my Berdan primers are done so this bastard lot is no good to me. Managed to match 1,500 once fired 45 acp cases for the bargain found in 185 grain JHP's and finally have enough once fired 40 Smith to do my first big run. Bought the white box Federal in bulk cases till have 8,000 ready to load and every case head matches. Do not like getting to much variety in mixed case lot to load for anything but 45 acp bulk cast and 380 that will run through my M11's. Anyone want some brass? Need some kid like I was when started reloading. From age 12 to about 18 every piece was worth its weight in gold to me. Would sit and separate mixed range pickup all night long and separate into lots for running. Didn't matter if only had 30 pieces, would prep and box till found more in later trips to places could pick up odd cases long as I wanted. Amazing how time changes your perception of things.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018, 18:15   #2
maxaks
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76002
For what it's worth

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipmen...-/114-1761035/

Kinda on the cheap side.
223 5.56 is always laying on the ground when I go shooting. Old brass vultures are always trying to sell it at the range. I got a pile of boxes of it that I am not looking forward to processing
maxaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018, 15:56   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

What I thought, not worth much more than I paid for it. Got 6,000 rounds of mixed once fired 5.56 and 223 for $75 with 500 mixed once fired 7.62 and in the box of 7.62 they dropped a bonus bag of about 100 rounds of mixed commercially loaded 6.8 with three different headstamp from trade ins where people threw their remaining ammo in on the deal. The loaded 6.8 about covers my $75 making the rest free and was able to pick just over 200 Lake City 7.62 and 100 commercial 7.62 cases out of box that was more like 700 total cases. Don't even want to look at the 5.56 yet.

Today was called and they loaded 1,000 cast bullets for 50 AE along with 2,000 45 acp 230 grain ball projectiles for $25 total. They move the shop to new location next weekend and everything they load in my truck doesn't have to get moved with the main inventory. They keep finding piles of stuff in back storage rooms and make me pay just enough to say got money to haul off though some refused to pay for, said sell to someone else and when got home was in back of my truck anyway. Sneaking bullets and brass in my truck when not looking to get rid of it. Guess I needed more crap to sort and figure out what to do with it.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 20, 2018, 17:15   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Unloading truck so told the guys my back was hurting today if wanted me to buy all the crap had piled up to load it for me. Had no idea these were 1,000 count boxes of 45 acp Ball. That's 4,000 projectiles. Went through the bag of 6.8 factory loaded ammo and it's mostly large primer Remington 6.8 hollow points. 72 total of the Remington ammo and 35 Federal milspec loaded with 90 grain Gold Dots. Just 40 rounds of the loaded 6.8 covers my $25 and there are boxes not told are part of the deal still to be unloaded and sorted but are heavy so will sit till tomorrow. Gun shop needs to move more often.
Old April 20, 2018, 21:59   #5
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Pm sent
Old April 21, 2018, 17:58   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have all this 5.56 Lake City in a three year time span of head stamps ready to load.

Now have two more five gallon buckets of brass to sort as don't want to miss chance to add more Lake City in the proper year range for the big run. Been meaning to run these for months but different projects keep,getting in the way. Loaded over 15,000 6.8's but done with them for now. Have the 1,500 45 acp 185 grain JHP's and decided am going to run the 4,000 230 grain ball projectiles got yesterday. Ordered 5,000 rounds of once fired brass and guy claims all is nickle plated with same head stamp. That added to all the commercial will give me plenty of SHTF 45's if needed and can keep running cast weekly for range ammo. Even with a line of progressives and power prep tools loading is becoming a job.